HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Browsing Craig's List 20-24.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2013, 03:23 PM
  #51
Hawaiinleaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Honolulu
Country: United States
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
I was thinking Gunnarson or Franson and i think in this environment of teams desperate for D we would for certain land a first

Mac a high 2nd

That gives us a 15th 1st and another behind it and 2 2nds

A package of our #15,2nd + Blacker/Finn/Percy would get us into the top 8 and a shot at Monahan. Then we keep the 2nd first and pick whomever..

I would even consider 15th, 1st, Percy to get Barkov

like it or not we need a #1C

Hawaiinleaf is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 03:37 PM
  #52
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
I was thinking Gunnarson or Franson and i think in this environment of teams desperate for D we would for certain land a first

Mac a high 2nd

That gives us a 15th 1st and another behind it and 2 2nds

A package of our #15,2nd + Blacker/Finn/Percy would get us into the top 8 and a shot at Monahan. Then we keep the 2nd first and pick whomever..

I would even consider 15th, 1st, Percy to get Barkov

like it or not we need a #1C
I wouldn't move Franson, at this point. He's actually starting to prove he belongs on our blueline. He's the only reliable option on the back end who can get the puck to the net on a consistant basis, and shoot the puck below the hips while he's at it.

I also just don't see the point of blowing the whole wad of picks for one. If we've got a mid-1st, and two or three 2nd's, I might package the higher two 2nd's for a late 1st, if the deal is there, but not peddle them all. The first two rounds have solid talent in them, and having a few 2nd rounders to go along with a pick in the 11-15 range could yield a GREAT draft for us.

Something like....

1 (14). Mantha/Pulock/Erne/Nichushkin/Nurse
2 (44). Tristan Jarry/Eric Comrie/Chris Bigras/Ian McCoshen
2 (52). Taylor Cammaratta

I mean, I'm pulling numbers out right now for draft picks, but you get the picture. It could be well worth stocking up on 2nd's this year, and actually using them in that round.

I love Barkov and the other centers, but in reality, if we can come away with a solid scoring/net driving winger, a solid goalie prospect/two-way or shutdown D-man, and another high offensive upside center like Cammaratta (who I think will go a LITTLE higher than 52), we're looking at a great couple rounds for the organization.

I really want to see us us a 2nd or 3rd on a goalie like Jarry or Comrie. I like Spencer Martin as well, so any would be fine.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 03:43 PM
  #53
Hawaiinleaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Honolulu
Country: United States
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
I hear ya..

the one thing the Leafs have lacked is true blue chip talent until Reilly arrived

This draft we could grab another...

One thing is certain the Leafs have to many players and more than one is going to be traded

Hawaiinleaf is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 03:53 PM
  #54
facelessjoe1990
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Does anyone know how long until Monahan can be the #1 center we need? If at all?

facelessjoe1990 is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 03:55 PM
  #55
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
I hear ya..

the one thing the Leafs have lacked is true blue chip talent until Reilly arrived

This draft we could grab another...

One thing is certain the Leafs have to many players and more than one is going to be traded
Yeah, I think we'll see some movement, more towards the trade deadline in April. I think maybe 2 or 3 will be moved to make way, and clear space, and we should end up with a few more picks (hopefully).

I've wanted a pick in the top 5 of this draft since early last year, but I'm much more hopefuly we're picking later, because I'd rather be in the playoffs, and still get a solid player.

Gauthier is another I'd like around 15-20. He could be a GREAT 3rd line center with his skillset down the road. That's something we're also missing, is a REAL 3rd line center. Bozak should be there now, but we lack the top line guy as well.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 03:57 PM
  #56
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1990 View Post
Does anyone know how long until Monahan can be the #1 center we need? If at all?
Nothing is guaranteed.

I would say he plays another year in junior after this year (most likely), and have a look at him again at the following camp.

No reason to rush a kid into responsibilities that are currently over his head. We need to be patient. You see how it's worked with Kadri, and that should be the path we take with all prospects who aren't sure-fire starters in the league. Patience, and allowing them to come along properly is key.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 04:37 PM
  #57
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
The Jackets could be in store for a franchise changing draft if LA, NYR and their own pick are all in the top 14.

I predict the Rags will improve but miss the playoffs... LA will get better but not enough to make it and the Jackets... Well they will be in the bottom 5.

I think it plays out like this:

3. Drouin
8. Shinkaruk
12. Nurse

not a bad rebuild nor draft... Man i'm jealous of the Jackets

on a side note Calgary is destine to get MacKinnon! Book that!

Panthers/Avs will get Seth!


Last edited by Rockinz: 02-10-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Rockinz is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 04:52 PM
  #58
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
The Jackets could be in store for a franchise changing draft if LA, NYR and their own pick are all in the top 14.

I predict the Rags will improve but miss the playoffs... LA will get better but not enough to make it and the Jackets... Well they will be in the bottom 5.

I think it plays out like this:

3. Drouin
8. Shinkaruk
12. Nurse

not a bad rebuild nor draft... Man i'm jealous of the Jackets

on a side note Calgary is destine to get MacKinnon! Book that!

Panthers/Avs will get Seth!
Add Jones to Kulikov and Gudbranson... Damn.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 05:21 PM
  #59
S2S
Come at me bros
 
S2S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,180
vCash: 500
Cmon, Columbus doesn't need all 3 picks! Let's take one from them!

S2S is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 06:03 PM
  #60
facelessjoe1990
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
I think I heard there would be an NBA style draft. The bottom 14 have all the same chance at number one. So does that mean even if were in 14th place we still have a chance at number 1?

facelessjoe1990 is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 06:37 PM
  #61
TheMadHatTrick
Registered User
 
TheMadHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
At 16 with those players taken before?

1) Morrissey
2) Lazar
3) Domi
How would you say Morrisey compares to Rielly? I've only seen a few highlights but he seems to have a superior shot. Not sure where he rates in the other categories though (skating, passing, IQ, etc.)

TheMadHatTrick is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 06:48 PM
  #62
Drew311
Van Man
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
How would you say Morrisey compares to Rielly? I've only seen a few highlights but he seems to have a superior shot. Not sure where he rates in the other categories though (skating, passing, IQ, etc.)
The bottom 14 teams will have a chance to draft 1st overall, but the odds differ for each draft spot. I'm not sure the exact odds for each draft spot, but it's something along the lines of:

1st - 40%
2nd - 25%
3rd - 18%
4th - 12%
5th - 8%

And so on. Again, those are not the exact percentages, but by the time you get down to the 14th spot the percentage is minuscule, something like 0.8%.

Drew311 is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 07:10 PM
  #63
Terrence
Registered User
 
Terrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,200
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
How would you say Morrisey compares to Rielly? I've only seen a few highlights but he seems to have a superior shot. Not sure where he rates in the other categories though (skating, passing, IQ, etc.)
His shot is better but not miles better. He's a great skater, has excellent vision and makes smart decisions with the puck. He's very similar to Rielly in that sense. He's more physical than Rielly and will throw hits in open ice. He still needs to get stronger and work on his defensive game. I really like him and see him as a top 15 pick.

Terrence is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 07:50 PM
  #64
Drew311
Van Man
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,812
vCash: 500
Does anyone have a scouting repot on Toninato's teammate Brendan Harms? He's leading Fargo in scoring and is draft eligible. Looks like he has good size, just wondering if anyone knows anything about him and where he may go in the draft?

Drew311 is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 08:07 PM
  #65
mapes
Moderator
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 23,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Its clear the leafs have extra assets to gather more picks

McCarthur is surplus and should garner a late 1st or high 2nd

The team has 9 D thats 2 too many so who goes and for what in return? Another 1st is likely for one if not both extra D


Come draft if were 15th Nonis could put a good package of picks to move up top 10 and maybe even add a player like Gunnarson 15th pick plus a 2nd for 6th overall?

We could still get Monahan with a package given the team has numerous non core assets to trade now
He won't get a first and I think he's a free agent so won't get a high 2nd either. Why would a team way out of the playoffs deal a 2nd for him?

mapes is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 08:10 PM
  #66
mapes
Moderator
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 23,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1990 View Post
I think I heard there would be an NBA style draft. The bottom 14 have all the same chance at number one. So does that mean even if were in 14th place we still have a chance at number 1?
No I think it's same odds to move up from before but you move up to first not just 4 spots. So 14th overall has like a 0.5 percent chance

mapes is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 09:40 PM
  #67
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
The bottom 14 teams will have a chance to draft 1st overall, but the odds differ for each draft spot. I'm not sure the exact odds for each draft spot, but it's something along the lines of:

1st - 40%
2nd - 25%
3rd - 18%
4th - 12%
5th - 8%

And so on. Again, those are not the exact percentages, but by the time you get down to the 14th spot the percentage is minuscule, something like 0.8%.
It's likely going to be more along the lines of 1st overall gets a 25 percent chance at winning, 14th gets like 0.5 percent chance at winning and the rest fit in between. Very similar to the NBA.

40 percent would be too high and leave too little percentage wise for the next 13 teams.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 09:46 PM
  #68
Terrence
Registered User
 
Terrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,200
vCash: 1026
Current odds via http://www.mynhldraft.com/2012-nhl-draft-lottery-odds/

1) 25.0%
2) 18.8%
3) 14.2%
4) 10.7%
5) 8.1%
6) 6.2%
7) 4.7%
8) 3.6%
9) 2.7%
10) 2.1%
11) 1.5%
12) 1.1%
13) 0.8%
14) 0.5%

Terrence is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 10:04 PM
  #69
Drew311
Van Man
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Current odds via http://www.mynhldraft.com/2012-nhl-draft-lottery-odds/

1) 25.0%
2) 18.8%
3) 14.2%
4) 10.7%
5) 8.1%
6) 6.2%
7) 4.7%
8) 3.6%
9) 2.7%
10) 2.1%
11) 1.5%
12) 1.1%
13) 0.8%
14) 0.5%
That just doesn't seem like enough of a chance for the worst team to get the 1st overall pick. Oh well, realistically all the bottom five team are terrible and need the help.

Drew311 is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 10:09 PM
  #70
buntek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I wouldn't move Franson, at this point. He's actually starting to prove he belongs on our blueline. He's the only reliable option on the back end who can get the puck to the net on a consistant basis, and shoot the puck below the hips while he's at it.

I also just don't see the point of blowing the whole wad of picks for one. If we've got a mid-1st, and two or three 2nd's, I might package the higher two 2nd's for a late 1st, if the deal is there, but not peddle them all. The first two rounds have solid talent in them, and having a few 2nd rounders to go along with a pick in the 11-15 range could yield a GREAT draft for us.

Something like....

1 (14). Mantha/Pulock/Erne/Nichushkin/Nurse
2 (44). Tristan Jarry/Eric Comrie/Chris Bigras/Ian McCoshen
2 (52). Taylor Cammaratta

I mean, I'm pulling numbers out right now for draft picks, but you get the picture. It could be well worth stocking up on 2nd's this year, and actually using them in that round.

I love Barkov and the other centers, but in reality, if we can come away with a solid scoring/net driving winger, a solid goalie prospect/two-way or shutdown D-man, and another high offensive upside center like Cammaratta (who I think will go a LITTLE higher than 52), we're looking at a great couple rounds for the organization.

I really want to see us us a 2nd or 3rd on a goalie like Jarry or Comrie. I like Spencer Martin as well, so any would be fine.
Great post, agree with everything here!

It's even better if Eakins sticks around for a couple more years as well.

buntek is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 10:21 PM
  #71
BertCorbeau
Moderator
 
BertCorbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Current odds via http://www.mynhldraft.com/2012-nhl-draft-lottery-odds/

1) 25.0%
2) 18.8%
3) 14.2%
4) 10.7%
5) 8.1%
6) 6.2%
7) 4.7%
8) 3.6%
9) 2.7%
10) 2.1%
11) 1.5%
12) 1.1%
13) 0.8%
14) 0.5%
I think the best part is that they eliminated the "can only move up 4 spots" so even if the Leafs miss out and are 14th, they could get lucky and end up with the 7th or 8th overall pick

BertCorbeau is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 10:22 PM
  #72
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buntek View Post
Great post, agree with everything here!

It's even better if Eakins sticks around for a couple more years as well.
He will be absolutely key in making sure our prospects, as they progress and transition to the pros, develop the mental and physical requirements to play key roles for the organization moving forward.

I love RC's coaching style, it's just a shame that someone is going to snap up Eakins soon enough, and I can see that being a team like Washington or Columbus. The Jackets, especially, could use a coach like Eakins with all of the youth they'll have coming through. It's also a low-pressure market. That's where I see him ending up.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 10:33 PM
  #73
Terrence
Registered User
 
Terrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,200
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
I think the best part is that they eliminated the "can only move up 4 spots" so even if the Leafs miss out and are 14th, they could get lucky and end up with the 7th or 8th overall pick
Is that the way the league is going to do it? I don't know. There is more than one way to do it.

1) Just lottery off one ball and whoever wins gets #1st overall and the rest of the draft order is determined by standings (aka you can only fall one spot)
2) Lottery off every pick in the draft so the order is whatever order the balls are drawn.
3) A hybrid of these methods and drawing a certain amount of balls like say the first 3 or 5 picks. I know the NBA draws the first 3 picks and picks 4-14 are determined by standings.

I just don't know of any official confirmation from the league.

Terrence is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 09:01 AM
  #74
Dark Passenger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
He will be absolutely key in making sure our prospects, as they progress and transition to the pros, develop the mental and physical requirements to play key roles for the organization moving forward.

I love RC's coaching style, it's just a shame that someone is going to snap up Eakins soon enough, and I can see that being a team like Washington or Columbus. The Jackets, especially, could use a coach like Eakins with all of the youth they'll have coming through. It's also a low-pressure market. That's where I see him ending up.
Didnt WAS and CBJ just replace coaches in the summer? Blue Jackets are rebuilding, post Rick Nash. Oates is like the 4th coach in two years in Washington. I have a feeling if they keep struggling it wont be the coach they dump, will be some players.

This is one area we should be using our financial clout. Eakins has done a masterful job with those players in the AHL. Give him NHL-type wages to stick around. Having young players step in and win a job at the NHL level is actually saving the club money.

Dark Passenger is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 11:06 AM
  #75
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist
 
The Mentalist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,588
vCash: 500
Justin Bailey could make a scout's reputation by drafting him at 15-20, he scored a goal the other day that reminded me of Mats Sundin, roofed it on a brakeaway.

I'm going to pimp this guy hard, may have to tell my scout buddy to whisper in Mo's ear.

Good kid too.

The Mentalist is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.