HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Bruins planning to offer Rask contract in-season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2013, 08:53 PM
  #76
finchster
Registered User
 
finchster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Belgorod
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 7,236
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I agree with this- makes a lot of sense; only two concerns with Tuukka, he has been injured here and there, is not the biggest guy and Boston would be wise and likely would keep him fresh...and playoffs. He was very poor imo the year Providence was loaded and was the chief culpret in letting Portland come back from down two to take four straight. Rask let in a late goal in Portland with the Bruins up a goal and ready to go up 3-0 in the series, We drove up and sat right in back of Rask on the glass and it was really weak- just horrible and they lost in OT, and repeated the same thing game 4.

He also in game 7 vs the Flyers let in that late goal to give them life at the end of the first in Boston's argualby best period I've seen since Claude was here. They destroyed Philly that period but that goal allowed the Flyers to remain calm and right the ship.

Tuukka has though won a tough series vs Buffalo so thats a good thing.

I like him a lot, think he is a legit number one guy just need to see health, and strong playoff run; but I'd be willing to gamble right now and sign him if he can be had for a fair price. Heard he loves the team and city so should not be a problem
Before I offer Rask 5-6+ million my concern is can Rask be the Bruins best player? I have no doubt he can be a starter, I have no doubt he can be a very good NHL starter, but can he be our best player like Thomas was on many nights? Can he steal games or a playoff round? Can he be the difference between winning and losing night after night? There is a difference between being a good young goaltender, which the NHL seems to have many of these days, and being "the man".

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:22 PM
  #77
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!
 
GloryDaze4877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Sticks (West MA)
Country: United States
Posts: 21,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Before I offer Rask 5-6+ million my concern is can Rask be the Bruins best player? I have no doubt he can be a starter, I have no doubt he can be a very good NHL starter, but can he be our best player like Thomas was on many nights? Can he steal games or a playoff round? Can he be the difference between winning and losing night after night? There is a difference between being a good young goaltender, which the NHL seems to have many of these days, and being "the man".
He's already been the B's best player several nights this season, and has stolen games. The only way you will know about the playoffs is when he gets there.

I realize he played poorly when PRO lost to Portland in the playoffs, but what was that, 08-09, or 4 years ago when he was 21?? There are very, very few goalies that are consistent at that age, and that PRO team did not give up many shots, which I believe was actually a detriment for Rask.

He's at his best when he's seeing a decent amount of shots and into the game. My personal opinion is that it's much harder for a young goalie to function as a backup and work every 4 games, than it is to be the #1.This is why I have believed for the last couple of years that Rask would have no problem taking the #1 role over from TT when the time came.

I think 5 mil is fair, but I'm hoping for 4.75 per.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:29 PM
  #78
WBC8
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
He's already been the B's best player several nights this season, and has stolen games. The only way you will know about the playoffs is when he gets there.

I realize he played poorly when PRO lost to Portland in the playoffs, but what was that, 08-09, or 4 years ago when he was 21?? There are very, very few goalies that are consistent at that age, and that PRO team did not give up many shots, which I believe was actually a detriment for Rask.

He's at his best when he's seeing a decent amount of shots and into the game. My personal opinion is that it's much harder for a young goalie to function as a backup and work every 4 games, than it is to be the #1.This is why I have believed for the last couple of years that Rask would have no problem taking the #1 role over from TT when the time came.

I think 5 mil is fair, but I'm hoping for 4.75 per.
Agreed. He is easily worth 5 but I hope for less. If we get knocked out in the play-offs this year id be willing to bet Rask would be the least of the reasons.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:30 PM
  #79
DJENTLEMAN
Handsome Ralph
 
DJENTLEMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 2,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmont Flavor View Post
The new cap next year is going to have an impact of a deal for Rask. So far....he's earned a 5 mil/year contract, but I can see him in the 4-4.5 area with a bit of a longer term because of it.

Along those lines......how nice is it to cheer for a sports team whose GM appears to be proactive, invested in putting a quality product on the ice and getting good deals done that satisfy both the player and ownership?

