HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Other Sports Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
DT/MLB are the big areas on defense to fill, IMO. I do think they need a depth CB also, as I believe Tony Carter really stinks. Though Bolden is sitting there......
I kinda like Reggie Bush for this team, even though I hate Reggie Bush. But having a guy that could break a homerun for this team would be huge - they need that type of guy. But that would mean carrying 4 RB's and they probably wouldn't do it.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:46 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I kinda like Reggie Bush for this team, even though I hate Reggie Bush. But having a guy that could break a homerun for this team would be huge - they need that type of guy. But that would mean carrying 4 RB's and they probably wouldn't do it.
Isn't that what Hillman is supposed to give them?

Old
02-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Isn't that what Hillman is supposed to give them?
*was supposed to give them. Maybe he'll be better next year.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:22 PM
anleva

I'm still annoyed we outsmarted ourselves and missed taking Doug Martin

Old
02-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
I feel like we have players who pretty much do what Bush does on special teams and on offense.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:21 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
this is totally unrelated to anything else in this thread, but I watched ESPN's 30 for 30 "Broke" today, about how pro athletes lose hundreds of millions in the span of a year or so. Anyone else seen it, by chance? It's great stuff. It makes me wonder what guys playing right now are doing with the dough they make.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:47 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
this is totally unrelated to anything else in this thread, but I watched ESPN's 30 for 30 "Broke" today, about how pro athletes lose hundreds of millions in the span of a year or so. Anyone else seen it, by chance? It's great stuff. It makes me wonder what guys playing right now are doing with the dough they make.
I read an article in ESPN the Magazine about a guy who teaches pro athletes how to better handle their cash. It looks like three culprits:

1. Just plain blowing the cash living extravagantly. Vince Young was "making it rain" at the strip club his rookie year, now he's bankrupt and going to community college.

2. Leaving the handling of finances to friends/family members who either mishandle the money or run off with it.

3. Enormously stupid investments. I think the article cited one athlete who had thousands tied up with a guy trying to invent an emergency raft for furniture in the event of a flood.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:50 AM
ChrisNI

vCash: 3322
Quote:
Yeah saw bits of it about a month or so ago on TSN.

Was shocked that there seemed to be so many who had "friends" take advantage of them!

Oh you just got millions of dollars I have this erm business idea that will make you lots of money!
I have no idea how to run a business but trust me it'll be awesome!

It was a very interesting program that I was meant to try and get the full version but forgot, thanks for reminding me.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:30 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I read an article in ESPN the Magazine about a guy who teaches pro athletes how to better handle their cash. It looks like three culprits:

1. Just plain blowing the cash living extravagantly. Vince Young was "making it rain" at the strip club his rookie year, now he's bankrupt and going to community college.

2. Leaving the handling of finances to friends/family members who either mishandle the money or run off with it.

3. Enormously stupid investments. I think the article cited one athlete who had thousands tied up with a guy trying to invent an emergency raft for furniture in the event of a flood.
4. Divorce and kids

As for Corner depth why spend $9 million when you can spend $1 million?

Old
02-11-2013, 08:26 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
As for Corner depth why spend $9 million when you can spend $1 million?
I think it's more a question of starter vs. depth. If the Broncos believe that Bailey has 2-3 good years left at corner, then spending big is stupid. If, however, they believe they have maybe one year of a really quality Bailey at corner (which is my belief), then it's not so outlandish. I'm not talking about $9M specifically, rather talking about bigger money that $1M.

Because a Tony Carter-Chris Harris combination will get lit up. Mostly due to Carter. IMO.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll take a wobbly secondary over a wobbly Front 7. Anyway the team isn't really in the position to worry about potential 2014 problems.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

vCash: 130
Quote:
"Broke" has been out for a while. All of the espn specials have been great, even the ones you think you wouldn't like at all are interesting enough to watch.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

vCash: 130
Quote:
I think it's more a question of starter vs. depth. If the Broncos believe that Bailey has 2-3 good years left at corner, then spending big is stupid. If, however, they believe they have maybe one year of a really quality Bailey at corner (which is my belief), then it's not so outlandish. I'm not talking about $9M specifically, rather talking about bigger money that $1M.

