HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Morrison's past picks

Old
02-11-2013, 08:45 AM
alissa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Me and my buddy were just talking about the turn around in Leafs' talent development tonight. How guys like Wellwood, Stajan, Steen, Coliacovo, Tlusty constantly not living up to expectations is changing, and we are starting to see guys in our system actually rise up and even surpass expectations.

Feels Good Man.
Hmm...I think the reason these guys failed to live up to expectations was that our expectations were just too high because we did not have the breadth of 1st round picks we should have.

Alex Steen was a 40-45 point guy for us since his rookie year. He's doing the same thing in St. Louis and this is above average for a mid first round pick.

Matt Stajan paced at 60 points in 2009 and paced at 62 points the year we traded him. For a very late 2nd round pick (57th overall) that's above average.

Wellwood had a 45 point season, and then paced at 71 points the next season. We waived him a month after he turned 25. And he paced for 50 points with Winnipeg last year.

alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:54 AM
alissa

14 years. 14 possible first-round draft picks. Of which we made 9 selections and dumped the other 6. Out of those 9, 7 were actually decent picks of players who can have a good career in the NHL. This means 1/3rd of our roster today should be from our first round picks ALONE.

But of those 7 decent picks, only one is on this team. We gave up the other 6 in bad, bad trades. Rask. Boyes. Steen.

1996 - Nobody
1997 - Nobody
1998 - Antropov (Too much expectation to be a 1st line center, was a good 2nd line center)
1999 - Cereda (BUST)
2000 - Boyes (We had no patience with this guy and lost out big time)
2001 - Colaicovo (Good pick, good player, we put too much expectation on him to be a top 2 D)
2002 - Steen (great pick, great player, we put too much expectation on him to be a 1st liner)
2003 - Nobody
2004 - Nobody
2005 - Rask (This is where the 'bandaging' really began to keep our sinking team afloat. Great pick, terrible decisions)
2006 - Tlusty (BUST)
2007 - Nobody
2008 - Schenn (Good pick, we put too much expectation on him to become Chris Pronger)
2009 - Kadri (Good pick, we still put too much expectation on him to be a #1 center when he should develop into a good 2nd line, 50-60 point guy)
2010 - Nobody

alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:55 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alissa View Post
Hmm...I think the reason these guys failed to live up to expectations was that our expectations were just too high because we did not have the breadth of 1st round picks we should have.
Yep. Stajan/Wellwood not living up to expectations? I'm pretty sure Stajan is playing at a much higher level than the average late-2nd rounder and Wellwood is playing much higher than the average 5th rounder. Steen/Colaicovo probably met expectations or slightly exceeded them for being late-1sts. Steens a solid two-way top 6 guy and Colaicovo if it werent for injuries would be a solid top 4 guy... not bad for some late 1st round picks.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
This means 1/3rd of our roster today should be from our first round picks ALONE.
Why?

I'm all about keeping first round picks, but expecting 14 years worth of them to never be traded or leave as FA's is just non-sensical.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:49 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
I know eh?

It's like everything Burke did was just forgotten once he was gone.

Oh Sorry I should clarify. Everything POSITIVE Burke did has been forgotten.

I saw one of the usual guys calling Kessel useless, after his 3pt game last night.

It will never end.

I know I saw somewhere someone said Orr was the worst 1M spent by the Leafs. I bet they were the loudest person at the bar last night when Orr dummied Bourque.
Ironic isn't it that Kadri was so abused by being developed?!?

Wasn't there going to be a twitter campaign to free Kadri from the tyranny of the Burke regime?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Interactif

Quote:
14 years. 14 possible first-round draft picks. Of which we made 9 selections and dumped the other 6. Out of those 9, 7 were actually decent picks of players who can have a good career in the NHL. This means 1/3rd of our roster today should be from our first round picks ALONE.

But of those 7 decent picks, only one is on this team. We gave up the other 6 in bad, bad trades. Rask. Boyes. Steen.

1996 - Nobody
1997 - Nobody
1998 - Antropov (Too much expectation to be a 1st line center, was a good 2nd line center)
1999 - Cereda (BUST)
2001 - Colaicovo (Good pick, good player, we put too much expectation on him to be a top 2 D)
2002 - Steen (great pick, great player, we put too much expectation on him to be a 1st liner)
2003 - Nobody
2004 - Nobody
2005 - Rask (This is where the 'bandaging' really began to keep our sinking team afloat. Great pick, terrible decisions)
2006 - Tlusty (BUST)
2007 - Nobody
2008 - Schenn (Good pick, we put too much expectation on him to become Chris Pronger)
2009 - Kadri (Good pick, we still put too much expectation on him to be a #1 center when he should develop into a good 2nd line, 50-60 point guy)
2010 - Nobody
Morrison wasn't the head scout prior to 2006, Barry Trapp was the guy that made the Rask pick, he was a great guy that I used to talk to often when he was with Central Scouting as head scout. He loved Rask, but JFJ jettisoned in an ill timed move. I thought Antropov was a great pick, the all world Detroit scouts liked him I heard, but we got him. If he wasn't injured so often early on, he may have been even better.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Sundinisagod
next great swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Morrison wasn't the head scout prior to 2006, Barry Trapp was the guy that made the Rask pick, he was a great guy that I used to talk to often when he was with Central Scouting as head scout. He loved Rask, but JFJ jettisoned in an ill timed move. I thought Antropov was a great pick, the all world Detroit scouts liked him I heard, but we got him. If he wasn't injured so often early on, he may have been even better.
On Antropov, going off memory, I think he was ranked in the 50's...we took him 10th, it was rumoured that Detroit was gonna take him 11th and that Edmonton would have taken him at 13th, I'm probably a little off on the numbers but the teams I think I'm right. I think it was Kevin Pendergast (sp?) Edm scout who claimed Antropov could be the best player in the draft or something along those lines.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
On Antropov, going off memory, I think he was ranked in the 50's...we took him 10th, it was rumoured that Detroit was gonna take him 11th and that Edmonton would have taken him at 13th, I'm probably a little off on the numbers but the teams I think I'm right. I think it was Kevin Pendergast (sp?) Edm scout who claimed Antropov could be the best player in the draft or something along those lines.
I liked the Antropov pick when I saw what the guy was capable of, I think he scored a hattrick vs Carolina but was hurt not too soon after that, think had he not been hurt he would have been on the verge of stardom. Think he was a Pierre Dorian pick, going off memory now, way back when.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Yeah I remember that too. Prendergast was a weird one, I think he joined the Oilers after they had drafted all those Hall of Famers in the 1980s and just presided over a couple of decades of horrible drafts, so I guess his comments on Antropov makes sense...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:30 PM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

Oddly enough Antropov is 10th in points among 1998 draftees.

(An imperfect metric and there's a few D you'd probably take over Antropov in that draft too, but he was ultimately a solid pick. The expected value of 1st rounders past the top 3-5 picks has been heavily inflated over the years.)

AlienWorkShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Interactif

Nazem Kadri has the look of a real good player, never thought I would say this but I am glad we drafted Nazem rather than Brayden Schenn, and I say this as a fan of Kadri.

The pass to Macarthur was an elite pass, the kid creates whenever he is on the ice, and he is solid defensively. I repeat solid defensively. 2 assists tonight but I was more impressed with his positioning and all around game.

I don't know what the Leafs saw in Holzer and Komarov when they drafted them, but these 2 guys really impressed me tonight.

In Komarov we have a high intangible player that is solid defensively, and he doesn't take a shift off.

Holzer, saved a goal tonight, is physical, poised and has presence out there. He's looking good and deserves a regular shift in the NHL.

Frattin just has a nose for the net, finds ways to score.

Reimer played superb again tonight until he got hurt, looking like that number 1 goalie again.

All Morrison picks, but let's replace him some say? LOL

Last edited by Interactif: 02-11-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old
02-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Interactif

Pretty confident saying Kadri has arrived.

Best Morrison picks thus far Reimer, Kadri, and Frattin thus far with a whole boatload to come.

Let's replace him now! lol

Old
02-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Sundinisagod
next great swede

Kadri is making Morrison look good. It was a ballsy pick at the time, definately had the makings of a boom/bust type of selection. I don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but we just might have our first line center after all.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Kadri is making Morrison look good. It was a ballsy pick at the time, definately had the makings of a boom/bust type of selection. I don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but we just might have our first line center after all.
I think most us wanted Brayden Schenn that draft, Burke did too, but Kadri is showing he is in the class of Schenn, Kane, Duchene, in production this year. Who would have thought he would be leading the Leafs in scoring 11 points after 13 games, with a healthy +5. That's a star group to be part of.

Right now, I wouldn't trade Kadri for Schenn, pretty clear last night who was the better player.

And to top things off Holzer and Komarov were very steady last night, hard not to like these 2 player's game. One thing all these guys have in common, they play with an edge, gotta like that if you are a Leafs fan.

Pretty cool seeing all these home grown talents coming into their own this season.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:

1996 - Nobody
1997 - Nobody
1999 - Cereda (BUST)
2003 - Nobody
2004 - Nobody
2006 - Tlusty (BUST)
2007 - Nobody
2010 - Nobody
Tlusty a BUST?????? The kid is only 24.

He is doing fine in Caro.

Cereda had serious health issues, impossible to judge .

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:10 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I think most us wanted Brayden Schenn that draft, Burke did too, but Kadri is showing he is in the class of Schenn, Kane, Duchene, in production this year. Who would have thought he would be leading the Leafs in scoring 11 points after 13 games, with a healthy +5. That's a star group to be part of.

Right now, I wouldn't trade Kadri for Schenn, pretty clear last night who was the better player.

And to top things off Holzer and Komarov were very steady last night, hard not to like these 2 player's game. One thing all these guys have in common, they play with an edge, gotta like that if you are a Leafs fan.

Pretty cool seeing all these home grown talents coming into their own this season.
I'm sure the Schenn love was more due to the Schenn love.

I wanted OEL, but I'm guessing if Schenn and OEL were onboard they would have selected Schenn.

I think this one is easy:

Schenn and Schenn
versus
JVR and Kadri

Old
02-12-2013, 02:12 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Good night for our Head Scout, Dave Morrison.

Tyler Biggs scores his 21st and 22nd goal in his first OHL season.

Leo Komarov scores his first

James Reimer registers his first SO this season

Korbinian Holzer scores his 2nd goal of the season

Blacker scores 2 goals and assists on 1 in last 2 games

Jamie Devane scored his first goal as a Marlie this week

Add this to Frattin and Kadri's play this season. All Morrison picks.

Mr. Morrison is doing his job just fine.
And

Tlusty, Ryan, Ross, McKegg.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:

I'm most happy with the new slowed down attitude we have regarding drafted players.

If this is a page outa Dets book, I'm ALL FOR IT!

I have always felt this organization tended to rush them in and out and placed to little value in keeping draft slots.

I can only hope they keep this new trend up.

Now we just need 1 or 2 over the top picks.

Guys that develope WELL above their draft position. Like a Giroux,Perry,Getz,Parise, i can't recall the last time we pulled that off, well maybe, Rask.

Last edited by Faltorvo: 02-12-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Interactif

Good stuff guys, here is a draft I am really excited about and the possibilities, 2011.

9 picks in total, the top 4 speak for themselves thus far, all having great developmental years. Don't know much about Cameranesi, other than he is a PPG at the college level. But recall our scouts calling him a real young guy that could skate like the wind. Really like the top 4 guys, and if another 1 or 2 guys can surprise us as in the 2006 draft later on, this one has the makings of one of the better one's in Mo's time here with us.

Biggs
Percy
Leivo *
Nilsson *
Cameranesi
Broll
Robertson
Sparks
Everson

*Steal

Old
02-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I'm sure the Schenn love was more due to the Schenn love.

I wanted OEL, but I'm guessing if Schenn and OEL were onboard they would have selected Schenn.

I think this one is easy:

Schenn and Schenn
versus
JVR and Kadri
Luke Schenn, didn't look great last night. I have to admit, not sure how he became so mediocre, but watching him at the Worlds I thought he had do much more to offer. Also thought he would develop a better offensive upside, his promise sort of reminds me of another high leafs pick Gary Nylund, he was servicable, but not a top 3 pick with all things considered.

JVR for Schenn can be almost termed as a theft.

Kadri, just hope he continues to apply what he has learned from Eakins and his own exp. He's got much more offensive upside than Schenn has.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:50 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Luke Schenn, didn't look great last night. I have to admit, not sure how he became so mediocre, but watching him at the Worlds I thought he had do much more to offer. Also thought he would develop a better offensive upside, his promise sort of reminds me of another high leafs pick Gary Nylund, he was servicable, but not a top 3 pick with all things considered.

JVR for Schenn can be almost termed as a theft.

Kadri, just hope he continues to apply what he has learned from Eakins and his own exp. He's got much more offensive upside than Schenn has.
Interestingly, when I saw Luke at the World's(about 3 years ago) I felt sorry for him.

Out on the big ice with players just flying by him, looking like Larry Murphy trying to chase someone down from behind.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Interestingly, when I saw Luke at the World's(about 3 years ago) I felt sorry for him.

Out on the big ice with players just flying by him, looking like Larry Murphy trying to chase someone down from behind.
I thought he had good mobilty for a big man then, even in his rookie year, he has progressively slowed down with age, JVR blowing by him last night was a little painful to watch, but I guess we are used to this.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:38 PM
Interactif

How does Morrison look today guys? I expected Kadri to be good, but he has exceeded all expectations.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:57 PM
hobarth

Quote:
Good stuff guys, here is a draft I am really excited about and the possibilities, 2011.

9 picks in total, the top 4 speak for themselves thus far, all having great developmental years. Don't know much about Cameranesi, other than he is a PPG at the college level. But recall our scouts calling him a real young guy that could skate like the wind. Really like the top 4 guys, and if another 1 or 2 guys can surprise us as in the 2006 draft later on, this one has the makings of one of the better one's in Mo's time here with us.

Biggs
Percy
Leivo *
Nilsson *
Cameranesi
Broll
Robertson
Sparks
Everson

*Steal
Long time yet to say anyone from this draft is a steal don't you think ?

Biggs and Percy haven't exactly set the OHL on fire and are still a long way from proving they may ever be NHL players. Trading up in Biggs' draft cost TO a chance to draft Rickard Rakell and John Gibson, remember Gibson the Gold winning goaltender for the USA during the World Junior championship.

Since none of TO choices has done anything exceptional I don't think we can promote the 2011 draft as an overwhelming success.

hobarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:59 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

What happened to Viktor Loov?

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote