HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10-13-1. "A bunch of donkeys on skates"

View Poll Results: What should the Caps do?
Tank and trade UFA's 1 20.00%
Tank and re-tool 4 80.00%
Trade futures to right the ship 0 0%
Stand pat, hoping they pull it together. 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 01:03 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
I feel a 9th place finish and a 14th pick coming on as the Caps play just well enough to utterly **** up any positives this season has to offer.

But I also think Oates could prove a solid coach with a better roster.
Let's not lose our heads here, that was the Panthers they were playing last night. Though the Caps looked good, the Panthers still outshot them (Hunteresqe like moment).

Old
02-10-2013, 01:03 PM
amjay13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Pretty much. I fear they've gone from the Sharks East to the Flames East.
Look at the Flames core and then the Caps core. The Flames core has nowhere near the talent the Caps core has not to mention the Caps core is still young (Ovy, Backis, Green, Alzner, Carlson, Holtby, etc all under 28 still). The Caps also have two very high end prospects plus Wilson who I think is going to be a force although he is a few years away. This is not a major rebuilding project. I'd be ok with trading a piece of the core to fill a need but there is zero reason to blow it all up.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:13 PM
bacchist

Right now, mathematically we have 4.9% playoff chances...

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/E...ashington.html

Old
02-10-2013, 01:14 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Let's not lose our heads here, that was the Panthers they were playing last night. Though the Caps looked good, the Panthers still outshot them (Hunteresqe like moment).
I had this feeling before the game. I don't think they're any good really, but I also don't think they're quite as bad as their record. And I'm a Caps fan, so I expect the worst possible outcome in all situations.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:28 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
I had this feeling before the game. I don't think they're any good really, but I also don't think they're quite as bad as their record. And I'm a Caps fan, so I expect the worst possible outcome in all situations.
Understand, when they put the C-A-P-S up on the board at the Verizon Center and have the organist lead the fans in the chant, I wanted to go T-A-N-K, Tank Tank Tank

Old
02-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchist View Post
Right now, mathematically we have 4.9% playoff chances...

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/E...ashington.html
So you're saying there's a chance! lol

Old
02-10-2013, 01:36 PM
bacchist

I already said we would make the playoffs....

Old
02-10-2013, 06:08 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
The Tampa Boston game rescheduled to April 26th.. Not sure.

It does a lot for the team even if they have more games played to feel they are still in it and try hard, but it would of been nice if Tampa had back to back losses and to extend their losing streak to 5 games.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Look at the Flames core and then the Caps core. The Flames core has nowhere near the talent the Caps core has not to mention the Caps core is still young (Ovy, Backis, Green, Alzner, Carlson, Holtby, etc all under 28 still). The Caps also have two very high end prospects plus Wilson who I think is going to be a force although he is a few years away. This is not a major rebuilding project. I'd be ok with trading a piece of the core to fill a need but there is zero reason to blow it all up.
I don't want to completely blow it up either, but a 9th place finish represents a lost year in every way imaginable. It's another year off the core's useful careers with little or no return.

I think they should sell what they can, as they should have done last year.

I also am hesitant to anoint Forsberg as a top six guy in the NHL the way some other people automatically do. He's an exciting prospect, no doubt, but this team only has one elite prospect, and that's Kuz. Forsberg has a long, long way to go to show that he can be part of what this team needs to get to the top.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Don't agree with your Forsberg assessment.

He might not be a top line player right away like Kuznetsov could and should be.

But he's a top 2 line player within a two or three year time period. No, he might not put out 35-40 goals. But, he's going to be a pretty good player in the NHL if things work out right.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:45 PM
BTCG

Interesting reading you & DD on this... as I have come to like reading you both.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:08 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I don't want to completely blow it up either, but a 9th place finish represents a lost year in every way imaginable. It's another year off the core's useful careers with little or no return.

I think they should sell what they can, as they should have done last year.

I also am hesitant to anoint Forsberg as a top six guy in the NHL the way some other people automatically do. He's an exciting prospect, no doubt, but this team only has one elite prospect, and that's Kuz. Forsberg has a long, long way to go to show that he can be part of what this team needs to get to the top.
Most rankings have Forsberg in or near the top 10 prospects, before of course the fact most of the ones above him are going to have to be taken off.

So when you see them redoing rankings, I guarantee every list will have Kuznetsov #1 and possibly most with Forsberg #3.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:13 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
So when you see them redoing rankings, I guarantee every list will have Kuznetsov #1 and possibly most with Forsberg #3.
There's homers and then there's homers. The odds of this being accurate after the 2013 draft are zero.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Capitlols

The way Kuznetsov is thought of here, I might be the only one that would take Tarasenko over him.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Halpysback

If this game is a turning point away from tank I will be so pissed

our defense is still crap
our secondary scoring is still crap
not tanking this season will just make these issues linger forever

Old
02-10-2013, 10:56 PM
MiSe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
If this game is a turning point away from tank I will be so pissed

our defense is still crap
our secondary scoring is still crap
not tanking this season will just make these issues linger forever
The fact that we are twelve games in and you are adamantly rooting against the team in favor of a tank is disgusting. Please hand your fan card in now.
To think no team had their flaws is narrow minded.
I'd like mackinnon or barkov add much as the next but if there's any chance we make the playoffs, seeing how tampa is stumbling now, then we go for it. Its part of being a fan. Deal with it!

Old
02-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSe View Post
The fact that we are twelve games in and you are adamantly rooting against the team in favor of a tank is disgusting. Please hand your fan card in now.
I'd like mackinnon or barkov add much as the next but if there's any chance we make the playoffs, seeing how tampa is stumbling now, then we go for it. Its part of being a fan. Deal with it!
Here's a question, if they make the playoffs, how much money would you bet on them making the SCF? Or even the ECF?

There's teams having flaws and there's this. Who cares about playoffs if it's just gonna be early elimination? Cup is what matters.

Supporting an ineptly constructed team with imbecilic management just because you're from the area or whatever is the worst kind of fandom. It's why the Leafs have and will continue to be a laughingstock.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Here's a question, if they make the playoffs, how much money would you bet on them making the SCF? Or even the ECF?

There's teams having flaws and there's this. Who cares about playoffs if it's just gonna be early elimination? Cup is what matters.

Supporting an ineptly constructed team with imbecilic management just because you're from the area or whatever is the worst kind of fandom. It's why the Leafs have and will continue to be a laughingstock.

Right on.

If the Caps somehow (hee! hee!) go on a roaring win streak here (hee! hee!) then I'll change my tune. But all the evidence is that this team is crippled. Either the chemistry is just wrong or, worse, the talent is nowhere near good enough. The tank method serves the double-purpose of axing George and bringing a top 5 draft pick to the team. That's a marriage made in heaven!

Old
02-11-2013, 02:41 AM
Capathetic

It's too early to tank. Lets see if the caps can pull it together, which frankly they have multiple times in years past.

The logic of being like Toronto is bogus. So we tank and get a top 3 pick...that makes us Montreal next year without the goaltending. Barkov seems to be the consensus pick for us here in the draft and they took a similar player.

The team should get a working attitude and not a quitting mentality. Besides if we start to tank...we already have a gm that's been in the trenches.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:12 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
There's homers and then there's homers. The odds of this being accurate after the 2013 draft are zero.
Agreed completely. No way Forsberg falls to #3.

1-Kuznetsov
2-Forsberg
3-Jones
4-Mackinnon
5-Wilson
6-Barkov
7-Galiev
8-Lindholm

And so on and so forth.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:41 AM
xcaliber002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynj View Post
It's too early to tank. Lets see if the caps can pull it together, which frankly they have multiple times in years past.

The logic of being like Toronto is bogus. So we tank and get a top 3 pick...that makes us Montreal next year without the goaltending. Barkov seems to be the consensus pick for us here in the draft and they took a similar player.

The team should get a working attitude and not a quitting mentality. Besides if we start to tank...we already have a gm that's been in the trenches.
if for some reason he's still there at #3, I think I'd rather have Drouin instead. No knock on Barkov, I just really like this kid's game.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:20 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynj View Post

History has taught us that they will turn things around.... somewhat, and win their fair share of regular season games.

They may make the playoffs.

But as Halpysback has alluded to, they'll be lucky to make it a round.

Did you watch the team play against the Pens?

That is our future... in the best case, scenario.

Now, please re-read my first line again.

And this is the rub: we seem to be trapped in a loop, much like the episode in Star Trek The Next Generation where they continue to repeat a sequence that ends in the ship exploding. Year after year, we pick the same type players, the same type of on the job training type coaches, and end up with the same result.

The only cure is to fire the management staff, bring in an expert, and have him analyze us from top to bottom... a complete rectal exam, so to speak.

And then... make some real corrective changes that will get us out of this loop.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:29 AM
marcel snapshot

It's the middle of February. There are 36 games left in the season. Imagine it was a full season and we'd been playing like dung for 46 games and yet somehow were still only 4 points out of a playoff spot and 5 points off the division lead -- we'd be pissed that the team was sucking, feel lucky to still be in the race, and believe that there's no more time left to start turning things around. You know, pretty much like last season. . .

Old
02-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
The fact that we are twelve games in and you are adamantly rooting against the team in favor of a tank is disgusting. Please hand your fan card in now.To think no team had their flaws is narrow minded.
With all due respect...who the hell are you to tell someone how they can/will be a fan of some team?

Maybe Halpy's watched this team wallow around in the middling range for 35 years (like I have), and isnt content with "lets just make the playoffs guys!!!!" every year? Maybe he wants more from this franchise, and is ok with some further lean years if it means winning the damn grail before we die? Of course sports isnt everything in life...but some of us are on the backside curve of our fandom, and dont give a rats behind about 1st and 2nd round exits. We want the Ring.

Some of us feel the only way to get a ring is to get new leadership, and some better parts. Best way to do that is described by Atlas above. Get rid of McPhail, and get a young stud to add to this mix.

Understand now?

Old
02-11-2013, 08:38 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
If you're not interested in what's best for the long-term health of the team, please hand your fan card in now.

Closed Thread