HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 11:03 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Fucale pulled after another shaky goal. Hopefully a goalie needy team picks him before our first rounder.
If Timmins takes him with our 1st he should be fired.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
I'm not hinting that he would take him, just saying I hope a team takes him before we pick, leaving an extra quality skater available to us.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:07 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
They were not deep at center then lost Etchegarry most of the year and Grigorenko since the lock out ended. It's hurt Duclair worst than the others.
I know and both Erne and Sorensen slowed down too but never to that level...

Old
02-08-2013, 11:32 PM
le_sean

Is Gauthier that much better than Mantha? If we go by stats, it's not really close.

Is there a footspeed or hockey sense issue with Mantha? I don't really see either very often.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Ubercron9000

I hope we really get Wennberg the guy is a monster. He is good now I'm just not sure what his potential could be.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:13 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
Happy Snow Day Grant!

Who would you draft first, Zykov or Nichuskin?
?
Does Nichuskin's KHL contract, have an out clause for the NHL?

Old
02-09-2013, 07:31 AM
SwedisHab
Slim Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubercron9000 View Post
I hope we really get Wennberg the guy is a monster. He is good now I'm just not sure what his potential could be.
Yup, that kid is a beast already in swedish 2nd league. If he bulk some and maybe have a year in AHL he could be crazy good here too.

Old
02-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Is Gauthier that much better than Mantha? If we go by stats, it's not really close.

Is there a footspeed or hockey sense issue with Mantha? I don't really see either very often.
Gauthier is a center and more complete. Mantha a pure sniper but a late birthday.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:18 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Gauthier is a center and more complete. Mantha a pure sniper but a late birthday.
Gauthier is also pretty good on faceoffs as well as playing all three zones,whereas Mantha/RW is a pure goalscorer and poor defensively.Carrier/LW is good in all three zones,but not the goalscorer that Mantha is.Now I would be really quite satisfied if the Habs drafted these three and Eric Comrie/G or Shea Theodore/Sam Morin/Def.with their first 5 draft choices.Laurent Dauphin or Pavel Buchnevich are good replacements for these picks in the 2nd round.My preference would be to have Gauthier/Mantha/Carrier as a line that combines talent,skating,speed and size.Then draft a couple of defencemen to add depth in the system in case a few prospects don't pan out which is just a smart back-up plan as is Comrie the Tri-City goalie that Price worked out with during the Lockout.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

Mantha known to disappear at times. Gauthier likely Timmins pick...if he's gone Zykov...if he's gone Wennberg. Unless somebody big like Erne or Zadarov slides.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:04 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Mantha known to disappear at times. Gauthier likely Timmins pick...if he's gone Zykov...if he's gone Wennberg. Unless somebody big like Erne or Zadarov slides.
Gauthier should be picked before Erne regardless.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:19 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Does Nichuskin's KHL contract, have an out clause for the NHL?
Doubt it.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:38 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
I know and both Erne and Sorensen slowed down too but never to that level...
Sorensen and Erne weren't playing with Grigorenko anyway. Duclair was. Although, this week Duclair has played well. Erne, not much. He's getting some points playing with Sorensen.

Sorensen is playing better than Erne and Duclair since the beginning of 2013. He's their best forward right now. He's developing into a complete player, he's playing well in all 3 zones. Erne and Duclair have troubles in their own zone.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:19 AM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Sorensen and Erne weren't playing with Grigorenko anyway. Duclair was. Although, this week Duclair has played well. Erne, not much. He's getting some points playing with Sorensen.

Sorensen is playing better than Erne and Duclair since the beginning of 2013. He's their best forward right now. He's developing into a complete player, he's playing well in all 3 zones. Erne and Duclair have troubles in their own zone.
I know they were not playing with Grigorenko, I was just acknowledging that everyone on les Remparts had slowed down offensively. I've only seen two Remparts games since WJC but I heard quite a few echo your thoughts on Sorensen's play.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:32 AM
FisherKing

Would love to see Timmins land Zadarov with the 1st and Simon and Diaby with 2 of our 2nds. Zadarov seems unlikely as it appears he'll go too high, but it's possible he slips much like some of the highly rated forwards in 2012. If Gauthier is still on the board, then I hope Timmins takes him, but if not then Zadarov if he's still there. With him, Simon and Diaby (or any 2 of them) added to Tinordi, I think Price would feel fairly secure when they are on the blue line, assuming of course they make it to the NHL which wouldn't seem to be an unreasonable expectation.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:47 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
Would love to see Timmins land Zadarov with the 1st and Simon and Diaby with 2 of our 2nds. Zadarov seems unlikely as it appears he'll go too high, but it's possible he slips much like some of the highly rated forwards in 2012. If Gauthier is still on the board, then I hope Timmins takes him, but if not then Zadarov if he's still there. With him, Simon and Diaby (or any 2 of them) added to Tinordi, I think Price would feel fairly secure when they are on the blue line, assuming of course they make it to the NHL which wouldn't seem to be an unreasonable expectation.
Who is this Simon you speak of?

Old
02-11-2013, 05:01 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Who is this Simon you speak of?
Sorry, blonde moment there. I meant Samuel Morin, not Simon. Hey, it's early and I'm still only half awake.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:48 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Sorry, blonde moment there. I meant Samuel Morin, not Simon. Hey, it's early and I'm still only half awake.
Good choices,which forwards besides Gauthier,any of those defencemen will be available in the late 2nd & 3rd rounds,except Zadorov.An extra 3rd round pick can see the Habs get Diaby & Morin,a few extra 3rd round picks may get Tyler Hill LW,Mike McCarron RW and John Hayden C which would give the Habs a 4th line,that would be huge and players that can move through the lineup.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Mats86

Quote:
lol...I see. Thought I had missed a prospect for a second. Diaby and Morin sort of similar players. Not that different than Tinordi and Ellis. I'd imagine he'll take one of them in second round but doubt both. Probably off set it with a Subban offensive type. I'd be suprised if Gauthier is not our first round pick. Unless we miss playoffs and win lottery.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Fozz

Quote:
I have nothing against oversized d-men but I wouldn't put all our eggs in the same basket as a result of an overreaction to a bad game against the Leafs.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:37 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
I know they were not playing with Grigorenko, I was just acknowledging that everyone on les Remparts had slowed down offensively. I've only seen two Remparts games since WJC but I heard quite a few echo your thoughts on Sorensen's play.
The offense had already slowed down before Grigorenko left for the WJC but he was scoring 1 goal per game. Losing that goal per game is a lot.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:39 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
lol...I see. Thought I had missed a prospect for a second. Diaby and Morin sort of similar players. Not that different than Tinordi and Ellis. I'd imagine he'll take one of them in second round but doubt both. Probably off set it with a Subban offensive type. I'd be suprised if Gauthier is not our first round pick. Unless we miss playoffs and win lottery.
You're probably right but wouldn't it be interesting 3-5 years from now for players playing against the habs to look across at the Habs' defensive lineup while listening to the National Anthem(s) and seeing Morin, Diaby, Zadorov, Tinordi and PK standing there.

I agree that Gauthier will be our first round pick IF he's still there, which he may or may not be and I'd be very happy with that pick. If he isn't there, and Zadorov is, then I hope Timmins picks Zadorov. Hagg is another interesting possibility for the Habs in the 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I have nothing against oversized d-men but I wouldn't put all our eggs in the same basket as a result of an overreaction to a bad game against the Leafs.
Well, first of all, I've been a Habs fan for over 50 years so I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly with this team, so I'm not really inclined toward "knee jerk reactions" to games like the Leafs game on Saturday the way some younger posters here seem to be. Rather, my drafting preferences are based on the last 1000+ games the Habs have played (give or take a few hundred ). Of course I haven't seen all of them, but enough to get a feel for where the team has been going, or more accurately where it HASN'T been going.

My draft preferences are based on the teams recent (and not so recent) history; where I think the team may be drafting which I think will be the middle of the pack - maybe 12-18 (pure speculation of course); the players that might be available when Habs pick and the long term possiblee benefits to the Habs of picking those players.

Again, it's pure speculation on my part, but then I guess we're all in the same boat on that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Good choices,which forwards besides Gauthier,any of those defencemen will be available in the late 2nd & 3rd rounds,except Zadorov.An extra 3rd round pick can see the Habs get Diaby & Morin,a few extra 3rd round picks may get Tyler Hill LW,Mike McCarron RW and John Hayden C which would give the Habs a 4th line,that would be huge and players that can move through the lineup.
If Gauthier (and Zadorov) are gone when Habs pick in the 1st, then I'm with Grant on Wennberg...really like this guy's game or as Grant puts it "how he thinks the game". He's an early birthday and up to a year older than some of the other prospects, which is a concern mentioned by some, and his ceiling is difficult to predict, but I'd be really happy if Timmins takes him. Zykov is another interesting option. I haven't seen him play but from what I've read he sounds a bit like a poor man's Yakupov - good size, good offensive instincts, aggressive, crashes the net, goes to the dirty areas to get his goals, or at least that' seems to be the "book" on him. If true, that works for me.

Last edited by FisherKing: 02-11-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old
02-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Diaby's team was on TVA Sports yesterday against the Olympiques. I liked him. Easy to see him making the NHL because he's really big, mobile, tough, good in his end and I saw flashes of offence too.

I would not use our highest 2nd on him (assuming it's between 30 and 40). He's not a flashy pick...but if you use a mid 2nd on him, I mean it's the 2nd round...if you get a regular defenceman out of it, you are doing well. Usually only like 1/3 of the 2nd round even plays more than 80 NHL games.

I really liked Poirier and Reway on the Olympiques.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:07 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Diaby will be available in the 3rd or 4th rounds...

Old
02-11-2013, 01:26 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
No Excuses these players would give the team depth to deal with any type of game the opposition brings.Just get more eggs and a couple more baskets.(more 3rd & 4th round picks as is the Habs don't have a 4th round pick)Another 2nd and three more 3rd's would really give the system quality depth with proper development,which the Habs have in place thanks to Bergevin.

Closed Thread