2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 01:01 AM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Werenski is not committed. Only one 97 is commetted and its none of the players you mention.

One player has been deleted from the OHL Central Scouting list, but he may be added later (deadline for eligibility is coming up fast) but its not Yan or Korostelev.

Korostelev is in.
If you're talking about college commitments, Blacker has definitely committed (WMU).

Old
02-08-2013, 07:27 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
If you're talking about college commitments, Blacker has definitely committed (WMU).
NTDP U17 commitmets. Only one player has commited to that program, although others have been offered. Well aware of Blacker's commitment and other Ontario forwards who have offers.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:39 AM
walker33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Ya Martin is one of the guys they rely on to chip in some offense, so they can seal off the backend and just support the puck like crazy to win games. I love how Boston plays a team game. I like his work ethic. For me I like him as much as any player 5-10 and under. He has excellent skating technique and puck skills. Graham Knott dominates without the puck on his stick and is really entertaining player to watch and work. He sacrifices himself alot. I like Semaio compete level. I like alot of there players. YSE is a great team to watch for me.

What do u think of Schlichting in all aspects? I think there are some varied opinions on this player across the board.
I think he is a heavy hitter when he does make hits they are loud and everyone knows it. Hes great at taking the man with the puck and he knows how to use his long reach. Very fluent skater I can see a team like london taking a stab at him and turning him into a dan girardi type player. Just a great pro with a good head on his shoulders. Hes comes to our facility as well and he is a stand up kid he will be okay moving forward.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:49 AM
wingman22

Quote:
Werenski is not committed. Only one 97 is commetted and its none of the players you mention.

One player has been deleted from the OHL Central Scouting list, but he may be added later (deadline for eligibility is coming up fast) but its not Yan or Korostelev.

Korostelev is in.
We will see tiger. My sources say different.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
We will see tiger. My sources say different.
Hes on the OHL Central Scouting list. Respectfully, not sure what sources you have but to suggest 'hes off the list and not eligible' is simply incorrect.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Korestelev will not be in the o draft, in fact he will play for Russia in the 5 Nations Cup,
I originally missed this. The 5 nations cup is happening right now in Jonkoping Sweden. Korostelev is not on Russia's roster, its a U18 tournament.

http://www.swehockey.se/ImageVaultFi...feb_2013_u.PDF

Im not sure where that info came from. Where you refering to the U17's next year in Cape Breton?

Old
02-08-2013, 08:25 PM
BigBuck

There is also a 5 Nations cup for U17 in JARVENPAA, Finland . Russia beat the US the other day and his name was not in the Russian line up. http://www.usantdp.com/game/game_sheet/4725422

Old
02-09-2013, 10:43 AM
wingman22

Quote:
I originally missed this. The 5 nations cup is happening right now in Jonkoping Sweden. Korostelev is not on Russia's roster, its a U18 tournament.

http://www.swehockey.se/ImageVaultFi...feb_2013_u.PDF

Im not sure where that info came from. Where you refering to the U17's next year in Cape Breton?
End of the season. Best 97s

Old
02-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
End of the season. Best 97s
The U16 in April? Thats in Switzerland and never has the top teams in it.

http://stats.iihf.com/siha/33/index.html

Which specific one are you refering too?

Old
02-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Torts

saw rangers and sta today at hockey day in oakville

standouts for sta were davies obviously and little #9 forgot his name, really small and won't translate to OHL but he seemed to be all offense.

for the rangers spencer, capabianco and petawabano were great. i actually liked the offense that barwell and bzowey (i think) brought. goalie seemed real calm and quick too.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:30 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Blacker has committed to western Michigan. Latest is that weirenski Yan and Greenaway have comitted to us development. Korestelev will not be in the o draft, in fact he will play for Russia in the 5 Nations Cup, Canada does not have a team at that age. Konecney will go ahead Strome.
I think Pete's will take a defensemen or they will take stephens at 5 ( if they make playoffs) with konecney, Strome and Mackenzie gone, he will be the next best forward. Because its a deep defensemen draft, forwards will go early.
Those 3 are not committed. Offers have been on there tables for months and still no commitment for US full ride scholarships or USNTDP team. The Yan rumours were started on USHR twitter page and still no factual news on that front. I think the writing is on the wall for 3. If your right in due time kudos to u.

