Old
02-10-2013, 06:39 PM
ginblossoms

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Welcome.

Sounds like you're pretty much on par with what we all think here, so that's good.
i disagree... and i thank THAT'S good...

different opinions makes one think twice about their own. i'd insert some sort of clever aphorism here, but can't think of any at the moment...

Old
02-10-2013, 06:47 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
i disagree... and i thank THAT'S good...

different opinions makes one think twice about their own. i'd insert some sort of clever aphorism here, but can't think of any at the moment...
Nuh ughhh ....

Take that hippie talk outta here.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:00 PM
GreatBritishStarsFan

Well I'm on the not fire Gully wagon, I guess thats fairly radical compared to the "FIRE GULLY" thread haha

Old
02-10-2013, 07:15 PM
BigG44

Read this however you want, but it doesn't seem like to me that the GM has a problem with Philip Larsen sitting:

Quote:
“You’re trying to juggle all these balls, and you are trying to find chemistry and now in these last three or four games we are starting to find some consistency in our lines and in our D, and it makes a big difference,” said Nieuwendyk. “Now, we have to take our game to another level.”
Based on practice update, Larsen is still the 7th D as well. He'll likely have to wait for an injury to strike I suspect before he gets another opportunity.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

vCash: 57
send gully to ahl and call up willie

Old
02-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Read this however you want, but it doesn't seem like to me that the GM has a problem with Philip Larsen sitting:

Based on practice update, Larsen is still the 7th D as well. He'll likely have to wait for an injury to strike I suspect before he gets another opportunity.
That really pisses me off.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:57 PM
cmwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post

Both Gully and Joe deserve to be fired for this one move alone. Larsen is better or as good as any defenseman in our lineup and has proved it in the last few games he has played in. So we bench him and stunt his development to let robidas and rome play?

Old
02-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Troy McClure

Building chemistry through consistency is a good thing. We saw what a mess a handful of staggered injuries among the forwards created. Having the same people in the lineup at their proper spots has been a huge boost to the chemistry.

This team saw so much turnover from last year to this season. Half of the top six forwards are new, and half of the starting d-men are new. They need an opportunity to gel. The overall play has trended up recently.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwang View Post
Both Gully and Joe deserve to be fired for this one move alone. Larsen is better or as good as any defenseman in our lineup and has proved it in the last few games he has played in. So we bench him and stunt his development to let robidas and rome play?

Come on. Fire the GM and coach over the playing time of one pretty generic young d-man? Ain't happening.

Larsen isn't better than Dillon or Daley. Those two are much better than Larsen today. Oleksiak is already as good with a ceiling well above Larsen's head (figuratively and literally). Goligoski has struggled, but Larsen isn't taking his spot.

That leaves Robidas. Is Larsen better than Robidas? Maybe, but the team freaking loves Robidas.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:52 PM
cmwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Come on. Fire the GM and coach over the playing time of one pretty generic young d-man? Ain't happening.

Larsen isn't better than Dillon or Daley. Those two are much better than Larsen today. Oleksiak is already as good with a ceiling well above Larsen's head (figuratively and literally). Goligoski has struggled, but Larsen isn't taking his spot.

That leaves Robidas. Is Larsen better than Robidas? Maybe, but the team freaking loves Robidas.
Its Robidas and Rome who I really have a problem with. Oleksiak has to play since he is up, dillon/daley are solid, and goligoski is a mess but you have to let him figure it out (hopefully).

But Larsen is solid defensively and has a higher offensive upside than anyone on our dline right now other than goligoski. There is no way he should be riding the bench at 23 to let robidas and rome play. Its hurting us right now and it will hurt his development for the future.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:41 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Jerrard is ruining Larsen. He doesn't know how to coach a cerebral finesse defenseman so he's molding him into the only type of defenseman he knows how to coach. Dillon looks better because he plays a simple physical game by nature so it's easy for him to buy into that style.

The scratches are just the visible manifestation of a deeper problem. The same thing is happening to Goligoski.

It's funny, even though Larsen is horribly suited for the type of play that's expected from him, he's still doing a pretty passable job.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Fly Like a C5

Isn't Larsen still exempt from waivers? Why no send him back to Austin? If the coaching staff is happy with D group then having Larsen sit in the press box waiting for someone to get hurt is a waste. Call up Jordie and let the Benn brothers hang out in Dallas while Larsen gets to actually play in Austin.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:31 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
I feel like that's what they're trying to build this team as. A simple, big, hard hitting club. We need to find a balance, though.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:26 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Like a C5 View Post
Isn't Larsen still exempt from waivers? Why no send him back to Austin? If the coaching staff is happy with D group then having Larsen sit in the press box waiting for someone to get hurt is a waste. Call up Jordie and let the Benn brothers hang out in Dallas while Larsen gets to actually play in Austin.
According to the old rules ... yes he'd need to clear waivers. I didn't think the rules changed, but according to those rules, Sceviour should have required waivers.

I still don't understand how every other player that required waivers in September to go down to the AHL before the lockout officially started required waivers again before the NHL season ... every one but Sceviour it seems. I didn't see another example of that, but every other Dallas Star that was waived in September was also waived a 2nd time prior to Jan. 19th.

This article even says the LA Kings were forced to again expose Hickey and Clune (they lost both the next day) because they needed to clear to return to the AHL.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:29 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Building chemistry through consistency is a good thing. We saw what a mess a handful of staggered injuries among the forwards created. Having the same people in the lineup at their proper spots has been a huge boost to the chemistry.

This team saw so much turnover from last year to this season. Half of the top six forwards are new, and half of the starting d-men are new. They need an opportunity to gel. The overall play has trended up recently.
Consistency is meaningless if you're consistently putting the wrong people on the ice.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
This extended break feels weird!

Old
02-11-2013, 07:32 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
This extended break feels weird!
There's another one coming soon. IIRC, they play this coming Sunday, and then they are off until Thursday.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Consistency is meaningless if you're consistently putting the wrong people on the ice.
By "wrong people" in plural, you really only mean one guy, right?

Old
02-11-2013, 12:47 PM
BigG44

Roussel will not play in Edmonton per Mark Stepneski.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:55 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:

So they're being logical but illogical, is that about it? Larsen has played better than Robidas "but the team freaking loves Robidas", so in that particular situation they're being illogical when it comes to icing the best lineup. But, they're being logical because it's good to have consistency, etc. I actually haven't caught a single game Rome has played in but file that situation in the "he's not going to be here for the long term" folder. Yes, Gulutzan is playing Dillon, Oleksiak, and has mixed in Benn and Larsen for other games. I just don't see why there's a cap on how many rookies you can play, especially if those rookies are playing better than certain veterans, and especially given the fact that this is a building season - which it is.

To you, Larsen is a "generic defenseman", so obviously you wouldn't really care if he is given ice time or not. Others feel differently, and given his play last season it seems we have the better case; the guy played 2/3 of last season averaging 18 mins/game and he was one of a few defensemen who finished a plus player. He also only had 16 penalty minutes. For some reason, he's the guy on this defense with the least amount of leeway to make a mistake.

I'm going to keep *****ing about him not playing until that changes.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:22 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

With the condensed season adding lots of back to backs and whatnot, I figured those would play an unusually important role in playoff seeding. I was curious which teams benefited the most, so I pulled some numbers out of a very fancy hat and got this table.

B2B is the number of back to backs
Opp B2B is the number of time a team plays an opponent who is playing the second of a back to back
+/- is the difference between the two, minuses means disadvantage, pluses mean advantage
srtbls +/- I just added 7 to each of the +/- numbers so it's actually properly sortable.

Basically the NHL hates Toronto and this amuses me.

Team
Opp B2B
B2B
+/-
srtbl +/-
New Jersey810-25
Pittsburgh117411
NY Rangers96310
Philadelphia510-52
NY Islanders117411
Boston8718
Toronto29-70
Ottawa68-25
Montreal59-43
Buffalo139411
Tampa Bay9818
Carolina79-25
Winnipeg9818
Florida9729
Washington10829
Chicago1012-25
Detroit812-43
Nashville11929
St Louis111018
Columbus811-34
Vancouver117411
Edmonton78-16
Minnesota79-25
Calgary11929
Colorado10918
Anaheim810-25
San Jose69-34
Dallas89-16
Phoenix128411
Los Angeles128411

Old
02-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Damn, that's a really cool chart man. Interesting stats!

Old
02-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I just don't see why there's a cap on how many rookies you can play, especially if those rookies are playing better than certain veterans, and especially given the fact that this is a building season - which it is.
You're making the mistake of thinking that the team is not interested in winning this season. Heika may have called this a "transition season," but nothing this team has done has given me the impression the team thinks of this season as little more than an extended training camp for young players. They are playing veterans in key roles, but they are also playing more young players than this team has ever done in the past. Larsen not playing is less about a cap on rookies and more about a cap on small defensemen, with the few spots for them going to veterans who have proven more.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:22 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Quote:
You're making the mistake of thinking that the team is not interested in winning this season.
How in the world did you get that idea?

Old
02-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Why am I not surprised Pitt is +4?

Closed Thread