Compared to some of the other sideshows out there, Bruin fans are damn lucky to have Peter Chiarelli running things in the FO.
We're also quite lucky to have an owner who will spend up to the cap. While most people don't want to admit it, that in and of itself should tell you enough about Jeremy Jacobs and comments about him should end there until he decides to go back to his old ways. Until that day comes, both he and the Bruins front office will be doing a great job in my eyes.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:42 AM
  #80
jasonbaz77*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 6,075
vCash: 500
Losing Thomas boosted his numbers. His patience ended up working to his advantage. He would have signed for much less before. If they can do 5 mill and lock him up I think it works for both sides. He hasn't proved anything in the playoffs, HOWEVER the Bruins really have zero other options at this point. He is the goalie.

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:53 AM
  #81
RustyBruins72
Registered User
 
RustyBruins72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
Never been a Rask hater but until he does it in the playoffs he has proven nothing. You know who else is a great regular season goalie. Luongo.
not saying that Rask is like this but he has not shown me yet that he is not.
i couldn't agree more with this.

RustyBruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:11 AM
  #82
chuckdobbins
Moderator
 
chuckdobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 22,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Fluto speculated today that Rask will be looking for Carey Price money as a comparable . 6 to 6 million plus for 5 to 6 years.
As he should be. I think Price had a much more proven track record (this is just from memory, so somebody feel free to kill me on that statement) before he signed that big money deal though.

I have been way off with my guesses on almost every player across the entire league for the last couple years, but what the hay...4 years 21 mil is my bid.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:24 AM
  #83
Mr. Make-Believe
Moderator
Pass me another nail
 
Mr. Make-Believe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Erotic Fantasies
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBruin View Post
Losing Thomas boosted his numbers. His patience ended up working to his advantage. He would have signed for much less before. If they can do 5 mill and lock him up I think it works for both sides. He hasn't proved anything in the playoffs, HOWEVER the Bruins really have zero other options at this point. He is the goalie.
Concern for me is far more the length of the term, than it is the cap hit.

I don't like the idea of going five seasons or more. Ideal to me, is three... And we go from there.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:34 AM
  #84
Caballo Blanco
2014 Conn Smythe
 
Caballo Blanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 16,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
As he should be. I think Price had a much more proven track record (this is just from memory, so somebody feel free to kill me on that statement) before he signed that big money deal though.

I have been way off with my guesses on almost every player across the entire league for the last couple years, but what the hay...4 years 21 mil is my bid.
Other than starting more games after being annointed as Jesus Price, he has yet to prove anything.

Caballo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:56 AM
  #85
SPV
Zoinks!
 
SPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
I think that Rask gets about 5 per. I hope a little less for salary cap purposes; but I think this number is more likely. I fear that any more than that will mean we have to say goodbye to Nate Horton, which can't be the case IMO.

I wonder if the Bruins will try to explore moving Rich Peverley in the offseason to get Horton, Rask, and Ference back in the fold and still have some wiggle room. The Bruins have some guys coming through the system that could be moved into a 3rd line role for less than 3.25 million. Wish we could keep the band together; but that's hard to do in a salary cap world.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:01 PM
  #86
finchster
Registered User
 
finchster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Belgorod
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 7,236
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I realize he played poorly when PRO lost to Portland in the playoffs, but what was that, 08-09, or 4 years ago when he was 21?? There are very, very few goalies that are consistent at that age, and that PRO team did not give up many shots, which I believe was actually a detriment for Rask.
I donít necessarily ascribe to the Ďwinnerí argument that because X player has never won in the past they will never win. However, there are many good young goalies in the NHL and I donít believe Rask has necessarily separated himself from the pack so to speak to warrant a huge salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Fluto speculated today that Rask will be looking for Carey Price money as a comparable . 6 to 6 million plus for 5 to 6 years.
If he wants Price money then sign him. If you compare tax rates between Quebec and Mass, 6.5m in Quebec is the same as 5 million in Mass. http://calculatenetsalary.com/ pretty cool website I found for this

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:09 PM
  #87
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,968
vCash: 500
If they're going to make a long term, big dollar contract offer to Rask, I want to see this guy's glove hand improve. He gets beat high glove and glove hand side far too frequently for my liking

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.