Korostelev has been OHL eligible for a while now.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:26 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post

standouts for sta were davies obviously and little #9 forgot his name, really small and won't translate to OHL but he seemed to be all offense.

for the rangers spencer, capabianco and petawabano were great. i actually liked the offense that barwell and bzowey (i think) brought. goalie seemed real calm and quick too.
Christian DiFelice.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Needforspeed182

Having watched the STA kids since Novice DiFelice is an example of a talented kid who plays much bigger than his size, he is one is tough skilled kid and has earned his respect among his teammates and peers.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:50 AM
JansenHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post

I also scouted this game. Davies is the top talent on STA. In the second he had a sure goal but the Oakville goalie made a incredible glove save. In the third he scored the only goal of the game from the slot. Great moves to get there and a great shot.

Agree on Spencer and Capabianco. Petawabano was good not great. Still needs to pick up the physical part of his game. Kohler had a good game. Very hard work all game. A few forwards didn't have their A game. The Oakville team is deep with 6 F and 4 D that can really play. McGlynn was in net and had a very good game. Kept the game at 3-0 until Davies shot from the slot. A great glove on a few shots, quick feet and athletic.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Forget about Korostelev's shot, break down the rest of his game over the 200 feet of ice. Its lacking in many ways. His shot misses the net more times than not, he wont have the luxury in the OHL to put up 8 shots a night. How effective is his bomb of a shot if it rarely hits the net? For me the lack of accuracy hurts how I view his shot. His skating needs work. The way he disengages and doesnt work in the defensive zone is also a wart on his game. I think its going to be a challenge to get to him to willingly work in all 3 zones moving forward. In the offensive zone he often does the same thing, he floats waiting for the puck to get to him. Im not as impressed with him now as I was earlier this year when I was not focusing on the details to his game. I think Korostelev going in the 9-15 range makes more sense than #2 overall. In fact if a team selects him there, they have not done there homework at all, unless the Petes have to dive into the depth chart because of reporting issues.
So true. Korostelev looks like a star for 5 minutes then disappears. I could never take him over Strome or Stephens.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:26 AM
skating101

Quote:
Hes on the OHL Central Scouting list. Respectfully, not sure what sources you have but to suggest 'hes off the list and not eligible' is simply incorrect.
You are correct Tiger, however some of my sources suggest his eligibility is under review and the early concession is his eligibility status maybe revoked. Hope this isn't the case very talented player

Not sure what is fuelling the review? Any insight wingman?

Old
02-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
You are correct Tiger, however some of my sources suggest his eligibility is under review and the early concession is his eligibility status maybe revoked. Hope this isn't the case very talented player

Not sure what is fuelling the review? Any insight wingman?
Its too late in the process at this point. The investigation started in September, if there where any issues, he would have been taken off of the draft list by now.

You are right, there is/was an investigation (on three players), but I do believe those are almost complete at this point.

By careful about 'sources'. I see alot of people who are only posting on here because of the age group (I Assume). I've been through this for five years, have seen the investigations on players like Grimaldi, Noeson, Guzik et all. Its very hard to prove a player doesn't belong in a draft unless another CHL team has his rights.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:14 PM
skating101

Quote:
Its too late in the process at this point. The investigation started in September, if there where any issues, he would have been taken off of the draft list by now.

You are right, there is/was an investigation (on three players), but I do believe those are almost complete at this point.

By careful about 'sources'. I see alot of people who are only posting on here because of the age group (I Assume). I've been through this for five years, have seen the investigations on players like Grimaldi, Noeson, Guzik et all. Its very hard to prove a player doesn't belong in a draft unless another CHL team has his rights.
Thanks for your insight Tiger! Conversely my source is imbedded within the OHL not always perfect but a very reliable source.

Thought wingman might have some new insight? He seemed very certain

Old
02-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
Thanks for your insight Tiger! Conversely my source is imbedded within the OHL not always perfect but a very reliable source.

Thought wingman might have some new insight? He seemed very certain
He does, but he's incorrect. There are actually rumors about 2 of the players that he has claimed have made commitments to the U17 team headed to the OHL. I just worry that some are presenting rumors as facts. There are always a significant amount of rumors out there, just not sure how many are legit.

Something may go wrong and Korostelev may loose his eligibility, its a long-shot, and it goes against what I've been told by those in OHL Central Scouting. Everyone in the OHL office and in OHL CS view him as he's in. They have already deleted one player from the list, usually they do these things in one move (as they have in the past).

Its one thing to have a discussion about his eligibility, thats fine, but to suggest 'He's out', thats simply incorrect. He's on OHL CS's top 80 and rated as a AA on the general list. He's very much in.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:08 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
So true. Korostelev looks like a star for 5 minutes then disappears. I could never take him over Strome or Stephens.
Id possibly take Korostelev over Stephens. Not Strome though. I think I might have been a little too critical when I posted that to the masses.

