HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stone Sharpening with SkateMate or other to keep blades sharp?

Old
02-11-2013, 08:28 AM
deeman

vCash: 500
Stone Sharpening with SkateMate or other to keep blades sharp?

I thought I would check and see how many of you guys use a SkateMate, Sweet Stick, EdgeAgain or other stone sharpening tool between sharpening’s to prolong your edge.

Any experience with these good or bad?

Thanks!

Last edited by deeman: 02-11-2013 at 08:46 AM.
deeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:21 AM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman View Post
I thought I would check and see how many of you guys use a SkateMate, Sweet Stick, EdgeAgain or other stone sharpening tool between sharpening’s to prolong your edge.

Any experience with these good or bad?

Thanks!
I borrowed a tool like this from my teammate last weekend. Seemed to work pretty well. Definitely made the edges better.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I use a Miracle Stone, it's a very high quality honing stone. It will de-burr the edges and give you a little extra life.

Skate sharpening tools typically change the shape of the edges. I used one once and couldn't for the life of me stay on my feet. Not sure about the Skate Mate though.

I dunno...I go usually 2-3 months between sharpenings. Honing stone might help but I think I'm just used to it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:52 AM
deeman

2-3 months between sharpenings.......how many hours on the ice is that or how many sessions? Seems like a LOOOONG time, which is great! I see you have your skates profiled, do you think it adds to the longer duration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I use a Miracle Stone, it's a very high quality honing stone. It will de-burr the edges and give you a little extra life.

Skate sharpening tools typically change the shape of the edges. I used one once and couldn't for the life of me stay on my feet. Not sure about the Skate Mate though.

I dunno...I go usually 2-3 months between sharpenings. Honing stone might help but I think I'm just used to it.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:54 AM
shoeshine boy

I have a Sweet Stick that I keep in my bag for emergencies. I've only used it a few times but the key to using it is less is more. it requires a VERY light touch. most people who try it out don't read the directions and put too much pressure on it and/or use it at the wrong angle. if you use it correctly it'll get you through a game, maybe 2 but after that you'll need your skates sharpened properly.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I only skate once a week and rarely feel like I'm losing my edges. Then again maybe it's because I haven't been outdoors much the last couple years, that's a little harder on the edges.

I'm not sure if it's the FBV sharpening, but ever since I switched over (maybe three years ago) I can go forever between sharpenings.

Half the time I don't actually need a sharpening, I'm just in the area and I get lifetime free sharpenings at the place I bought my skates (which they since stopped doing...I will try and keep the skates forever!). Did that this weekend actually, stopped in to get a stick for my kid and they didn't have a wait, I had my skates in the car...done.

I only had the skates profiled to match my old ones. Grafs have an 11' radius and put you on your toes, and I had so much trouble adjusting I went back and had them do a 9' radius and neutral. If/when my steel goes (I've had them three years and maybe halfway through them?), I'll probably have LS2's put on them if it's a wash for the cost between new blades and a profiling vs new holders and blades and a sharpening.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:10 AM
deeman

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=869166

I just found this thread I wouldn've posted this if I saw this previously!! Concensus on this thread is to AVOID them. Seems to have a large majority of guys saying they ruined a decent edge with these.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah I got that from Mod Squad...folks smarter than me hate them. Also got the Miracle Stone tip. The stones at shops are sandpaper glued to a rock, but the Miracle Stone is an actual honing stone where the rock has fine grain in it.

I suppose you could find any flat true honing stone and it would work, but they were cheap to order online.

Here's the website

Old
02-11-2013, 10:15 AM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=869166

I just found this thread I wouldn've posted this if I saw this previously!! Concensus on this thread is to AVOID them. Seems to have a large majority of guys saying they ruined a decent edge with these.
If you manage to ruin your edges with these tools, it's probably because you did it wrong.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:20 PM
JR97

The sweet stick is a good tool of last resort. I rarely use it but when I have it's been a life saver. 1 - 2 gentle swipes. Just enough to roll the edge to restore some bite. The last time I needed I played a period and half with no bite on my right foot inside edge. Damn near crushed our goalie when I couldn't stop. Wiped out a few times trying to turn. A few swipes between periods and I was able to finish the game without any issues.

A buddy on my county league team gets his skates sharpened maybe twice a season and goes to town with the sweet stick before every game. And then he wonders why he can't skate worth a damn.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR97 View Post
The sweet stick is a good tool of last resort. I rarely use it but when I have it's been a life saver. 1 - 2 gentle swipes. Just enough to roll the edge to restore some bite. The last time I needed I played a period and half with no bite on my right foot inside edge. Damn near crushed our goalie when I couldn't stop. Wiped out a few times trying to turn. A few swipes between periods and I was able to finish the game without any issues.

A buddy on my county league team gets his skates sharpened maybe twice a season and goes to town with the sweet stick before every game. And then he wonders why he can't skate worth a damn.
Exactly... it's a tool where you can't get a sharpen before the game but really need one. Couple swipes and you should be good for a game... but you still need to get them sharpened. None of these tools actually replace a sharpen, just can prolong the life of a sharpen for can give you an emergency edge for a game.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:35 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
If you manage to ruin your edges with these tools, it's probably because you did it wrong.
this. I have actually seen guys in the locker room drag a Sweet Stick over their edges as hard as they can because they were too stupid to actually read the directions. used properly these things will get you out of a jam.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote