HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals: Version IV - Kings & Rangers are low..trade?

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 08:27 AM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
Chris Neil would never be traded to Toronto.
Do. Not. Want.

Unless he is to play the role of Colton Orr's on-ice punching bag

Old
02-11-2013, 08:33 AM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

I want us to trade for a shutdown D-man like Scuderi

Old
02-11-2013, 08:35 AM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

I want Ryan O'Reilly, but that would mean trading Bozak++ or Grabovski++. Both are great players for us

Old
02-11-2013, 08:37 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
Not yet. We have Holzer who is developing like one and Fraser who is playing like one.

If Holzer doesnt progress and Fraser takes a step back then sure. But the way both have been playing lately we don't need a shutdown Dman (at this time). Holzer MAY be that guy longterm.

We need a solid 2-way Dman who can log heavy minutes.... though that should be Jake Gardiner.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:38 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
let holzer develop..

i really believe he can become a top shutdown D man in the NHL he has everything it takes

Old
02-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeCheeseAllDay View Post
I want Ryan O'Reilly, but that would mean trading Bozak++ or Grabovski++. Both are great players for us
No way Colorado looks at either those two as part of a return for O'Reilly. Grabo makes 5.5 million per year, which is probably more than ROR is even looking for in Colorado. Bozak is having a breakout year, but is a free agent this summer so COL could be back in the same boat...trying to re-sign a forward coming off a career season.

If we want O'Reilly, would probably have to part with Gardiner.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
We dont need wingers

Lupul, Kessel, Frattin, JVR, Kulemin and Komarov are our top 9 wingers so far. Not too mention MacArthur.

The only thing we need this summer, is a upgrade at #1 C, then our forwards are set. (Ashton, Colborne, Biggs, Ross, McKegg all guys that could potentially be called up if injuries occur)

On D, I think we actually are decently set.

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Franson
Holzer - Fraser
Kostka - Gunnarsson

That wouldn't be terrible for next season. Komi gets amnestied (as much as I have liked his play in the few games he has played, cap hit can be used elsewhere) and Liles traded (or heck, even amnestied if no one wants him, although I am sure someone would)

In goal, through the first 12 games of the season Reimer seems to be Optimus Reim once again. In terms of back up, I still have faith in Scrivens. However if he is maybe involved in a deal in the summer (possibly apart of a deal to get a center) then we can sign a veteran backup, possibly Theodore?
I don't agree.

I believe we need a RW like Perry on the #1 line.

I firmly believe we would then get the best out of Phil Kessel/Lups if they would see less of the other teams #1 units.

I feel their style of play and ability's would then translate into cup contender level as a 2nd unit, i do not believe they are capable as the first unit.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:42 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
let holzer develop..

i really believe he can become a top shutdown D man in the NHL he has everything it takes

Exactly what I was saying. Let's see what we have in Holzer first. Otherwise we may end up in a Liles/Gardiner type of situation again.

Ex. we go out and trade for a shutdown dman who makes $4M the next 4 years.... while Holzer is basically as good (if not better) at a third of the cost and much younger.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
No way Colorado looks at either those two as part of a return for O'Reilly. Grabo makes 5.5 million per year, which is probably more than ROR is even looking for in Colorado. Bozak is having a breakout year, but is a free agent this summer so COL could be back in the same boat...trying to re-sign a forward coming off a career season.

If we want O'Reilly, would probably have to part with Gardiner.
True, now maybe Grabo as part of a deal for Stastny but never ROR.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
I don't agree.

I firmly believe we would then get the best out of Phil Kessel/Lups if they would see less of the other teams #1 units.

I feel their style of play and ability's would then translate into cup contender level as a 2nd unit, i do not believe they are capable as the first unit.
I think we need top line forwards, regardless of position...so I agree with you.
Perry would be a fantastic signing, as he can actually play either centre or on the wing.

Also...Im not sure the desperation exists to land a top line centre as much as it has in the past. Not saying we couldnt use one, but having three #2 type centres can be a good thing, also.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
True, now maybe Grabo as part of a deal for Stastny but never ROR.
I think if we were to acquire a player like O'Reilly, would have to think Grabo would be moved to make room.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:01 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
On D, I think we actually are decently set.

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Franson
Holzer - Fraser
Kostka - Gunnarsson
I don't see Franson as the answer there. I know many like him, but he just reminds me of a bigger MA Bergeron. I don't see Rielly and Phaneuf being a great pairing either. Mind you if Phaneuf is going to be the stay at home defender (not his greatest attribute) then Gardiner being given the green light makes sense.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
02-11-2013, 09:07 AM
calcal798

Quote:
I don't agree.

This.

Probably why Burke should have gone a lot harder after guys like Kovalchuk, Nash and Parise. A top line player that can actually lead the team is the one thing we are missing from our forward group. Until we get that and are depending on Lupol-Bozak-Kessel to be our number one line, we wont be very competitive.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I don't see Franson as the answer there. I know many like him, but he just reminds me of a bigger MA Bergeron. I don't see Rielly and Phaneuf being a great pairing either. Mind you if Phaneuf is going to be the stay at home defender (not his greatest attribute) then Gardiner being given the green light makes sense.
Franson has been playing better. He moves the puck well and has a great shot, but he is not greatest defensively and needs to play a bit more nasty in front of the net. I really like the Holzer/Phaneuf pairing recently. I think Phaneuf needs a stay at home type defenceman with him. This way he can wander a little more and play more physical.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:27 AM
IBeL13f

Quote:
I don't agree.

JVR - Kadri - Perry
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Komarov - Grabo - Kulemin
McLaren - McClement - Orr/Brown

Trade MacArthur for a pick, and Frattin + Scrivens for Bernier, roll two young goalies with good potential and keep them both happy with equal opportunity.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:37 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
JVR - Kadri - Perry
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel

Trade MacArthur for a pick, and Frattin + Scrivens for Bernier, roll two young goalies with good potential and keep them both happy with equal opportunity.
:drool:

Old
02-11-2013, 09:54 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

id rather keep reimer than trade frattin for bernier

Old
02-11-2013, 10:05 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
JVR - Kadri - Perry
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel

At this point, no.

Frattin isn't going anywhere. He's our 2nd best RW behind Kessel at this point, and trading him would be foolish. Bernier is going UFA at the end of the season anyway, so it's not like we won't have an opportunity to offer him a contract.

I'm all for trading Macarthur, and possibly packaging him with one of our depth D for either a better pick or prospect, or either speed or size in the top-9 (Clowe/Raymond).

Perry is a pipe dream - he's not hitting the market because Anaheim is going to lock him up.

It would have been nice to pull the trigger on Nash, but we'd all be freaking out if he had 9 pts in 11 games while Kadri and Gardiner thrived playing top-6 minutes in CLB. Not to mention we'd have no 1st this year. So yah, it would be nice to have seen BB jump on a move for Nash or Kovy, but I'm still not convinced those moves were the right thing to do at the moment.

Besides, with Frattin emerging as a legit scoring threat with Kadri it forces more teams to respect that line, opening more ice and more opportunity for Kessel.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:12 AM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

Grabovski + Gunnarsson + 2nd
for
Richards

Lupul-Richards-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Frattin
Kulemin-Bozak-Komarov (could possibly be one of the better shut down lines)
McClaren-Mcclement-Orr

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Holzer-Liles
Fraser-Franson

Old
02-11-2013, 10:24 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
At this point, no.

Frattin isn't going anywhere. He's our 2nd best RW behind Kessel at this point, and trading him would be foolish. Bernier is going UFA at the end of the season anyway, so it's not like we won't have an opportunity to offer him a contract.

I'm all for trading Macarthur, and possibly packaging him with one of our depth D for either a better pick or prospect, or either speed or size in the top-9 (Clowe/Raymond).

Perry is a pipe dream - he's not hitting the market because Anaheim is going to lock him up.
It would have been nice to pull the trigger on Nash, but we'd all be freaking out if he had 9 pts in 11 games while Kadri and Gardiner thrived playing top-6 minutes in CLB. Not to mention we'd have no 1st this year. So yah, it would be nice to have seen BB jump on a move for Nash or Kovy, but I'm still not convinced those moves were the right thing to do at the moment.

Besides, with Frattin emerging as a legit scoring threat with Kadri it forces more teams to respect that line, opening more ice and more opportunity for Kessel.
Not necesarilly. Getzlaf is very likely to re-sign in Anaheim, there is a small chance that Perry hits the UFA market. Mckenzie said this very same thing as well.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:28 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
I'd rather Getzlaf hit the market then Perry. We are in a bigger need for a guy like Getzlaf then Perry..

02-11-2013, 10:35 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Grabovski + Gunnarsson + 2nd
for
Richards
No.

Mike Richards reminds me of Mike Peca. Not a bad thing necessarily... but a slightly undersized center, who excels two-way but doesn't have a top notch offensive game to justify almost $6M for the next 8 seasons.

I think Richards is a bit better offensively than Peca for sure (Peca had two years ago 60 points also) , but I DO NOT see Richards as a #1 center any longer. He's a #2 and his career path looks like he will be a #3 in the not to distant future. His offensive game is down the toilet (though that could be in part because LA sucks offensively).

Old
02-11-2013, 10:40 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Not necesarilly. Getzlaf is very likely to re-sign in Anaheim, there is a small chance that Perry hits the UFA market. Mckenzie said this very same thing as well.
Is there that much of a difference between small chance and no chance? Let's not hedge bets on a 5 to 10% chance he hits free agency.

I'm much more open to the M Richards trade, although it would have to be for Grabo.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:47 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Is there that much of a difference between small chance and no chance? Let's not hedge bets on a 5 to 10% chance he hits free agency.

I'm much more open to the M Richards trade, although it would have to be for Grabo.
I like Mike Richards game and style.

It's his contract and career trajectory that turn me off.

I honestly see him as a 2nd line center who's trending towards becoming a 3rd line center in the near future. Similar to Mike Peca (as I just mentioned).

You do not spend $6M for 8 years on that sort of player. No freaken chance.

LA can keep him.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:58 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I'd rather Getzlaf hit the market then Perry. We are in a bigger need for a guy like Getzlaf then Perry..
Yea but chances are Perry will hit the market before Getzlaf. Getzlaf will be Anaheims primary focus. He is the captain, the #1 C among others. As much as I'd like to get him, if either of them hits the free market, it will be Perry, even then the chances are slim. And on top of that, is it realistic that Perry will even sign with us?

The best thing that could happen for us is if Perry says he wants to test free agency, and Nonis can trade for him before the trade deadline (Kuli + 1 in 1st in any year of 2013-2016 that we get to pick + Komisarek). Then we have a shot to lock him up. If we can do that, then this team may be one that can start to be competitive in a year or two.

JvR-Grabo-Perry (1A scoring line)
Lupol-Kadri-Kessel (1B scoring line)
Ashton-Bozak-Frattin (shutdown line)
Mcclement-Komarov-Orr (I love these bottom four guys)
Mclaren

Rielly-Phaneuf (#1 pairing)
Gards-Holzer (#2 shutdown/scoring pairing)
Gunnar-Franson(#3 pairing)
Frasor (Toughness)

Reimer
Backup

The one thing I absolutely would love is having another scoring line that could take pressure off Kessel. Imagine being able to role either one of those lines, knowing that either one can be just as deadly. Who needs a #1C when you can do that.

Closed Thread