HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais Discussion (Slow Start & Contact Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 06:00 PM
habtastic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekbe View Post
i want to see Pacioretty with Galchenyuk

the future is with Galchenyuk, we draft him to be our first line center, our best winger is Pacioretty ( maybe not right now, but he is first line winger )

Those tow guys gonna play together soon or later, so why not now

put Eller or Prust with DD
Galchenyuk is IMO not ready to play against the top lines. He (surprisingly) has his head down a lot and still relies too much on junior level deking. His vision is still great and as a passer and hand-eye: awesome. I just don't think the opposition would have a tough time containing him if he was with Patches. That said, it's mostly cuz Patches himself sucks hard right now. If he was his usual self, I'd totally agree - put Chucky with him and let him just dish or make the occasional drive to the net/snipe. I want to see Eller between Cole and Patch before anything else.

Been a big supporter of DD, even at times this year (very few), but if it's REALLY no excuses, he needs to sit. If MT blamed Eller for a lack of intensity during the first game, I cannot see how he has not made the same assessment of Desharnais after so many games. It was tough to bench Eller, but he did it. As many have said, this is the true test of whether MT is for real or still sucking the media's teet.

Aside from getting the right guys on the ice and preventing DD's HORRIBLE defense, it might actually give him some much needed perspective. Sometimes you need that. Not saying he's not trying, just that despite trying, it's not working for some reason. He's not the worst player in the league - he simply should not be centering our PFWD line until Eller shows himself incapable of that. (And I think Eller is extremely capable so long as Cole doesn't screw it up for everyone.) I seriously don't know how Cole isn't being called out by his teammates. Hey Gorges aka the "real captain" (), why don't you take your little sermon to Cole?

Old
02-10-2013, 06:06 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post

Aside from getting the right guys on the ice and preventing DD's HORRIBLE defense, it might actually give him some much needed perspective. Sometimes you need that. Not saying he's not trying, just that despite trying, it's not working for some reason. He's not the worst player in the league - he simply should not be centering our PFWD line until Eller shows himself incapable of that. (And I think Eller is extremely capable so long as Cole doesn't screw it up for everyone.) I seriously don't know how Cole isn't being called out by his teammates. Hey Gorges aka the "real captain" (), why don't you take your little sermon to Cole?
Why not just try him on the wing?

Old
02-10-2013, 06:08 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I think the hardest part is last year there were many here who thought he was a legit #1 center and that we should trade Pleks.
like I said before bro

where does he fit on the Bruins and Kings the last two champs

NOWHERE HE IS IN THE PRESSBOX AS THE 13TH FORWARD

he is not taking kopitar, richards ,stoll, seguin , bergeron , or peverley`s job

and he is too soft to be a 6 minute fourth liner with no role

what dont you see here

Old
02-10-2013, 06:11 PM
E = CH²

DD has more goals than Cole and Pacioretty combined despite being primarily a playmaker. It says a lot about the way his wingers have played so far. He will not carry that line by himself against better opposition than last year. Therrien needs to give them easier shifts.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:20 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
DD has more goals than Cole and Pacioretty combined despite being primarily a playmaker. It says a lot about the way his wingers have played so far. He will not carry that line by himself against better opposition than last year. Therrien needs to give them easier shifts.
If DD needs to be given the easiest minutes on the team to succeed, he might not be worth keeping around.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:21 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
You mean DD? Cuz he'd be even worse.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:32 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I honestly don't see the big deal on DD's game this year... his wingers have like 2 goals, and it's obviously the whole enchilada of his playmaking *plus* the power winger duo that made the line so good last year. It could still be like that. It just needs everybody going, which means Cole and Pacioretty getting goals. DD is a good/smart little player, but we already knew he was going to need complementary wingers... didn't we?
Well some surely didnt.. Plekanec is playing top line mins with pretty average wingers, against top opposition lines and pairings and still find a way to produce offensively.. You clearly see now the difference between a solid NHLer and a NHL filler..

Old
02-10-2013, 06:34 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
You mean DD? Cuz he'd be even worse.
That's an opinion. It's worth a shot.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
If DD needs to be given the easiest minutes on the team to succeed, he might not be worth keeping around.
I guess that depends on how much it costs to keep him. IMO $850K for a player who can put up points in favorable situations is still a good deal.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:05 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
WOW. prefectly put. That's exactly how I feel about him right now. Nice post.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:13 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I guess that depends on how much it costs to keep him. IMO $850K for a player who can put up points in favorable situations is still a good deal.
Indeed, but it looks like galchenyuk won't be able to take those tougher minutes for a little while at least. We've gotten away with having two 'soft minute' centermen in our top 9 for a little while now, but it's coming back to haunt us bad. I think you choose one of gally or DD and they stay on center and get the easy minutes. The other one gets shifted to wing. Who knows, maybe they both play on the same line and that somehow works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
WOW. prefectly put. That's exactly how I feel about him right now. Nice post.
Thanks. You know I only just realized that you were roy33Clutch. I was wondering where you had gone

Last edited by overlords: 02-10-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old
02-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Indeed, but it looks like galchenyuk won't be able to take those tougher minutes for a little while at least. We've gotten away with having two 'soft minute' centermen in our top 9 for a little while now, but it's coming back to haunt us bad. I think you choose one of gally or DD and they stay on center and get the easy minutes. The other one gets shifted to wing. Who knows, maybe they both play on the same line and that somehow works?
True that. I think DD on Galchenyuk's wing could work, but I could see the resistance to putting DD and Gallagher together. I know he's a rookie, but Gallagher is so strong in his puck pursuit that I think he might be able to handle a tougher role. Maybe something like this could work?

MP-LE-BG
DD-AG-EC

Old
02-10-2013, 08:11 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Cause he would get killed on the boards???

Old
02-10-2013, 08:15 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Cause he would get killed on the boards???
He's getting killed on the boards anyway at center because MT is not letting him carry the puck.

DD played more along this boards this year than he did in all of last season combined.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Whether he's worth keeping around is not a concern to me right now as much as trying to get all 3 guys going. Our opinions on cole, pacioretty and desharnais all differ, but I think one thing we can all agree on is that they are all capable of providing more to the club.

So the current, and most relevant question is, how do you get these guys playing to their standard?

Old
02-10-2013, 08:22 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
True that. I think DD on Galchenyuk's wing could work, but I could see the resistance to putting DD and Gallagher together. I know he's a rookie, but Gallagher is so strong in his puck pursuit that I think he might be able to handle a tougher role. Maybe something like this could work?

MP-LE-BG
DD-AG-EC
DD is not a winger... not speedy enough, not physical enough. And it is quickly becoming obvious, to anyone without 'petit gars de chez nous' blinders, not strong enough to carry a line as a top 2 center.

The writing is on the wall for DD, he has to go.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:24 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Whether he's worth keeping around is not a concern to me right now as much as trying to get all 3 guys going. Our opinions on cole, pacioretty and desharnais all differ, but I think one thing we can all agree on is that they are all capable of providing more to the club.

So the current, and most relevant question is, how do you get these guys playing to their standard?
Again, last years results were largely influenced by the soft minutes they were given. Unless those are taken back from Galchenyuk's line and given to DD's, this might be all that we get. Add to the fact that Cole may be checked out mentally, and we don't have a very great situation here.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Again, last years results were largely influenced by the soft minutes they were given. Unless those are taken back from Galchenyuk's line and given to DD's, this might be all that we get. Add to the fact that Cole may be checked out mentally, and we don't have a very great situation here.
What I see is alot of hesitancy on the wings. Last year, if Cole and patches had half a step, they were going right to the net with their outside speed. This year, with that same half step, they peel off or take shot from the perimeter.

Desharnais looks to be thinking too much, just based on his split second hesitancy to make a play, whereas last year, he was alot more assertive. Its especially apparent on the PP.

I'm using the hesitancy term alot, and whenever that happens, its usually something to do with confidence.

I remain confident that there are better things to come from this group. Hopefully, sooner than later.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:51 PM
rockjngo

Someone on TSN radio did mention this...

-Desharnais even with his small statue isn't a fast skater (ie. Martin St. Louis, Brian Gionta, Derek Roy, Patrick Kane, Jeff Skinner) nor is he as skilled as (Daniel Briere, Michael Cammalleri, etc.) with the exception of Roy, all small players I've mentioned play wing.

-Desharnais rely heavily on bigger wingers like Max Pacorietty and Erik Cole to create him room. If either one of them do so, Desharnais cannot create room as he is undersized and not as strong as bigger defensemen in today's NHL.

-Desharnais made it to the NHL base on shear hard work but it can only take you so far.

-Desharnais doesn't have a center of gravity like Crosby or St. Louis so he's not strong on skates and upper body strength.

