HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Bob Cole

Old
02-11-2013, 07:50 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissociater View Post
Ah, so because we have the visual, it doesn't matter how accurate, appropriate, or insightful his play-by-play is? In that case, I propose he simply tells us stories of his childhood like Grandpa Simpson. It would be more entertaining.
Perhaps but what about the adults watching? They can't tailor a broadcast to just the children.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:55 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I hate Hughson so much.. And Cole is the voice of hockey to me. I could live with the mistakes. Myself, and a BUNCH of buddies said the same thing.

My old man told me to just pretend Bob got into a few popa before the game, and he a little sauced up in the box, hence being a little behind... Haha
I was lucky enough to sit in the Broadcast Booth at the Gardens while Bob and Harry called the game, never forget it.

They did have a few cocktails while calling it. Great guys, chatted to us the entire Intermission.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
Everything is happening!

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:02 AM
KuleminFan41

Its time for those guys to retire. Bob Cole is 80 years old. Too old for announcers imo, as great as it was to hear him we need new voices.

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
I don't care if Cole and Neale talk about a roundez vous at a strip club, I just want to hear their voices serenading Leafs games once again. It just goes together like PB&J. Hughson and Simpson calling Leafs game is like nails on a chalkboard.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Mowerman

I don't care if Bob Cole gets a few calls wrong. I've been watching hockey all my life, I know what's happening anyways. When I watch games live or go to bars I hear his voice inside of my head calling the game. He's a legend with one of the most distinctive and best voices in hockey. I'll take a couple moments of confusion over a constantly detectable bias and unwanted personal injection into the call that is unprofessional and grating. Watching Hughson call the game on Saturday was horrible, it was like listening to two people who just met & only have adoring the Canucks in common. Unbearable, let him **** his pants over Luongo every game and give Toronto someone decent to call the game.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Caius Merlyn

Quote:
Maybe 20 years ago he could call a game. Now he's confused, has trouble following the puck, mispronounces names or calls the wrong players the wrong names, is behind the play very often, gets excited at odd moments, and downplays exciting moments. Watch Saturday's game in 6 objectively, it's hilarious how bad he is at actually calling.
+1

He's just too old now and makes way too many mistakes

Caius Merlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:45 AM
stamkos

Bob is the king, hughson wishes but never will.

stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:48 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

Quote:
Maybe 20 years ago he could call a game. Now he's confused, has trouble following the puck, mispronounces names or calls the wrong players the wrong names, is behind the play very often, gets excited at odd moments, and downplays exciting moments. Watch Saturday's game in 6 objectively, it's hilarious how bad he is at actually calling.
i can live with the above.iconic hnic voice trumps all that **** imo

IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:49 AM
goleafsgo88

I'd like to have Cole/Neale, with or without the mistakes. Although I do acknowledge Cole isn't in tune with the current state of the game. Who could blame him, having being in the industry for that long.

goleafsgo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:18 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstache View Post
Throughout the last season and a half I have routinely caught myself saying "God I miss Bob Cole", Saturday night was music to my ears, the man knows how to call a game of hockey and really get the audience at the edge of their seat. Is there anyway he comes out of retirement and starts calling leaf games again?
I hope JVR never got a copy of that game they got his name wrong A LOT

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Paris in Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
I hope JVR never got a copy of that game they got his name wrong A LOT
Oh there's worse calling on Leaf names.

Poor Gustavsson would probably be confused to know that he's playing on the Leafs blueline.....and don't get me started on Gunnarsson's hurt feelings on how many times his goaltending performance was called inadequate!

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Wizeman*

As a Canuck fan I have no idea what you guys are talking about . Hughson is the best announcer there is.

And John Garret is the most objective side kick ever

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:09 AM
the squared circle

Cole is the best, and I echo all the positive responses so far.

How come no one is *****ing about Glenn Healy calling JVR "John" once in the first period? If Cole had done it, he would have been grilled.
Also, Hrudey's explanation of the first Leaf goal, was horrible. I think he was just caught off guard, but it was embarassing.

These guys make mistakes. Big deal.
I will forever enjoy Cole over Hughson, or any other CBC/TSN/etc commentators.

p.s.
OHHHHHHHHHHH BABY!!!!!!!

the squared circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:10 AM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
Catching Bob's mistakes is part of the fun.

CBC's real mistake was letting go of Chris Cuthbert. He should have been Bob's replacement for Leaf games.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:13 AM
contour

I propose we get Joe Bowen to call our games and a person with a very thick Russian accent (or Indian one too). It would make the game 10x more serious and exciting.

contour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Wendel17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafGardens View Post
If anyone has the time today can they look up and post the CBC email addy so we can let the CBC know we want Cole back on Leafs HNIC and send Hughson and Simpson who suck large packing back to Vancouver thanks in advance.
President of CBC Sports:

Jeffrey Orridge (Jeffrey.Orridge at cbc.ca)

Rogers CEO:

Nadir Mohamed (Nadir.Mohamed at rogers.com)

Bell CEO:

George Cope (George.Cope at bell.ca)

The email addresses are a pure guess on my part. But this system has never failed me before.

Wendel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Wendel17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRamsay View Post
Catching Bob's mistakes is part of the fun.

CBC's real mistake was letting go of Chris Cuthbert. He should have been Bob's replacement for Leaf games.
Totally agree. He was supposed to be Cole's successor, and then Nacy Lee got in the way and screwed that up for everyone.

Cuthbert is a Toronto boy and he loves the Leafs. It doesn't hut that he is IMO the top voice in the country right now.

He is miles better than Hughson. Ugh. I can't stand Hughson!!!!

Wendel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:22 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Cole didnt retire, he just does the Habs games now for CBC.

As for the quality of his call, I could really care less. He doesnt even need to know names to be exciting.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:35 AM
hotpaws

I love listening to Coles voice and god bless the man but his time has come and gone .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Redhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
I love listening to Coles voice and god bless the man but his time has come and gone .
exactly

Redhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:40 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

And now that hes been gone for a bit, and im older, I can here his Leafs bias when we play the Habs.

Little things like

"...Cole takes a shot at the net.......and its a weak one..."

I burst out laughing at that one. Just a little inflection in his voice where you could tell he was enjoying the game immensely.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:54 AM
trellaine201

Quote:
Yes bob has lost it. He cant follow the puck.

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:56 AM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I was lucky enough to sit in the Broadcast Booth at the Gardens while Bob and Harry called the game, never forget it.

They did have a few cocktails while calling it. Great guys, chatted to us the entire Intermission.
That's awesome!

Cole and Neale are the voices of hockey, to me. They framed the way I understood the game, ya know?

I think that's why it's hard for people to let go of it. It would be easier if they had a capable replacement, but as was mentioned, Cuthbert was let go.

Those two, along with the legend Keith Jackson (Whoooaaa Nellie!!) sparked my interest in wanting to do commentary and analysis.

CrankuptheSnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Winreims

People say Cole's time has come and gone, well Hughson's time never existed! He is a terrible commentator! Cole is the voice of HNIC, mistakes and all. I can handle the errors in the names and him not calling every little aspect of the game BECAUSE I AM WATCHING IT ON TV. Hughson/Simpson prefer to discuss terrible deals the Leafs made in the past and how inferior the Leafs are to 29 other teams in the league.

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote