HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Penguins - Bolts

Old
02-10-2013, 11:41 PM
sparxx87

vCash: 500
Penguins - Bolts

Brett Connolly for Derek Pouliot

Pittsburgh needs a winger, Connolly could be a long term option for Crosby.

I'm not all that familiar with the Bolts organization, but I don't see any high end defense prospects in the system, would they value one Pouliot?

Could this be the basis for a deal? Expand if necessary.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
I'm not all that familiar with the Bolts organization, but I don't see any high end defense prospects in the system, would they value one Pouliot?
They did draft Slater Koekkoek a few spots after Pens took Pouliot. So they do have atleast one higher end D-prospect.

I'd say the value should be close enough but I think Tampa would prefer to keep Connolly. Yzerman's first pick as a GM and developing nicely this year in AHL.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:33 AM
SEALBound

Kennedy+Jeffrey+3rd

for

Malone+Purcell

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:38 AM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Kennedy+Jeffrey+3rd

for

Malone+Purcell
Tampa won't do that.

As for the OP, Pouliot's success in the WHL combined with how high the Pens are on him will make it hard for him to go. Can't see him being traded straight up for a forward.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:49 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Tampa won't do that.

As for the OP, Pouliot's success in the WHL combined with how high the Pens are on him will make it hard for him to go. Can't see him being traded straight up for a forward.
Fair enough, I just think Brett Connolly might be one of the few prospects you consider moving Pouliot for.

Connolly was regarded by some as a potential 1st overall pick in the 2010 draft, but a hip injury limited him to 16 games that year or he likely would have gone higher then 6th. He was the first player to score 30 goals in the WHL as a 17 year old since Patrick Marleau. Elite offensive talent and plays with an edge. He could be the perfect fit for Crosby.

Do you think the deal could be expanded to get something done?

Old
02-11-2013, 03:44 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

I think it's a fair deal. But I think Shero is a lot higher on Pouliot than we may know, so I doubt he'll be traded anytime soon.

Maybe something like Dumoulin + for Connolly could work. Dumoulin is probably about as NHL ready as Connolly is, very solid defensively and has some offensive potential too.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:52 AM
Jacko95

I would say the value of Connolly and Pouliot is even.
But Tampa isn't in real need for a defense prospect as we have 3 NHL ready guys in Barberio, Gudas and Korobov as well as Koekkoek in the backhand. it's a good proposal but it won't happen

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:57 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I think it's a fair deal. But I think Shero is a lot higher on Pouliot than we may know, so I doubt he'll be traded anytime soon.

Maybe something like Dumoulin + for Connolly could work. Dumoulin is probably about as NHL ready as Connolly is, very solid defensively and has some offensive potential too.
I like Dumoulin a lot but he isn't fetching us a recent top-10 pick that's developing nicely. Even if that + is a 1st round pick, it's still not enough to get Connolly from Tampa. To get Connolly we'd need to give up one of Pouliot, Morrow or Despres - Dumoulin wouldn't be good enough main piece to get Connolly. And even with those three, getting Connolly from Yzerman would be tough, even if the value would be there.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:43 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
I like Dumoulin a lot but he isn't fetching us a recent top-10 pick that's developing nicely. Even if that + is a 1st round pick, it's still not enough to get Connolly from Tampa. To get Connolly we'd need to give up one of Pouliot, Morrow or Despres - Dumoulin wouldn't be good enough main piece to get Connolly. And even with those three, getting Connolly from Yzerman would be tough, even if the value would be there.
Maybe. But when there's a need teams are willing to pay a price. Tampa traded a good prospect in Carter Ashton for freakin' Keith Aulie last trade-deadline. Dumoulin is not much worse (if not better actually) than Despres, he's just lacking NHL experience right now. I think he'd fit like a glove and could help Tampa right off the bat.

I'd understand if they wouldn't want to do it, but I think it could be a win-win for both teams.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:02 AM
Honour Over Glory

The only person I would want from Tampa Bay right now is Ryan Malone, mostly because he has chemistry with Malkin and he would fit in with this team quicker than any other person, there's familiarity there.

Not sure what it would take, but I would definitely be ok with losing a combination of Jeffrey, Tangradi, Kennedy, and 2nd round pick in 2013.

Or..

Kennedy + Tangradi + 2nd for Ryan Malone.

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:05 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Maybe. But when there's a need teams are willing to pay a price. Tampa traded a good prospect in Carter Ashton for freakin' Keith Aulie last trade-deadline. Dumoulin is not much worse (if not better actually) than Despres, he's just lacking NHL experience right now. I think he'd fit like a glove and could help Tampa right off the bat.

I'd understand if they wouldn't want to do it, but I think it could be a win-win for both teams.
Niskanen would probably be of more value to them, he's 25, finally back on track and signed to a decent contract. That and he helps them now, he's not some kid with 0 experience and what makes you think he's better than Despres? The moment he shows that at the NHL level, I'll believe it. Until then, it's a matter of what one Pens fan in our fan base, likes over another.

For cap purposes - Niskanen + Kennedy for Malone + late pick.

Then again, looking at the last few games without Letang AND Niskanen, I think we're all understanding his value right now.

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Brett Connolly for Derek Pouliot

Pittsburgh needs a winger, Connolly could be a long term option for Crosby.

Could this be the basis for a deal? Expand if necessary.
Gonna have to say no. DePo is the only natural PPQB in the entire organization.

If he was traded I would hope the Pens would go after a player like Rattie. He's going to have a hard time fitting in on a stacked St. Louis squad.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:18 AM
Zbynek

Seems really counterproductive from the Penguins perspective. We are in the win now mode and if we plan to move our top prospects it should be in a package to acquire NHL-proven wingers.

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:27 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
The only person I would want from Tampa Bay right now is Ryan Malone, mostly because he has chemistry with Malkin and he would fit in with this team quicker than any other person, there's familiarity there.

Not sure what it would take, but I would definitely be ok with losing a combination of Jeffrey, Tangradi, Kennedy, and 2nd round pick in 2013.

Or..

Kennedy + Tangradi + 2nd for Ryan Malone.
I'd consider that last one. I'm not that high on Tangradi, but moving Malone around for a kid and maybe changing the identity of this team a little bit wouldn't be a bad thing.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:34 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

What's this? Pittsburgh is going to move another puck-moving D for a winger?

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:37 AM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Joe Morrow says hello

i would do the trade from a pens perspective

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:56 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post

If he was traded I would hope the Pens would go after a player like Rattie. He's going to have a hard time fitting in on a stacked St. Louis squad.
Except Letang? Joe Morrow's skillset is that of one who could likely run a PP as well. If you don't have a guy like Letang then you have reason to be worried, but why worry about giving up a kid who could potentially be as good as the guy you already have? Scoring winger is a significantly bigger need then mobile offensive defenseman.

Connolly has much, much higher upside then Rattie and he's much closer to NHL ready. Rattie is a pure goal scorer where as Connolly has a much more complete tool box. Connolly can distribute, score, hit, skate, grind.. Not to mention Rattie's skating could be an issue, it was accentuated on the big ice in the WJC this year. A guy his size has to move better to be successful in the NHL, got a lot more work to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
Seems really counterproductive from the Penguins perspective. We are in the win now mode and if we plan to move our top prospects it should be in a package to acquire NHL-proven wingers.
He played in the NHL as a 19 year old. From my understanding he lost his job to Cory Conacher but he could be a perfect fit in for a team like Pittsburgh with less depth on the wings.

NHL proven wingers will come with significantly higher price tags. He's already a better player then Tangradi or Boychuk and is 3 years younger.

All trades involve risk, but this one has the potential to pay off huge. Connolly will help the team more, and much sooner then a Pouliot would. He possesses elite offensive ability and could be a long term option, much like a James Neal where you acquire a player before he breaks out.

Like all young players, he needs to work on his defensive game and play without the puck, but he'll be far and away the most talented winger on the Penguins. Not necessarily the best, but the most offensively gifted and only going to get better.

Upside - Imagine Neal but a better passer/playmaker and much better skater. He is actually a natural centreman but projects as a winger in the NHL.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 134
I actually think something could be worked out between these two clubs. They're natural trading partners with strengths and needs that are similar. Value of that is probably close-ish, but at the same time I don't love it.

Follower of Yzlam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:57 AM
The YzerJesus
HoseEmAllAround

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Niskanen would probably be of more value to them, he's 25, finally back on track and signed to a decent contract. That and he helps them now, he's not some kid with 0 experience and what makes you think he's better than Despres? The moment he shows that at the NHL level, I'll believe it. Until then, it's a matter of what one Pens fan in our fan base, likes over another.

For cap purposes - Niskanen + Kennedy for Malone + late pick.

Then again, looking at the last few games without Letang AND Niskanen, I think we're all understanding his value right now.
I would do this deal. I like what Kennedy brings, and Niskanen isn't that bad either. Malone injured himself playing pre-game soccer yesterday, and has been very much invisible this season so far. Not that that should deter you from making this deal

If I were Yzerman, I'd take that deal. I'd give it a little more time, but I'd take it in the future if Malone is still not producing.

The YzerJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
Except Letang? Joe Morrow's skillset is that of one who could likely run a PP as well. If you don't have a guy like Letang then you have reason to be worried, but why worry about giving up a kid who could potentially be as good as the guy you already have? Scoring winger is a significantly bigger need then mobile offensive defenseman.

Connolly has much, much higher upside then Rattie and he's much closer to NHL ready. Rattie is a pure goal scorer where as Connolly has a much more complete tool box. Connolly can distribute, score, hit, skate, grind.. Not to mention Rattie's skating could be an issue, it was accentuated on the big ice in the WJC this year. A guy his size has to move better to be successful in the NHL, got a lot more work to do.

He played in the NHL as a 19 year old. From my understanding he lost his job to Cory Conacher but he could be a perfect fit in for a team like Pittsburgh with less depth on the wings.

NHL proven wingers will come with significantly higher price tags. He's already a better player then Tangradi or Boychuk and is 3 years younger.

All trades involve risk, but this one has the potential to pay off huge. Connolly will help the team more, and much sooner then a Pouliot would. He possesses elite offensive ability and could be a long term option, much like a James Neal where you acquire a player before he breaks out.

Like all young players, he needs to work on his defensive game and play without the puck, but he'll be far and away the most talented winger on the Penguins. Not necessarily the best, but the most offensively gifted and only going to get better.

Upside - Imagine Neal but a better passer/playmaker and much better skater. He is actually a natural centreman but projects as a winger in the NHL.
You nailed it on Connolly, he is absolutly NHl ready now and is just hold back in the AHL to learn how to be the go-to-guy instead of playing third-line minutes, he could play with you right away and he will be a hell in a few years.So it would even help you in your win now mode

Old
02-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:

YOur not going to get Connolly with a quantity trade. It'll be an equalishly regarded prospect.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:50 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
You nailed it on Connolly, he is absolutly NHl ready now and is just hold back in the AHL to learn how to be the go-to-guy instead of playing third-line minutes, he could play with you right away and he will be a hell in a few years.So it would even help you in your win now mode
So is that a yes from this Tampa fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
YOur not going to get Connolly with a quantity trade. It'll be an equalishly regarded prospect.
For sure. If they're trading their best prospect it'll be for another player with big upside at another position. Dumoulin is a solid prospect, but not on the level of Brett Connolly.

Tampa won't wanna trade this guy. For Yzerman to accept, it'll take something Pittsburgh doesn't wanna trade. Pouliot is a player I think Yzerman would consider it for. Koekkoek is a very good prospect, but doesn't have the elite offensive potential that Pouliot does.

I know it'll be tough to let a player like that go, but Letang on the roster and Morrow in the pipe affords them the opportunity to make this deal and address a bigger need. Shero has accumulated a few really good defense prospects with the intent (IMO) to parlay them into forwards, much like he did with Alex Goligoski. In a year or two Connolly's price tag will likely be through the roof. Trading for him before he breaks out is a risk, but one worth taking considering the state of the franchise. Pouliot doesn't bring any guarantees either.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:53 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

I'd take the Malone deal. Pens are one of the very few teams he would probably waive his NMC for. And I think he needs a change of scenery.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
So is that a yes from this Tampa fan?

For sure. If they're trading their best prospect it'll be for another player with big upside at another position. Dumoulin is a solid prospect, but not on the level of Brett Connolly.

Tampa won't wanna trade this guy. For Yzerman to accept, it'll take something Pittsburgh doesn't wanna trade. Pouliot is a player I think Yzerman would consider it for. Koekkoek is a very good prospect, but doesn't have the elite offensive potential that Pouliot does.

I know it'll be tough to let a player like that go, but Letang on the roster and Morrow in the pipe affords them the opportunity to make this deal and address a bigger need. Shero has accumulated a few really good defense prospects with the intent (IMO) to parlay them into forwards, much like he did with Alex Goligoski. In a year or two Connolly's price tag will likely be through the roof. Trading for him before he breaks out is a risk, but one worth taking considering the state of the franchise. Pouliot doesn't bring any guarantees either.
As I sad before the value is even, it's like always everbody has the fear his team loses the trade. I would be okay with it, but I don't want to see Connolly go.
That was the same with the Ashton-Aulie trade, not many were happy with the trade after Aulie wasn't even able to crack our AHL teams roster last playoffs and now we look like the lucky winners, because he plays well in the NHL and Ashton struggles in the AHL.

So it's just the fear to lose such a trade.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:14 PM
OCPenguin

On paper, the OP's idea is probably equal value. But, I'm not sure I like trading prospect for prospect in this instance. While our system is lacking on prospect wingers, I'd just as soon package a D prospect along with a first round pick to get a young guy that has had success in the NHL (example Evander Kane even though Winnipeg wouldn't do this - again, an example) instead of hoping Connolly materializes into a long term solution.

I will pass, even though its probably a fair deal.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote