HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Physical presence up front....Please

Old
07-06-2006, 03:48 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I'd keep one or two of them. You can have some non-physical forwards, but not as many as the Rangers have now.

Absolutley, right on the money. 90 percent won't throw more than a hit every week

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Barnaby

You have a serious problem when the most physical guy in your top 6 is Martin Straka. The Rangers definately need a couple guys who can go into the corners and play tough hockey. The Rangers need at least two guys in their top 6 who are willing and capable of being a physical force every night. I would love to add a Mark Bell who I believe Larry mentioned, and another guy in the top 6 who can go into the corners and take a beating in front of the net. When you have a line with say a Prucha and Immonen you really need a guy who can be that type of player to balance it out and create room. A guy who scores those garbage goals...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Well I'd love to see it, only problem is the only ones I am familiar with are Hugh, Hollweg, and Greg Moore. Mind filling me on the others style of play?

No problem, I'll do my best.

Dubinsky, Dupont and Falardeau have a fair amount of grit to their game and do not shy away from the physical stuff.

Dubinsky was singled out in a poll that I saw about a year ago as the most annoying guy to play against in the WHL. Seen mainly as an agitator for most of his WHL career, Doobs has now filled out considerably and will likely play even more physically.

Dupont has had pretty good size for a few years now and has thrived in the WHL with his gritty play. Dupont centered a line with I think Andrew Ladd two years or so ago and started getting a rep then as a pretty hard nosed player. Of the two, Doobs has the better skill level, but Dupont seems to have a lot of heart which can never be underestimated.

One game I remember listening to a couple of years ago had these two going nose to nose all night long. The announcers kept commenting on how they were going at each other. Dupont was clearly the bigger player at the time, but they would seem to be pretty close now.

For his part, Falardeau has always been fairly physical. His size was more in abundance than his skill so there was little else for him to leverage into an advantage.

Lee's biggest rep was as more of a coachable player than a big grinder, but it would seem that his coaches have told him to point his game in a more physical direction.... and he's listened. From the little I have seen and most of what I've read his skating has improved quite a bit. He can keep up with the play much better and gets more and more involved physically. Spends more time driving the net and taking the body.

Falardeau is a good example of how if a guy has character, you can't just write him off. He contunues to improve.

Korpikosky has one word that seems to fit him best: RELENTLESS. I have seen barley anything of him, but from what I've read he's got a great work ethic. Shift in, shift out. Work, work, work. Not much of a banger as far as I know, but like Falardeau he has the rep of a player that takes direction well. He'll adapt a more physical edge to his game, I'm certain.

Graham. I watched a few of his games while he was in the Q and came away impressed more with his mobility and skill than his physicality. The guy is HUGE out there but I thought moved pretty well, big guy or no. Have never seen him lay anybody out as much as just grind it along the boards. Word was he did manage a pretty decent hit on Prucha last year in training camp. More of a skill player with size than a size player with skill IMO. It will be interesting to see how he develops this year if he can stay healthy.

Bahensky I know very little other than a few games that I've listened to. Seems to be a better than average skater with a fair bit of skill

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB View Post
Or some of these players could be the Rangers top six (Dubinsky, Jessiman, Graham Korps)
Exactly

I think some of these guys and others could evolve from the 3rd and 4th liners into 2nd and maybe even 1st line players.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 05:38 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

Dubinsky, Dupont and Falardeau have a fair amount of grit to their game and do not shy away from the physical stuff.

Dubinsky was singled out in a poll that I saw about a year ago as the most annoying guy to play against in the WHL. Seen mainly as an agitator for most of his WHL career, Doobs has now filled out considerably and will likely play even more physically.

Dupont has had pretty good size for a few years now and has thrived in the WHL with his gritty play. Dupont centered a line with I think Andrew Ladd two years or so ago and started getting a rep then as a pretty hard nosed player. Of the two, Doobs has the better skill level, but Dupont seems to have a lot of heart which can never be underestimated.

One game I remember listening to a couple of years ago had these two going nose to nose all night long. The announcers kept commenting on how they were going at each other. Dupont was clearly the bigger player at the time, but they would seem to be pretty close now.

For his part, Falardeau has always been fairly physical. His size was more in abundance than his skill so there was little else for him to leverage into an advantage.

Lee's biggest rep was as more of a coachable player than a big grinder, but it would seem that his coaches have told him to point his game in a more physical direction.... and he's listened. From the little I have seen and most of what I've read his skating has improved quite a bit. He can keep up with the play much better and gets more and more involved physically. Spends more time driving the net and taking the body.

Falardeau is a good example of how if a guy has character, you can't just write him off. He contunues to improve.

Korpikosky has one word that seems to fit him best: RELENTLESS. I have seen barley anything of him, but from what I've read he's got a great work ethic. Shift in, shift out. Work, work, work. Not much of a banger as far as I know, but like Falardeau he has the rep of a player that takes direction well. He'll adapt a more physical edge to his game, I'm certain.

Graham. I watched a few of his games while he was in the Q and came away impressed more with his mobility and skill than his physicality. The guy is HUGE out there but I thought moved pretty well, big guy or no. Have never seen him lay anybody out as much as just grind it along the boards. Word was he did manage a pretty decent hit on Prucha last year in training camp. More of a skill player with size than a size player with skill IMO. It will be interesting to see how he develops this year if he can stay healthy.

Bahensky I know very little other than a few games that I've listened to. Seems to be a better than average skater with a fair bit of skill

Korpikoski, Falardeau, Dupont, and Dubinsky all seem like they may fit

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:21 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'm not sure I'd agree with him always being fairly physical. In college he actually didn't really use his body nearly as much as he could. He was certainly able to force smaller players off the puck, but it was more a size mismatch (there's a much greater range in the NCAA) than him banging the body.

Since he's come to the pros he's certainly worked on that aspect of the game though...

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote