HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Should have been done two years ago.

Has been obvious from his first year pro that he was simply a trainwreck defensively and never ever going to be able to play defense at the NHL level.

Now he's 23 and nothing but a bad AHL defender.

Has the toolbox to think he might be able to carve out a niche up front - shot, decent size, some grit, OK skater going forward - but who knows. Would have been nice if the last 2 years had been spent on the conversion, and would have been a lot more likely to be successful.

As it is he's a total bust. Shouldn't be re-signed unless it's to play forward.
Agree with the caveat that last year with McTavish he looked like he might salvage a career as a third pairing/2nd unit PP type. Unfortunately for him, the Canucks went back to the "terrible coach" well...

Old
02-03-2013, 10:28 PM
orcatown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Thanks for this. Andersson might even make a good candidate for the PP as Connauton's offense seems to have virtually disappeared. Heck, I don't even know who the pointmen on the PP units are anymore - Hunt, KC, Joslin and Matheson? Might be worth giving him a try there to improve his all-around game - good shot and makes good decisions with the puck.

As for Cannata, do you see any changes in the way he's playing compared to last year? Wondering if our goalie coach has been working with him.
Right now its Hunt and Haydar on the points. Hunt is the main reason for any improvement on the PP.

I'm not much for stats but as far as Connauton is concerned you have to worry why he is so consistently a minus player. This year a -14 which is twice as bad as any other player on the team.

Stated as early as when he played on the Giants that he might be a forward. However, I'm not convinced he would do much there either. Probably screw up his defensive responsibilities a lot.

RFA at the end of the season and based on play can not be offered any more than the minimum contract.

Maybe he is still tradeable given that there is athletic talent here. Might be case that some organization who is not happy with one of their prospect would trade for Connauton given the hope that they could somehow develop him. You wonder if the team might have been able to go after Boychuk using Connauton. Could have waived the god awful Ebbett to create roster space. (btw this teams fascination with Ebbett and concern about losing him on waivers is one of the most troubling misreads in club history)

Old
02-04-2013, 12:37 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Agree with the caveat that last year with McTavish he looked like he might salvage a career as a third pairing/2nd unit PP type. Unfortunately for him, the Canucks went back to the "terrible coach" well...
I wonder though - does a change in coach really affect his career outlook as a D-man that badly? Maybe even if MacT had stayed, it's possible that he was always going to be a fringe 6/7th D-man anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Should have been done two years ago.

Has been obvious from his first year pro that he was simply a trainwreck defensively and never ever going to be able to play defense at the NHL level.

Now he's 23 and nothing but a bad AHL defender.

Has the toolbox to think he might be able to carve out a niche up front - shot, decent size, some grit, OK skater going forward - but who knows. Would have been nice if the last 2 years had been spent on the conversion, and would have been a lot more likely to be successful.

As it is he's a total bust. Shouldn't be re-signed unless it's to play forward.
What might his ceiling then be if he does move up front? 4th liner? And would it still be too late to do it now?

Old
02-04-2013, 12:40 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Right now its Hunt and Haydar on the points. Hunt is the main reason for any improvement on the PP.

I'm not much for stats but as far as Connauton is concerned you have to worry why he is so consistently a minus player. This year a -14 which is twice as bad as any other player on the team.

Stated as early as when he played on the Giants that he might be a forward. However, I'm not convinced he would do much there either. Probably screw up his defensive responsibilities a lot.

RFA at the end of the season and based on play can not be offered any more than the minimum contract.

Maybe he is still tradeable given that there is athletic talent here. Might be case that some organization who is not happy with one of their prospect would trade for Connauton given the hope that they could somehow develop him. You wonder if the team might have been able to go after Boychuk using Connauton. Could have waived the god awful Ebbett to create roster space. (btw this teams fascination with Ebbett and concern about losing him on waivers is one of the most troubling misreads in club history)
I see. You have to wonder what part Baumgartner has had in his regression thus far this year... It's worrying that a team who's put a lot of trust in its development system to turn projects into something worthwhile would hire a first-time coach to run the D without having prior coaching experience.

Maybe Connauton would have turned out like this anyway, but you don't want to screw up their chances right from the get-go with a bad coach.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:57 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
What might his ceiling then be if he does move up front? 4th liner? And would it still be too late to do it now?
It's not too late, but would've been a lot better to do it earlier.

His ceiling would probably be a one shot scorer on a 3rd line. Acceptable defensively, has size and can wire the puck.

Would put up David Jones numbers probably.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:02 AM
racerjoe

Quote:
I see. You have to wonder what part Baumgartner has had in his regression thus far this year... It's worrying that a team who's put a lot of trust in its development system to turn projects into something worthwhile would hire a first-time coach to run the D without having prior coaching experience.
Maybe Connauton would have turned out like this anyway, but you don't want to screw up their chances right from the get-go with a bad coach.
I agree and disagree with this, I think baumer has basically been a player coach for a while now. so I would say he has expeirence.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:34 PM
lindgren

The Wolves beat Peoria tonight, 4-3 in overtime. Haydar got a hat trick. Sweatt scored the OT winner. Cannata stopped 20 of 23.

Interestingly, Archibald fought the legendary Kyle Beach at 9:40 of the first period. Rodin picked up a slashing penalty, also at 9:40. Perhaps a Wolves watcher can tell us if Rodin slashed Beach, Beach went for Rodin, and Archibald stepped in, or what.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
The Wolves beat Peoria tonight, 4-3 in overtime. Haydar got a hat trick. Sweatt scored the OT winner. Cannata stopped 20 of 23.

Interestingly, Archibald fought the legendary Kyle Beach at 9:40 of the first period. Rodin picked up a slashing penalty, also at 9:40. Perhaps a Wolves watcher can tell us if Rodin slashed Beach, Beach went for Rodin, and Archibald stepped in, or what.
But Beach is a Blackhawks prospect, and their affiliate is Rockford...

Old
02-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Intoewsables
real gudbranson

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post

That would be Kyle's brother, Cody Beach.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:23 AM
lindgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoewsables View Post
That would be Kyle's brother, Cody Beach.
Ah, not so interesting after all. Thanks for the correction.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:30 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Steve Pinizzotto watched a fellow Rochester Institute of Technology alumnus score his first NHL goal on Monday night.

That would be Canucks defenceman Chris Tanev, who took 63 games to achieve the lofty feat, putting one off the post with seconds left in overtime in Edmonton.

It was a huge deal on the New York state schoolís campus on Tuesday, and just as big for Pinizzotto, whoís with the Canucksí Chicago Wolves AHL farm club.

ďHe was actually one of my best buddies when he was here (during the NHL lockout) and I wish nothing but the best for him,Ē said Pinizzotto over the phone from Chicago.

ďHeís just a great person. It couldnít happen to a better guy. To score your first goal in overtime, Iím pretty happy for him.Ē

Pinizzotto, who played at RIT for two seasons (2005-06 and 2006-07), but was never a teammate of Tanev (2009-10) with the Tigers, would like nothing better than to follow in his footsteps and become the second player from the school to get into an NHL game.

Due to injury, thatís been on hold for two seasons now, but Pinizzotto ó a hard-edged fourth line winger who finishes his checks ó is close to being available for selection should the Canucks suffer any damage in their bottom-six forward ranks.

Pinizzotto has been out since Nov. 24, when he suffered a partial tear in his groin. Surgery wasnít necessary, but he didnít expect it would keep him out this long.

Heís back practising with the team, but hasnít been cleared for contact yet.

ďIím pretty close (to playing), itís within two weeks,Ē said Pinizzotto. ďItís feeling pretty good. Iím not quite pain-free yet. Iím just getting back to being on the ice and feeling more confident. Itís something you canít rush.Ē
Link

Hope he gets a chance to play his 1st game this season - he's worked hard for it.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Free Edler
Soft.

How's Hunt playing? I remember watching him a few years back when he played for Burnaby. He was always a smaller guy but handled the puck well. Any NHL future there?

Old
02-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
How's Hunt playing? I remember watching him a few years back when he played for Burnaby. He was always a smaller guy but handled the puck well. Any NHL future there?
I think it was orca who was saying he has been playing well.. Cant really remember though

Old
02-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Lord knows Pinnizzotto couldn't be worse than Volpatti

Old
02-06-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
He's a plus 3 with a bit better than a .5 ppg scoring average on a team that doesn't often fill the net. Looking at his stat lines on hockeydb, they seems very consistent between his final two years at Bemidji State and this year as a pro on the Wolves. His junior NCAA year is virtually identical to this current AHL year, or it will be when the Wolves play one more game to make it 38 for him on the season like his final two years in Bemidji.

He's made a great adaptation to the AHL. Could he play in the NHL? You would think he's too small, but I'd like to see him get the chance anyway.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:19 PM
FOurteenS inCisOr
FOS COrp CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
Lord knows Pinnizzotto couldn't be worse than Volpatti
Really?

I've been pretty impressed with Volpatti so far this season.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
He's a plus 3 with a bit better than a .5 ppg scoring average on a team that doesn't often fill the net. Looking at his stat lines on hockeydb, they seems very consistent between his final two years at Bemidji State and this year as a pro on the Wolves. His junior NCAA year is virtually identical to this current AHL year, or it will be when the Wolves play one more game to make it 38 for him on the season like his final two years in Bemidji.

He's made a great adaptation to the AHL. Could he play in the NHL? You would think he's too small, but I'd like to see him get the chance anyway.
Not sure that he's good enough right now (actually, pretty sure he's not), but then again he's still young and defensemen take a while to mature. Maybe he one day will but I doubt it will be with Canucks.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:25 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
Really?

I've been pretty impressed with Volpatti so far this season.
The Edmonton game was pretty evident he can't skate fast and stick handle at the same time. Handled it like a grenade.

I like him for 6 minutes a game, but Pinner has more scoring upside and can probably play as physical just won't be able to take on the 240 pounders of the league.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:45 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
The Edmonton game was pretty evident he can't skate fast and stick handle at the same time. Handled it like a grenade.

I like him for 6 minutes a game, but Pinner has more scoring upside and can probably play as physical just won't be able to take on the 240 pounders of the league.
Agreed. Pinner is just the better all-around hockey player. Would be a good fit with Lapierre imo. If you want a 4th line in the playoffs that can play, that would be it I think. Not someone like Volpatti whose minutes would only go down.

Of course, he's got to get healthy and get a shot first.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:09 PM
FOurteenS inCisOr
FOS COrp CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

I guess I don't expect as much out of a 4th liner. I like having a guy with his physical ability, and the potential to at least endure a bout with the heavyweights.

Agreed that Pinner is the better hockey player. If he can provide the physicality that Volpatti can, then I would agree. It's not worth having a guy just for his fighting ability.

Hopefully his injury doesn't result in him being a bit timid on his return.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

Wolves up 3-0 right now headed into the 3rd. Climie is back from injury and between the pipes. Davies with 2 goals, Connauton with one. Polasek has an assist, as well.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Link

Hope he gets a chance to play his 1st game this season - he's worked hard for it.
Anyone know if Pinizzotto is actually on the Canucks' roster or Wolves' roster?

Old
02-10-2013, 09:28 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Anyone know if Pinizzotto is actually on the Canucks' roster or Wolves' roster?
Should be on the Wolves', I think. Not much point in recalling him even for training camp if he was still recovering.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

Tweet this morning quoting Wolves' GM Wendell Young...

Quote:
News1130 Sports‏@News1130Sports
#Canucks still have not signed new deal with Chicago Wolves for next year - Young says he's getting itchy - wants to know.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Wonder what other alternatives the Canucks would have? In a perfect world, Abbotsford...

Old
02-13-2013, 01:07 PM
PRNuck
Rekt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Tweet this morning quoting Wolves' GM Wendell Young...

Wonder what other alternatives the Canucks would have? In a perfect world, Abbotsford...
Is the Heat's deal with the Flames up at the end of the season too? Lot of money to be made by them if they have the Canucks prospects.

Closed Thread