HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Out of Towner possibly to a game

Old
02-11-2013, 11:17 AM
BabchukCanon

vCash: 500
Out of Towner possibly to a game

Hi, Hurricanes fan in peace coming to ask about going to a Devils game.

I am traveling for work to the Basking Ridge area for work and realized the Hurricanes were in town tomorrow night and now want to go to the game. How's parking for the game and how much should I expect this to cost me if I were to go? How much are average seats (nothing fancy just good sight lines and all)?

I know the horror stories of Newark, but really want to check out the Prudential Arena and being that this is probably the only chance I'll have to see the Hurricanes this year since I moved to Chicago, I think I'm going to take it.

Thanks in advance and good luck!

BabchukCanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

I know you are in peace, but quite ironic when you mention the "horror stories of Newark" when you're from Chicago of all places.

Parking runs from basically $15 to $30 right next to the arena.

Here are the links to Ticketmaster and StubHub.
If you don't find anything there within your liking there are always scalpers outside at Champ Plaza (Mulberry & Edison).

http://www.stubhub.com/new-jersey-de...-2013-4222925/

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/02...4&minorcatid=9

Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:29 AM
One7nine

There are no horror stories of Newark when it comes to the Arena. I have been a season ticket holder since before they moved to Newark and I have never heard anything bad happening besides your normal fan fights.

One7nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:44 AM
BabchukCanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
I know you are in peace, but quite ironic when you mention the "horror stories of Newark" when you're from Chicago of all places.

Parking runs from basically $15 to $30 right next to the arena.

Here are the links to Ticketmaster and StubHub.
If you don't find anything there within your liking there are always scalpers outside at Champ Plaza (Mulberry & Edison).

http://www.stubhub.com/new-jersey-de...-2013-4222925/

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/02...4&minorcatid=9
I like in the nice part of Chicago - there's like no crime by me. The war zone is like 30-40 blocks away . But definitely understand the comment .

Is there any section in particular I should stick too for best experience?

Old
02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Depends on your budget but honestly you can't go wrong with your seat. Every seat is a good view.

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabchukCanon View Post
I like in the nice part of Chicago - there's like no crime by me. The war zone is like 30-40 blocks away . But definitely understand the comment .

Is there any section in particular I should stick too for best experience?
As far as premium seating goes, The Goal Bar seats are very cool, they do not include any free drinks or food, but a good view, nice comfortable seats and a full cash bar behind you.
It's where they do the Devils pregame, intermission and post game shows.

The Club Seats include free food through the end of the 2nd period and also have full cash bars.

The Acela Club Restaurant front row Ledge includes better free food and 2 drink tickets to be used on anything in their full cash bar.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:24 PM
NjDevsRR

Balcony seats where the Canes shoot twice would be great for your first time at the Rock. Very affordable seats too.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:32 PM
HenriquesJawLine

Go to Dinosaur BBQ before the game. Steps away from the Rock

HenriquesJawLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

The arena is safe, and around the arena. Only thing I ever heard about were people getting attacked after a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert. It's in the safest part of the city though. I think you can park on the lot on Halsey st for $7 bucks still? Or you can take the train to Penn Station, and it's a 10 minute walk tops. Not sure if there is a stop near Basking Ridge though.

The seats from about 10 rows up behind either goal are pretty affordable. Shouldn't run more than $90 bucks including the tax they put on them.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:07 PM
KDN

There's a train in Basking Ridge, but the line it's on connects into Broad St instead of Penn Station. I'm not sure how the walk is from there, but it's technically an option.

Considering the distance and time involved, I'd prefer to drive in from out there.

KDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDN View Post
There's a train in Basking Ridge, but the line it's on connects into Broad St instead of Penn Station. I'm not sure how the walk is from there, but it's technically an option.

Considering the distance and time involved, I'd prefer to drive in from out there.
The walk from Newark Broad is "doable" but a pain. Not recommended, especially at this time of year. Last thing you want to do when its this cold out. Just take the light rail from Newark Broad to Newark Penn if that's the way to go about it. From experience though, as I live near towns on the Morris/Essex lines which only go to Newark Broad, its usually just easier to drive all things considered. My options are drive 25 minutes and park right next to the arena or drive 10-15 minutes to a train station with limited parking and then take a 20-30 minute train... Just not really worth it especially since savings are minimal.

I would say he's best off driving and leaving early enough in case he has a little issue figuring out the directions (or to go eat somewhere next to the arena ahead of time).

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:31 PM
NjDevsRR

Just drive to the game if you have a rental car. Much easier, less time consuming.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:46 PM
funetiklee

I usually park in a lot on Washington Street for free (Lafayette > turns into William St past Broad > 3rd right onto Washington > parking lot on the right before Maiden Ln).
Kinda sketchy - there's no attendant, the gate's always been open - but i gotta put a disclaimer to park there at your own risk.
Here's the lot outlined in red (as you can see there's a bunch of cars in it during the day but on game nights it's always empty).

here's a street view of the lot:

there's also a good amount of street parking in the side streets between that lot and broad st. I've paid for parking very infrequently over the past few years and it's only been when I'm running late.

funetiklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:47 PM
HenriquesJawLine

Don't listen to the above guy, just park at one of the garages around the arena for 15 bucks

HenriquesJawLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:51 PM
NjDevsRR

I advise both the OP and the guy who parks on Washington St. to never park there. Thats just dumb.

Good safe $15 parking garage on Raymond Blvd. Very safe area a few blocks from the arena.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Cowbell232

You're in town for a work thing, so you probably don't really have many other expenses, and not a lot of chances to see your favorite team live?

Plunk down the extra bucks, drive right into the lot connected to the Prudential Center on Lafayette St. Walk right into the building and enjoy yourself.

Or pay a couple bucks less, and drop $20 on parking right across from the arena, and go over to Edison Ale House or Dino BBQ right next to arena for some great food, or be adventurous and take a 2-3 block walk across a highway to Hell's Kitchen to get some local Devils color in, take an interesting walk 2-3 blocks across Broad St to Hobby's Deli to visit a Newark landmark and institution, and one of the last bastions of the Jewish deli from a different time.

Either way, don't bother with train schedules and missing trains, etc. or with shady free parking blocks away. You'll enjoy your night more. And check out the other threads about this kind of thing to see where to go to try to meet your favorite 'Canes. Opposing players are very accessible at our rink.

If you need any more help or further directions just drop me a PM, and I'll give you my email if you need. Enjoy Newark.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:16 PM
funetiklee

Free parking 4 blocks from the arena > $15 parking 4 blocks from the arena
And the lot is right behind Hobby's.
And you might just get to see one of the "horror stories of Newark" you speak about.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by funetiklee View Post
Free parking 4 blocks from the arena > $15 parking 4 blocks from the arena
And the lot is right behind Hobby's.
And you might just get to see one of the "horror stories of Newark" you speak about.
While your advice may be good for someone familiar with the area, it's not sound for a first timer to The Rock.

I believe the lot near Hobby's on Halsey is closed due to the ongoing construction of the Teacher's Village.

For an out of towner, I would take Cowbell's advice, park close to The Rock and walk to one of the restaurant/bars in the area.

I would suggest Edison Ale House or Dino BBQ for someone's first visit mainly because of the location right next to The Rock.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:29 PM
funetiklee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
While your advice may be good for someone familiar with the area, it's not sound for a first timer to The Rock.

I believe the lot near Hobby's on Halsey is closed due to the ongoing construction of the Teacher's Village.

For an out of towner, I would take Cowbell's advice, park close to The Rock and walk to one of the restaurant/bars in the area.

I would suggest Edison Ale House or Dino BBQ for someone's first visit mainly because of the location right next to The Rock.
yeah i was only semi-serious. i was also going to recommend one of the upper corner sections since he asked about seats

Old
02-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Marv4Life
Worth billions...

Why would anyone want to walk from Broad Street Station to the arena when they can take the light rail or bus is beyond me. Pure stupidity unless you're that desprate to save a couple of bucks.

Avoid anything west of Broad and Market until the Teacher's Village is complete. That's what I tell visitors especially those who aren't used to low-class urbanism. There's a reason why people complain about the location of the new Courtyard by Marriott.

Marv4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv4Life View Post
Why would anyone want to walk from Broad Street Station to the arena when they can take the light rail or bus is beyond me. Pure stupidity unless you're that desprate to save a couple of bucks.

Avoid anything west of Broad and Market until the Teacher's Village is complete. That's what I tell visitors especially those who aren't used to low-class urbanism. There's a reason why people complain about the location of the new Courtyard by Marriott.
The Courtyard location is fine, on the better side of Broad St at least and right next to the attached parking deck.

When did you move to Philthy BTW?

Old
02-11-2013, 06:11 PM
RHilla619

OP, don't park in the "free" lot posted above especially if you have never been to Newark before. We wouldn't want you to get lost on the way back after the game lol.

There is plenty of safe and affordable parking lots located on Mulberry street (the main street the rock is on) right across from the arena your going to pay $30 which is nuts IMO, so head further down Mulberry st towards the Newark Court House and there is a bunch of $15-20 safe and secure lots there that put you a 3 minute walk from the stadium. 2 Pregame places to check out for a first timer would be Edison Ale House or the Dinosaur BBQ, both places are a good time and right next to the stadium.

Ticket wise I would check out stubhub for a great deal on a ticket for tomorrow, theres 1 ticket on stubhub right now thats pretty much center ice in the mezzanine that would run you about $40 total, which is half of face value.

Hope this helps and enjoy the game tomorrow

RHilla619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:03 PM
BabchukCanon

Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up going to the game and getting seats in 225 I think it was. I had Hobby's before the game and it was a pretty good Pastrami. I think Perry's in Chicago is a little better, but the pickles were fantastic. Other than a lot of profanity at random times because of seat disputes I saw, it was a good experience. The Rock is a beautiful arena and is much better than MSG or Nassau. I still like PNC a little more because it's less vertical, but other than that great experience!

Old
02-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabchukCanon View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up going to the game and getting seats in 225 I think it was. I had Hobby's before the game and it was a pretty good Pastrami. I think Perry's in Chicago is a little better, but the pickles were fantastic. Other than a lot of profanity at random times because of seat disputes I saw, it was a good experience. The Rock is a beautiful arena and is much better than MSG or Nassau. I still like PNC a little more because it's less vertical, but other than that great experience!
Glad you enjoyed it! At least for your sake you got to see a win! Don't mind our or at least my hatred of the Canes on here. It's the team I hate! Not the fans!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:51 PM
BabchukCanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Glad you enjoyed it! At least for your sake you got to see a win! Don't mind our or at least my hatred of the Canes on here. It's the team I hate! Not the fans!
It's all good. The thing I don't understand fully is the hate of the Rangers. I know you'd probably have to live here to understand. but for some reason it just seems weird to me to spend so much of the game talking trash about them. I went to NC State and Carolina fans refuse to acknowledge us and it boils our blood more - is it something similar to this? That said, I met some really nice fans, and was a great experience overall. The win really helped this too.

Forgot to say, I ended up parking by Hobby's for free on the street. I was kind of scared to do so more so because the rental car I ended up having was pretty incredible (Convertible Camaro) and was worried I was in the wrong area (it did seem a little sketch there), but all was well. Overall would give the experience a "Would do again" A- if not for the crazy sequence I witnessed with because of the seat dispute.