-Most of his goals come from break out rushes, he hardly get goals from cycling down below.

-If you notice he falls about 20 times every game as he isn't strong enough.

-He cannot win faceoffs and in today's NHL, if you are small and not the fastest skater, you need to have something special playing center like winning faceoffs.

-Brian Gionta told Brendan Gallagher that to make it this long in the league and being small, you gotta be the fastest player and always be one step ahead. Desharnais hasn't done any of that which is why Davy is floating around 10 games out of 11 this season.

-One reason you can blame Desharnais putting up points is Erik Cole and Max Pacorietty struggling to score this season. Cole is near retirement and he doesn't skate hard enough like last year.

-Its better to move Desharnais to the wing or trade him because he's NOT a 3rd-4th line checking center.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:56 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
Someone on TSN radio did mention this...

-Desharnais even with his small statue isn't a fast skater (ie. Martin St. Louis, Brian Gionta, Derek Roy, Patrick Kane, Jeff Skinner) nor is he as skilled as (Daniel Briere, Michael Cammalleri, etc.) with the exception of Roy, all small players I've mentioned play wing.

-Desharnais rely heavily on bigger wingers like Max Pacorietty and Erik Cole to create him room. If either one of them do so, Desharnais cannot create room as he is undersized and not as strong as bigger defensemen in today's NHL.

-Desharnais made it to the NHL base on shear hard work but it can only take you so far.

-Desharnais doesn't have a center of gravity like Crosby or St. Louis so he's not strong on skates and upper body strength.

-Most of his goals come from break out rushes, he hardly get goals from cycling down below.

-If you notice he falls about 20 times every game as he isn't strong enough.

-He cannot win faceoffs and in today's NHL, if you are small and not the fastest skater, you need to have something special playing center like winning faceoffs.

-Brian Gionta told Brendan Gallagher that to make it this long in the league and being small, you gotta be the fastest player and always be one step ahead. Desharnais hasn't done any of that which is why Davy is floating around 10 games out of 11 this season.

-One reason you can blame Desharnais putting up points is Erik Cole and Max Pacorietty struggling to score this season. Cole is near retirement and he doesn't skate hard enough like last year.

-Its better to move Desharnais to the wing or trade him because he's NOT a 3rd-4th line checking center.
This. Reality check, unfortunately.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:01 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Thanks. You know I only just realized that you were roy33Clutch. I was wondering where you had gone
Yeah, I got bored with my username, so I switched it up. Glad to know somebody cares about me

Old
02-10-2013, 09:05 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
16 goals allowed by the habs at 5 on 5 so far.
DD was on the ice for 9 of them....and he's playing about only 15 minutes a games and not against top offensive line.

We may bench White for making two mistakes.
We may bench Eller for one bad game.

But what about the guys that make mistakes in 90% on the games?

I know, i know.....the effort is there. We can't blame him on that.
DD gave it all on the ice.

But that's even more scary, cause if the effort is there....well, it means that he won't getr any better!

Umm first thing first, I never thought of him as a 1st line C. A 2nd C maybe. And I'm all for benching DD...I'm also up for putting him on the wing. And I'm also up for mixing his line up and moving the other wings off his line to some other line because all three of them are horrible this year.
That said, some people like the comment above make it sound like the main reason they are doing horrible defensively is...DD. Which is rather unfair.
For the 3 goals that DD was on for in yesterdays game, none of them are goals he could have done anything about. Heck, one was frankly Cole's mishandling of his man (Second goal of the night?).
BTW, he won't get any better? Sure he's not that young…but it's rather early to judge his career after only 10 games into his second full season don't you think?
Oh and another thing…EVERY player makes a mistake in 100% of the games they play in. If you are suggesting that instead, DD is making mistakes 90% of the time…well, he never would have gotten past the minors, let alone the NHL. Either way, that comment is just wrong.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:14 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Pretty much this.
As a playmaker he should not have more goals then the two 'best' wingers on the team. Besides, as far as I'm concerned, Cole can't be considered as one of the better wingers on the team considering he isn't even playing yet.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Rick16

Quote:
It can be seen the other way, if wingers playing with a playmaker center don't score, than maybe the playmaker center isn't that good at making plays lol.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:32 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick16 View Post
It can be seen the other way, if wingers playing with a playmaker center don't score, than maybe the playmaker center isn't that good at making plays lol.
Maybe with Patches, but pretty hard to say that when one of the wingers isn't really even there.

Closed Thread