HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quarter Season Report Card

Old
02-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quarter Season Report Card

So 1/4 of the glorious (albeit short) NHL season is done. So what are your thoughts on the Oilers in these categories:

MVP? (and why)

Player who has surprised you with his play this season?

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season?

Strongest area of the team? (offense/D/Goaltending)

Thoughts on coaching and system in place?

Positives from the Oilers so far?

Areas where the Oilers need to improve?

Overall grade for the Oilers?

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)?

If you want to do individual grades, feel free.

02-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

vCash: 500
MVP? Dubber. Only reason we are winning some of our games.

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Dubber, see above.

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? Vitney y el kid line. They seem to be very snakebitten.

Strongest area of the team? (offense/D/Goaltending) Goat lending

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? If we were watching the Swiss National team i suppose I would be happy with low scoring games were we squeak out wins with defence and little offence. But we have way too much offensive potential for this.

Positives from the Oilers so far? They are in 9th despite being more or less awful as whole for the season.

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? Fundamentals. Zone entry, hitting the net, puck support.

Overall grade for the Oilers? C-

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? 10th-12th if there isn't a shakeup. maybe Ryan Jones will be a spark. Who knows. This upcoming homestand and following road trip will decide a lot,

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:24 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

MVP - Dubnyk - Standing on his head and giving the team a chance to win every night.

Player who has surprised you with his play this season - Belanger - Thought he was done, but has quietly rebounded into a stable defensive player

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season - Eberle - Not shooting effectively, playing a passive parameter game, and looks to have picked up some lazy habits from the AHL.

Strongest area of the team - Goaltending right now

Thoughts on coaching and system in place - They are going for a much more aggressive, but still conservative system, and the team overall seems much more stable game to game in their defensive consistency. But they are being buoyed by Dubnyk during a stretch where they are accomplishing nothing offensively, and the coach doesn't seem to be pushing much of a message of simplification to some of the players on the team in the offensive zone. Too many nights where they aren't shooting, picking corners instead of getting dangerous shots in and missing the net, overpassing, and making the extra moves resulting in loss of the puck.

Positives from the Oilers so far - Defensive consistency game to game. Doesn't seem to be those real breakdowns where the Oilers look like they don't know what defense is for long stretches, and have consistently kept games close despite their inexperience.

Areas where the Oilers need to improve - Offense, the team can't expect to win consistently when you only score 2 goals a game.

Overall grade for the Oilers - C minus - not bottom of the league bad, but not good enough for a playoff position

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish) - rather evaluate than predict.

A - Dubnyk, J. Shultz
B - Hall, Gagner, Hemsky, Petrell
C - Yakupov, N. Shultz, Smid, Belanger, Petry, Hartikanen, Fistric
D - Horcoff, Potter, Paajarvi, RNH
F - Whitney, Smyth, Eberle
No rank(lack of games) - Eager, Hordichuk, Khabby, Lander, Peckham

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:28 PM
calvinguy

Quote:

MVP? (and why)
Schultz hands down. Been our most consistent player every single game. He plays in every position and there is honestly nothing negative I can say about his game so far.
Quote:
Gagner. What can I say? Nobody expected him to come out this strong since he has always been a slower starter.

Quote:
RNH. Only because I have such high expectations of him.

Quote:
Our offense makes me sad, D appears to be ok apart from potter and whitney. So I guess goal-tending has been the strongest area.
Quote:
I was pretty optimistic about Kreuger at the beginning of the season. Some of his decisions make me question his capability. Like Potter over Fistric. After today's game, I'm really confused about whether he knows how to motivate the team or not. Probably still too early to judge him though.

Quote:
Hall looks much faster and stronger this year. Dubynk beginning to look like a legit NHL starter. Justin Schultz being everything we expected and more.

Quote:
5 on 5 play, getting shots on net, and winning faceoffs. If we can fix those areas, I'm positive we can make the playoffs.
Quote:
c+

Quote:
Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)?
I see them finishing somewhere between 11-13th in the western conference.

calvinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So 1/4 of the glorious (albeit short) NHL season is done. So what are your thoughts on the Oilers in these categories:

MVP? (and why) Dubnyk

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Gagner/Petrell

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? Whitney/Smyth

Strongest area of the team? (offense/D/Goaltending) Goaltending

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? The neutral zone could use some attention

Positives from the Oilers so far? The special teams (apart from gaining the zone on the PP) and goaltending

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? Skill guys need to make simple plays sometimes to keep the opposition honest. Less cute setups, shoot the puck. Defensemen need to be more poised and move their feet in the D-zone when they have the puck, make better D to D passes. Finishing checks, I don't care what size you are you don't have to kill the guy.

Overall grade for the Oilers? C+

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? 8th

If you want to do individual grades, feel free.
I think they've got a team that can make the playoffs, we'll see what happens.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:36 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
MVP: Dubnyk

Surprisingly good player: Gagner, offensively; RNH, defensively. Edit: actually, JSchultz trumps them both.

Surprisingly bad player: Smyth and Whitney

Strongest area: faceoffs (goaltending)

Thoughts on coaching: PP is too stationary and team's have figured out the down-low play from RNH. Get the puck to Eberle and JSchultz more. Try a one-timer from the point to keep the PKers honest.

Areas for improvement: Too many to list, especially after that last game. Turnovers in the defensive zone stick out, though.

Overall grade: Relative to my August 13th place prediction, C-. They are MUCH worse than the record suggests. And that's scary.

Revised season outcome: Still going with 13th in the conference.

Last edited by The Bored Man: 02-11-2013 at 12:10 AM.
The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Spawn

MVP? (and why) Devan Dubnyk 2.45 GAA 0.928 SV%... Nuf said

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? J. Schultz. I was not expecting him to be as composed defensively as he has been. This kid is a stud

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? I think we all secretly hoped Whitney was healthy and ready to return to form prior to his injury troubles here. Well he isn't even close sadly.

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? Constantly out shot, out chanced and out worked. I don't know if that is a coaching issue entirely, but it sure doesn't seem to be helping the case.

Positives from the Oilers so far? Justin Schultz looks great, Sam Gagner may be having a break-out year. Hemsky has quietly put together a nice offensive season so far

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? 5v5 play. Both defensively and offensively. Get hemmed into our own zone far too frequently and are unable to generate scoring chances on any sort of a consistent basis

Overall grade for the Oilers? C-. Team looks awful, but they are still picking up some points. Haven't completely fallen out of it or anything. But there needs to be a major wake up here if this team hopes to finish out of the bottom 5 again this year.

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? I can't remember if I ever had a pre-season prediction, but I was thinking somewhere around 10-12 in the west. I might be leaning towards worse than that now.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:55 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

MVP? (and why)
Dubnyk - I don't have to say why
Sam Gagner - definitely didn't expect the offense from him the way he's produced
Justin Schultz - I knew he was good, but was expecting more of a Karlsson than a calm, cool, collected Suter
Whitney - I labelled him an X-factor before the season started and he's failed miserably.
Ebs/RNH - this is temporary, I expect they'll be back at normal paces by season's end.
Goaltending
I feel Kruger is a very practical coach, and has good systems in place. We may just lack the personnel and discipline to follow through on it. The players we have tend to be very deficient in fundamental skills in hockey, and it gets us in messes.
Dubnyk is a #1 goaltender
Justin Schultz is a future top-pairing defenseman
Secondary scoring - Hemsky's back!
Petry-Smid have been passable as a big-minute pair
Size in the top-6 - we need to ship out some of our "franchise" forwards to make this happen
Bottom-pairing defense
Bottom-6 forwards and checkers
B-
Going to maintain what I'd originally predicted - anywhere from 7-13 (broad, but what do you expect?)

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

MVP? Dubnyk, quite obviously. He's had one bad period, aside from that he's given the oilers a chance to win every game, even if they don't deserve it.

