HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Bylsma/coaching staff discussion thread II

View Poll Results: So can Bylsma still lead them to the promised land?
Sure why not, Bylsma’s system is fine. The team will win another cup with him 40 33.33%
Nah, Bylsma has a better chance of winning dancing with the stars than another cup 80 66.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Bylsma/coaching staff discussion thread II

Simple question.

Will the Pens win another cup with Bylsma as head coach. I ask remembering full well that several years ago the Pens reached the finals twice and won the cup once.

The Devils are a perfect example of playoff hockey and the question I believe is relevant as Bylsma's team seems like it is rainman faced with a rubik's cube when it comes to teams that play that kind of game. And whether Bylsma can lead them to a cup matters as we enter Malkin and Crosby's prime years.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

You forgot the: He might win another one... if he'd just adapt to the way other coaches are game-planning his system... be a little more flexible and unpredictable.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
You forgot the: He might win another one... if he'd just adapt to the way other coaches are game-planning his system... be a little more flexible and unpredictable.
I could also add that I might have dates with a different victoria secret model every day of the week if I looked like Brad Pitt and had the wealth of Bill Gates.

Sadly, I am not, and Bylsma can not. If he could what the **** has he been doing the past three years?

Old
02-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I could also add that I might have dates with a different victoria secret model every day of the week if I looked like Brad Pitt and had the wealth of Bill Gates.

Sadly, I am not, and Bylsma can not. If he could what the **** has he been doing the past three years?
Being stubborn and too big a believer in his own system? I don't know. He's young, I'd like to think he's capable of change. I'd hoped to see it this year but the lockout and no camp killed any chance to implement a new system. I guess I'd sum it up as "he can but probably won't."

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:08 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

He's so dependant on his system, I seriously can't tell.

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:10 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
not sure

watching film, I guess.

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:15 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Being stubborn and too big a believer in his own system? I don't know. He's young, I'd like to think he's capable of change. I'd hoped to see it this year but the lockout and no camp killed any chance to implement a new system. I guess I'd sum it up as "he can but probably won't."
There were a couple of games where there were some adjustments ... shorter passes, better support for the puck carrier ... didn't last long though ... and the changes came on the heels of open speculation in the media if he'd be the first coach fired. Like that co-worker who only does well when the boss is watching or after being told to toe the line or walk it. My impression at this point is that there's not going to be any sort of change unless it's forced on him, and then it will only be temporary.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:25 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Maybe???

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
never knew his middle name was Brian. ha.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:31 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Well, Jaded may have well added 'when ice follies come to the netherworld', because both are as likely.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:59 PM
cheesedanish87

I voted no but i would of voted no for most coaches. Its so hard to win a cup u gotta have alot of luck on your side

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:07 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
I voted no but i would of voted no for most coaches. Its so hard to win a cup u gotta have alot of luck on your side
And skill, but I digress . . .

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:14 PM
WarriorScholar

Pens replaced therrien - won cup
Kings replaced Murray - won cup
Ravens replaced OC Cam Cameron - won Super Bowl
Pens replace byslma - win cup?

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

I dont know. It seems like he has extreme faith in his system no matter what happens. Kind of a stay the course regardless of results kind of guy. I don't like it and I feel that its not going to help us in the playoffs. I think with the star talent we have on this team, theres gotta be a better way to play to their strengths. But im not a coach and never played hockey, so I don't really know.

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:31 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I'll say we have two of the best players in the world...so yes. It's possible we see him win another Cup, but it has to be the right set of opponents. I think a great coach can win you a series by outcoaching another. It won't ever win you a Cup without talent and the team buying into the team play.

So... yes. I could see one more. If Tippett were here.. I could see 2 more. But we are using a hypothetical situation where one of the best coaches comes to our team. That's not a knock on DB.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:38 PM
SEALBound

Here;s the thing, good coaches are able to see what players they have and how they play then they design a system that plays to the players advantages and minimizes disadvantages.

In games, when something is not working, they make adjustments that help the players play better.

Bylsma can not do this yet.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Jaded-Fan

As the started of this thread let me say one thing.

Bylsma has a system that obvious works most of the time. He has had 100 point plus seasons the past few years with it, so it gets you wins. But the problem is that there are some systems that it does NOT work against and he seems incapable of adjusting to those. The real scary part is that the systems that work against Bylsma's are the systems we are most likely to see in the playoffs where teams play a more defensive system generally and you do not see wideopen play that Bylsma feeds on.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:52 PM
zero8771

He won't win because he won't finish this season.

He wasn't the pens top choice to replace Therrien and I knowing that I am surprised he has lasted this long. This is his last chance, I love him as a motivator but he cant coach his way out of a paper bag. It was no coincidence that the year we lost to Montreals trap we lost to the Devils 8 times. He can't coach vs a trap. Its quite sad

zero8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

It depends. I'm not convinced Shero has given him enough depth up front for him to win with.

If you shut Malkin and Crosby down, you shut down the offense of this team. Malkin drives Neal's scoring. The PP is the only thing scoring right now.

If Shero can get another winger that is productive in the top 6 (doesn't even have to be a big name) then I believe we can compete for the cup. Kunitz needs to move back to the Malkin-Neal line.

This team is missing some major supplemental scoring from guys other than Malkin, Crosby, Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, and Letang. Cooke and Kennedy haven't done jack this year. Kennedy scoring 2 points in 13 games is a major disappointment. The entire 4th line hasn't done anything.

This team is missing some heart and soul guys like Talbot also.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:36 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
There should be a third option to the effect of "I'll wait and see how Bylsma's "system" performs when Shero goes out and brings in wingers with some talent". So as much as some of what Bylsma does annoys me, I'm not going to condemn him when I know there is a huge hole in the line-up up front.

If Shero goes out and acquires, for example, Iginla and Kulemin, and Bylsma's team still looks like it does these past couple of games (and during that mini-slump at the beginning of the year), then I'll be the first to crucify him. But until then, I'm more concerned about the lack of talent surrounding Crosby and Malkin.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:10 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
There should be a third option to the effect of "I'll wait and see how Bylsma's "system" performs when Shero goes out and brings in wingers with some talent". So as much as some of what Bylsma does annoys me, I'm not going to condemn him when I know there is a huge hole in the line-up up front.

If Shero goes out and acquires, for example, Iginla and Kulemin, and Bylsma's team still looks like it does these past couple of games (and during that mini-slump at the beginning of the year), then I'll be the first to crucify him. But until then, I'm more concerned about the lack of talent surrounding Crosby and Malkin.
well, shouldn't the coach adapt his "system" to the material he's working with?

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:22 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
well, shouldn't the coach adapt his "system" to the material he's working with?
Maybe. Possibly. There are things that I think Bylsma could tweak (enough with the non-stop stretch passes, for instance). But the thread is asking about winning the Cup again, and ultimately I don't think the current roster is good enough to win, regardless of who is coaching. I simply envision this team struggling to score enough goals in the playoffs when Sid and Geno are relied upon as the only sources of creating offense.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:23 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

I believe they'll get to their game some day, or year, or century. So, yeah?

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:47 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Maybe. Possibly. There are things that I think Bylsma could tweak (enough with the non-stop stretch passes, for instance). But the thread is asking about winning the Cup again, and ultimately I don't think the current roster is good enough to win, regardless of who is coaching. I simply envision this team struggling to score enough goals in the playoffs when Sid and Geno are relied upon as the only sources of creating offense.
I believe this team looks better on paper than the one that won the SC. I mean defensively it's debatable probably, but the forwards do look better from a wingers point of view.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:26 AM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

This roster can win a Cup, it just needs its head in the right space. Who knows if Bylsma can get them there.

Cardboard Orpik is online now   Reply With Quote