HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Practice - Prust/Pacioretty switch lines

Old
02-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Aceekay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Eller-Desharnais-Cole
Moen-Prust-Armstrong/White

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Bouillon/Kaberle-Diaz/Weber

Would be my line-up
Desharnais should be moved to the wing instead of eller, since eller isn't that bad at faceoffs

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 567
Quote:
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Eller-Desharnais-Cole
Against a team like FLA this would be a good plan.

Against TB on the road, when you face Stamkos and Lecavalier at center for essentially 2/3s of the game, I feel having another line aside from the Plekanec that can play some hard minutes (Moen-Eller-Armstrong) is necessary.

No way you can trust Galchenyuk or Desharnais or Prust at C to play those hard minutes against C's of that quality at this stage.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:14 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

Against TB on the road, when you face Stamkos and Lecavalier at center for essentially 2/3s of the game, I feel having another line aside from the Plekanec that can play some hard minutes (Moen-Eller-Armstrong) is necessary.

No way you can trust Galchenyuk or Desharnais or Prust at C to play those hard minutes against C's of that quality at this stage.
If you're going to play Eller a lot of minutes against top lines, why not give him good wingers?

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Crimson Skorpion
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Nothing really needs to be changed here, so I'm glad the line remains the same.

Switching Pacioretty for Prust takes a away a bit of grit but not all of it, and adds a lot more skill and scoring power. Now Galchenyuk is going to have two guys with quick releases to pass to. If defenseman are quick to cover those two and leave Galchenyuk open, he can utilize his shot as well. If they find chemistry quickly, they'll do damage 5-on-5. Also love seeing Galchenyuk and Gallagher in the top 6. Therrien must adore these two.

Prust-Desharnais-Cole
Hopefully the message is sent to Cole and Desharnais. Minus the first game against Buffalo, Cole and Desharnais have been invisible and missing in action. I think Prust can cover up the defensive unawareness of both Desharnais and Cole, but to what extent? We'll see.

Moen-Eller-Armstrong
Not a fan of Eller being reduced to a 4th line centre but this line HAS done well so far. Armstrong and Moen work hard in corners and when they get the puck back to Eller, he's creative enough to draw in opposing players before passing to the blue-line while Moen and Armstrong are fighting for position in front of the net. It's a hard working line that does do the job well. However, I hope the experiment comes to an end soon. I'd rather see Eller taking Cole's spot on the 3rd line, White come in on the 4th line and Cole sit for a game or two. Maybe that would be the wake up he needs.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Treb

vCash: 867
Quote:

True that, Eller and DD can switch position as need be, just keep the 3rd an offensive line with Eller, DD and Cole in whatever position you need. This line as also the advantage of having a second center when DD gets kicked off the faceoff in the defensive zone.

Treb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Eller-Desharnais-Cole

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Bouillon/Kaberle-Diaz/Weber

Would be my line-up
+1. White needs to play..

Pax Macioretty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:42 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Moen-Eller-Armstrong I'd rather see Eller taking Cole's spot on the 3rd line
I agree with your line combos but can Eller play on the right? People keep on saying
Eller - DD - Cole
or
DD - Eller - Cole
but this is the first time I heard someone mention Eller taking over Cole's position.
If Eller can take over Cole's position then a line of Prust - DD - Eller sounds really intriguing

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Crimson Skorpion
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
I agree with your line combos but can Eller play on the right? People keep on saying
Eller - DD - Cole
or
DD - Eller - Cole
but this is the first time I heard someone mention Eller taking over Cole's position.
If Eller can take over Cole's position then a line of Prust - DD - Eller sounds really intriguing
I don't think he ever has, but you have options at that point, if things don't work out - like switching DD to wing and having Eller take over for centre. It's worth a shot, I think, because having Eller on the 4th line over a long period of time is a waste.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
+1. White needs to play..
No he doesn't, white will be back but this isn't the time.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
Wtf else does Eller have to do to get a chance on a real line with at least one player who can actually stickhandle?
Eller can stickhandle but really the net has to be football size for him to put the puck in it ... stats...51 points in 176 games -8 or -18 not sure, and halak had so much value at the time, he still has much more value then lars,,bad trade !!!

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Eller can stickhandle but really the net has to be football size for him to put the puck in it ... stats...51 points in 176 games -8 or -18 not sure, and halak had so much value at the time, he still has much more value then lars,,bad trade !!!
I haven't heard this before, fresh and insightful thank you.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:53 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
As much as I personally want White to be back in, I have to agree with this. He's had a few chances so far and has hurt our team on several occasions. He needs a longer sit down to reflect and let it sink in. These next 2 teams aren't overall physical so we can likely get away without having him in the lineup.

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Cole can handle some defensive duties.
Eller should center him and DD.

Moen-Eller-Armstrong isn't a necessity, and Eller deserves offensive wingers. It's not just about defending. It's about outplaying your opposing lines.

You get Eller and Plek's line to play versus the tougher opponents, give the kids line 3rd liners and they'll dominate.

In any event, you can always come back to Eller with Moen-Armstrong. I think the guy deserves some recognition. Therrien wanted more from him, and he also said it was a make-break year for him, so, time for Therrien to live up to his side of the deal and give him more offensive opportunities as Eller deserves them (more so than the kids too. Actually, Eller has been our best forward outside Plek these past few games).

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:57 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
I get you are convinced that Eller is not an answer, my question to you is out of those 176 games, how many of them were on 4th or even 3rd line with 12mins or less ice time. High probability of a majority.

I would be very interested to see a comparison between the games he's played in the top 2 lines and 15+mins vs the games when he is in the bottom 2 lines with south of 15mins. I'd be interested to see the results

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:57 AM
BLONG7

Eller should get more TOI.....MT does make changes through the game, which is good, as long as it's not all 4 lines changing...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
As much as I personally want White to be back in, I have to agree with this. He's had a few chances so far and has hurt our team on several occasions. He needs a longer sit down to reflect and let it sink in. These next 2 teams aren't overall physical so we can likely get away without having him in the lineup.
I like white but he still needs time to sit and think to himself, the best thing he can do is forgot about what happened and when he does comeback he needs to play hockey with a clear mind

Old
02-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Bargainbin4Pres

Okay, I like the fact he kept the Pleks line intact... But why in the world can't he put Subban back with Gorges?! Downgrade Diaz to the third pairing and keep playing him on the PP. It's not like he's gonna complain about it, since he'll be playing with MT's own son (which will guarantee him minutes). As for Gorges and Subban, they've played well together last season and they need to reunite. It's not like things are going so well that we can't use some shake-up on D anyway.

Bargainbin4Pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:14 AM
missthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
Wtf else does Eller have to do to get a chance on a real line with at least one player who can actually stickhandle?
Agreed, Eller deserves better than this, What has he done since coming back to warrant 4th lines minutes ahead if DD?

missthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Craig71

Ellers time is coming,relax and wait. DD and Cole deserve to be where they are and the shorter guy may soon be on the block. How is LL health wise? If healthy he will soon be here and Eller will move up the lineup. I don't think DD is in the future plans of the Habs, he has to produce offensively because he can't do much else.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:21 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Eller should get more TOI.....MT does make changes through the game, which is good, as long as it's not all 4 lines changing...
I can see Eller taking some of Chuckie's shifts if needed. He'll be fine.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Per several reporters on twitter, lines this morning:

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Prust-Desharnais-Cole
Moen-Eller-Armstrong

Unfortunately, the same defence pairings.
I totally called the Pacioretty move last week. He's THE guy on the team that has to get going.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:39 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Nothing really needs to be changed here, so I'm glad the line remains the same.
Gionta worries me. He isn't nearly as effective as he used to be.

Quote:
Switching Pacioretty for Prust takes a away a bit of grit but not all of it, and adds a lot more skill and scoring power. Now Galchenyuk is going to have two guys with quick releases to pass to. If defenseman are quick to cover those two and leave Galchenyuk open, he can utilize his shot as well. If they find chemistry quickly, they'll do damage 5-on-5. Also love seeing Galchenyuk and Gallagher in the top 6. Therrien must adore these two.
This is an interesting experiment. I am looking forward to seeing how it works.

Quote:
Prust-Desharnais-Cole
Hopefully the message is sent to Cole and Desharnais. Minus the first game against Buffalo, Cole and Desharnais have been invisible and missing in action. I think Prust can cover up the defensive unawareness of both Desharnais and Cole, but to what extent? We'll see.
Cole and Desharnais have a lot to prove. Maybe Prust can inspire them. If not, I don't know what the next step will be.

Quote:
Moen-Eller-Armstrong
Not a fan of Eller being reduced to a 4th line centre but this line HAS done well so far. Armstrong and Moen work hard in corners and when they get the puck back to Eller, he's creative enough to draw in opposing players before passing to the blue-line while Moen and Armstrong are fighting for position in front of the net. It's a hard working line that does do the job well. However, I hope the experiment comes to an end soon. I'd rather see Eller taking Cole's spot on the 3rd line, White come in on the 4th line and Cole sit for a game or two. Maybe that would be the wake up he needs.
Eller deserves to be higher but at this point I hope he can keep proving himself and gradually move up.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
Jpense pas qu'il a compris encore.

Very excited about MaxPac-AGally-BGally

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Habs

I wonder if they are contemplating a Tinordi for Emelin swap any time soon.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Miller Time

Not a fan...
Maxpac needs to be playing ~20min/night, don't think the kids are ready for that, which means either lots of in-game line shifting or less minutes for a guy that should be among our team leaders in ice time.

Eller deserves a real shot at top 6 role, he's played well enough to earn it, but apparently his versatility compared to DD hurts him...

I'd go:

MaxPac- Pleks- Gallagher
Cole- Eller- gionta
Bourque- galch- desharnais
Prust- white- moen

1st line plays a ton deployed opportunistically, 2nd line gets match-up duties, 3rd line gets "soft" minutes, 4th line plays energy role/minutes.

DD may be a "C", but when ur weak defensively, not winning draws & ur wingers aren't scoring, then there is no reason u don't get shuffled around.
Galch might benefit from having a linemate that reads space & time as well as he does, & bourque's N/S style could be a nice complement.
Prust can move up as needed.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote