HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ovechkin to the Pens BLOCKBUSTER

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 11:03 PM
CaptainCally

vCash: 500
Ovechkin to Washington Capitals for $9,5 million.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
If the Caps get to the playoffs.
Ah, so it's kinda how Spezza was worth a bagel the year the Sens missed the playoffs and had to start their retool.

If the caps miss the playoffs its because the roster is ****ing horrible, which it really is. 3 top 6 players, one sniper on the whole team, unsynchronized bottom 6, defense a total mess beyond one pairing, goalies playing at AHL level. On a good team Ovechkin is still a 40g 85-90p player who is a playoff animal. I'd rather take the chance of us retooling properly than sell him off for crap.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Yeah, but Staz/Duchene/O'Reilly aren't the best player in the world.

You don't start a discussion with the best player in the world.
You do when you don't care for the discussion to go anywhere

Old
02-10-2013, 11:06 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
at least you're being honest with your intentions.

at $9.5M per year, i want no part of this version of Ovechkin.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Fair enough. I think we can both agree with this sentiment.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 93
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Ah, so it's kinda how Spezza was worth a bagel the year the Sens missed the playoffs and had to start their retool.

If the caps miss the playoffs its because the roster is ****ing horrible, which it really is. 3 top 6 players, one sniper on the whole team, unsynchronized bottom 6, defense a total mess beyond one pairing, goalies playing at AHL level. On a good team Ovechkin is still a 40g 85-90p player who is a playoff animal. I'd rather take the chance of us retooling properly than sell him off for crap.
When a player makes as much as Ovechkin, there is no "he's not on a good enough team" excuse, if you are making that much money, you need to produce.

Old
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Any Ov to Pittsburgh deal has to start with Crosby
Ya know my life was actually a little better 3 years ago, so if we're going back in time I might be interested in this.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:

He managed 106 pts on the 4th worst team in 05-06.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:11 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Cap hell. No from Pittsburgh.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
He managed 106 pts on the 4th worst team in 05-06.
Very much different circumstances.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:13 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

We cannot afford Ovechkin any more than we could in the last three threads. Maybe try trading him somewhere else next.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
When a player makes as much as Ovechkin, there is no "he's not on a good enough team" excuse, if you are making that much money, you need to produce.
Players don't get paid to produce, they get paid to sign with a team for a period of time. There's no stipulation for Malkin to score X goals to make his 8.7 million a year.

As far as "not good enough team", yeah he can keep dragging subpar teams to playoffs, but after a while he won't. That's true for most superstars. I mean look at the Pens game, he goes all out, rest of the team doesn't follow. That kind of stuff saps your enthusiasm, which is pretty much all his game is.

Either way, he seems like he's coming back somewhat.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
at least you're being honest with your intentions.

at $9.5M per year, i want no part of this version of Ovechkin.
He'd do pretty well in Pittsburgh. He still generates a buttload of offensive chances that get wasted more often than not. It's pretty sad to watch.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

Quote:
Very much different circumstances.
How so?

Old
02-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

Quote:
Players don't get paid to produce, they get paid to sign with a team for a period of time.
Not in the cap era.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Players don't get paid to produce, they get paid to sign with a team for a period of time. There's no stipulation for Malkin to score X goals to make his 8.7 million a year.

As far as "not good enough team", yeah he can keep dragging subpar teams to playoffs, but after a while he won't. That's true for most superstars. I mean look at the Pens game, he goes all out, rest of the team doesn't follow. That kind of stuff saps your enthusiasm, which is pretty much all his game is.

When you are paid a high amount of money, it is because you can play at a high level. There's a reason that Ovechkin gets paid more than Colby Armstrong, that reason is that he is capable of producing much more. With the cap in place, this is extra important, you can't be paying 9 million for a guy who isn't giving you the production to justify his contract.

In the end I couldn't care less, he's not the Pens problem and he never will be. If you're paid like the best player in the world, then there's no excuses. He can't be expected to drag a rubbish team to the cup, he can be expected to produce like one of the best players in the league, he isn't doing that.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:22 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
#doneforthenight

go to bed OP, then tomorrow tell me this thread was a good idea

Old
02-10-2013, 11:23 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:

Gonna be honest with you, I adore Malkin, but when he starts producing like 65 pts in a full 80+ season, I am going to be rather unhappy with that 8.7 cap hit.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
How so?
1. 2005-2006 was an anomaly year where everyone scored a ton as defense and goalies had trouble adjusting.

2. No one knew who he was or how to defend him yet.

3. Zubrus and Clark fit him really well, his current linemates do not. Perhaps Ribeiro and Ward could get there.

4. He was super pumped being a young guy in the NHL. He no longer gets that pumped for every game, but he's still an animal in the playoffs and rivalry games, and above average in most games. Last year he scored 38 goals on a team that was playing an extremely system with scrubs for linemates who couldn't finish anything (hence the enormous assist drop). On a solid offensive team that would probably have been a 45-45 year.

Either way, despite the horrible start (though he's blamed for far more than he's responsible for) I can see him finishing this season close to PPG on our complete mess of a team, and on a more well constructed team he's probably PPG+ while still being a cannon in the playoffs. In Ottawa he's probably around a PPG+ player in MacLean's system and a PPG+ wrecking ball in the playoffs. There are really no words to described how much the caps ****ed up with him and in general. Look at how Semin, aka biggest cancer of last year, is doing in Carolina. They love him.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Gonna be honest with you, I adore Malkin, but when he starts producing like 65 pts in a full 80+ season, I am going to be rather unhappy with that 8.7 cap hit.
What if it's like a 38 goal season and he can't buy an assist because Tangradi and Boychuk don't know how to play hockey.

I'd argue Ovechkin was better in last year's playoffs than Malkin (even if the stats don't show it), especially considering the system and the kamikaze line he was put on. The two caps-pens games so far Ovechkin was playing excellent hockey on par with pens starts, but it was wasted on the rest of the team not showing up and pens just sapping momentum at will with timely goals.

It might make sense to trade him since the way the team is built right now it's not going anywhere one way or another, but I'd much rather put together a deep team that can do legitimate damage and keep him on it.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Halpysback

**** just noticed this is a puckgenius thread

yeah im done

Old
02-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Fuelled by Passion

Laraque + 5-th + bag of pucks for Ovi and caps will take 5 mil of his pay.... Seriously? Stop this stupid threads

Old
02-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

I don't care if Malkin had Koltsov and Ouellet on his wings for the year I'd still be expecting output that justifies his price tag. That's why he is paid nearly 9 million, he is paid to dominate regardless, not just to excel in the right situation.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

Quote:
1. 2005-2006 was an anomaly year where everyone scored a ton as defense and goalies had trouble adjusting.

2. No one knew who he was or how to defend him yet.

3. Zubrus and Clark fit him really well, his current linemates do not. Perhaps Ribeiro and Ward could get there.

4. He was super pumped being a young guy in the NHL. He no longer gets that pumped for every game, but he's still an animal in the playoffs and rivalry games, and above average in most games. Last year he scored 38 goals on a team that was playing an extremely system with scrubs for linemates who couldn't finish anything (hence the enormous assist drop). On a solid offensive team that would probably have been a 45-45 year.

Either way, despite the horrible start (though he's blamed for far more than he's responsible for) I can see him finishing this season close to PPG on our complete mess of a team, and on a more well constructed team he's probably PPG+ while still being a cannon in the playoffs. In Ottawa he's probably around a PPG+ player in MacLean's system and a PPG+ wrecking ball in the playoffs. There are really no words to described how much the caps ****ed up with him and in general. Look at how Semin, aka biggest cancer of last year, is doing in Carolina. They love him.
This is essentially a list of excuses.

Ovechkin was outscored by PARANTEAU.

At 9.5mil it shouldn't matter who his line mates are. Being in discussion for the best player in the world(not anymore) and he requires good linemates to score.

OV has simply regressed to an average 1st liner,

Old
02-10-2013, 11:52 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Yeah, this thread is pretty pointless and way too unrealistic.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Closed Thread