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Gagner. I was a part of the trade Gagner camp and now I'm starting to change my mind. He brings energy to the game like nobody else on the team.

Eberle. He handles the puck so long, the play dies on his stick more than anyone else. I'm not sure what his problem is. Maybe he got used to the crap competition from the AHL.

Strongest area of the team? Goaltending, because of how mediocre the other two have been.

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? Nothing seems to be changing. I'm happy the kids are getting tough minutes but all in all it seems like no matter how bad they are it'll be 'good enough'.

They're finding ways to win and they're still in the playoff race despite not playing well at all yet.

The kids need to get going. They need to forecheck more effectively, challenge the opponent and create turnovers. The oilers are an incredibley passive team.

B-/C+

10th in the west.

A: Dubnyk, Gagner, J Schultz
B: Hemsky, Hall, Smid, Hartikanen, Petrell, N Schultz, Paajarvi, Fistric, Yakupov
C: Petry, RNH, Eberle, Horocff, Belanger
D: Smyth, Potter
F: Whitney

We really aren't that bad. We have a few cold players and unfortunately, those guys are very important.

Last edited by Mr Forever: 02-11-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:17 AM
dnicks17

MVP? (and why) - Dubnyk. Fairly self explanatory.

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Justin Schultz. Thought he'd be good, but not this good this soon.

Players who have disappointed you with their play this season? Smyth and Whitney.

Strongest area of the team? Goaltending.

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? There's a system in place?

Positives from the Oilers so far? The newest building blocks(Yakupov and Schultz) are looking pretty good and Dubnyk has maybe taken the next step.

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? Everywhere.

Overall grade for the Oilers? C-.

Revised season outcome for the Oilers? Sticking with my preseason guess of 13th in the West.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:26 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
MVP? (and why)

Dubnyk. Without him we might be winless this season

Schultz (didn't think he would make this much of an impact in his first year). Dubnyk (has played exceptionally well for the most part. Keeping us in games)

RNH (doesn't have a goal yet, can't hit the net)

Goaltending and its not even close

It looks like they're playing not to lose. Also, we look like the Swiss national team, even with the talented players that we have

Dubnyk looks good. Schultz looks good. We are still in the playoff race despite looking terrible imo

PP, PP, PP, 5 on 5 goals, dumb penalties (Smyth I'm talking to you)

I'll be generous and give them a C-

Considering we got totally outplayed by the blue jackets I'm going to say we will be picking 3rd overall in the draft this season

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:41 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
MVP? (and why)

Dubnyk... only reason the Oilers aren't in last place in the NHL. I honestly think he's a true blue Hart trophy candidate right now.

Dubnyk... didn't think he'd be near this good.

Whitney... sad that he's lost it. Bag o' pucks level of bad at this stage.

Smyth... should get a job as a penalty timekeeper... he's already in there pretty much full time. Slow, poor decision making... liability on the ice. Hordichuk would be more useful at this point... REALLY.

Petry has been nothing... thought he'd be a decent top 4 guy but hasn't looked anything like he did even late last season, has regressed and looks like he may be bottom pairing at best at this rate.

RNH... guy must be hurt or else he is looking like a guy that has regressed severely.

Potter... sucks but we all knew that.

Eberle... snake bit and in a funk but isn't playing as smart as he can. I think he'll break out though... too good a talent not to.

Hall... putting up points but 2 goals and you know he should have more. Like Eberle.. I think he starts potting a few and he'll break this funk.

Smid... taken a step back imo as well but he's still the top blocker and hitter so I'm not getting too down on the guy who plays his heart out and gives all he's got. I obviously think the team around him is making him look worse than he is.

Goaltending by FAR at this point. All other areas are mediocre to poor. PK is solid mainly because of Dubnyk as well. PP was good but seems to be regressing with the rest of this team.

Is there a system in place?

Potter over Fistric... stupid. Smyth at centre... stupid. Yak with VV and MPS... stupid. Team doesn't shoot enough, hit enough, drive to the net enough... did I mention they don't shoot enough? Suck at faceoffs and poor decision making in the offensive zone at ES and on the PP that doesn't lead to enough shots and pressure on opposing dmen and goalies.

Krueger has done nothing so far to impress me and he's one Dubnyk cold stretch away from me calling for his head on a plate.

Goaltending looks solid. J Schultz looks like a stud #1 guy that will dominate given time. I like Yak so far but he's right in the midst of a team going through a massive cold spell on offense so it's hard to judge how a green rookie is doing in the middle of that. 5 goals so far tells me he's not the problem.

Shoot the ****ing puck. faceoffs (easier said than done). More physicality. (Fistric over Potter/Whitney helps in that department). Peckham may help as well.

D (A for goaltending)

I said 5th in the West originally because I'm usually a super optimistic guy (not really.. but with regards to the Oilers yes). I thought this would be the year they take a quantum leap with so much talent that they'd leapfrog several teams. I'm still doggedly sticking to that prediction even though this 1st quarter has been an eye opening reality check like a slap in the face with a big, sloppy 15 pound mackerel.

They really are fundamentally a team with SO many holes yet... it's amazing they have 13 pts after 12 games. That's a pace of 52 pts over 48... 89 over a full season. Not enough to be a playoff team but certainly more pts than they deserve by their performances so far this season where they have been dominated all year in so many departments. Outshot, outhit, putrid faceoffs, bad 5 on 5 play... giveaways... the list goes on.

If you want to do individual grades, feel free.[/QUOTE]

It's a team game so I'll just say the team taken as a whole has been very underwhelming. I don't think it's terminal but it's going to take a HELL of a lot of work on the part of the coaching staff to turn this team around AND Tambo will have to make some moves because changes need to happen.

It's pretty clear that some better vets who can actually win faceoffs, shoot the puck and hit people are needed on this roster.

Easier said than done when 29 other teams are also looking for those ingredients as well. It just seems the Oilers are once again bottom of the barrel in many essential departments. I naively thought they were further along than they are. Nope.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Lowe in Oil

MVP? Dubnyk - Best player on the ice most nights

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Dubnyk

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? Smyth

Positives from the Oilers so far? Hemsky regaining old form.

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? Offense, defense, and team play

Overall grade for the Oilers? C-

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? 8th in West

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:13 AM
#ualberta

MVP? (and why) Dubnyk, he's been great for us. Honorable mention: J. Schultz

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Sam Gagner, he's having his best season so far and has been arguable our best forward.

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? Eberle he was our best player the last to seasons and has been playing very bad so far, but i think he will turn it around along with nuge.

Strongest area of the team? (offense/D/Goaltending) G

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? Krueger takes a bit to long to make changes, he's being a bit to passive/cautious. The PP needs adjusting he has not worked as of late. But the PK is great and we are playing a much more sound defensive game for the most part.

Positives from the Oilers so far? Excluding a couple games, we have kept every game very close. Also gagner and hemsky are playing good.

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? Need to shoot more. Win board battles stop getting trapped in our own zone Simplify the offense give aways

Overall grade for the Oilers? C we are not playing very good but we are keeping most of our games very close our key offensive players need to play to their potential we still have 75% of the season to go if the offense gets going we can win alot of games.

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? I like to think we can still make the playoffs, i expect them to compete for a playoff spot which is what i said before the season.

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:35 AM
Burnt Biscuits

MVP? (and why) Dubnyk, the why is self explanatory

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Gagner is really busting out, prone to hot steaks before but I think he's reached another level. Justin Schultz isn't surprising watched too many AHL games it was pretty clear he was going to be very good.

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? Whitney, hands down. Hearing reports he was skating well, got me really optimistic. I can't remember who in the Edmonton media said that, but they clearly need glasses

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? It seems like everyone is buying into atleast trying to play better defense. They still clearly need to work on a lot of issues though.

Positives from the Oilers so far? Quarter way through the season and were still in the mix for a playoff spot and that's with many of our best players not contributing as much as they are capable of.

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? Clearly 5 on 5, and more pucks in the opposition net.

Overall grade for the Oilers? C- we are relying on strong goaltending too much and need to play better.

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? I predicted either 10th or 11th in the west, were currently sitting 9th. I still think we'll be pretty close to that marker, although I believe if we could make the playoffs with this crew if we cut some dead weight and made some minor acquisitions.

Burnt Biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:42 AM
Sheikyerbouti

I see little condemnation of our management while the coaching staff gets blamed for player decisions on the ice. Our reaction to icing the worst fourth line in hockey was to try it again. Insanity. We have all the same deficiencies as we've had for years while MacTambLowe smiles for pictures with draft picks.

***** MacTambLowe says:

Lupul naw, Pitkanen, meh, O'Sullivan.. YES!
Rolli, way to old for 2 years; Khabi for 4!
Potter has played well his first dozen games; lock-em up longterm
Glencross doesn't deserve 1.2 million; leave him for Calgary
Look at all these wingers!
Mmmmm 5"10 AND offensive.. You had me at 5"10!
This team is one Hossa away from contending
Petry has outplayed Gilbert for twenty games; let's trade Gilbert!
We need a DVD!
This team is full of strong leaders; 20 games later... We need a culture change, our vets are entitled, trade/waive, sewer the legacy of the players that took us to the cup
We need leadership and vets!
This team is one Heatley away from contending
Torres is too physical; we need Brule!
No, we need physical players; let's spend 6 rounds drafting for need
We are one Penner away from contending
The building is dead because we lose all the time; cheerleaders!
I dunno cheerleading is really misogynist, "just get average girls then its not sexist"
Smyth scores, but Horcoff works hard in the gym; easy decision
Oops, well I'll take Smyth back so he can retire; for three years
We don't need a big center that wins face-offs; brodziak for free
Laraque is a plug; injuries... ugh need tough guy; NO, team toughness; nope toughguy; Hordichuck 1:02 TOI
What's a bridge contract?
Sign Souray cuz he's nothing like Pronger; Ahh he's worse.. Rot!
O-Dman don't fall from the sky, let's trade intangibles
He fell from the sky!!! If only we had character center and defensive depth

Seriously, this team lacks a strong vision or identity from the top. In fact it seems to change staunchly in one direction dependent on the last twenty games. It amazes me how many athletes get jobs in upper management. Coaching and scouting sure, but its the only multi-million dollar business that is routinely lead by people of average intellect. Baseball and Soccer realized it, everyone else is behind.

Lowe in the past could at least work a trade negotiation. Tamby seems to have negated that quality.

We've blamed three good coaches now for the failures of the team. It's easier, but the management makes poor decisions repeatedly.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:13 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

I like how that offtopic rant ends at 2009 - 2010, around the time the rebuild started

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:54 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
I like how that offtopic rant ends at 2009 - 2010, around the time the rebuild started

Ha because we haven't done anything since then

Sorry it was off topic

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Lessy

MVP:
Devan Dubnyk
Pretty tough to argue this one. If it weren't for our goaltender we'd be around the basement of the NHL rather than in the playoff mix. He's had one below average game and it was essentially one period against SJ. Aside from that and the Calgary game the guy has been brilliant and has stolen us points on more than one occasion.

Lennart Petrell
I couldn't stand the guy last year but he's been a beast on the PK and without Horcoff/Jones/Belanger we needed someone to step up in this aspect. Along with Smid he's been our best PKer and a big reason why that unit is overachieving right now.

Ryan Whitney
I said going into the year that if we were going to be making a run at the playoffs we needed Whitney and Hemsky to be key players for us. Hemsky has done his part while Whitney has looked like the worst player in the NHL at times. A healthy scratch in 2 of his last 4 pretty much sums up his game right. Thankfully he's in the last year of his contract.

Strongest area of the team?
Goaltending
Dubnyk has been lights out while virtually every other aspect of this team has been questionable at best.

We need more than a dozen games to evaluate this. It pains me to watch our top powerplay unit at times. Yakupov has the best one-timer on the team and needs to be a focal point on the top unit. I have no problem with him getting 3rd line minutes at ES but he's a better powerplay player than Taylor Hall and needs to be played like it. Krueger also seems to have a love affair with Corey Potter which is irritating and has cost us a few goals so far.

Justin Schultz looks unreal so far and has exceeded the huge expectations that came with him after his start in the AHL. I feel like we have a goaltender that is capable of winning a Stanley Cup, albeit not on his own. He's not going to go Tim Thomas or Jon Quick but with the potential we have elsewhere all we really need is a Niemi or Fleury and I think we have it. The PK has also been outstanding given our personnel.

Even strength offensive production has been disgraceful. It's so obvious that this team needs more size and beligerence but Tambo continues to neglect this in favour of skill, skill and more skill.

C

10th West

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:44 AM
waffen

Prior to this abbreviated season I read numerous posts on this BB that the key ingredient to making the playoffs was going to hinge on how Whitney would return to something close to his pre-injury form and the support role from the other vets etc...

did not happen and will not happen so.. this team is going to sink or swim on what the 25 and under do.. so far 5-4-3 I'LL TAKE IT

let's GO OIL

waffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Beerfish

MVP? (and why): Dubnyk easily.

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Whitney, I never imagined he could be this bad.

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? Whitney again. Eberle also.

goaltending.

Poor. Same awful asst coaches as last year.

They are playing badly but hanging in and getting points. Justin Schultz is a tremendous player. Gagner playing well.

A new gm is required along with a new head guy of hockey operations.

Their point results: B Their actual play: C-

No revision.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Lessy

Devan Dubnyk A
Can't ask for much more than what he's given us through the first 12. Singlehandedly stole us some points and really shouldn't be relied on to do so this much given what we have on this roster. He's had one bad period so far and his numbers back up his outstanding play.

Justin Schultz A
Expectations were sky high coming out of ripping the AHL apart and he's managed to exceed them at both ends of the ice. Incredible poise and he's really surprised me in the defensive zone. He's been our best skater which is awesome and disturbing at the same time. A legitimate young top pairing defencemen is what we needed and I think it might be what we have in Justin Schultz. Hopefully he can maintain this level because the college seasons aren't nearly this long and strenuous.

Nick Schultz C+
I liked the trade last year when it happened and I'm still OK with it. Nick Schultz has been somewhat reliable and he's been a leader and worn a letter on every team he's played on throughout his career. He's playing a top four role when ideally he'd be a #5 but he's done fine and I feel like he's been a great help for Justin Schultz as well. He's made a few blunders and could stand to be more physical but there are bigger problems on this team than 15.

Jeff Petry C
Kind of a meh start for Petry so far but he is being asked to play against top opposition and he's just not a good option to be playing that role on a good team. I'd also have liked more offensive production from him and maybe the PP time is on it's way with Whitney's regression but he's left a lot to be desired through the first 12 games. After a great finish to last year I expected more to be honest.

Ladislav Smid B
Laddy has been his steady self, nothing more and nothing less. I really hope we can get this guy resigned because he's as steady a player as we have and also arguably our grittiest guy that isn't on the fourth line. A huge reason for the success of our penalty kill and a beast in his own zone.

Corey Potter C-
Krueger has a love affair with this guy for some reason and it's starting to hurt us. He's not an NHL caliber player but has looked out of place against even the weakest of opposition. If we're going to be playing such a liability back there I'd rather it be a guy with a bit of upside or a player that will drop the gloves like a Teubert for instance. Passes the puck like a grenade, hasn't produced offence and loses puck battles in our own zone on a regular basis. I sincerely hope he's in the AHL next year.

Ryan Whitney D
In the running for the worst player in the NHL through the first 12 games of the year. Just a trainwreck in his own zone because of his nonexistent compete level and footspeed. I really expected more from Whitney this year who should be at least close to healthy and is in a contract year. At this rate he'll be lucky to rake a seven figure deal next year which is wild for a 29 year old with a history of being a very good player in this league.

Mark Fistric B
He hasn't played much but in the games he has he's been pretty solid. I have no significant complaints about his game and he's been as advertised, no better and no worse. He seems like a decent third pairing defencemen which is more than we can say about Whitney and Potter so far. The grit that he brings is quite welcomed with this laughable lineup that we employ.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins C
I expected a lot more from RNH and have concerns about his shoulder like everyone else on this board. He's been very good defensively and is snakebitten at this point but he needs to be better. This is too good of a player to go through a sophomore slump. I'd like to see him with Yakupov or at the very least away from Taylor Hall, especially on the powerplay. I'm not concerned but he does need to be much better for this team to succeed.

Jordan Eberle B-
I'm surprised at how much flack Eberle has taken on here because he hasn't been that bad. He was our best player through the first 5 or 6 games and like RNH is snakebit right now. Once they start getting the bounces and puck luck the points will come. Started very well and has tailed off a bit but like RNH I'm not very concerned about his play.

Taylor Hall C+
The statsheet looks pretty good but his play really hasn't been fantastic. He shouldn't be playing with Eberle and RNH so that we can balance our offense a bit and his style isn't complimentary to those players really. Like the other two he's been way too fancy at times as opposed to using his shot. He's been absolutely terrible on the powerplay as well and could use a demotion to the second unit. I don't think he's been as bad as a few people are making him out to be but his play has left much to be desired.

Sam Gagner A
Our leading scorer and deservedly so. He's been consistently solid and has improved defensively even though he did get schooled by Umberger last night. He's played awesome so far and I have to wonder what happens with him this summer as he's in a contract year. If this production continues I'm not sure we can afford to pay him the price he could warrant. He's been our best forward through 12 games and hopefully he can sustain this play. 28 points in 36 games gives him a 40 point year which is fantastic in a shortened season.

Nail Yakupov B+
He's been better than I expected with his transition to the North American game. Has some physical edge and has been far better defensively than I anticipated, especially after watching him at the WJC. Needs to get some time on the top PP unit where RNH can feed him for one-timers. Love the competitiveness that he's displayed and his talent level is obviously through the roof. Great start to his NHL career.

Ales Hemsky B
Another player with a pretty solid start. At times he's been the most dangerous player on the ice at both ends. The turnovers and soft play in critical areas are still present and have cost us some goals in our net but he's also producing offensively which is what you get with Hemsky when he's on. Still a good top six winger but he is redundant on this team given his skillset and size. He certainly hasn't been invisible in many games which is generally a good sign with Hemsky.

Shawn Horcoff C
Unfortunate that he got hurt as we don't have much in terms of faceoff prowess on our roster. He's a black hole offensively and at that salary I wonder if he gets bought out this summer. He would need to get replaced which shouldn't be too difficult but keep in mind we have Steve Tambellini running the team. With what we have he's a pretty important player on our roster because of faceoffs and he's still an average to good defensive player in this league.

Teemu Hartikainen B
Offensive production still isn't there but we're getting flashes of his potential and what he could be. With some improvements to his game like a better forecheck he could slot in with RNH and Eberle on the regular. He's done very well in front of the net on the powerplay and seems like he's leapfrogged Smyth on the depth chart which is more than fair given their play through the first quarter of the year.

Magnus Paajarvi C+
Seems to be changing his role and moulding a career as a third liner which is fine given the other players we have on our roster. Will need to be more physical going forward with his size but he has all the tools to be a very good third line forward in this league. Was nice to see him chip in on offense yesterday as well. He's also done some nice work on the PK but offensively and physically he's left a bit to be desired.

Ryan Smyth D+
I didn't hate it at the time but that looks like an awful contract right now. We knew he'd be slow but the selfish penalties are getting ridiculous. Got bailed out by Paajarvi and Dubnyk last night in a big way. I have no problem with him being on our roster as the 13th forward as he's an Oiler icon and he has done a nice job filling in at center with our injuries which is nice. He hasn't been very good defensively nor on the PK either which is where he needs to contribute if he's going to be in the lineup full-time.

Eric Belanger B+
After a big-time down year last year he's come up pretty big in the first quarter. He's winning faceoffs which is more than you can say about anyone else on the roster and he's been a beast on the PK as well. Hopefully he can start pitching in offensively a bit because he does have the upside to do so but he's been a pleasant surprise so far and might make a Horcoff buyout this summer more of a possibility.

Lennart Petrell A
Can't ask for much more than what he's given us through 12 games. A shot blocking machine on the PK and he's just generally made some very heady plays. I didn't like him much last year but he's played his role to a tee this year and deserves a ton of credit. A big part of our overachieving PK and he's been the biggest surprise of the year in my books.

Not enough games: Eager, Hordichuk, Khabibulin, Lander

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:16 AM
stoff

MVP? (and why) Dubnyk, self explanatory

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Schultz junior. Knew he would be good offensively but he is outstanding in all areas so far.

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? Whitney, RNH and Eberle

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? I like the aggressive style on the penalty kill, as well as ice time distribution and using players in specific roles. Don't like the overuse of potter and whitney. Also think there should be more planning on the power play

Positives from the Oilers so far? Dubnyk and the penalty kill

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? 5 on 5 scoring and winning battles

Overall grade for the Oilers? B-. If you would have told me at the beginning of the year we would have 13 points in the first 12 games i would have been happy. Team will improve on the scoring so far but Dubnyk should regress a bit as well. So they are about where i thought they would be, albeit they got there a little differently than i thought.

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? The same. Competing for the playoffs but not a lock.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

MVP? (and why) Dubnyk AINEC, he's been single handedly keeping us in every game (bar the Sharks game).

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Gagner has quietly put up above ppg so far. Schultz looks almost like a top pairing dman in his rookie season. O.o

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? RNH/Eberle don't look the same.

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? Terrible

Positives from the Oilers so far? Goaltending/Special Teams

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? Less Smyth/Whitney

Overall grade for the Oilers? Dubnyk:A-, everyone else:C

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? 11th

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:06 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

MVP? (and why) Devan Dubnyk, natch.

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Dubnyk, Jesus Schultz.
Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? Can't say Smyth or Whitney because the writing was on the wall for these 2 last year. Biggest disappointments probably Eberle and RNH at this point.

Strongest area of the team? (offense/D/Goaltending) Goaltending, PK. PP will be top 5 but more because of the talent than the actual system I fear.

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? I like Kruger's attitude, I like that he puts skilled players on the PK and in the 3rd period/OT. However, I can't recall an Oilers team getting as few chances 5-on-5, and that's going back to some pretty mediocre teams. Can't blame him for the injuries or the kids being snakebitten. He's tried to mix the lines up to snap them out of it, as he should.

Positives from the Oilers so far? Goaltending - Dubnyk is earning every penny of what seemed to be an overpayment. PK is consistently great.

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? Everything else. Especially transition play through the neutral zone and blue line entry. Forecheck much? I'd still like a little more physical play as well. Getting Eager back and soon Jones will help. Not convinced RNH and Gagner can be our top 2 centers going forward.

Overall grade for the Oilers? Overall C+. They have had to deal with Whitney being a shell of his former self, and so the Whitney/Potter/Fistric carousel, and losing Horcoff, Belanger and Lander at the same time was comical.

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? I said in the poll before the season that my head said 10th and my heart said 7th, so I picked 7th. 10th is more likely and probably wouldn't be a terrible result, given the craziness of the season. If the kids start getting hot we could go on a tear though.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote