Bruins Officially Worst (30th) PP and Best (1st) PK in NHL

Old
02-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

vCash: 500
Bruins Officially Worst (30th) PP and Best (1st) PK in NHL

This has to end sooner or later.

The powerplay is the worst in the NHL by a fair margin and it is only getting worse. The Buffalo game is illustrating this perfectly. They have constant pressure 5 on 5 and then give up multiple chances and pressure opportunities on the powerplay. A goal against instantly follows the powerplay opportunity.

How can they maintain this poor performance and not find a new approach? I constantly see four players at the top of the blue line cycling high with one player trying to screen.

The powerplay is now below 8% and dropping. That is also including 1 PPG from Seguin as an EN late in the game.

Last playoffs they were 8.7%.
The playoffs before they were 11.4%.

Powerplay Goals at Home: 0
Powerplay Goals on the Road: 3 (one EN)

They are currently on pace to set the NHL Record for the worst Powerplay in NHL history which is currently 9.35% (they are almost 2% worse than that now and falling).

For Your Consideration:

Will this team make the history books?
Will the coaching staff face changes or consequences?
Is there a solution within this team?
Do the Bruins focus on adding another player to fix the powerplay?

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

To be clear, I am really pleased yet again with Boston's 5 on 5 play (which is the best in the NHL) but sooner or later they need to make a change after almost two years of poor performances.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Taz#24

Send a message via MSN to Taz#24
We desperately need some help on the PP

Only real weakness on the team but it's a serious weakness IMHO. Not sure what would fix it? Torn between a rushing d-man/quarterback type or a centre who can distribute.

Taz#24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:10 PM
northeastern

we need savvy back! no not to play... to coach the pp.

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Karma!

Old
02-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

They penetrated down low and scored. Surprise, surprise. That is their best play 5 on 5 too; down low coming out of the corner.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Similar rankings won them the cup, why change?

I think part of this becomes a bit of frustration and trying to do too much. They know how bad the PP is, they know it's being criticized heavily, and because of it, they're trying to do too much. Part of it though is easier to break down into the mechanics of the man advantage:

Entry: Entry is horrible currently. The team is not quick enough to regroup and when they run into pressure, they're not calm enough to regroup and instead try to force it. This should be the 1st thing this team works on to correct their problems.

(of course while writing this Bergy scores on the pp)

Net front presence: I think the Bruins do a decent job of this on the pp. They do get to the front and cause some issues. The problem is, nothing else is working to show this as valuable.

Puck Battles and Puck Protection: This has been lacking and part of it is in defining the battles they have. The team is not getting the extra body on the puck to overwhelm defenders when gaining the zone and gaining possession. This is leading to quick turn overs and having to restart, thus losss of pp time.

Powerplay movement: I thought this was going to get a lot better from last season as we saw the power plays redefined. Instead, we're starting to play stuck in set power play structures. There is a bit of creativity showing now and then and we are seeing at times a down low cycle. If this team is going to become successful though, that down low cycle has to become a low cycle to high cycle or a play behind the net to continue to turn defenders.

If this power play is to become successful the B's will need to:

- Work on their entry- set a few plays to gain the zone, be comfortable in doing so and be willing to regroup when it doesn't work
- Overload the puck on entry, win the battles and then start to quickly move the puck
- Look at getting more fluid- this will come with being less worried about getting it done on the power play and just playing instead. The units need to look to cycle and keep their feet moving. Go high to low on the boards, continue to turn defenders and allow the chase to create the seams.

3 basic items to get things going. All independent of the actual make up of the pp units.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Mione134

Geoff Ward approves

Mione134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:49 PM
ap3lovr

5 on 5 they move their feet and work pressure down low. 5 on 4 they just stand around. They need to start skating with the puck.

ap3lovr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Regina

Quite the

quite the

co·nun·drum
/kəˈnəndrəm/

Noun
  • A confusing and difficult problem or question.
  • A question asked for amusement, typically one with a pun in its answer; a riddle.

Regina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:06 PM
panny2727

The bruins hold the puck too long... everything is from the half wall to the top for a shot... its become so predictable. they all stand around and watch the guy pass it to the point instead of creating something random.
Claude's system is great 5 on 5 with the strength and size of this team.
There has to be a way to remain responsible on the PP without being too predictable
The Bruins never let up a shorty because of their system, so thats a plus.
I really think they should try to attack from low more.
maybe get krejci or marchy to set up behind and around the net when they get control.

The main problem with them is they try to control it too much.. they don't attack constantly like they do 5 on 5. if they seperate a man from the puck in the corner it gets set up always...There is no thought to go score a goal...peverly might be the only one who isn't afraid to stray from the program.
another thing i notice with other teams is one touch passes. when was the last time chara one touched it back to the guy who just gave it to him. He catches it and goes to the other side 99% of the time.

I say for 5 games, destroy the pp, don't talk about it, put the first or second line out with two d and see what happens. don't have a pp plan, just play hockey... it can't be any worse. even though they scored

panny2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Pie O My

worst PP, best PK, one of the leaders in 5 on 5. EGGGSELLENT!

All is well in the world of Pie.

This obsession with having a sexy PP is bordering on fanatical. Guys, how many 0fers on the PP (not 2nite obviously) combined with W's will it take before folks realize a good PP not essential to winning hockey, ESPECIALLY in the playoffs, which is what it's all about.

I'm going to pound these mantras the rest of the season until folks finally "get" it....

PP for show, PK for dough.

A great PP gets you the presidents trophy, a great PK gets you the cup.

It's nice to have a good PP, it is essential to have a good PK.

PP is icing, PK is the cake.

Oh, and of course...DO NOT BOO OUR PP!

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:24 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

The removal of Marc Savard meant the power play no longer ran from down low and around the boards, but was shifted to being run fronm he point. Not the best way to utilize the theoretical best chance to score in a game.

They need to move around a hell of a lot more than they do now. They need to randomize their movement. No longer can they plant their feet at 5 different spots in the offensive zone with the pointmen passing between each other, as that became predictable over 3 years ago. Each player needs to work harder to create their own chances, not sit and watch the guy with the puck and base their movement off of him. If you start to move around at random, the chances will grow. You can't "system" a power play. The best scoring chances come from movement, and unfortunately the Bruins don't do any of that.

Last edited by DJENTLEMAN: 02-10-2013 at 10:05 PM.
DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:30 PM
BB624

After you posted this they scored and are now 28th in the league at 10.3%

BB624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
This has to end sooner or later.

The powerplay is the worst in the NHL by a fair margin and it is only getting worse. The Buffalo game is illustrating this perfectly. They have constant pressure 5 on 5 and then give up multiple chances and pressure opportunities on the powerplay. A goal against instantly follows the powerplay opportunity.

How can they maintain this poor performance and not find a new approach? I constantly see four players at the top of the blue line cycling high with one player trying to screen.

The powerplay is now below 8% and dropping. That is also including 1 PPG from Seguin as an EN late in the game.

Last playoffs they were 8.7%.
The playoffs before they were 11.4%.

Powerplay Goals at Home: 0
Powerplay Goals on the Road: 3 (one EN)

They are currently on pace to set the NHL Record for the worst Powerplay in NHL history which is currently 9.35% (they are almost 2% worse than that now and falling).

For Your Consideration:

Will this team make the history books?
Will the coaching staff face changes or consequences?
Is there a solution within this team?
Do the Bruins focus on adding another player to fix the powerplay?
Where are you getting those stats?

From NHL.com:

30. Colorado 9.1%
29. NYR 10.0%
28. Boston 10.3%
27. LA 10.9%

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...Name=powerPlay

Interestingly, the Kings won the Cup last spring with a 12.8% PP rate.

Also interestingly, the Bruins are off to their best start in the history of the franchise.

Stats are odd things.

As for the PP, IMHO it's 100% between their ears. They're good players; they have good coaches; they're getting chances; they're snakebitten big time. Hopefully a couple of more goals like Bergeron's and they'll forget the pressure.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB624 View Post
After you posted this they scored and are now 28th in the league at 10.3%
and it was on the road. what is their road PP %? it was like top 5 a day after Segs got his ENG.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
I know you're joking, but this is a great point. You cannot teach what that guy did. He wasn't a rocket scientist, bottom line he'd just TRY STUFF. He'd feign passes, fake shots, skate w/ the puck until a pker followed him down low, or up high, inviting his teammates to jump into that seam he created. Or, he simply tee'd it the **** up just to keep them honest. We have absolutely no one that does that.

You would never know watching this team on the PP that Chara possessed the hardest shot in the league. Savard made that shot a weapon. Even when he didn't score, guys gobbled up rebounds. You'd think they'd try just operating under that notion. Throw it at the net, get a rebound, force a mistake. They are the epitome of deer in the headlights. They're getting worse, not better.

If they're serious a/b another Cup, and I don't see any reason they shouldn't be, this has to get fixed. Has to.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:35 PM
panny2727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
worst PP, best PK, one of the leaders in 5 on 5. EGGGSELLENT!

All is well in the world of Pie.

This obsession with having a sexy PP is bordering on fanatical. Guys, how many 0fers on the PP (not 2nite obviously) combined with W's will it take before folks realize a good PP not essential to winning hockey, ESPECIALLY in the playoffs, which is what it's all about.

I'm going to pound these mantras the rest of the season until folks finally "get" it....

PP for show, PK for dough.

A great PP gets you the presidents trophy, a great PK gets you the cup.

It's nice to have a good PP, it is essential to have a good PK.

PP is icing, PK is the cake.

Oh, and of course...DO NOT BOO OUR PP!
it worked once, in cup history. it just happened to be our team.. could it work again, maybe... i don't think it can because you have now replaced recchi's toughness, with seguin who plays in a round rink. and bourque can't snipe like ryder...
If they are going to depend on 5 on 5, they need more guys to score big goals against tough opponents. Seguin can still prove himself too me, but i'm not sold that he is filling recchi's shoes.. might be time for a third line sniper or a second line tanacious player that fits in our top six come playoffs against the rags or the devils. heck Bufalo and Montreal appear they would give us a tough time and even, tampa and washington have in recent years.

Time to bring in some other ideas when it comes to the PP. time to bring in another piece of the PIE o my

Old
02-10-2013, 09:37 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

"As long as they add up to more than 100 percent you probably have a good team."

--Pat Burns

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
and it was on the road. what is their road PP %? it was like top 5 a day after Segs got his ENG.
Road PP% is 20%, 16th in the league.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:39 PM
BB624

Quote:
Originally Posted by panny2727 View Post
it worked once, in cup history. it just happened to be our team.. could it work again, maybe... i don't think it can because you have now replaced recchi's toughness, with seguin who plays in a round rink. and bourque can't snipe like ryder...
If they are going to depend on 5 on 5, they need more guys to score big goals against tough opponents. Seguin can still prove himself too me, but i'm not sold that he is filling recchi's shoes.. might be time for a third line sniper or a second line tanacious player that fits in our top six come playoffs against the rags or the devils. heck Bufalo and Montreal appear they would give us a tough time and even, tampa and washington have in recent years.

Time to bring in some other ideas when it comes to the PP. time to bring in another piece of the PIE o my
Last yr LA was 12/94 on the PP in the playoffs
Bruins were 10/88

BB624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:42 PM
panny2727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Where are you getting those stats?

From NHL.com:

30. Colorado 9.1%
29. NYR 10.0%
28. Boston 10.3%
27. LA 10.9%

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...Name=powerPlay

Interestingly, the Kings won the Cup last spring with a 12.8% PP rate.

Also interestingly, the Bruins are off to their best start in the history of the franchise.

Stats are odd things.

As for the PP, IMHO it's 100% between their ears. They're good players; they have good coaches; they're getting chances; they're snakebitten big time. Hopefully a couple of more goals like Bergeron's and they'll forget the pressure.
They are getting wins, They had the most players over seas. is this helping?? My eyes tell me my division 3 pp could do better than these guys. ok probably not but they move the puck like molasses and as every NHL analyst in the world says, it will come back to bite them.
what have you done for me lately???
8-1-1, great..... pp awful
coach Belichick wouldn't stand for it, why are some of you's guy's
Isn't the point to improve... If your not trying to improve.... Than you really got nothing

Old
02-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by panny2727 View Post

you want a piece of me? huh, punk!!

How about this for out of the box (or pie platter) thinking -

Next game, 1st PP opp, 4th line, with Ference and A. Johnson on the points. Short of giving up a shorty how much worse could they do?

I'll go you one better - next game, 1st PK, put Seguin out there. Good enough for Kovulchuk, good enough for #19.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:43 PM
panny2727

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
Myself and probably severall others have tweeted him to come back and help.. I'll do it again.....

Old
02-10-2013, 09:44 PM
TCL40

I think the problem is that a failure to score on a PP opportunity can be the difference between winning and losing.

I don't expect them to turn the PP into their bread and butter and start diving in the hopes of getting one, but it would be nice to see them do better.

I think they need to just start pretending as if the PP is 5 on 5 hockey. They actually cycle better and confuse the defense more 5 on 5 than when on a PP.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote