HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Bob Cole

Old
02-11-2013, 03:01 AM
DeputyMcLaren

vCash: 500
Bob Cole

Throughout the last season and a half I have routinely caught myself saying "God I miss Bob Cole", Saturday night was music to my ears, the man knows how to call a game of hockey and really get the audience at the edge of their seat. Is there anyway he comes out of retirement and starts calling leaf games again?

DeputyMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:17 AM
Count Von Grabo*

He called their last game...

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:18 AM
HappyGilmourr

i'm confused

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:33 AM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Von Grabo View Post
He called their last game...
He knows he said that. He is hoping that it's not a one time thing because they had Hughson calling another game. He wants to see Bob Cole do more Leaf games.

I for one want anyone but Hughson to do them but Bob Cole is the best choice. His voice is legendary but you can tell he's not as sharp as he once was. He thought Bourque's high stick was going against Liles, and a few times in the night he called players by the wrong name. Bob Cole wouldn't do that 10 years ago.

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:36 AM
Quarter
Nullius in verba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstertainment View Post
He knows he said that. He is hoping that it's not a one time thing because they had Hughson calling another game. He wants to see Bob Cole do more Leaf games.

I for one want anyone but Hughson to do them but Bob Cole is the best choice. His voice is legendary but you can tell he's not as sharp as he once was. He thought Bourque's high stick was going against Liles, and a few times in the night he called players by the wrong name. Bob Cole wouldn't do that 10 years ago.
Then we should clone him. Future Leafs games called by legendary broadcasters Cob Bole and Narry Heale.

Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:46 AM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter View Post
Then we should clone him. Future Leafs games called by legendary broadcasters Cob Bole and Narry Heale.

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:59 AM
MoeMoney

Jim Hughson is boring and reminds me too much of the Vancouver Canucks. Cole is the man, hope he calls some Leaf playoff games soon and Harry Neal comes back.

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:14 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

I only want Bob Cole and Harry Neale. Mistake and all. I don't care. Listening to the highlights again with Cole's voice is awesome.

Don't like Hughson at all. Agreed reminds me of the Canucks, get rid please!!

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:25 AM
dissociater

Maybe 20 years ago he could call a game. Now he's confused, has trouble following the puck, mispronounces names or calls the wrong players the wrong names, is behind the play very often, gets excited at odd moments, and downplays exciting moments. Watch Saturday's game in 6 objectively, it's hilarious how bad he is at actually calling.

dissociater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:26 AM
ALine

I can live with the odd mistake because everything else just sounds so right. Hughson is too much ingrained as the voice of the canucks for me to enjoy him. That and his needless hatred. Just can't stand him for Leaf games.

Was that Hrudey doing the game with him? They make a good pair.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:35 AM
dissociater

That's fair, Cole has a good voice, and maybe brings up some nostalgia. But he doesn't actually do a good job of calling the game. Some of his calls include things like 'and kessel bumped at the line but a nice play made by him........A SHOT' or 'the leafs definitely taking charge.....SCORE!' What exactly happened in these plays?

Old
02-11-2013, 06:43 AM
leburn98

Hearing Cole again was great. I thought Hrudy did a good job considering he does not normally do the color commentary. With a few more games under his belt he could be a great color commentator. Healy was his typical useless self. I respect Hrudy, I wouldn't stand in the same room as Healy.

Also watched bits and pieces of the Nucks game. As I expected Hughson was creaming his pants the entire time, even when the Flames scored first it was Nucks this, Nucks that, oh how great the Sedins are, oh how elite the Nucks are down the middle.

leburn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

just way way better than the other crew

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:45 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

I haven't noticed if there was any difference in announcing before this game, he was pumped and his voice announcing just made the game better to watch. Who gives a F about the mistakes.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:58 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I hate Hughson so much.. And Cole is the voice of hockey to me. I could live with the mistakes. Myself, and a BUNCH of buddies said the same thing.

My old man told me to just pretend Bob got into a few popa before the game, and he a little sauced up in the box, hence being a little behind... Haha

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:07 AM
Dio666

Hughson sucks balls. I did like his "GREAT SAVE POTVIN!!!" back in the day. THats about it.

Hearing Bob Cole call the game was great. He and Harry were always my favorites. Bowen and Ralph (I know they don't work for CBC) a very close second.

Hearing Bob reminded me of those spring like days when the weather was better and the Leafs were in the playoffs.

Dio666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:14 AM
Igy
HFBoards Sponsor

Bob Cole and Harry Neale. Ah the good old days.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:16 AM
gtforepro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissociater View Post
That's fair, Cole has a good voice, and maybe brings up some nostalgia. But he doesn't actually do a good job of calling the game. Some of his calls include things like 'and kessel bumped at the line but a nice play made by him........A SHOT' or 'the leafs definitely taking charge.....SCORE!' What exactly happened in these plays?
So true. I love the voice but can't get over the fact he has no idea what's going on half the time now...Joe Bowen works for me. I'd like to punch Hughson in the mouth.

gtforepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:18 AM
Deuce Awesome

If you want change, complain to the CBC. Email links to this thread and the "Hughson, Simpson, Healy" thread.

Email them to Rogers and CBC (Leafs owners)

Share the links on here so others can do the same.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:20 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissociater View Post
Were you listening to him on the Radio?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:25 AM
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats

I think there's a thread on Cole commentary at least once a year on here, and I'm not a supporter. His 'whoa nelly' schtick is annoying as hell. I used to believe he was a Leafs homer because of how many color games he does for them, but I've read Ron McLean mention otherwise, and based on the amount of times you heard Cole talk about Reimer's potential shutout throughout the game (hoping to 'jinx' it), I gotta believe he's a staunch Habs supporter.

Me, I like Mike Emrick - watching the Kings/Wings game yesterday was a great.

leafs1habs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:28 AM
dissociater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Were you listening to him on the Radio?
Ah, so because we have the visual, it doesn't matter how accurate, appropriate, or insightful his play-by-play is? In that case, I propose he simply tells us stories of his childhood like Grandpa Simpson. It would be more entertaining.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:29 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Cole is the Habs guy.

I suggest the CBC review all the crews from the other side of the border as I've enjoyed broadcasts from CI quite a bit.

I don't see many regional US broadcasts having the same financial ability to pay what CBC does, unless they've thrown in the towel expecting to lose HNiC at the end of the current agreement.

It isn't like you can only find talking hockeyheads in Canada within the CBC.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:30 AM
MapleLeafGardens*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
I haven't noticed if there was any difference in announcing before this game, he was pumped and his voice announcing just made the game better to watch. Who gives a F about the mistakes.
This ^ i don't give a rats ass about a few mistakes and shut up about it one day your ass will be older too the legend Bob Cole is great and still calls the games a million times better than Hughson. Whoever the idiot is at the CBC who made the decision to replace Cole with Hughson on HNIC should be fired! Failed decision if there ever was one.

If anyone has the time today can they look up and post the CBC email addy so we can let the CBC know we want Cole back on Leafs HNIC and send Hughson and Simpson who suck large packing back to Vancouver thanks in advance.

MapleLeafGardens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:45 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstertainment View Post

Bob Cole hasn't been sharp for 20 years. I used to laugh back then at how many mistakes he made. Not just mistakes but complete lack of knowledge of how the game works. He had a classic example Saturday that he used to do 20 years ago (he has never understood that when the official's arm is up and a player is still playing the puck, you KNOW which team is getting the penalty). He followed that up by listing three possible penalties (all the while ignoring the hand signal from the ref that TOLD you what the penalty call was) and says "because sometimes they call those things". Dear Lord!

Without question, his calling of a game is light years better than what we have now, it's just too bad he's never been all that sharp in terms of what he calls.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote