HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
McIlrath has been up and down. From the 5 or so games I've seen is that he's adopted pretty well to the professional ranks and is more often a boost to the lineup than he is a liability. Throwing solid hits, fighting well, playing responsible defense and has shown a better than average knack for rushing the puck and making outlet passes.

Occasionally he still goes out of his way to make a hit, or he loses his gap and has been burned a few times. He also gets a little bit lost when he chases a guy into the corner when he shouldn't and it results in bad coverage in front of the net.

TLDR: He's not NHL ready, but continues to show improvement in the areas that he needs to improve in. While he's not on a skyrocketing development curve, he's certainly getting better each year.
That's more what I was looking for, the parts of his game defensively that still need work. My biggest fear(besides injury) is the kids head for defense. We know he's mean, fights, hits, etc. What about his position, does he know what to do? Does he get out of position more often than not?

Sounds like he's doing well, just would like more info than what I can find myself on stat sheets.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
That's more what I was looking for, the parts of his game defensively that still need work. My biggest fear(besides injury) is the kids head for defense. We know he's mean, fights, hits, etc. What about his position, does he know what to do? Does he get out of position more often than not?

Sounds like he's doing well, just would like more info than what I can find myself on stat sheets.
I don't think he's ever going to be a guy who thinks the defensive game on a level like a Staal or McDonagh, but he's getting better at making reads and picking his spots. One thing that Beacon pointed out is his defensive stick work. That was an issue for me in Juniors because he could always out muscle just about any kid he faced. However, he's improved that part of his game significantly. He can really get the stick out into lanes with that wingspan he has.

To maximize his potential, he's going to have to learn to walk the line between reliability and mayhem. Play it safe and simple, and when the time is right, put some fear into the other team.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I agree with everything you're saying TRX.

Good to hear he's using that reach, that to me could be even more important than the muscle. If he keeps opposition on the outside with positioning and reach he won't have to rely on making hits.

Now I want to know if he's taking a lot of stupid minors. That's also an area of concern for me.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
The only minors I care about are hooking and holding. If he's getting called for burying guys, I'm OK with that.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I agree with everything you're saying TRX.

Good to hear he's using that reach, that to me could be even more important than the muscle. If he keeps opposition on the outside with positioning and reach he won't have to rely on making hits.

Now I want to know if he's taking a lot of stupid minors. That's also an area of concern for me.
Depends on your definition of stupid, haha. I think the kid has taken two, maybe three penalties all year that fall into the "lazy" bucket. I.e., tripping, holding, hooking, etc. The games I saw, he was in the box from dropping the mitts, or basically man-handling a guy around the crease. Those are the kinds of penalties I'm okay with from him.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Yeah, I was alluding to the hooking and holding penalties that big guys take if they can't keep up.

Adam McQuaid, Doug Murray play a similar game at the highest level and to me they do it without letting the physicality take over. For instance, Braydon Coburn. Big guy, takes alot of dumb minors when he's really challenged to play defense.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Yeah, I was alluding to the hooking and holding penalties that big guys take if they can't keep up.

Adam McQuaid, Doug Murray play a similar game at the highest level and to me they do it without letting the physicality take over. For instance, Braydon Coburn. Big guy, takes alot of dumb minors when he's really challenged to play defense.
Yeah in that regard he's been just fine.

It'll be interesting to see how he pans out. He has the right kind of character to be the player we want him to be. It's just a matter of rounding out his game. He seems to be on the right track in that regard. Hoping for a bigger and meaner Brooks Orpik. Orpik used to be a really nasty guy, but he's toned it down over the years to become a better shutdown guy.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

How did columbus draft Delisle in the 4th round? He has not been good.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Yeah in that regard he's been just fine.

It'll be interesting to see how he pans out. He has the right kind of character to be the player we want him to be. It's just a matter of rounding out his game. He seems to be on the right track in that regard. Hoping for a bigger and meaner Brooks Orpik. Orpik used to be a really nasty guy, but he's toned it down over the years to become a better shutdown guy.
I worry about the injuries, which is also a reason I think Orpik tuned down his game.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Some scouts can't help but fall in love with size.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:44 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Some scouts can't help but fall in love with size.
His numbers in the E look really good. He needs to get a longer look to sink or swin in CT.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I worry about the injuries, which is also a reason I think Orpik tuned down his game.
Injuries from the physicality, or recurring ones?

Old
02-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Same reason we took Sam Noreau in the 5th round. Sometimes these kids develop later and turn into viable prospects and sometimes they don't.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Injuries from the physicality, or recurring ones?
I'm not worried about his past injuries, they don't seem to be the kind to 'act up' because of his physical play.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Same reason we took Sam Noreau in the 5th round. Sometimes these kids develop later and turn into viable prospects and sometimes they don't.
I'm not too worried about Delisle because like you said some kids develop later than others. Noreau is looking real solid for a 5th rounder.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:41 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
I'm not too worried about Delisle because like you said some kids develop later than others. Noreau is looking real solid for a 5th rounder.
He seems to have some toughness to him, maybe the next Bickle?

Old
02-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Noreau is legit bad ass look up his jr fights and his wars with the undertaker if he becomes a NHL player it will be a steal

Old
02-11-2013, 02:31 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Noreau is legit bad ass look up his jr fights and his wars with the undertaker if he becomes a NHL player it will be a steal
Yeah, Noreau has quietly had a great year and he is as tough, if not tougher than McIlrath which says a lot.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:43 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
He's a big, tough guy with a little bit of skill. You take a flier hoping he develops into something useful. You have about a 2% chance of drafting a regular NHL player with a fourth round pick, so it's no great loss to have a guy like him bust.

He could still become a good AHL player. Every team needs organizational guys like that. He's only 22.

It's just pain.
Old
02-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yeah, Noreau has quietly had a great year and he is as tough, if not tougher than McIlrath which says a lot.
Did Noreau ever fight Troy Vance?

Still wondering who's the better Dman, Noreau or Vance?

Old
02-11-2013, 02:59 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Did Noreau ever fight Troy Vance?

Still wondering who's the better Dman, Noreau or Vance?
Not that I know of. Players are literally running from Noreau and have been since he was 18. He is ridiculously skilled in the fighting department.

It has actually allowed him to work on other parts of his game quite a bit because he has seen more TOI.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Not that I know of. Players are literally running from Noreau and have been since he was 18. He is ridiculously skilled in the fighting department.

It has actually allowed him to work on other parts of his game quite a bit because he has seen more TOI.
And we got him in the 5th round, exactly where you should be getting these kind of prospects

Old
02-11-2013, 03:35 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
And we got him in the 5th round, exactly where you should be getting these kind of prospects
Oh you......

Noreau can't skate like McIlrath can. It's like comparing Erskine to Chara (not saying that is there ceilings or anything about potential).

However, I sure hope they both make it to NYC. I would love to have (2) big guys back there who can handle the rough stuff and play the game.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:38 PM
E-Train

Quote:

Exactly. His fight numbers have dwindled because no one dares to challenge him. Throws absolutely vicious lefts. Beating down 19 year olds at 17.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:41 PM
E-Train

McIlrath on the 2nd pair and Noreau on the 3rd means no one is crashing Hank without taking a beating.

Closed Thread