HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When did Smyth become so undisciplined?

Old
02-11-2013, 12:27 AM
Chooch

vCash: 500
When did Smyth become so undisciplined?

This is getting bizarre, has there been a game this season where he hasn't taken a dumb penalty? His behaviour toward the reffs against Detroit the other day was just child-like, even Krueger had to tell him to keep it together. He's just being a horrible example to the younger players, he isn't being the veteran that this club needs and don't even get me started on his play.

Anybody think he's unhappy and wants out? I've never seen Smyth at this low of a level in the NHL before and i surely didn't think it would happen this year.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:28 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

He takes these stick infractions because he's so slow and behind the play all the time.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:29 AM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
What a lazy guy. Here it goes. Guy goes in the offensive zone, loses puck, not speed to retrieve, hooks a guy.

Slow, useless player UNLESS he gets a rest and used properly.

Does our coach have the balls to do that? He better.

Bench him

GO99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:31 AM
Chooch

Smyth is driving me nuts. Not even bothering to learn from his mistakes. I never thought i'd say this, but i want Smyth out. It's just time to move on for both sides.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:32 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Ryan Smyth had a far better career but these twilight seasons are reminding me of Ethan Moreau. There are even reports that he's upset about being on the fourth line.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:35 AM
#ualberta

He's old and slow and just not a very good hockey player anymore.
He should have retired last season, oiler fans used to love Smyth but now he's holding the team back.

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:37 AM
SchultzSquared

I still hold out hope what we saw today was just because the kids decided to punk him by gluing his skate guards on his skates...

SchultzSquared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:39 AM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
What a lazy guy. Here it goes. Guy goes in the offensive zone, loses puck, not speed to retrieve, hooks a guy.

Bench him
He's not even good at being a garbage picker anymore. That just makes him useless.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:52 AM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Smyth has always been prone to undisciplined penalties. Even in his 30 goal years, he cost the team games with lazy stick infractions.

The goals and grit have dried up, and all that is left are the penalties.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:55 AM
PETRYDISH

Smyth is my hero.... I hate seeing my hero play way past his prime, and that is what's happening. I can no longer sit here and support him being in the lineup. So hard to say though.

PETRYDISH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:57 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Ryan Smyth had a far better career but these twilight seasons are reminding me of Ethan Moreau. There are even reports that he's upset about being on the fourth line.
I guess that means he sees himself as better than Hartikanen and Paajarvi. A pretty horrible attitude for a veteran to have.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:01 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
He's always taken dumb penalties (Game 7 anyone?). He usually scored enough points to make it a moot point, but this year he's just... terrible.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:19 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

It's the inevitable decline of what was once an effective forechecking, grinding, winger.

We're seeing Smyth on his last legs here. Slow strolling pace up and down the ice, clumsy turns around the net, inability to protect the puck along the boards - like another poster said, he's playing past his prime, past his decline - he's basically digging his own grave now.

Buying out Horcoff seemed the logical choice after this season - but I think we're better off ending the Smyth experiment early and riding Horc on the 3rd line for one more season before buying him out.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:23 AM
loller12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post

Bench him
I'm sorry but if Ryan Smyth is getting tired when only playing 11 minutes a night then he shouldn't be playing in the NHL. Right now Smyth has to accept hes a 4th line guy that kills penalties, because if he thinks hes better than Harti or PRV then he should be benched for the whole season.

loller12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:32 AM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
Smyth is my hero.... I hate seeing my hero play way past his prime, and that is what's happening. I can no longer sit here and support him being in the lineup. So hard to say though.
I've heard this sentiment from more than a few younger fans. Lot of them not around for the dynasty years, and even missed out on the Weight years.

A whole generation of fans who have never seen anything but a short glimpse of an elite player in oiler silks(Pronger), and turned the medicore players the team was limited to retaining into cult heros in the vacuum created by the poor situation the team was in during the 00s.

You guys really missed out when you were growing up watching hockey.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:47 AM
PETRYDISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
I've heard this sentiment from more than a few younger fans. Lot of them not around for the dynasty years, and even missed out on the Weight years.

A whole generation of fans who have never seen anything but a short glimpse of an elite player in oiler silks(Pronger), and turned the medicore players the team was limited to retaining into cult heros in the vacuum created by the poor situation the team was in during the 00s.

You guys really missed out when you were growing up watching hockey.
Ya I was pretty young for the weight years, although I remember the Carter-Weight-Guerin days, Smyth is definitely the first star in oil silks that I really remember. Now that I think of it.... It's kind of sad. I also feel sad cause I know a lot of older guys like my dad are holding our current you guns up to standards of the greatest hockey players of all time..... This team seems so close right now to succeeding, yet so far away.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:51 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
Ya I was pretty young for the weight years, although I remember the Carter-Weight-Guerin days, Smyth is definitely the first star in oil silks that I really remember. Now that I think of it.... It's kind of sad. I also feel sad cause I know a lot of older guys like my dad are holding our current you guns up to standards of the greatest hockey players of all time..... This team seems so close right now to succeeding, yet so far away.
My dad is the same way. He's also getting up there in years and I'd like to be able to take him to an Oilers playoff game before he gets too old. This organization needs to hurry the hell up.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:02 AM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
My dad is the same way. He's also getting up there in years and I'd like to be able to take him to an Oilers playoff game before he gets too old. This organization needs to hurry the hell up.
They do, 6 years going on 7 is way too much for a team that has die-hard fans that puts up with it's terrible management.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:05 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

He always was undisciplined. But these days remind me of Moreau as a captain a few years ago. Dark dark times. Lol

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:07 AM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
He always was undisciplined. But these days remind me of Moreau as a captain a few years ago. Dark dark times. Lol
Yeah, but my point is when was he so undisciplined? I don't ever remember Smyth being this bad.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:08 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

He needs to be benched the sooner the better Imo.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:08 AM
PETRYDISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
They do, 6 years going on 7 is way too much for a team that has die-hard fans that puts up with it's terrible management.
Ya I was just thinking the other day about the cup run in 06. I was 16 years old when it happened and I remember thinking about how crazy white ave would be when I get old enough to go out drinking.... Even though i was young at the time I'm feeling my bar days and desire to run around white ave all the time slithering away slowly. I've grown up far too much since our last playoff appearance... way too long.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:11 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
Yeah, but my point is when was he so undisciplined? I don't ever remember Smyth being this bad.
He started being this bad in his last year as a king. Just difficult for him to keep up now. I guess.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
As has been stated on this thread and many others, Smyth's penalties are the direct result of not being able to keep up in the play. It's been evolving over the last year or 3. It's starting to become a serious problem this year.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:31 AM
JoeCool16

I think he still has what it takes to be effective in a specific role, and if he's used sparingly (not on back-to-back games, for example) and has time to rest, he can still contribute.

That said, I agree that these penalties are coming from him being unable to keep up with quick skates and having to hook to keep up.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote