HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Trade Rumors

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8888 View Post
Throws a check goes straight off the ice with the puck sitting behind the net...
He finishes his shifts in style. Least he targets the top player on the opposition. When was the last time a Kings forward threw a hit at a top player on the other team? Dustin Brown on Henrik Sedin during the playoffs?

Not only is this team struggling offensively but they're being walked all over physically as well. They were a pushover last night against Nashville (as they were in their previous meeting as well), and look at how the Ducks physically dominated the Kings.

This team needs some intensity, the intensity that we haven't seen come from this team since the 2012 playoffs.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
This team needs some intensity, the intensity that we haven't seen come from this team since the 2012 playoffs.
There is no swagger. No tenaciousness. No "F U this puck is mine".

It's simply an attitude problem at this point. This team just does not play their best until the stakes are elevated. I've seen every single guy on this team make great plays and play with that fire this season. Unfortunately it's only for a shift or two per game.

It's good in a way, because they obviously can beat any team from any seed in the playoffs. It's bad because in a shortened season it is very easy to fall behind and by the time the stakes get high it's too late to get into the playoffs.

I get that two main guys are out, guys that are both exceptional at the first pass to get the play turned around. Still, that's no excuse to only play like you mean it for a fraction of a game.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:30 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Maybe it's time to see what Anthony Stewart has left. What exactly is Richardson still doing on the roster ?

Richardson is also pretty expensive for a depth player.
I've been asking that question since early last season.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:38 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Maybe it's time to see what Anthony Stewart has left. What exactly is Richardson still doing on the roster ?

Richardson is also pretty expensive for a depth player.
nobody will take him, is my guess

Old
02-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It's times like these where I learn to appreciate Alexander Frolov. As frustrating as Frolov could be at times, I would much prefer to have him in the lineup over a bum like Penner or the struggling Dwight King.

Would be curious to see how Frolov would have done had he been playing with Mike Richards and Jeff Carter. Since Frolov was more of a pass first winger, it might help that line considering that Carter is a shoot first player.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
It's times like these where I learn to appreciate Alexander Frolov. As frustrating as Frolov could be at times, I would much prefer to have him in the lineup over a bum like Penner or the struggling Dwight King.

Would be curious to see how Frolov would have done had he been playing with Mike Richards and Jeff Carter. Since Frolov was more of a pass first winger, it might help that line considering that Carter is a shoot first player.
The dismissal of Frolov's place on the team still makes me grind my teeth. Lombardi had a hand in it, but I blame Murray first and foremost.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

He's doing very well in the KHL with 39 points in 45 games, and his team has the 2nd best record in the league.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:05 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I don't think there is any calvary coming for the forwards. These guys are going to have to step up and do what they are getting paid to do.
Yeah.. No Stanley Cup win is easy, but the simple truth is the Kings cruised through the playoffs last year.. No true back-to-the-wall adversity. For a young team that blossomed, maybe it's good to get in some early season struggle to raise intensity and urgency

Old
02-08-2013, 07:42 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

I wonder when we are gonna let go of dead weight on our roster i.e richardson/lewis/penner. they do nothing really

Old
02-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Trevor Lewis is the new Craig Johnson, all speed, but not much else that goes with it.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Trevor Lewis is the new Craig Johnson, all speed, but not much else that goes with it.
I thought that was Richardson?

Old
02-08-2013, 08:31 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
realistically same **** different name.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:34 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Naw. Richie doesn't have the same speed as Lewis, so I would classify him more of a mini-me version of Roman Vopat.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:06 PM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Doubt it. They've got about 3 goalies waiting behind Nabokov.
Uh...2 goalies and an accident waiting to happen...

Old
02-08-2013, 10:40 PM
KingLB

Quote:
He finishes his shifts in style. Least he targets the top player on the opposition. When was the last time a Kings forward threw a hit at a top player on the other team? Dustin Brown on Henrik Sedin during the playoffs?

Not only is this team struggling offensively but they're being walked all over physically as well. They were a pushover last night against Nashville (as they were in their previous meeting as well), and look at how the Ducks physically dominated the Kings.

Nolan crushed Eberle and fought afterward.....

Old
02-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
Wasn't that creepy crawling bug avatar supposed to disappear when the Kings won the cup?

Old
02-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
They are quite high on Nilsson. Poulin and Koskinen aren't terrible either...

Old
02-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
He's more of a Brad Chartrand. Someone who seemingly stuck around for a couple years without really being noticed and not really fitting in to the everyday lineup.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:35 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Wasn't that creepy crawling bug avatar supposed to disappear when the Kings won the cup?
I know...but there are times it SHOULD return... It'll disappear a while when we start winning again...

I might go with a mini Kings Zamboni later...

Last edited by RAZZIE King: 02-09-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Old
02-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

With 12 players signed, the Kings have $15M in cap space in 2013-14. UFAs include Dustin Penner, Simon Gagne, Brad Richardson, Rob Scuderi, and Davis Drewiske. RFAs include Jonathan Bernier, Kyle Clifford, Trevor Lewis, Jordan Nolan, Slava Voynov, Alec Martinez, Keaton Ellerby, and Jake Muzzin.

Their only UFA in Manchester will be Anthony Stewart, and the team will have seven Monarchs who will be RFAs: Martin Jones, Brandon Kozun, David Kolomatis, Brian O'Neill, Andrew Bodnarchuk, David Meckler, and Stefan Legein.

So in total, eight UFAs and 15 RFAs. That's a lot of contracts, most of which will likely not be renewed. Of the UFAs, the only player I expect to return is Rob Scuderi. Of the RFAs, I anticipate most players to return, but expect Bernier to be moved and could see the Kings parting ways with Meckler, O'Neill and possibly Legein.

Let's assume the Kings bring Scuderi back at $3M and re-sign Voynov to a short term deal at $1.9M, Martinez at $1.2M, Clifford and Lewis at $900K each, Nolan and Ellerby at $750K each. That gives the Kings 19 signed players with roughly $6.5M left to spend. The 19 signed players include 1 goalie, 7 defensemen, and 11 forwards, so the Kings will have to sign a backup to Quick (if they haven't acquired one in the Bernier trade) and three forwards (if they haven't added any others via trade). One of those forwards will be a top six forward and one of them will be a spare 13th forward.

The big question mark is if the Kings will look to add one or two top six forwards, and if they think one of the kids in the farm will be ready to step in. Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson could both compete for a roster spot next season, as could Andy Andreoff. If the Kings see it fit, they could also make room for Linden Vey if they part with Stoll or Fraser.

All in all, the Kings' cap situation looks to be pretty good and gives Dean Lombardi some maneuverability to make some upgrades to his roster this summer. I would hope that he could inject the roster with some talent and speed as they need forwards who can create offense. The roster is over flooded with north-south skating forwards who lack creativity with the puck.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:55 PM
damacles1156

I think Vey would get a call before anyone. His game is more complete than anyone else in Manchester right now.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:

the quickest and easiest way to 'right the ship' is to play aggressively physically and make this statement. why they haven't yet after what they did in the PO's last spring, well frankly now i am at a loss for words. for a team that just dominated an frustrated teams, to be in the state they are now makes my blood boil. at some point they have to wake up and pull their heads out of their ***** to get to the PO's again and then 'flip the switch' (if this is what the prevailing attitude is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
There is no swagger. No tenaciousness. No "F U this puck is mine".

It's simply an attitude problem at this point. This team just does not play their best until the stakes are elevated. I've seen every single guy on this team make great plays and play with that fire this season. Unfortunately it's only for a shift or two per game.

It's good in a way, because they obviously can beat any team from any seed in the playoffs. It's bad because in a shortened season it is very easy to fall behind and by the time the stakes get high it's too late to get into the playoffs.

I get that two main guys are out, guys that are both exceptional at the first pass to get the play turned around. Still, that's no excuse to only play like you mean it for a fraction of a game.
this is the problem that is killing me and most other diehards. the team finally won the SC. for many they called it a fluke. we wanted them to come out prove the teams and fans false. instead all they have done is revert back to the past 45 years and make our hair turn grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I've been asking that question since early last season.
Richardson at this point is just insurance. he's a known commodity. he's someone to push other guys on the roster. his long term with LA will expire when his contract does, or somebody offers DL a silly offer for him.

Quote:
He's doing very well in the KHL with 39 points in 45 games, and his team has the 2nd best record in the league.
different animal, their stats don't mean **** to me. honestly the KHL and many of the Euro leagues are beer leagues. little individual defensive effort and worse, very limited team defensive stucture. teams do not grind in the KHL, the way they do in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
Yeah.. No Stanley Cup win is easy, but the simple truth is the Kings cruised through the playoffs last year.. No true back-to-the-wall adversity. For a young team that blossomed, maybe it's good to get in some early season struggle to raise intensity and
cruise? are you serious? they didn't suddenly get matched against ECHL or AHL teams with less skill that allowed them to put it into cruise control and take nights off. they appeared to 'cruise' through because they physically beat the crap out of other teams on their forecheck, caused turnovers, capitalized, drew penalties, scored some PP goals, had strong D and a crazy **** goaltender. that isn't 'cruising' that is play sound all around hockey. it makes it look like they are cruising, but its everthing coming together at the right time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
I wonder when we are gonna let go of dead weight on our roster i.e richardson/lewis/penner. they do nothing really
Penner is gone after this season. the current situation that is unfolding and Sutter's seemingly disregard for him will lead to him being traded or unsigned

Quote:
With 12 players signed, the Kings have $15M in cap space in 2013-14. UFAs include Dustin Penner, Simon Gagne, Brad Richardson, Rob Scuderi, and Davis Drewiske. RFAs include Jonathan Bernier, Kyle Clifford, Trevor Lewis, Jordan Nolan, Slava Voynov, Alec Martinez, Keaton Ellerby, and Jake Muzzin.

Their only UFA in Manchester will be Anthony Stewart, and the team will have seven Monarchs who will be RFAs: Martin Jones, Brandon Kozun, David Kolomatis, Brian O'Neill, Andrew Bodnarchuk, David Meckler, and Stefan Legein.

So in total, eight UFAs and 15 RFAs. That's a lot of contracts, most of which will likely not be renewed. Of the UFAs, the only player I expect to return is Rob Scuderi. Of the RFAs, I anticipate most players to return, but expect Bernier to be moved and could see the Kings parting ways with Meckler, O'Neill and possibly Legein.

Let's assume the Kings bring Scuderi back at $3M and re-sign Voynov to a short term deal at $1.9M, Martinez at $1.2M, Clifford and Lewis at $900K each, Nolan and Ellerby at $750K each. That gives the Kings 19 signed players with roughly $6.5M left to spend. The 19 signed players include 1 goalie, 7 defensemen, and 11 forwards, so the Kings will have to sign a backup to Quick (if they haven't acquired one in the Bernier trade) and three forwards (if they haven't added any others via trade). One of those forwards will be a top six forward and one of them will be a spare 13th forward.

The big question mark is if the Kings will look to add one or two top six forwards, and if they think one of the kids in the farm will be ready to step in. Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson could both compete for a roster spot next season, as could Andy Andreoff. If the Kings see it fit, they could also make room for Linden Vey if they part with Stoll or Fraser.

All in all, the Kings' cap situation looks to be pretty good and gives Dean Lombardi some maneuverability to make some upgrades to his roster this summer. I would hope that he could inject the roster with some talent and speed as they need forwards who can create offense. The roster is over flooded with north-south skating forwards who lack creativity with the puck.
i think next season we start to see a good overturn of the roster. the kids like Vey and Toffoli will likely make an impact and force change. this team needs an infusion of young talent, but more importantly young blood. the same effect that Nolan and King had last year on the roster. how/why these two are currently is another discussion. this team for years has exhibited it needs some pressure or fire coming from players down the depth chart to get it going.

Penner...Gagne (unless there is some revival of 40+ pts this year), Richardson, are gone. the other UFA's will likely be individual in nature what happens. for starters Toffoli is going to cause pressure in the top 6. Scuds is a stud and has a place, but can they risk having both Scuds and Willie on the payroll and 35+? it's unlikely that Scuds would take a 1-year contract that would expire the same time as Willie's next year.

the younger guys that won't be going anywhere are obviously Clifford, VV, Nolan, Alec and Muzzin. any of them could move in a trade, but they are part of the long them picture for the organization and will return. Lewis to me is a HUGE question mark, but he is a DL guy so who knows how far/how long this could carry on. he was great last spring, was great on the PK. in my eyes though he HAS (as in HAS TO) expand his game further to add some scoring on top of his hustle and compete. that will take you only so far on a roster, until someone comes along that can match his skating and compete level. he is the next Parse on the roster.

others that are in MAN i don't know enough about, but would likely only be brought back for very very deep depth, since they don't get call ups. iirc, Meckler was unsigned a year ago after going UFA. iirc he was re-signed when no one grabbed him. i may be wrong. if i am right he is simply a roster depth player at this point for MAN

Last edited by Whiskeypete: 02-10-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old
02-10-2013, 09:07 PM
bobafettish*

free agency pool is bleak next year, only payer i would want is ryder but hes probably gonna have a lot of offers.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
different animal, their stats don't mean **** to me. honestly the KHL and many of the Euro leagues are beer leagues. little individual defensive effort and worse, very limited team defensive stucture. teams do not grind in the KHL, the way they do in the NHL.
I am not advocating bringing back Frolov, but clearly you don't watch any KHL games. KHL teams have to play waay MORE so inside a structured game. Players that depend on north south individual play struggled hugely in the KHL (Evander Kane, Joffrey Lupul). You need to play a solid system game over there if you want to play, you cannot depend on individual skill as much in KHL, you need to be able to use your teammates.

It's true there is less board play, but that is a product of the big ice.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:00 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
Richardson at this point is just insurance. he's a known commodity. he's someone to push other guys on the roster. his long term with LA will expire when his contract does, or somebody offers DL a silly offer for him.
How does he push them? The biggest contribution he's had is being Richards wingman at the bars pre-Carter. Richardson is a waste of a roster spot, and at $1.175 mill cap hit, a very expensive one.

Closed Thread