HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Tanking/Rebuilding/Selling at Deadline Thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 01:04 PM
S Bah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
It's obviously not bad and you'll still find some great players but your odds of getting that superstar are getting worse which means your less likely to rebuild properly.

Getting the great players,that win SC's is increased by the # of low round picks the team has exponentially.Particularly when considering the amount of those that sustain injuries that ruin careers,ie concussion syndrome.

I think your fighting a straw man here. I never said you won't get star players if you sit at the bottom drafting high. We were discussing the makeup of LA's team, they had 1 top pick contributing. Getting that 1 guy who is not even your MVP is not a good enough reason to tank, or use that team as a tank success story.
The aim is to actually have a chance to draft players with a higher chance of making the NHL and then teaching and nurturing the player properly.Sorry half of my post is the 2nd paragraph in your post.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
You should put less stock into what random posters on the internet think. Besides we have 3 wingers who are 6'2 skate like the wind, can hit and can score over 25 goals a season.
Really? Wow. I guess we're in great shape then. I wonder why we came in 15th last year?
Quote:
Well if you sign UFAs and then trade them within a year because they played well then you will quickly find no one wants to play for you including your drafted players. Loyalty is a two way street if you treat your players as playing chips then they will treat you as an ATM.
I'm sure Cole wouldn't have minded being traded away from a 15th place team. Besides it would've been up to him to waive his NTC. It's his right to void any deals but we should've gone to him and asked and I doubt that happened.
Quote:
It's obviously not bad and you'll still find some great players but your odds of getting that superstar are getting worse which means your less likely to rebuild properly.

I think your fighting a straw man here. I never said you won't get star players if you sit at the bottom drafting high. We were discussing the makeup of LA's team, they had 1 top pick contributing. Getting that 1 guy who is not even your MVP is not a good enough reason to tank, or use that team as a tank success story.
And I'm telling you you're being silly. You keep trying to say tank for one pick or one particular player... it doesn't work that way.

You trade for picks and you trade for prospects. You play younger players and you'll probably draft high. SOME of those picks won't work out man. But some will. Just because say... Hickey doesn't work out doesn't mean that all those picks won't. They got Doughty and Kopitar out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
Bergevin said coming in that he wants to build through the draft. Hopefully, he understands that the goal is not just to make the playoffs (except that may be Molson's goal because they make a ton of money), but to build a team that wins the Cup.

I hope too that the prime years of Price, Subban and Patches aren't wasted. With Galchenyuk and Gallagher (and he's a player) already on the squad and Tinordi coming up the pipeline, we have a nice group of talented young players to build that up around. This draft year 2013 is HUGE!

If we suck this year, it isn't the worse thing that can happen. Still a long way to go though & we're still in the play-off picture. Our upcoming road trip will tell which way this team is going to go.
Good post.

Quote:
And after we trade vets for late 1sts, and still finish outside of a top-5 draft pick what then? How long do we sit in the lower half of the pack of not being bad enough to get superstars, and not being good enough to make the playoffs.
Those prospects are worth something aren't they? The picks will be worth something. And who the hell are you to say we won't get a top five when we drafted 3rd last season?

You keep trying to say that we should PLAN to draft top five... it doesn't work that way. The focus is on the prospects we get back man. Where we finish in the standings is besides the point.
Quote:
It's not what they did it's the composition of the team that won that matters. They both had 1 tank pick contributing.
So what? It worked.

Like I said, you can tank for four years and only get one superstar. But that one superstar still raises your cup odds significantly.
Quote:
If Pittsburgh drafts Kane and Toews instead of Crosby and Malkin they probably don't win the cup. If Boston's cup should be dismissed because it's too much of a long shot to sign a Chara as a UFA then shouldn't Pittsburgh's also be dismissed?
And if your dad had boobs he'd be your mom.

Dude, bottom line is that most cup teams are rebuilds. You keep coming up with coulda shoulda woulda... doesn't matter. What matters is that rebuilds win cups.
Quote:
DA claimed having 1-2 top picks is the best starting point to build a team. I'm pretty sure you also believe this. In which case you would pick the expansion team, no? I'm just trying to show how crazy it is to gut a good team in order to rebuild through the draft.
Your question is a silly one. We aren't the Coyotes and we're not an expansion team.

My philosophy is that if you don't have a realistic shot at a cup with your team as constructed for now or the immediate future that you do what you have to in order to win. Taking an expansion team from scratch is a tough road to go down but it's interesting that several expansion teams have won cups since our last cup win.

We've tried to avoid rebuilding and all we've done is make the process longer and more painful.

Quote:
So because it didn't hurt some of the best players to ever lace them up it won't hurt the Gallaghers, Beaulieu's and Tinordi's of the world
Dude, you made the statement and I showed you that you were wrong. It doesn't crush a player to start out young and play.

You do it on a case by case basis. If say Galchenyuk isn't ready then leave him in the AHL. It's that simple. Its not one rule for every player...
Quote:
If Burke didn't want to trade him for a rental, then he wasn't interested in dealing him for Souray which means Koivu is the center piece of your deal. With McDonald and Getzlaf already there I don't see where Koivu would fit long term. So why would you trade a great prospect for two guys who don't fit long term.
You're arguing for the sake of it man. I'm not wasting my time debating this. There's no way he turns that deal down.
Quote:
We'll probably never know what people we're offering for Souray but considering there wasn't exactly a bidding war for his services as a UFA maybe he wasn't as hot a commodity as you think he was.
And yet the very same season Craig Rivet nets us a first and Josh Gorges...

Stop asking me to convince you that water is wet.

Quote:
JVR is no where near the player people expected him to be and has already been traded because of it. Maybe he finally puts it together but maybe he'll end up like AK a 20g scorer who struggles with his consistency. There's always that risk when picking up picks/prospects even highly touted ones. Trading an established All-Star for that type of player is a huge risk. It seems your philosophy is who cares if he busts we will just end up sucking and get another crack at a top pick.
He's 22 years old and already has 7 goals on the season. I don't know about you but I think he'll probably get better as he gets older and in four years he'll be a better player than he is now.

Trading for the best young prospects you can is a good idea dude. It's a risk sure... but it's a calculated risk.

And since I proposed dealing for him years ago he's since had a concussion. That's something to be concerned about and would affect his value. But at the time he was a number 2 overall pick with size and scoring touch. YES it makes sense to try to get these kinds of players.

How is it that you don't understand this?
Quote:
If you trade him your betting he won't return to form because your not going to get the value of #1 D man in return.
I don't care if he returns to form. I'm looking at the next 5 to 10 years down the road. I'm looking at how I can win a cup sometime within the next decade and younger players give me a longer window of opportunity. I trade Markov and wish him the best. I'd have no problem if he wins a cup somewhere else as long as I get a player that can help me compete for one long after he's retired.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 02-10-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old
02-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
How many contenders have 5 million in cap space for next year when the cap goes down
You keep trying to come up with false objections. There are always ways around this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Lemieux fan 66 View Post
UFA players not resigned , trade at the draft or in the off season, buy-out or retirement are the many ways the contenders of this year could use to respect the cap.
Yup. We could take some salary back as well if the return is high enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
To me, this is partly why I felt it was stupid to lowball PK into a holdout. What did we gain from this ? A low cap hit for the next year and a half where we likely won't be competing for the cup anyway.

We lacked vision in the past with Gainey. Everything is now now now but we don't have the talent and the experience to win now.

Whatever, I guess we will see in 2 weeks where we stand. I just hope that if we're in between 8th and 12th we will start taking decisions for the long term a bit more than the short term.
And I think that's the biggest hurdle for some of our fanbase to understand. We probably aren't there yet. They don't get this though so the idea of dealing Markov freaks them out.

Let the team play. If we go back to winning and have a great year then maybe its a different story. But if we're struggling and fighting for 8th we should stop wasting our time and rebuild. We don't need to deal away every last vet but we could deal away some of these guys.

With Galchenyuk's emergence I'd probably be more inclined to hang onto Plecs now. But Markov we can deal, ditto with Cole and Bourque and Gionta...

Old
02-10-2013, 02:18 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
You keep trying to come up with false objections. There are always ways around this.

Yup. We could take some salary back as well if the return is high enough.

And I think that's the biggest hurdle for some of our fanbase to understand. We probably aren't there yet. They don't get this though so the idea of dealing Markov freaks them out.

Let the team play. If we go back to winning and have a great year then maybe its a different story. But if we're struggling and fighting for 8th we should stop wasting our time and rebuild. We don't need to deal away every last vet but we could deal away some of these guys.

With Galchenyuk's emergence I'd probably be more inclined to hang onto Plecs now. But Markov we can deal, ditto with Cole and Bourque and Gionta...
I'd love for someone to come with a team that did this, just one in the history of the NHL...

Old
02-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I'd love for someone to come with a team that did this, just one in the history of the NHL...
The New York Rangers unloaded tons of players the year they traded Kovalev to us. The Pittsburgh Penguin as well.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Ginu

If only Gainey didn't let those 10 UFAs leave for nothing. I wonder where we'd be right now.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:45 PM
SnapVirus

Jonathan Drouin - Alex Galchenyuk - Brendan Gallagher

Sounds like a good line nop?

Old
02-10-2013, 08:54 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
If only Gainey didn't let those 10 UFAs leave for nothing. I wonder where we'd be right now.
The great missed opportunity of 2009 is what made me believe in rebuilding.

Aside from all the extra picks, our useless trip to the playoffs meant that we drafted Louis Leblanc, rather than Evander Kane or Oliver Ekman-Larsson or Zack Kassian.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:01 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Jonathan Drouin - Alex Galchenyuk - Brendan Gallagher

Sounds like a good line nop?
No, it doesn't actually.

Gllagher is no guarantee, and Drouin is undrafted so get real. Galchenyuk is the only one I would pencil in as our top line player for the future, with Pacioretty at his wing, and X player on theother wing. What we need to get right now is not X player but an other franchise center such as Monahan, Lindholm or if we dream big(or tank hard) Barkov.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:09 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
No, it doesn't actually.

Gllagher is no guarantee, and Drouin is undrafted so get real. Galchenyuk is the only one I would pencil in as our top line player for the future, with Pacioretty at his wing, and X player on theother wing. What we need to get right now is not X player but an other franchise center such as Monahan, Lindholm or if we dream big(or tank hard) Barkov.
drouin is better than all the guys you just mentioned........

Old
02-10-2013, 09:21 PM
DAChampion

We need more star power period, does not matter as much if the player is a center, dman, or winger.

Both our offense and defense are mediocre at best.

Any of Jones, Lindholm, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, or MacKinnon would firm up our foundation for the 2015-2020 cup contention window.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:25 PM
SnapVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Drouin is undrafted so get real. [....] What we need to get right now is not X player but an other franchise center such as Monahan, Lindholm or if we dream big(or tank hard) Barkov.
Are you trolling me?

Old
02-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
We need more star power period, does not matter as much if the player is a center, dman, or winger.

Both our offense and defense are mediocre at best.

Any of Jones, Lindholm, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, or MacKinnon would firm up our foundation for the 2015-2020 cup contention window.
As a foil, let's look at the Leafs. Many of us call them delusional for believing in the future of their team but we're a lot closer to them than many are willing to admit. Take a look at the groups of the core group of players and prospects.

Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Max, Beaulieu, Markov, Tinordi

vs

Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR, Reily, Kadri, Lupul, Gardner

If Reimer were to turn into a good starter, are we that much better?

We've got three guys who we hope will be considered top end talent. Beyond that we've got Max and some prospects. The blueline looks like it will be okay but up front? It's pretty thin for us.

Its awesome that we finally have some high end talent and that's truly exciting but I'm not sure that we're there yet. I'd like to have a lot more talent and size on the forwards.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:53 PM
StellerEller
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
As a foil, let's look at the Leafs. Many of us call them delusional for believing in the future of their team but we're a lot closer to them than many are willing to admit. Take a look at the groups of the core group of players and prospects.

Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Max, Beaulieu, Markov, Tinordi

vs

Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR, Reily, Kadri, Lupul, Gardner

If Reimer were to turn into a good starter, are we that much better?

We've got three guys who we hope will be considered top end talent. Beyond that we've got Max and some prospects. The blueline looks like it will be okay but up front? It's pretty thin for us.

Its awesome that we finally have some high end talent and that's truly exciting but I'm not sure that we're there yet. I'd like to have a lot more talent and size on the forwards.
Do you think TT and company will be focusing on forwards at the draft? With 4 picks in the top 2 rounds, we should be able to pick up some nice complementary pieces (Top6) and depending where we finish possibly some Elite talent. Just how far does the elite talent go in the first round? Also, we could amass even more picks if we trade some of our struggling vets.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:06 AM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
Do you think TT and company will be focusing on forwards at the draft? With 4 picks in the top 2 rounds, we should be able to pick up some nice complementary pieces (Top6) and depending where we finish possibly some Elite talent. Just how far does the elite talent go in the first round? Also, we could amass even more picks if we trade some of our struggling vets.
We are too damn soft and small up front. Big bottom pairing Ds are easier to sign in comparison.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:09 AM
schumway2

The only question in this thread should be "How much money can we possibly throw at Getzlaf or Perry in July?".

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a believer in big money UFAs. Most of the time you're paying for reputation of once great, declining superstars. But 28 year old 6'4'' 220lb centers and 6'3'' 50 goal scorers don't hit the market every summer. With some soon expiring contracts and potential buyouts (Kaberle), our cap situation is pretty good. I'd actually be more comfortable paying Perry, as I find Getzlaf has been underwhelming recently but it's hard to ignore a guy who plays a position that's been our greatest weakness for 20 years.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:28 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
The only question in this thread should be "How much money can we possibly throw at Getzlaf or Perry in July?".

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a believer in big money UFAs. Most of the time you're paying for reputation of once great, declining superstars. But 28 year old 6'4'' 220lb centers and 6'3'' 50 goal scorers don't hit the market every summer. With some soon expiring contracts and potential buyouts (Kaberle), our cap situation is pretty good. I'd actually be more comfortable paying Perry, as I find Getzlaf has been underwhelming recently but it's hard to ignore a guy who plays a position that's been our greatest weakness for 20 years.
I would trade Price and Subban for them right now.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:10 AM
Odelein24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
And then Getz and Perry sign somewhere else in the off season and we're in a world of ****

Old
02-11-2013, 03:10 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I'd even add a 1st to make sure we get those 3 months or Perry/Getzlaf...

Old
02-11-2013, 03:47 AM
Odelein24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I think we'd be at least a few blue chip prospects richer. Many of those UFAs would have fetched a handsome return.

Even if everything still happened the same way (Gomez, JM, etc) we would have had a bigger base of picks with which to bolster the rebuild.

It was a wasted opportunity amongst many wasted opportunities during BG's tenure.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:54 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post

The Boston Bruins could not have acquired Zdeno Chara - the greatest UFA signing of all time - without first losing veteran Joe Thornton.

Similarly, the Habs won't acquire Corey Perry without selling off their veterans first.

When you sell veterans you have three chances to win:
- new capspace to rock the offseason.
- young players or picks coming back in the trade.
- your own draft pick becomes
better.

The year that Boston traded veteran Joe Thornton, they missed the almighty playoffs and drafted Phil Kessel 5th overall. They had three chances to win by selling, and they won with two of those chances.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:58 AM
Aceekay

I'm just gonna put it out there, we should have traded cole at the deadline last year.

If ****ing Paul gaustad got a 1st, cole would have gotten a lot considering he was Stanley cup winning vet on an absolute tear scoring thirty goals. Being a power forward helps too, every team could use a player like him if you want to go deep in the playoffs.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:06 AM
blarneylad

Quote:
The Boston Bruins could not have acquired Zdeno Chara - the greatest UFA signing of all time - without first losing veteran Joe Thornton.

Similarly, the Habs won't acquire Corey Perry without selling off their veterans first.

better.

The year that Boston traded veteran Joe Thornton, they missed the almighty playoffs and drafted Phil Kessel 5th overall. They had three chances to win by selling, and they won with two of those chances.
Corey Perry is a weird dude though. I met him at a bar, he was with his G/F (local girl) and followed her around. Super shy awkward guy. Very weak handshake and me at 5'11 made him nervous talking to him. It was one of the most awkward meetings of an NHL hockey player I've ever been involved in or heard of.

Based on my 30 seconds talking to him he seems like a weird dude. I was one of two guys in the bar that realized who he was. He was like a ghost hiding in the shadows.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:58 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarneylad View Post
Corey Perry is a weird dude though. I met him at a bar, he was with his G/F (local girl) and followed her around. Super shy awkward guy. Very weak handshake and me at 5'11 made him nervous talking to him. It was one of the most awkward meetings of an NHL hockey player I've ever been involved in or heard of.

Based on my 30 seconds talking to him he seems like a weird dude. I was one of two guys in the bar that realized who he was. He was like a ghost hiding in the shadows.
Might have been having a bad day.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:07 AM
Roulin

Quote:

better.

I think there's still a 10% cap cushion in the offseason... why wouldn't the Habs be able to trade Gionta after signing Perry? I guess that's counter to the spirit of this thread, but doesn't it seem like a safer way to approach 2013-14?

Closed Thread