HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bob MacKenzie on Ben Maxwell

Old
07-06-2006, 05:03 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Bob MacKenzie on Ben Maxwell

BEN MAXWELL, C, Kootenay
Born: 3/30/88 Ht: 6-0 Wt: 175 Shoots: L
From NHL Central Scouting - Has quick acceleration with strong stride and good overall speed...plays the point on the power play where he has picked up a lot of points...makes good decisions with the puck and moves it quickly and is smart...deft puckhandler who handles puck well through congested areas.
From ISS - He needs tremendous work on his defensive game and has to distribute the puck better and more often. Also needs to work on his consistency. At the 2006 CHL Prospects game he was very impressive in the skills testing and showed great hands. We really like his speed and offensive skill set. He is on the verge of becoming a prolific scorer and time will tell if he will evolve into the scoring machine many predicted.
From TSN - Kootenay's 1st round pick, 2nd overall, in 2003 bantam draft...Tied for team lead in playoff points (3-5) in 6 games...Played for Team Pacific at 2005 U-17...Played for Canada at 2005 U-18 Jr. World Cup and won gold...Also represented Canada at 2006 U-18 and was second on team in points...Won the 60' and 150' dash in the skills competition at prospects game.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Galchenkel

Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
such encouraging news. i hope he'll improve he defensive game as said by ISS.

Galchenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 05:11 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by medmed View Post
what do scouting reports from ISS, CSS et al have to do with Bob Mackenzie, or is he actually ON top of Maxwell? Poor Ben if that's the case.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
what do scouting reports from ISS, CSS et al have to do with Bob Mackenzie, or is he actually ON top of Maxwell? Poor Ben if that's the case.
The third piece is from TSN.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 05:33 PM
johnnyboo

He does sound intriguing though!!

Name: Ben Maxwell
Position: Center
Shoots: Left
Height: 6'0.5"
Weight: 177 lbs
Born: 3/30/88
Rankings: #44 North American Skater (CSS), #21 Overall (THN), #17 Overall (Red Line), NR (TSN.ca/ISS)

Kootenay (WHL) 69 GP, 28-32-60, 52 PIM, +17

One of the real wild cards in this draft will be enigmatic Kootenay center Ben Maxwell. In skills testing, Maxwell scores through the roof. He posted the top times at the CHL Top Prospects game in the 60 foot Dash, the 150 ft Dash, was 5th in the Full Lap and was the only young man to break the 17 second barrier on the Puck Control test. On the ice, these skills can translate to dominance, when Maxwell shows up to play. Unfortunately, his effort was inconsistent for most of the year and he was pegged as a lazy player for the campaign he had for Kootenay. He may have saved his stock, however, with a dominant effort at the U18 World Junior Championships where he was named Canada's best player in three of their seven matches and was second on the team in scoring with 2 goals and 7 points in 7 games. Maxwell has blazing speed, great vision and passing ability and a hard and accurate shot. When he feels like it, he can excel in the physical game and can be an excellent defensive player who is always a shorthanded threat on the penalty kill. One scout quoted in THN believes that Maxwell's biggest hurdle is going to be in gaining the strength to compete at the pro level, but Red Line sees the problem as one that almost exclusively exists between his ears. They sum it up thusly: at his upside they see him as a Brendan Morrison type player, but on his downside, Kris Beech.

Strengths: On paper, he's the best skater in this draft. Stickhandling and passing ability are excellent as are his one ice vision. Can be excellent defensively and is a huge threat shorthanded as a penalty killer.
Weaknesses: Heart is a question. Needs to bulk up and get stronger. Needs to compete in the physical game more consistently

johnnyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:01 PM
mad chemist

Is that just me or I find that these repport sound also like a young Tim Connolly ???because connolly before this year was really inconsistent , but both had great speed and great hands.

So if he can develop like Connolly, he would be such a threat.

mad chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad chemist View Post
Is that just me or I find that these repport sound also like a young Tim Connolly ???because connolly before this year was really inconsistent , but both had great speed and great hands.

I like the way Tim Connolly has developped and that was my first impression of Maxwell. Not in terms of how they play since every player is unique, but in the skills they both possess.

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:14 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad chemist View Post

Hopefully, or at worst a Corey Uquart. I'm sure management sees the weaknesses and will jump on it, get him on the wieghts right away.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Melvin Udall

Sounds loke the "new NHL" is the type of game that suits his skills etc.

Regarding Strength: Anyone who puts his mind to it can get bigger and stronger,
it's just a question of motivation.

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Hey if you guys are interested....had an interview with Ben Maxwell on our HF Podcast yesterday.

Nielson81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:42 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I saw that.

Cutting and pasting three different scouting reports and attributing them to Bob McKenzie was a little bit confusing to me. If it wasn't to you I commend you.

Old
07-06-2006, 07:52 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by medmed View Post
As Eddie Johnston said when he drafted Mario Lemieux (who wasn't exactly stellar defensively) "you can teach a player defence, but you can't teach them offence".

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:56 PM
turnbuckle*

From McKeen's, which had him 25th overall.

05/01/2006 - (u18) Review: In tight race with Justin Azevedo for being the best Canadian center of the tournament. A consistent offensive threat and elevated the game of whoever he was playing with on any given day. Showed signs at being a clutch player as well. Scouting: Has elite poise with the puck and excellent vision .. very soft hands and is the type of player that always seems to be getting a lot of extra time with the puck, which is a sign of quality talent .. an excellent player for running the powerplay, as he has a crisp passing and the ability to see the openings few others are capable of .. smooth skater, although his top speed is somewhat lacking, but that rarely bothers his game due to his puckhandling skills and hockey sense .. reads the game very well and always knows what do next .. above average wrist shot, but make no mistake, he's more of a playmaker than a sniper .. seems to elevate his game when the going gets tough, was one of the few Canadians not to freeze up in the semi-final against Finland .. does not shy away from traffic and has enough strength to cover the puck very along the boards and wins a good share of the battles.

05/25/2006 - Extremely mobile and when he keeps his feet moving can be quite elusive .. looks comfortable patrolling the point on the powerplay .. simply an effortless skater with or without the puck .. passes crisply and generally on the tape .. will take something off his point shot to try and create a rebound or deflection, however possesses the ability to blast a low hard point shot by a goaltender .. has the speed to take away time and space on the forecheck .. needs to get stronger to be more effective in the dirty areas .. finishes his checks and will take the body, however is far from being a threat physically. (69gp, 28-32-60)

06/05/2006 - Will need to make plenty of adjustments if he is going to be successful at the next level .. He is a great stickhandler but he is a bit soft .. I think he is going to have difficulty because much of his game is based on anticipation and surprising defenders .. How will he fare when the competition gets tougher? [Rank 25]

Old
07-06-2006, 07:56 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Damn, sounds like a keeper. I like it.

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielson81 View Post
Hey if you guys are interested....had an interview with Ben Maxwell on our HF Podcast yesterday.
Nice , ill get it later tonight.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:01 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I apologize. It was taken from an article on TSN entitled something like Bob Mackenzie on the prospects

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:35 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
I've watched 3,4 Kootenay games...and this guy was almost always the best player on the ice for his team. I dont like the fact that he gets pushed around a bit easily (from what I saw). He doesn't use his decent frame too much. The skills are definately there.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielson81 View Post
Wich one is it ? Only 1 has the guest list written .

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:30 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej View Post
Wich one is it ? Only 1 has the guest list written .
Fun interview.
http://hockeysfutureradio.com/hfpodcast.html
july 5th
2:00 minute mark.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 12:42 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Sounds like a keeper to me.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote