HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Does the Rangers Look and Logo need a update?

Old
07-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Fans outside of NY, Boston or some other 'original' City don't like those teams so of course they'll criticize the jersey. If its not an original team those Cities have to have 'flashy' jerseys(and names for that matter) to attract the masses. Places like NY and Boston already have a fan base, we don't need the gimmicks.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 02:51 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Ok this is top secret insider information (a Eklund e100!), but i'll share it anyways.

the Rangers are being moved to a town in Texas called Walker..

Upon moving the team these new jerseys will be unveiled.

[image]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/mikefavata/walkertexasrangers.jpg[/image]

Anyways, the Rangers jersey is a timeless classic that shouldn't be changed. If anything just make a 3rd jersey with lady liberty.

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 02:53 PM
caldercup0

Send a message via AIM to caldercup0
I like the third jerseys, but you can't compete with the home and away designs.

caldercup0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 02:59 PM
NJDevs430

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
I love the Rangers slanted jerseys. Uniforms don't have to be fancy, and have all the stupid bells and whistles, ours is nice, isn't too busy...
I love our third jerseys, but I love them the way they are, as 3rd jerseys. The slanted Rangers jersey is classy, and it should stay.
I agree...why make changes just for change's sake?
}:-)>

NJDevs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 02:59 PM
eco's bones

There's nothing wrong with our jerseys. No reason for new ones.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 03:00 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

reading that article is time wasted that i will never get back.

PLICK

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 03:01 PM
kickice

Send a message via MSN to kickice
I love the Rangers jersey because of the simplicity.

It's just stylish!

No messing about, no need for constant updates to keep with the trends - because it's timeless.

And the Liberty is a great logo for a 3rd jersey. Whereas some other 3rd jerseys try to be too fancy, the Liberty is a sharp logo - good and clear with sharp edges and design.

kickice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Greg in MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Whoever wrote that review is a moron.

A downright moron.

And probably got into hockey in the last 3 or 4 years or so.

Christ almighty.

I was gonna say, who the **** wrote that article? Minnestoa, Anaheim and Nashville with the best logo designs? EXCUSE ME!?

It's a SQUARE ******* NECK for crying out loud!

And, he's hating on the old Jets and Nordiques jerseys?

Greg in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 03:31 PM
bigblue21

I think we all agree here. Leave the jerseys the way they are, they are classics. Anyways, the Rangers organization would never dream of replacing the originals.

bigblue21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 03:46 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
I love how he has some mysterious standard he's judging these against, like my art history teacher. These aren't Van Goghs and Rembrandts, they're fricking sport team logos for christs sake!!! So what if their outlines are too thick in one area and a panther has a dot of red on his tail?!?!?! I mean cmon now. Post this on an interior designers board, or go watch the E! channel. I can't believe I took time away from work to read that. This guy should pay me for that.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 04:20 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan View Post
This is clearly written by a design professional, rather than a hockey fan. Such individuals always advocate "new" as "better." Timeless classics = no new engagements for him!
HEy im a graphic designer, and even i know the value of classic forms, less is more and minimalism . Theres nothing wrong with that jersey!

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 04:39 PM
MrAlfie

first of all .. i have to agree.. this guy is a moron.
second, its called tradition, we live in fast times and its nice to see some tradition.
i grew up with the rangers badge and i hope its still going to be the same the day i die. but hey, nothing wrong with secondary logos and third jerseys for a change, but the main logo should definitly stay the way it is.

ok now and third..
what the hell? was this supposed to be funny?

Quote:
And you can't go wrong with red, black and white color scheme (just ask the Nazis!).
i hope this guy is reading this messageboard.. hey you.. yes you.. the guy who wrote that crap article.. youre a ****ing *******.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Pizza

Leave the logo, uniforms and colors alone. They are classics and require no updating.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 07-06-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 04:55 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Whoever wrote that review is a moron.

A downright moron.

And probably got into hockey in the last 3 or 4 years or so.

Christ almighty.
i dont need to go into a cursing tirade, i can just clap at this post. dumbest moronic thread and story ever written in a million years. if they change their logo and jerseys, im not a fan anymore.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:30 PM
shoothepuck

That article was written by a moron. Stay with the jerseys they have, if anything deep-six the laces as no one ties them up anyway.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:33 PM
charliemurphy

Get rid of the 3rd jersey.
I purchased a Ranger practice jersey a couple of years ago that was red with the Rangers running diagonally in white/blue across the chest like their 1st/2nd jersey's.
I kind of liked the look of it and wouldn't mind seeing them used as their 3rd jersey.
The 3rd jersey/liberty theme is kind of weak.
Kind of makes you think whether or not they came up with it because most of the league were coming out with alternate/3rd jerseys.
Stick with the home/away jerseys.

charliemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:21 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Agree totally..but maybe it's my age showing through (I also like the Leafs, Habs, Blackhawks and Wings originals)..I too love the White jersey....Have no use whatsoever for the Liberty jersey though..
I don't think it's shows your age, I'm reletively young (21) and i also find myself drawn to the older, classic designs. Hockey sweaters, and jerseys in general, are best when they are simple. The flashier you get the more the jersey becomes a distraction.

You also have to consider that you can't judge a jersey in a vacume. When a sweaters been around for 70 years it embodies the history of the frachise. Throw away the orgional composition and you detatch yourself from that history.

Of course my aestetic taste in general have always skewed towards simplicity and minimalism.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:22 PM
IanB

I really like the white "Liberty" jersey. Its the only one I dont own. Its too bad I cant find one.

But I agree, dont change the Ranger uniforms. The best jerseys of all time:

1. Red Wings
2. Rangers
3. Maple Leafs
4. Stars
5. Oilers (the bronze is definitely better than the original orange)

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:23 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
That article was written by a moron. Stay with the jerseys they have, if anything deep-six the laces as no one ties them up anyway.
No, it just wasn't written by a hockey fan. He was looking at the design compositions of the Sweaters/Logos in a vacume without taking into acount they're historical signifigance or the fact that slightly differant rules are needed to judge sports uniforms (flashy just doesn't work under any circumstances, imo.)

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:29 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I love all the jerseys... if they change any of them I'll be one ticked off Ranger fan.

And the best expansion team logo is the Minnesota Wild... lots of little details. Very nice work. The uniforms are also top notch.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:30 PM
dank

i dont like the liberty logo/jersey the way it looks now, but would not mind some other derivation of it. like the white and red license plates we (NYers) used to have.. the huge pointy crown, esp on the dark blue creeps me out..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:55 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I don't think it's shows your age, I'm reletively young (21) and i also find myself drawn to the older, classic designs. Hockey sweaters, and jerseys in general, are best when they are simple. The flashier you get the more the jersey becomes a distraction.

You also have to consider that you can't judge a jersey in a vacume. When a sweaters been around for 70 years it embodies the history of the frachise. Throw away the orgional composition and you detatch yourself from that history.

Of course my aestetic taste in general have always skewed towards simplicity and minimalism.
Yeah nice post i feel the same way. It definetly has a lot to do with what background youre from. As New Yorkers (most of us) we're more traditional when it comes to sports, given the long history of the teams here. The way we are raised in NY (and boston, detroit, chicago etc) is to respect the likes of the Mantles, DiMaggios, Giacamons, Ratelles and the century long history of the teams in those areas. There's nothing wrong with different taste, but I think the mickey mouse type designs and accpetability of those year 2020 logos comes from living in areas not so rich in sports history.
I hope the Rangers, Wings, Hawks, Leafs etc ownership and marketing people realize that more people would despise changes towards 21st century designs, rather than accept them and buy the merchandise. I'm not suprised the liberty logo has pretty much failed in New York.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:58 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
86 the laces and that's all the update I need.
Can't say I know exactly what the 86's jerseys looked like but I agree with laces. They make hockey jerseys look much much better.

KRM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:00 PM
jcrangerno1

What more needs to be said..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBadGuy7 View Post
http://www.justwide.com/14

http://www.epinions.com/content_1545707652

The #2 Worst Jersey goes to the New York Rangers (sorry roynyr). The reason I have included the Rangers is that they are still using the boring jerseys that have "RANGERS" spelled down the front of them, when they have the beautiful alternate jerseys with the Statue of Liberty logo on them. The "Lady Liberty" jerseys are so much more attractive, so I donít understand why they donít burn the old ones!

The Rangers apparently got their name from Garden president G.L. "Tex" Rickard and sportswriters terming the team "Tex's Rangers". That gives some amount of legitimacy to their badge-like logo. Unfortunately, they didn't jump on using the Rangers starred badge, and now baseball's Texas Rangers have it. So the logo designer is left with the challenge of creating a new Rangers-ish logo without stepping on Texan's toes. Given that, it's an adequate job.

From a design standpoint, the logo is easily recognizable and fairly easy to read at varying sizes. It's hard to criticize. Ultimately, though, it's also hard to praise. Nothing stands out as inventive or creative. Hence, the middle of the pack finish.

Advice: The Rangers' secondary logo is great, making use of iconic statue while possibly alluding to the pointed star of the Texas badge. Adopt it as your primary logo.

This isn't I heard that the Rangers jersey and logo are bland and need to be updated and the original rangers look has run its course. Should the Rangers adpot the liberty jersey as its primary logo along with blue and white verisons of the logo and the classic blue "RANGERS" slanted jersey be the 3rd Jersey?

P.S:Here's how the White Liberty Jersey looks:http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/...s/b50xtb7u.jpg
With an Avatar like this Stick to the WWE and leave the real sports to the rest of us!

jcrangerno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:00 PM
NYR2

If it's not broke don't freaking fix it. Leave the jersey alone, no need for changes. Except like what Melrose said, if you want to get rid of the laces.

I like the 3rd jersey but I don't love it. And it bugs me that it's on so much apparel.

NYR2 is offline   Reply With Quote