Because a Tony Carter-Chris Harris combination will get lit up. Mostly due to Carter. IMO.
Champ isn't the same, but he's still up there. The defensive coordinator just has to put him on guys that he can match up with or have safety help over the top on guys that have elite speed. Not many corners are asked to play without help over the top for the entire season much less their career. At worst your team could move him to free safety and have him use his intelligence and instincts to play center field. I'd be more worried about your run game or manning losing arm strength by the time the playoffs roll around.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Rhaego

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Laughable
Yeah Dumervil is an all world player right?

Old
02-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
Yeah Dumervil is an all world player right?
Who said he was? But he's shown more than Ayers.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The U View Post
Champ isn't the same, but he's still up there. The defensive coordinator just has to put him on guys that he can match up with or have safety help over the top on guys that have elite speed. Not many corners are asked to play without help over the top for the entire season much less their career. At worst your team could move him to free safety and have him use his intelligence and instincts to play center field. I'd be more worried about your run game or manning losing arm strength by the time the playoffs roll around.

Great assessment. I think the Broncos get a little overconfident in Bailey's skills and don't support him adequately over the top.

I have serious doubts about his ability to play safety though.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Both Woodson and Freeney cut today. I'd like to see the Broncs go for Freeney but not Woodson.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Shame Freeney can't play inside.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:05 PM
Bonzai12

I think the Broncos could make a play for Randy Starks if Miami doesn't tag him. I'm anxiously awaiting to see what the Dolphins do. Starks would be the top DT on the market I believe.

Also yahoo sports is saying that all kinds of teams are trying to lure the Nuggets into becoming 3rd party for trades and throwing in their young guys but the Nuggets are staying put.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports: The Minnesota Timberwolves were turned down on an offer of Brandon Roy and a first-round pick to Denver for center Timofey Mozgov, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. Denver is combing the market further for offers on Mozgov. He will be a restricted free agent this summer, and the emergence of Kosta Koufos could make it hard for Denver to match an offer sheet for Mozgov. The Timberwolves are trying to include Roy’s contract into offers, selling the non-guaranteed value of his 2013-14 year as an appealing factor. Roy is rehabilitating his knees, and neither the Wolves, nor Roy, truly expect he’ll be able to play again in the NBA, sources said.
http://nba.si.com/2013/02/20/nba-tra...2_a4&eref=sihp

Weird that we wouldn't take that offer. A 1st for Mozgov I'd take and run.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:48 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:
http://nba.si.com/2013/02/20/nba-tra...2_a4&eref=sihp

Weird that we wouldn't take that offer. A 1st for Mozgov I'd take and run.
Especially from the Wolves!

they have pieces to build... but still, there's value to that pick.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:01 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Tell you what, the NBA has definitely turned me off for a number of years, but I think Masai Ujiri might be the guy who helps me get back into it. At least he's coming forward to TELL us his plan going forward, even being honest about his team's chances this year and not just giving lip service.

How refreshing...a front office that doesn't treat players and fans like cattle. Too bad the Kroenkes think too much of Lacroix to realize a change needs to be made.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Rhaego

vCash: 50
Quote:
Who said he was? But he's shown more than Ayers.
Yeah he's also a lot more expensive, a one trick pony, and declining.

I wish he was he used to be, but he isn't.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:52 AM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Tell you what, the NBA has definitely turned me off for a number of years, but I think Masai Ujiri might be the guy who helps me get back into it. At least he's coming forward to TELL us his plan going forward, even being honest about his team's chances this year and not just giving lip service.
All I have been reading throughout this entire trade deadline is how smart, incredibly thorough, and great this guy is. They're saying he is one of the brightest up and coming guys in the NBA. I hope that's true for the Nuggets sake.

The only move I don't like is that I thought they should have traded away Andre Miller so we could have kept Corey Brewer, but I guess they think Miller's veteran leadership is more important. I like Brewer a lot. Will be tough to see him go if it happens, but it's not going to absolutely crush the team or anything. I just like the guy's defense a lot. Now that they have AI though they basically have an upgrade over Brewer (perimeter defense plus offense) so I guess it makes him dispensable.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Bonzai12

Chet you will love this article

http://tracking.si.com/2013/02/23/e-...e-nfl-combine/

this dude is crazy.

Closed Thread