HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 2-1 ... again

Old
02-10-2013, 04:54 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
They also retooled twice during that time span, and Edmonton has had one playoff appearance in the last 9 seasons going on 10 this year if we dont make it. So I'm really not sure what you were trying to get at.
That their "rebuild" took much longer than three years.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
RNH is twice the player this year that he was last year. He's much stronger, hard on the puck and much more defensively aware in his own end. He's already made some incredible defensive plays this year which you'd never think about when talking about RNH. Last year he played sheltered minutes and no one really had a book on the guy. He came exploding out of the gate from the 2nd line, and really had no expectations other than to score. Completely different role this year. Still has to score, but now needs to do all those things that a veteran 1st line centre is expected to do. Play both ends of the ice, and a responsible game. He now has to deal with the Zetterbergs and Thortons of the world on a regular basis and has had immense pressure placed on him as a 19 year old. Every team out there is now fully aware of him and keys and game plans around him and his line on a nightly basis. Eventually, he will grow into this role and be very proficient at it. His scoring will come back and he'll be fine. This is new territory for him, and these things take time. I don't have a stop watch as to when it all comes in place, but it will. Unfortunately, you get some overzealous scribes/fans expecting a huge increase in points based on last years performance when they don't consider so many other pertinent factors. No wonder the incredible disappointment and crazy solutions and reasons being concocted.We all need to take a deep breath and enjoy/watch his development, no matter how slow and painful it may be from time to time. It will be well worth it when it happens.

Last edited by Stoneman89: 02-10-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Khabi is a better goalie than Dubnyk.

Yup, cause his stats and record the last few years really bear that out, don't they?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:11 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
We're close (a lot closer than we'd like to believe) to having to make a tough decision with RNH. 21 games between goals is too bloody long for a top line player especially a top line centre. Either he needs surgery to fix his obviously damaged shoulder or he needs some AHL conditioning to fix his shattered offensive confidence.
Say what?

Old
02-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Kay. Just sit silently and blissfully wait and see exactly how long this goalless slump goes.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
We're close (a lot closer than we'd like to believe) to having to make a tough decision with RNH. 21 games between goals is too bloody long for a top line player especially a top line centre. Either he needs surgery to fix his obviously damaged shoulder or he needs some AHL conditioning to fix his shattered offensive confidence.
A tough decision? He is the guy, as one poster has already mentioned this team will go as RNH goes. If we revert back to Gags and Horc running the show then we should prepare ourselves for whether we take mckinnon or jones this offseason.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
IATL that 5 year rebuild was for us to be legit contenders for the Stanley cup. This year we should be pushing for a playoff spot at minimum. We should have more then 1 regulation win in 11 games! How much more leniency does this management regime get?
I would say it's more like 5 years to make the playoffs again. If Lowe and Co. are saying otherwise then they're making promises they won't be able to fulfill.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:26 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Kay. Just sit silently and blissfully wait and see exactly how long this goalless slump goes.
No, by all means, send him back to OKC. Why stop there though? Send Hall and Eberle down too.

Old
02-10-2013, 05:37 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
So you want to send him to the AHL because he hasn't scored goals and roll with Gagner and Belanger as the top 2 centers? One of the more ridiculous things that i've read on HF.
I agree that his offensive confidence is at an all time low but he is contributing in other areas. He has been very good defensively. His offense will come around, he's just hitting a rough patch which many young players do, he'll be fine. He's the least of my worries with this team.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Joe Hallenback

RNH plays more minutes because he plays the first PP unit. You can look around the league and see that every player that plays the first PP(oddly enough its the top players go figure that one)has extended shifts. This means that almost every PP they play 1 to 1 and half minutes.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
RNH plays more minutes because he plays the first PP unit. You can look around the league and see that every player that plays the first PP(oddly enough its the top players go figure that one)has extended shifts. This means that almost every PP they play 1 to 1 and half minutes.
Few teams have a second PP unit that has been better than the first. Many teams have one bonafide PP unit and a patchwork quilt for the second unit.