Korostelev deserves a little bit of reserved judgement in my opinion. He got injured late October right when things were heating up for him and his team. He is still getting back to peak fitness and is still working on his timing. He has improved since the Marlies classic which is a good sign. He has been on the PK for JR canadiens through the playoffs and thats good to have on your resume. He still plays with a sleeve on his wrist and forearm. Im sure everything is healed fine, but the mental part of the injury is ususally the last part to forget about. He will get there. His stick handling continues to impress me and his feet appear to be improving a tad. He loves to score goals and he is determined most games to generate his chances to score, usually all on his own. He should flourish with a solid 2 way playmaking center. He has a ton of potential. In the next few years if he fine tunes that rocket and improves the explosion in his feet, he will be scary.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:25 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by JansenHockey View Post
I also scouted this game. Davies is the top talent on STA. In the second he had a sure goal but the Oakville goalie made a incredible glove save. In the third he scored the only goal of the game from the slot. Great moves to get there and a great shot.

Agree on Spencer and Capabianco. Petawabano was good not great. Still needs to pick up the physical part of his game. Kohler had a good game. Very hard work all game. A few forwards didn't have their A game. The Oakville team is deep with 6 F and 4 D that can really play. McGlynn was in net and had a very good game. Kept the game at 3-0 until Davies shot from the slot. A great glove on a few shots, quick feet and athletic.
STA vs Oakville is one of my favourite matchups to watch in league play for sure this year. I hope they square off in the playoffs for a long series. It should be fantastic hockey. The way Connor Walters battles the Mckenzie/Petawabano line, down low, in the corners, front of the net is one of the story lines I like watching play out. Solid shut down Dman. I agree with u on Davies, one of the top forwards for the draft.

I think that goalie Clark is darn impressive as well when he gets the net for Oakville.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:06 PM
skating101

Quote:
STA vs Oakville is one of my favourite matchups to watch in league play for sure this year. I hope they square off in the playoffs for a long series. It should be fantastic hockey. The way Connor Walters battles the Mckenzie/Petawabano line, down low, in the corners, front of the net is one of the story lines I like watching play out. Solid shut down Dman. I agree with u on Davies, one of the top forwards for the draft.

I think that goalie Clark is darn impressive as well when he gets the net for Oakville.
Unfortunately itís more likely STA and Oakville might only meet for a RR game at the SCTAís.

It will make for an interesting weekend though as Brampton, Halton, Grey Bruce and Hamilton battle it out for a cross over game likely against Oakville and STA for a birth at the OMHA Championships in Whitby.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:53 AM
wingman22

Quote:
Id possibly take Korostelev over Stephens. Not Strome though. I think I might have been a little too critical when I posted that to the masses.

Korostelev deserves a little bit of reserved judgement in my opinion. He got injured late October right when things were heating up for him and his team. He is still getting back to peak fitness and is still working on his timing. He has improved since the Marlies classic which is a good sign. He has been on the PK for JR canadiens through the playoffs and thats good to have on your resume. He still plays with a sleeve on his wrist and forearm. Im sure everything is healed fine, but the mental part of the injury is ususally the last part to forget about. He will get there. His stick handling continues to impress me and his feet appear to be improving a tad. He loves to score goals and he is determined most games to generate his chances to score, usually all on his own. He should flourish with a solid 2 way playmaking center. He has a ton of potential. In the next few years if he fine tunes that rocket and improves the explosion in his feet, he will be scary.
In a nut shell you are not beg on defensive forwards. I agree with LuvtoWatch, he has no interest in playing in his own end. I would take A couple of Rebs kids and JrC kids before Korostelev. All three are different forwards, Strome best playmaker by far, Stephens probably best two way player other than Konecney. Korostelev can score, but he disappears when it gets tough.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:

Having seen what Stephens can do playing with the 96 TM last year, he is a sure bet for next year. He looked like one of them, we know that 9 of them are playing in the OHL as 16 yr olds. I can't say Korostolev is a sure bet, OHL coaches won't tolerate a 16 yr old playing from centre ice in.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:40 PM
scout97

My updated 1st round mock draft. Based on viewings up to February 10th. All U.S and school committed prospects included.

1. D/ Sean day
2. D/ zach werenski
3. F/ Travis konecny
4. F/ Dylan strome
5. D/ matt Spencer
6. F/ Luke kirwan
7. F/ Mitchell stephans
8. F/ Nikita korostelev
9. F/ Dennis yan
10. F/ Jordan Greenway
11. F/ Brett McKenzie
12. F/ blake speers