HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Anyone see a little bit of Doug Gilmour in Kadri?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2013, 09:01 PM
  #76
Mystifo
Malkin To Kulemin.
 
Mystifo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: YYT
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,363
vCash: 500
If Kadri was to become a defensive juggernaut then I could see him being like Killer but I think he is more like Ribs than Gilmour.

Mystifo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:20 PM
  #77
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER
 
cup67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TORONTO
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,108
vCash: 500
killer kadri, give him #93, he will make gilmour and the leafs proud

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:02 PM
  #78
TheTotalPackage
Registered User
 
TheTotalPackage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
I have never seen Gilmour in Kadri. I don't think Kadri's game could translate into what Dougie provided in every facet.

If there is a recent ex-Leaf who he reminds of, it's Mogilny. Absolute wizards with the puck.

TheTotalPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:06 PM
  #79
Erdinger
Registered User
 
Erdinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
killer kadri, give him #93, he will make gilmour and the leafs proud
Why not let him be #43? Give him #93. No pressure there.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:08 PM
  #80
Erdinger
Registered User
 
Erdinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTotalPackage View Post
I have never seen Gilmour in Kadri. I don't think Kadri's game could translate into what Dougie provided in every facet.

If there is a recent ex-Leaf who he reminds of, it's Mogilny. Absolute wizards with the puck.
Kadri's good but this is really getting ridiculous. Mogilny? I'd say Kessel is closer to Mogilny than Kadri.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:09 PM
  #81
Bomber0104
Boom
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Iraq
Posts: 6,995
vCash: 500
No, I do not

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:15 PM
  #82
TheTotalPackage
Registered User
 
TheTotalPackage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Kadri's good but this is really getting ridiculous. Mogilny? I'd say Kessel is closer to Mogilny than Kadri.
I simply singled out his stick handling in comparison to Mogilny.

TheTotalPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:32 PM
  #83
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,475
vCash: 500
I see some of Gilmour in him. HOwever he needs to get 500% nastier to be the 2nd coming of KILLER.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:36 PM
  #84
Erdinger
Registered User
 
Erdinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
I see some of Gilmour in him. HOwever he needs to get 500% nastier to be the 2nd coming of KILLER.
I basically said the same thing earlier in the thread and apparently I don't know how nasty Nazem is. Well I sat in rail seats a few times in the Gardens in 1993 and saw what a psycho Gilmour was like in the corners. Kadri isn't there yet. Not knocking Kadri but the comparison isn't fair to him.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:42 PM
  #85
Lebanese Leaf
Registered User
 
Lebanese Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 6,169
vCash: 500
This the problem with HFboards. Not just in this thread, but in any prospect discussion where a player style is brought up as a comparable, everyone is quick to react with "LOLZZZ NO! Plays like Lidstrom, GTFO here, he's still 18 years old!" or "Milan Lucic? YEa alright, let's see this guy score 30+ goals and be the most dominant PWF in the game!"

Folks, seeing a certain style of play in a player DOES NOT mean he is suddenly as good as that player, or that he will ever be that good. It just means that he plays a similar style, and that he reminds you of a that player because of his style. I play competitive soccer, but at no where near a professional level. However when asked what type of style I'll play, I'll mention Carles Puyol or Vidic. That does not mean that I am as good or ever will be anywhere near that level of play, it just means I play that style of tough central defense.

So in that sense, yes I do see a bit of Gilmour in Kadri. I doubt he ever reaches Dougie's offensive numbers or Selke level defense, but his rare mix of skill, heart and toughness does remind me of Dougie. The most confident he gets in the NHL, the more you guys will begin to see this as well.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:45 PM
  #86
Sundinisagod
Ehlers or Ritchie...
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Ahahahaha

Guy on the smallish side for the NHL throws a hit once in a while and now he is Doug Gilmour.

I admit it Kadri has impressed me some this year and I hope he can keep it up and be a legitimate first or second line center because previously I was really having my doubts about that.. but come on guys.
What part of "Anyone see a little bit of Doug Gilmour" did you not understand?

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:46 PM
  #87
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,066
vCash: 500
A little bit, yea.

Just don't trade Naz no matter what.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:59 PM
  #88
Cor
I'm Not Drunk
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Not Hurt's Basement
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,119
vCash: 50
I have noticed this a bit as well.

Sick hands, great vision, can put the puck in the net, decent speed and plays with an edge.

There are some small similarities.

The thing with Dougie (and Clark as well) is that he meant so much to the city, and had such a passion for this team, and this organization, that no one will ever be Killer #2, or Clark #2. We will much sooner see a Sundin #2, or a Sittler #2, then a Killer or a Clark.

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:50 AM
  #89
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 30,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
I have noticed this a bit as well.

Sick hands, great vision, can put the puck in the net, decent speed and plays with an edge.

There are some small similarities.

The thing with Dougie (and Clark as well) is that he meant so much to the city, and had such a passion for this team, and this organization, that no one will ever be Killer #2, or Clark #2. We will much sooner see a Sundin #2, or a Sittler #2, then a Killer or a Clark.
Well that's a good thing. In a lot of ways, having a new Sundin or Sittler is better long term than Gilmour, who was a bit of a shooting star in his peak, or Clark. As blasphemous as it sounds, Clark wasn't exactly your ideal first overall if your goal was to build a winner...

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:27 AM
  #90
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
I basically said the same thing earlier in the thread and apparently I don't know how nasty Nazem is. Well I sat in rail seats a few times in the Gardens in 1993 and saw what a psycho Gilmour was like in the corners. Kadri isn't there yet. Not knocking Kadri but the comparison isn't fair to him.
Gilmour was 5'9" if you stretched him and maybe 170lbs when wet.

BUt he was a pitbull. The competetive drive in him was up there with the greats of all time.

But Nazim does have the dangles. Outside of Mogilny I haven't seen hands like his since Gilmour. Not even Kessel has the dipsy doo stick handling of kadri or since he is the topic, gilmour.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:35 AM
  #91
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Well that's a good thing. In a lot of ways, having a new Sundin or Sittler is better long term than Gilmour, who was a bit of a shooting star in his peak, or Clark. As blasphemous as it sounds, Clark wasn't exactly your ideal first overall if your goal was to build a winner...
His peak was the best all round hockey player in the game.

Sorry it wasn't long enough for you. I sure enjoyed it. And if you look at his carreer he was far from a shooting star. Totally false statement.

Clark was my fave player but when Mario Lemieux gets drafted the year before you ya there is a kind of let down. Clark was still a damn good 1st overall pick.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:33 AM
  #92
MoeMoney
Registered User
 
MoeMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzak View Post
It doesn't matter what age though. This is what we call textbook overhyping. You don't just slap on a label even if you didn't intend to say that he'll be just as good. Perhaps it's just me, but you can't just compare a rookie to a HHOFer unless they reach a close enough level of production. It's just too ridiculous.
The guy asked "Anyone see a little bit of Doug Gilmour in Kadri?", the answer is yes somewhate. It is too early to tell, but I don't think this will seem as ridiculous after a few more years of seeing Kadri play.


Last edited by MoeMoney: 02-11-2013 at 04:53 AM.
MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:17 AM
  #93
Sypher04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
When did Dougie ever show up for a season fat and out of shape? Just kidding of course, having some fun. It's pretty high praise to say there's a bit of Dougie in Kadri, but probably wishful thinking. Gilmour played all out, all the time and had the heart of a champion. Kadri? Not yet anyway. After his fast start he's really cooled off and looking more like the Kadri of old, 8 good games doesn't cut it when you're comparing him to a Leaf legend.
Sure, production wise, he's cooled off a bit, but he's still creating just as much as he was before. He's still hitting with purpose, and the first man back on the backcheck.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:21 AM
  #94
Sypher04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I never saw Gilmour as a diver myself, and as decent as Kadri has been this year it is a pretty big part of his game. He's drawn some penalties but if the refs start to get wise it will make it tougher for him in the future.
You are out to lunch.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:32 AM
  #95
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham and Lawrence
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
He is talking about slight playing style, not the skill-level, ability to play great in all 3 zones, and productivity of Gilmour. Come on people.

Seriously though, the OP precisely said a little bit like Gilmour which in my opinion isn't out context.

No need to exaggerated. *sigh*

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:46 AM
  #96
Sundinisagod
Ehlers or Ritchie...
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
He is talking about slight playing style, not the skill-level, ability to play great in all 3 zones, and productivity of Gilmour. Come on people.

Seriously though, the OP precisely said a little bit like Gilmour which in my opinion isn't out context.

No need to exaggerated. *sigh*
HF should make members pass some sort of reading comprehension test. It's all over the place, ie if you say on the trade boards the Leafs aren't gonna trade Gardiner unless it's in a package towards a #1 center you'll get 50 people jump on you sayin "Gardiner won't fetch you a 1st line center" and they'll usually add some snarky remark to further prove their brilliance.

EDIT: when will your avatar bet be done it's killin me to look at?

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:47 AM
  #97
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 30,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
His peak was the best all round hockey player in the game.

Sorry it wasn't long enough for you. I sure enjoyed it. And if you look at his carreer he was far from a shooting star. Totally false statement.

Clark was my fave player but when Mario Lemieux gets drafted the year before you ya there is a kind of let down. Clark was still a damn good 1st overall pick.
I said his peak was brief. We went from two conference finals to a pretty quick decline when his body broke down after 2 and a half years of excellent hockey.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:03 AM
  #98
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham and Lawrence
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
HF should make members pass some sort of reading comprehension test. It's all over the place, ie if you say on the trade boards the Leafs aren't gonna trade Gardiner unless it's in a package towards a #1 center you'll get 50 people jump on you sayin "Gardiner won't fetch you a 1st line center" and they'll usually add some snarky remark to further prove their brilliance.

EDIT: when will your avatar bet be done it's killin me to look at?
Unfortunately not until the upcoming December.

Until then I am gonna have to endure it.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:09 AM
  #99
nsleaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 889
vCash: 500
The "little bit" of similarity? They both play hockey and are both males.

nsleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.