We have no shortage of talent on this club to put on a PP. Not really the problem on this club. But then again we have so many players we could insert into the PP that RNH could be given a brief rest from that duty to view it and perhaps note what he's not doing with the minutes he's granted.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:44 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Who knew that one line is considered first line when they've scored 5 goals and the second line has scored 12?

This is a line 1A, and 1B team and time to start approaching it that way. Especially as the topline was struggling.

I guess it makes sense to you that the player with the least impact on the PP, and the least pts on the PP, was getting the most PP minutes.
So the 2nd line has done better facing easier competition, that's great, however they are still a - line and the 2nd line. All that this means is that they are doing their job of putting the puck in the net but not on the other side of the puck. It does not make them the 1st line no matter how much you wish that it would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Woah Woah, when did i ever crap on any specific players? When did i crap on one of the kids?
I have been calling out THE TEAM for subpar play, not any specific players. The entire team needs to be better and yes, they deserve to be called out for poor performances. The only players who have been consistently good is Justin Schultz and Dubnyk.

The rest of the team including the young players AND the veterans needs to be better if the team is to even have a sniff of the playoffs. I see nothing wrong with calling out the team for being poor which they have been more times than not. After many years of poor play, i expect this team to show real, live improvement and i don't see it.
I don't know how anyone could say this, the offensive results aren't there but there are improvements on this team if people are willing to put their emotions aside and look at them. Gagner, Hemsky, and Belanger are all doing better, as is Paajarvi and Harski. RNH looks very solid defensively, Dubnyk looks good so far, there are positives.

Quote:
He should've had one against LA, it won't be the last time that he has a goaless drought this long. Last season means Jack at this point, it's all about this season. My $ is on him scoring in the next 5 games unless he gets hurt, 2 week avatar bet, you down?

Quote:
Few teams have a second PP unit that has been better than the first. Many teams have one bonafide PP unit and a patchwork quilt for the second unit.

We have no shortage of talent on this club to put on a PP. Not really the problem on this club. But then again we have so many players we could insert into the PP that RNH could be given a brief rest from that duty to view it and perhaps note what he's not doing with the minutes he's granted.
Gagner's hot start doesn't make that unit the defacto #1 unit no matter how bad you want it to be Replacement. All that this does is give us hope that if the top unit can't score that the 2nd might. That's something that most teams don't have so we should all be happy about that IMO.

02-11-2013, 01:48 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He should've had one against LA, it won't be the last time that he has a goaless drought this long. Last season means Jack at this point, it's all about this season. My $ is on him scoring in the next 5 games unless he gets hurt, 2 week avatar bet, you down?
I guess... but it's not like I'm cheering against him. I want him to get out of this slump asap.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:56 AM
SDig14

It happens to playmakers at times, and he's very young which doesn't help that's for sure. I'm sure his confidence is down a bit and he's gripping it tight, but he's getting the chances and they'll will come.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:09 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
I guess... but it's not like I'm cheering against him. I want him to get out of this slump asap.
So it's a bet? We're all cheering for him to end that slump, my point is that it will likely end soon.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:21 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
So it's a bet? We're all cheering for him to end that slump, my point is that it will likely end soon.
K. I'm bad at coming up with ideas for avatars so you'll have to bear with me.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:48 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
So the 2nd line has done better facing easier competition, that's great, however they are still a - line and the 2nd line. All that this means is that they are doing their job of putting the puck in the net but not on the other side of the puck. It does not make them the 1st line no matter how much you wish that it would.
Blatant nonsense. you know that the first line had been paired with The top D pair, the Schultzes, and Gagner line has got Whitney and guys like Potter. WTF do you think is factoring into the +/-. Nice to see Gagner line getting some J Schultz love tonight. Hope to see that unit more often.

Quote:
Gagner's hot start doesn't make that unit the defacto #1 unit no matter how bad you want it to be Replacement. All that this does is give us hope that if the top unit can't score that the 2nd might. That's something that most teams don't have so we should all be happy about that IMO.
Sure we should. I'd like it if both lines are producing. One line is producing.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:59 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Blatant nonsense. you know that the first line had been paired with The top D pair, the Schultzes, and Gagner line has got Whitney and guys like Potter. WTF do you think is factoring into the +/-. Nice to see Gagner line getting some J Schultz love tonight. Hope to see that unit more often.

Sure we should. I'd like it if both lines are producing. One line is producing.
So you shat on N. Schultz but now refer to him as 1/2 of the top pairing? And if Gagner played a lot with them tonight (I missed the 2nd and 3rd periods) then why did Justin have 0 shots for the first time in his NHL career and only the 3rd time in his pro career and he was a -1? I thought that he was being "wasted with RNH"? What's the deal?

As for one line producing, sometimes that's how it goes, one line is hot and another is not, it doesn't mean that you make drastic changes and as a matter of fact not all that long ago Ralph rewarded the 2nd unit with a PP start maybe 2-3 games or maybe 4 ago and they sucked against the top PK unit. When the top unit gets going again and the 2nd slows down we'll see what your thoughts are.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:21 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
So you shat on N. Schultz but now refer to him as 1/2 of the top pairing? And if Gagner played a lot with them tonight (I missed the 2nd and 3rd periods) then why did Justin have 0 shots for the first time in his NHL career and only the 3rd time in his pro career and he was a -1? I thought that he was being "wasted with RNH"? What's the deal?
I only refer to it as the top pairing because J Schultz is on it. Which should be abundantly clear from my posts.

Being as you didn't watch the game I guess you don't know that J schultz was passing off on the passes back to the point today. Being that Columbus always had a man high and had the shot covered. Nice to watch the games before making random conclusions.

Quote:
As for one line producing, sometimes that's how it goes, one line is hot and another is not, it doesn't mean that you make drastic changes and as a matter of fact not all that long ago Ralph rewarded the 2nd unit with a PP start maybe 2-3 games or maybe 4 ago and they sucked against the top PK unit. When the top unit gets going again and the 2nd slows down we'll see what your thoughts are.
You're telling me about not making drastic changes when you would have punted Gagner from this team long ago. I'm the one saying DON'T make personnel changes. DON'T change up the lines. The kids need to learn to rise above it. Just like Gagner, Cogs, Nillson had to. Without any help I should add and with not being elite #1 picks.

Elite player picks SHOULD be better. Pretty consistently better.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:10 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
I only refer to it as the top pairing because J Schultz is on it. Which should be abundantly clear from my posts.

Being as you didn't watch the game I guess you don't know that J schultz was passing off on the passes back to the point today. Being that Columbus always had a man high and had the shot covered. Nice to watch the games before making random conclusions.
Pretty damn amazing how J. Schultz has come in and grabbed the #1D position on the team by the throat IMO. Fair enough since I only watched the 1st.

Quote:
You're telling me about not making drastic changes when you would have punted Gagner from this team long ago. I'm the one saying DON'T make personnel changes. DON'T change up the lines. The kids need to learn to rise above it. Just like Gagner, Cogs, Nillson had to. Without any help I should add and with not being elite #1 picks.

Elite player picks SHOULD be better. Pretty consistently better.
Personally I'm fine with leaving the Hall-RNH-Eberle line together, that said I'm not the coach.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:13 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
If this team ***** the bed for the next ten games, shut it down and send the kid out for surgery. We need him ready to go for next October/November.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:19 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If this team ***** the bed for the next ten games, shut it down and send the kid out for surgery. We need him ready to go for next October/November.
If whatever is ailing him can actually be fixed by surgery. There are plenty of "pains" that surgery cannot fix.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:10 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
K. I'm bad at coming up with ideas for avatars so you'll have to bear with me.
Took me awhile to dig this up, I'll start to think about which avatar you'll get to sport for a couple of weeks.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:15 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

And I think we have a winner......

Old
02-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Now my posts will be super annoying (opposed to just annoying).