Bruins reflect on Tim Thomas

Old
02-10-2013, 10:31 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Clode's Homie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
Well yeah, I don't think anyone believes he was actually building a bunker. It's just an exaggeration, taking someone's belief and making a joke/pushing it to the extreme. Kinda like I don't think Ference goes around hugging trees all the time.
....I have the evidence. I have the pictures. I have the video.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Who brought up Ali? That was mine! I made that analogy a few months ago. Mostly to just piss people off, and illustrate some of the hypocrisy when it comes to the 1st amendment. No reasonable person would seriously compare what Ali went through in the 1960's, w/ the repercussions of outing yourself as a republican in Massachusetts in 2011. I mean, seriously.

[several paragraphs snipped to save space]
Neely08, I don't agree with every twist and turn of your argument, but it's a truly excellent post, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The parallels you make btwn Ali & Thomas are compelling, but I must say, they seem quite unlike the parallels others here have made (and which I was reacting to). Yours seem to be based on the arc of their athletic careers and their unorthodox techniques, much more so than on their political actions and the ensuing reactions. I find your case much more convincing.

Thanks for showing up with such a great response.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Mazzie

In my experience, guys like Thomas who have strong convictions, also stick to their principles, keep their word at all costs, etc. I seriously doubt Thomas suits up for the NYI this year, because that would be interpreted as saying one thing and doing another.

Now everyone is going to say, well what about honoring his contract then? Well, I don't know. He obviously had to justify doing it for himself, and I don't think it was to "stick it" to the Bruins. The only thing I know for sure is these questions are going to be hashed and re-hashed on these boards for years to come.

Mazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:36 AM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzler View Post
Okay, I'll take Thomas on my team and some of you guys can have what ever politically correct goalie you want want on your team. My goalie has proven he can win a cup. Can yours? That's the bottom line.
but but but, he doesn't believe in what I believe in so he's not the norm. But then again i'm so for pushing for those who aren't in the norm to be the new norm so therefore perhaps i'm an advocate of TT and his beliefs. My god i need an aspirin.

Bravo Timmy! Best goalie I ever got to see play in a B's uni and had the best run I've ever seen from any goalie.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Over the volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzie View Post
In my experience, guys like Thomas who have strong convictions, also stick to their principles, keep their word at all costs, etc. I seriously doubt Thomas suits up for the NYI this year, because that would be interpreted as saying one thing and doing another.

Now everyone is going to say, well what about honoring his contract then? Well, I don't know. He obviously had to justify doing it for himself, and I don't think it was to "stick it" to the Bruins. The only thing I know for sure is these questions are going to be hashed and re-hashed on these boards for years to come.
What did he say though? He didn't retire. Just said he wanted to focus on his family right now.

I don't think he has any illusions about avoiding misinterpretation. Hell, his one short statement about the White House visit said it had nothing to do with who was currently in office, yet everyone walked away thinking he didn't go because he hates Obama.

Over the volcano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:22 AM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

i wish he did retire so he could of at least earned some of the **** he's getting

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliciouspie View Post
when placed in contrast with such controversial ideas as "don't destroy the environment, that's not cool" and "gay people are okay to play sports" you'll forgive me if i don't think that an ethos that in many ways boils down to "minorities scare me" isn't worth treating in the same way
I've tried real hard to avoid posting in this thread, other than to say that I remember Tim Thomas as a great goaltender, so you'll forgive me if I ask for evidence that Tim Thomas said the bolded.

Roll 4 Lines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Rocket Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliciouspie View Post
this got a couple chuckles out of me, welldone

look, on the one hand, i kind of agree with you inasmuch that people should be respectful of other people's opinions: for example, you and i could have a well reasoned talk about, say, the effects of a minimum income and what that might mean to the economy

i'm cool with that

on the other hand, what thomas believes in is so far off the reservation as to be totally asinine and inconsistent as a worldview and i'm not sure what else to call it

i'll call it inconsistent and asinine if it makes everyone feel better
Contradiction 101.

Reminds of a quote from a humorous movie.

"There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch!"

Donnie Shulzhoffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
Contradiction 101.

Reminds of a quote from a humorous movie.

"There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch!"
I do like your mojo, baby

Number8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:23 AM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
I've tried real hard to avoid posting in this thread, other than to say that I remember Tim Thomas as a great goaltender, so you'll forgive me if I ask for evidence that Tim Thomas said the bolded.
He never did. That is the go-to attack from the Left.

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Mazzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
What did he say though? He didn't retire. Just said he wanted to focus on his family right now.

I don't think he has any illusions about avoiding misinterpretation. Hell, his one short statement about the White House visit said it had nothing to do with who was currently in office, yet everyone walked away thinking he didn't go because he hates Obama.
I feel the same way.

I was referring to him saying he was taking the year off. If he suits up for NYI this season, that could easily be interpreted as his taking the year off having something to do with the Bruins organization.

Mazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Kaoz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Yeah.. people like you are a big problem of what's wrong with this Country unfortunately.

You can disagree with them without calling them dumb. Don't be ignorant.
I'm not sure at what point opinions became sheltered from judgement simply because they're opinions, but I assume it happened around the same time they started giving out medals for last place.

Yay tolerance! At least they tried.

As for Timmy, he kinda made it about politics so there's no point blaming the media or anyone else. He wanted to make a very public statement and did. I could care less what his politics are honestly, leaving the team in a lurch left a bad taste in my mouth. That said, very easily one of the best goalies I ever saw, and very glad he was a Bruin.

Last edited by Kaoz*: 02-11-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote