HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Stefan Matteau - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2012, 29th overall, New Jersey)

Old
02-10-2013, 07:58 AM
FirmestPiano

vCash: 500
"Before getting to how crazy the year has been, Matteauís inclusion on the Devilsí roster must be extra sweet. It also could be historic. Matteau was playing at the National Team Development Program last year. While this year is different due to the lockout, I canít recall an NTDP player making an NHL team the year immediately following his under-18 season in Ann Arbor. Many have made the following year and some were not draft eligible during their U18 season (Patrick Kane, Cam Fowler, Phil Kessel, namely). So this is a pretty big deal for both Matteau and a program that has produced many American NHLers."

from: http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2013...-year-the-nhl/

"When Matteau earned a roster spot for New Jersey right out of training camp earlier this month, he became the first to perform in the NHL the season after starring in the United States Hockey League."

Maybe that answers your question.

FirmestPiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

He doesn't have the speed or the top-end offensive ability, but this kid reminds me of parise in a lot of ways. I think he tops out as a 2nd liner, but he's looked good when paired with kovy and zajac. He's a great forechecker for that line.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Well, I guess now we know why Lou opted to keep his 2012 first round pick.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
He doesn't have the speed or the top-end offensive ability, but this kid reminds me of parise in a lot of ways. I think he tops out as a 2nd liner, but he's looked good when paired with kovy and zajac. He's a great forechecker for that line.
Zubrus moreso than Parise. I don't see the Parise comparison, Matteaus much bigger and much less offensively skilled or driven at this stage.

Zippy316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Played another great game. Played 14 minutes. Picked up another assist and had his most physical game as a Devil

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:17 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Darcy Tucker

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:28 AM
Parise9Crosby87

a parise clone would be great

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Cayouche5

Stefan Matteau released by Armada in the playoff (mod)

Was not happy after being left on the bench in the 2nd period of the 2nd game in the semi final against Baie-Comeau after a bad penalty. He didn't return home on the team bus but with the fan bus. Joel Bouchard the GM called a Press Conference tomorow to clear all up.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lhjmq/matte...rmada-1.612232

Cayouche5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Green Blob*

Thank god my team didnt draft this head case. Grow up kid.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Keep in mind, his father is the assistant coach of the Armada...

This is a weird one, I'm interested to see what happens here.

Matteau got called for a slash late in the second period and Baie-Comeau scored the go-ahead goal (eventual game-winner) 10 seconds after that penalty expired. Apparently, the slash was pretty blatant and then Matteau never saw the ice again.

04-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Teeder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post

Thank god my team didnt draft this head case. Grow up kid.
Ummm....

Seriously not a big deal. Kids will be kids.

Teeder9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:48 PM
SchultzSquared

Boy the Devils sure know how to pick headcases...

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:52 PM
puckfan13

Meh, he's 18 and mad and there's the factor of his dad being on the coaching staff which could have the potential to ramp up emotions even higher. Not ready to denounce and step all over the character of an 18-year-old kid just because of one thing, but if it becomes an ongoing pattern it's more of a concern. Hockey is an emotional game played by emotional people and playoffs are even more emotional.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:02 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Oh I know, I was just wondering if they had to surrender this years pick, or if they had one more year.

One other question, do they have to surrender it before or after the lottery draft, and if they have to before, does that improve the odds of the other teams, or do they slide the lowest ranked playoff team into the draft and move everyone else up to fill in for the Devils void? Or do they just count the Devils as being in the lottery draft but if they 'won' the draft, the results would act as if the first overall team won (IE, no change in standings).
They have this and next year to surrender the pick and pretty sure they have to decide within 24 hours of the Cup being won. Not sure about the last part of your question but I'd assume they're just completely ignored and other teams get better odds.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:03 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Meh, he's 18 and mad and there's the factor of his dad being on the coaching staff which could have the potential to ramp up emotions even higher. Not ready to denounce and step all over the character of an 18-year-old kid just because of one thing, but if it becomes an ongoing pattern it's more of a concern. Hockey is an emotional game played by emotional people and playoffs are even more emotional.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Maybe he's a headcase like Steve Downie.

He's been alright.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Maybe he's a headcase like Steve Downie.

He's been alright.
Or a headcase like Akim Aliu or Kyle Beach, if you prefer to go that route.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:13 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
He was suspended multiple times this season and his team even tacked on additional games to a few of them because they were tired of his antics.
He was also given a massive suspension last season in the USHL after he speared someone in the groin, which happened shortly after he returned from his previous suspension for abuse of officials.

Safe to say it's a problem and he's a piece of trash.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:14 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Yikes, what a headcase. Thought it was a moronic move not forfeiting the pick, thought it was a moronic move picking Matteau, thought it was a moronic move putting him on a 4th line in the NHL, and now this.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

I might be wrong on this, but discussing it on Twitter and wanted to circle back here in case anyone is wondering:

In terms of options, Matteau doesn't have many for the rest of the season. Because he was assigned to the QMJHL by the Devils, he cannot rejoin the Devils or go to Albany until Blainville-Boisbriand finishes their season (AKA until they are eliminated from the playoffs). Now there's some edge cases there (emergency recall) but for the purposes of this discussion, let's just say he can't just start playing with the Devils again to finish off the season.

Next season is where it gets interesting. As a 19-year-old, he's eligible to return to the QMJHL next season. But he doesn't have to. Because he was drafted out of the USNTDP and not the QMJHL, the Devils can choose to assign him to the AHL if they want or keep him on their roster. Should they send him to the QMJHL then he would then fall under the limitations for recalls again, but the key thing to remember is that he doesn't have to be sent to junior next year.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:23 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
Keep in mind, his father is the assistant coach of the Armada...

This is a weird one, I'm interested to see what happens here.

Matteau got called for a slash late in the second period and Baie-Comeau scored the go-ahead goal (eventual game-winner) 10 seconds after that penalty expired. Apparently, the slash was pretty blatant and then Matteau never saw the ice again.
you can see the slash at about the 38 sec mark:

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lhjmq/le-...rmada-20042013

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:33 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
I might be wrong on this, but discussing it on Twitter and wanted to circle back here in case anyone is wondering:

In terms of options, Matteau doesn't have many for the rest of the season. Because he was assigned to the QMJHL by the Devils, he cannot rejoin the Devils or go to Albany until Blainville-Boisbriand finishes their season (AKA until they are eliminated from the playoffs). Now there's some edge cases there (emergency recall) but for the purposes of this discussion, let's just say he can't just start playing with the Devils again to finish off the season.

Next season is where it gets interesting. As a 19-year-old, he's eligible to return to the QMJHL next season. But he doesn't have to. Because he was drafted out of the USNTDP and not the QMJHL, the Devils can choose to assign him to the AHL if they want or keep him on their roster. Should they send him to the QMJHL then he would then fall under the limitations for recalls again, but the key thing to remember is that he doesn't have to be sent to junior next year.
I don't think Matteau will be back in the Q next year. If the Devils don't keep him on their roster, he'll likely play in the AHL. Seems to be getting more popular to get players in the AHL as soon as possible.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:39 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Andy Johnson ‏@AndyJohnsonB5Q 6m
Former UND commit Stefan Matteau possibly quit on team in middle of playoff series & rode home on fan bus with dad who is asst. coach? What?

^^ apparently dad rode on the fan bus with him.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Andy Johnson ‏@AndyJohnsonB5Q 6m
Former UND commit Stefan Matteau possibly quit on team in middle of playoff series & rode home on fan bus with dad who is asst. coach? What?

^^ apparently dad rode on the fan bus with him.
Yep, that was reported by a couple different sources.

At first glance, I was thinking that might be an indication of something, but it's probably more of a safety thing than anything else. They wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) just throw a 19-year-old on a bus by himself, regardless of what happened. Makes sense to send his father with him.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:57 PM
SiouxPride

Watching the video, it looks like the opposing player gave him a little jab/spear and matteau gave him a hack back, didnt look that serious. i would have penalized both or neither judging on what the ref saw. the altercation if i was the coach wouldn't be a big deal, but i guess their coach thought so benched him and then it all escalated.

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote