HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Details Concerning the 2013 Draft: June 30th, 15:00 EDT, All 7 Rounds

Old
02-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Details Concerning the 2013 Draft: June 30th, 15:00 EDT, All 7 Rounds

Renaud Lavoie on RDS just said that the draft will be held on June 30th at the Prudential Center. The draft will begin at 15:00 eastern time. All rounds will be held on that day. Stanley Cup finals may last until June 28th.

Last edited by Mathletic: 02-09-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:57 PM
SDig14

Yup, this was announced right after CBA was finalized.

I was pretty shocked they decided to do one day, it's going to be VERY long.

Likely means 3 hours for round 1 and 3 hours for the rest of the draft, so 6 hours all in out night.

Any idea if they still plan to have some sort of break in between the coverage of round 1 and the rest of the draft?

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Tinalera

Remind me-is Free Agency July 1st this year or later?

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Remind me-is Free Agency July 1st this year or later?
July 5th, if I'm not mistaken.

Goes back to July 1 next year.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:53 PM
StrongIslanders90

wow gonna be a crazy day...

Good for the 1st round talents that will be drafted in the 2nd...

I feel for the kids who get told they are projected to go in the first and wait all night there with thier families only to not get picked that night...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
wow gonna be a crazy day...

Good for the 1st round talents that will be drafted in the 2nd...

I feel for the kids who get told they are projected to go in the first and wait all night there with thier families only to not get picked that night...
Its really painful to watch. Definitely won't be as bad this year. (Maybe this is something the NHL will consider for the future too?)
_______

I really hope TSN televises the entire draft. I hate missing the 2 - 7 rounds.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Honestly, I hate how long the first round takes anyway on the first day so I'm glad to see this change.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
So.. is the 1st round not going to be the same as usual? No calling up the players on stage and what not? That would kind of suck I love that part of the draft.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Honestly, I hate how long the first round takes anyway on the first day so I'm glad to see this change.
Draft day is fun. I like how prolonged it is. Good trade atmosphere.

Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:24 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Its really painful to watch. Definitely won't be as bad this year. (Maybe this is something the NHL will consider for the future too?)
_______

I really hope TSN televises the entire draft. I hate missing the 2 - 7 rounds.
TSN will probably televise the 1st round, maybe the 2nd, but will probably differ to NHL Network at some point.

Personally, I like having the 1st round in prime-time and having it last as long as it does. I'm sure alot of the kids getting drafted don't like it, but like another poster said, it creates a buzz with trades.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:31 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

June 30th's a Sunday, strange day to have a draft. Wonder they wouldn't have it on a Saturday in early July as they did following the 1995 lockout.

02-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I'm not getting the NHL-N for this. Normally it's at my place, then I go to a buddy's place the next day for rounds 2-7.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
TSN will probably televise the 1st round, maybe the 2nd, but will probably differ to NHL Network at some point.

Personally, I like having the 1st round in prime-time and having it last as long as it does. I'm sure alot of the kids getting drafted don't like it, but like another poster said, it creates a buzz with trades.
Are you kidding? After all the bs lockout day long segments they had, I think they'll have trouble hiding their bones about airing the entire draft. I'd be shocked if they dont

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:32 PM
shello
@WShello9

Going to this and next years draft. Potentially going to be a longgg day
All in all the draft always looks fun, anyone who's been care to comment on how it is? Always wondered if get serve food during it. My guess would be no.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:32 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
June 30th's a Sunday, strange day to have a draft. Wonder they wouldn't have it on a Saturday in early July as they did following the 1995 lockout.
I assume its because they want the draft a few days in advance of free agency. We know the players like the July 1 day, so I am assuming its hard to get them to go any furthur past July 5h this year. With the 2 independence days, that means there isnt much of a choice after the 30th.

In reality its not a big deal. The non-playoff teams will have had time to establish their final lists, so it just means the Cup contenders management will have to do the bulk of their ranking establishment during the playoffs, but its not a big deal cause they dont really do much during that time anyways

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:41 PM
northernKing

I know the draft lottery has changed so that any non playoff team can win and draft #1 overall but any other details leaked yet? Personally I think it would be much more entertaining and fair if they opted for a NBA style lottery were not just one spot is up for grabs

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:18 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Going to this and next years draft. Potentially going to be a longgg day
All in all the draft always looks fun, anyone who's been care to comment on how it is? Always wondered if get serve food during it. My guess would be no.
I went to the 2010/2011 Drafts and hopefully this year's as well. Concessions were available and pretty much the main moneymaker for the host team since the tickets are free.

There's certainly some fat to be trimmed off the broadcast for the first round. It's rapid fire for rounds 2-7 normally. There are a few videos of the 2nd day of the 2012 Draft and the 180 picks took a little more than 2 and a half hours.

It's definitely a different dynamic with it all being in one day. For the 2010 Draft in LA, I stuck around the area after the first round was over. The NHL folks and various draftees spill into nearby restaurants.

I was waiting for a table to open up at one place and Shea Weber (plus some Nashville scouts?) were the next group behind us. Charlie Coyle and his family came in later. From our table, I saw a bunch of prospects walk by. It probably was a 'you had to be there' moment, but Emerson Etem was walking by himself looking like somebody just ran over his dog. He was probably emotionally drained from having to wait until pick #29.

I probably had more fun with Day #2 since nobody really attends. For this draft, I would think that most folks would leave after the first round. It's interesting if you can make your way down near the floor. For 2010, I had a front row seat for Day #2.

I could hear Brian Burke walk from table to table offering up his fourth round pick. Eventually he worked out a deal with George McPhee.

For 2011, I was able to sit in the section adjacent to the players. It's a cool dynamic to see a family spontaneously erupt in excitement. We sat near Brandon Saad and talked to one of his cousins during the 1st round. We talked about Chicago at #26 being a good landing spot. Saad had to wait the extra day but Chicago got him at #43.

Should be fun, but a little different with the Draft probably ending closer later at night. If you have nothing to do, you should stick around the area and see who you might run into. I had a quick conversation with Steve Thomas while his son was busy taking pictures. I took a photo for an Avs prospect (pretty sure it was Sami Aitokallio) and his family. I saw Kirill Kabanov walking outside Staples Center looking extremely lost; Asked him if he needed help and he said his parents were still inside but security wouldn't let him back in (eventually they did).

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote