HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Right Now... IMO Were are on the bubble

Old
07-06-2006, 05:51 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

vCash: 500
Right Now... IMO Were are on the bubble

If nothing happens during the rest of the off-season, I don't think we make the playoffs.

We are basically bringing back the same team minus Bulis and Sundstrom.

We have to assume the Huet will be a top 5 goalie next year in terms of save percentage and GAA.

WE have to assume that our 2nd year players will be better, Ryder can score 30+, Kovalev can score more goals and Bonk can score 10!

We have to assume that there will be no injuries of any significant lenght to our top 6 forwards.

I am not optomistic about next year at this point and I don't believe any rookie who makles our lineup this year will have a bigger impact than Higgins did last year. We don't have a SOVATOS or PRUSHCA right now.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 05:53 PM
goalchenyuk

well , you forget the most important thing ;

No theo this season , to scrap a game by giving 6 goals in the first period .

You see , we are going to be better ...

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BigTimer*

Yup. I thought we were finished with the days where we needed to get lucky to make the playoffs or more precisely, squeeze into the playoffs. Guess the five year plan isn't going as smoothly as expected.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
If nothing happens during the rest of the off-season, I don't think we make the playoffs.

We have to assume the Huet will be a top 5 goalie next year in terms of save percentage and GAA.

WE have to assume that our 2nd year players will be better, Ryder can score 30+, Kovalev can score more goals and Bonk can score 10!

We have to assume that there will be no injuries of any significant lenght to our top 6 forwards.

I am not optomistic about next year at this point and I don't believe any rookie who makles our lineup this year will have a bigger impact than Higgins did last year. We don't have a SOVATOS or PRUSHCA right now.
Well, it's a risk. Who knows...Without Theodore's meltdown midseason we would have finished alot better so the same team is not necessarily a bad thing.

waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 05:58 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Well Gainey was right about one thing:

"Expect the unexpected"

I expected him to improve the team... this was unexpected!!!!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Duff88

It's July 6th, not October 6th!

The team won't be similar to what it is now, this talk is pretty much useless.

1- There are still some good UFAs left.
2- We have tons of cap space and a lot of teams will need to get rid of players to get under the cap.
3- We have some players whom we can expect to be traded before the start of the year.

Believe me, it may be quiet right now, but this isn't the team we'll start the year with.

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:02 PM
tritone

Identical thread number 3,274 reporting for duty Sir

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Well Gainey was right about one thing:

"Expect the unexpected"

I expected him to improve the team... this was unexpected!!!!
I also didn't expect him to give Ribs a 50% raise after having a significant drop in production. What's next? The suspense is killing me

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:07 PM
pavlako11

Quote:

We are basically bringing back the same team with a year of experience. You have to remember Perezhogin, Pleks, Ryder have another year under their belts.

Kovalev was injured 6 weeks.

We don't need Huet to be top 5, because if we did he would've got more then the money he just received. We just need him to NOT play like Theodore.

Injuries are part of the game, if any team loses a top 6 forward they will feel it, not only us.

What's with all the negativity, we had Carolina by the hairs of their 'you know what' and then we lost to the Stanley Cup Champions... It was a great learning experience for our youth and hopefully they will bring it into next season.

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:07 PM
SOLR

Quote:

I guess some people are just blind to not see Higgins is just the tip of the iceberg.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88 View Post
It's July 6th, not October 6th!

The team won't be similar to what it is now, this talk is pretty much useless.

1- There are still some good UFAs left.
2- We have tons of cap space and a lot of teams will need to get rid of players to get under the cap.
3- We have some players whom we can expect to be traded before the start of the year.

Believe me, it may be quiet right now, but this isn't the team we'll start the year with.
1 Who are the good UFAs?
2 The cap situation does look good.
3 I think there's not much of a market for the players Gainey would most like to trade.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:12 PM
HappyPappy

I believe we were the 4th best team in the East after the Olympic break so if we bring back that team that almost elmininated the Stanley Cup winners and fought back to make it into the playoffs it's not a catastrophe.

HappyPappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:16 PM
JimmyD

I for one think we've got a solid team. There are a lot of reasons to be excited about for next season. Higgins on the top line with the confidence to produce, Komisarek developing into a shut down defenceman, the intrigue about whether Huet could really be THAT good.

For sure I think we need some secondary scoring help, and an upgrade on defence would be nice, but this on the bubble garbage is nonsense.

JimmyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:16 PM
LyleOdelein

I thought that last year was a great season for the Habs. A young team, making the playoffs, doing a bit of damage there. There was nowhere to go but up.

THEN, they missed out on signing players like Arnott, Kubina, Savard and Langenbrunner to huge, way too long of contracts. Now they're the worst team in the league.

People that want to destroy a team's salary structure, chemistry and potential just to add a few players that COULD possibly help the team somewhere down the line are like Homer Simpson trading his crumby old Danish for a delicious door-stop.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:20 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
God, I am so sick of hearing this ****...

Since when does signing UFA's automatically translate to success!?!?

Oh, I forgot all those cups the Rangers won between 96 and 2003...oh wait. And it certainly helped those Penguins last year.

Since when did "building from within" become a bad word.

Whatever. You won't listen.

I'll tell you this, the day the Canadiens become mindless buyers, is the day I cheer another team. I'd much rather build a team, not purchase a band-aid.

TwineSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Duff88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
1 Who are the good UFAs?
2 The cap situation does look good.
3 I think there's not much of a market for the players Gainey would most like to trade.
Shanahan could help the team by bringing his experience and leadership, plus he's still a good player. He would put a fire under the *** of other players by playing every game, a lot like Begin does with his linemates. Sykora, Samsonov, Carter... there are still a few guys who could help this team.

I think a lot of people here underrate the team; remember that Ryder had an injury for most of the year and as invisible as he was he still managed to score 30 goals. Markov, Koivu and Kovalev missed some games, Theodore lost us others. As much as Ribeiro has been shot by all fans, and as much as I hate that contract he just got, he played harder at the end of playoffs and I think he could produce if he continues to work a bit harder. Komisarek, Perezhogin, Higgins, Plekanec have a year of experience under their belts. Latendresse and Kostitsyn are huge question marks, but they could both make the team and even have an impact. I expect Latendresse to go back to Drummond, but I think Kost will score 20 this year.

Taking all into account, I think a lot of people are just looking at it this way, which is a pretty stupid way to look at it:

A - We barely made the playoffs and were eliminated in the first round.

B - We might have the same team next season.

A + B = We won't have any success.

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:27 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
I have just ONE thing to say guys. Remember the Buffalo Sabres guys. Last year, the didn't had anybody significant and they had a great season. We have a pretty good core and alot of youngsters up and coming. Be positive guys, with the parity in today's NHL everything can happen.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Habsaku

Those question marks can be said of any team. The canadiens are a young team, much likely becoming younger the next few years and they'll probably fight for a playoff spot for that same reason. That said, I'm very confident about next season. I think the next rookie crop is even better then the last one.

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:32 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku View Post
Those question marks can be said of any team. The canadiens are a young team, much likely becoming younger the next few years and they'll probably fight for a playoff spot for that same reason. That said, I'm very confident about next season. I think the next rookie crop is even better then the last one.
Yes

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:56 PM
turnbuckle*

Daryl Sutter said an interesting thing in an interview yesterday - he said that it's important to have a core of players between 23 and 30 years of age to be successful.

Here's a look at the Hab roster entering this season:

23-30 years old entering training camp:

Bouillon
Souray
Dandy
Markov
Streit
Komo
Aebischer
Zednik
Bonk
Begin
Ribs
Ryder
Murray
Plekanec
Higgins
Perezhogin

16 players between the age of 23 and 30 on the roster at this point, five defencemen in their late 20s or 30 years old, just reaching their primes as defencemen, six forwards 26 or younger either entering their mid or early primes.

Here are the players knocking on the door:

Lapierre
Kostitsyn
Chipchura
Latendresse

A couple of 21-year-olds, a 20-year-old and a teenager. At least one of those players should be on an NHL roster this fall. If they were on the Leafs roster at least three of them would be starting the season in Toronto. Same thing for Boston, who has a grand total of 12 players signed for next season. Now there's a team that will have loads of chemistry, what with about three or four homegrown talents on the roster.

The old men on our roster, Koivu, Kovalev and Rivet, are all in their early 30s and very much in their primes. The other old guy, Huet, is just entering his goaltending prime.

Call me crazy, but I'm sorta glad Bob hasn't done a pile of tinkering. There's little reason not to believe that this team will not improve as our young core grows. Komo and Streit will be better, Zhogy, Higgins, Murray and Plekanec will be better, Ribeiro BETTER be better, Ryder will hopefully be healthy all season, Zednik and Bonk can't be worse.......

How many other teams can boast a deeper young core with NHL experience than the Habs? Not many.

I would like the team to add Shanahan for a veteran presence and proven goal scoring, and from all accounts Bob is attempting to do that, and also tried to lure Elias and Arnott. I don't think we can ask for much more - I'm very glad that he's not panicking and signing a Marc Savard for $20M just for the sake of getting someone; he targetted certain players, and isn't looking for UFA scrubs as he knows he has good young players ready to take those roster spots at a cheaper price.

Is Boston suddenly going to be great because they added an impact defenceman with mobility questions? He wasn't invinceable versus the Habs last season, why would it be different on a worse team? Ottawa lost that impact defenceman some think is going to make Boston so much better, plus another underrrated defenceman in Pothier. They lose Hasek and sign Gerber - which goalie as a Hab fan would you rather face next season? Corvo can be a sieve in his own end - I can't wait to see Zhogy and higgy forechecking like buzzsaws against him instead of Chara.

Toronto still sucks up front, and I don't think Raycroft is any better than Belfour, certainly not better than the Belfour of 2003. They have three solid defencemen, but I'm not crazy about the Leafs' bottom four; Toronto is going to have a new goalie, new coaches and at least four new defencemen. The Habs have the same seven returning defencemen - how many teams can boast that?

Carbo said the other day that Bob has tried to sign a couple of players and was outbid. Now he will explore some trade possibilities.

If the trades don't happen before the season starts, it's not a big deal; this is a decent team that may be a contending team. If Ribeiro isn't better we have Plekanec to replace him and Lapierre or Chipchura to come in at center; if Zednik starts the season and is unmotivated, we have Kostitsyn more than happy to take his spot. Zednik and Ribeiro can be dealt after the season starts, same thing with Souray. There will be other teams that have players that start out slowly, or run into injuries.

Last edited by turnbuckle*: 07-06-2006 at 07:02 PM.
turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:01 PM
skidboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone View Post
Identical thread number 3,274 reporting for duty Sir

LOL.

God Bless You Tritone!!!

skidboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:02 PM
oli500

We got a solid foundation, You got to find players who fit and who can compliment the foundation we have. We got some solid leaders on this team and a solid coaching staf and we have alot of players on the upside that are only going to get better. If we go all out on the free agent market were going to miss out on the chris higgins and the young talent cause everyone will not be able to get the minuts.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v View Post
well , you forget the most important thing ;

No theo this season , to scrap a game by giving 6 goals in the first period .

You see , we are going to be better ...
he never did that. 5 goals, yes, 6 goals no.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Yes
You deserve one too! ! Hooray for the optimists!

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:17 PM
CrazyShea

Lol man this is becoming hilarious. Not making the playoffs because we never wasted money on the ufa crop this year. The only guys i would have liked to see was elias, langenbrunner, shanahan and markov. We all knew elias and langenbrunner were going to remain a devil and i feel the same way as shanny remaining a wing. Markov well i doubt he will be here as well. Arnott would of been nice but for 5 years hell no. All we lose is bulis and sundstrom and that translates into a losing season? Bob gainey should be fired why oh why couldnt he had spent 7.5 mil per year on chara oh why
Whats the draft crop like next year?

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote