HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Letang for a legit 1st line winger

Old
02-11-2013, 12:40 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
I'm a fan of Letang, but only to some extent. Just how good is he offensively if you take off the two best forwards from his team? Is he still a 50+ point dman?

I'm also quite concerned by his total ineptitude to run a PP. That's a pretty big minus for a defenseman that is meant to be an offensive juggernaut. He has average defense, too.

Still, he's part of the elite and he's on a great contract. From a habs point of view, I'd probably offer something along the lines of Pacioretty + Markov to fulfill their immediate need of a PPQB, Markov being arguably the best one at that in the league. It also allows them to keep a strong defense and give them a shot at the cup until the younger players are ready to assume bigger roles. Pac is a young power-forward on a great long-term contract that could, in my opinion, easily give 35/70+ seasons on a consistent basis playing on Crosby's wing.
i wouldn't even give that offer a first thought if Markov didn't suffer tons of injuries in his career.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:41 AM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
2. Girardi is all star D. Not complete as to offense, but excels at not only shot blocking but shadowing, checking, etc. He's not webber, but he gets the job done and is legit 1D.

3. I have no interest in Girardi and Stepan for Letang + or Neal +. Again, we are trading away the best player in the deal and we have to add?
Both of these statements are completely laughable.

Which fanbase overvalues their players more, Edmonton or New York?

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:52 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
he was actually quoting OCPenguin's post. OCPenguin pointed out that the Pens would be the ones having to add and he wanted to know why.
Oh, my bad. That makes more sense!

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:39 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Why would Pittsburgh have to add in this. Letang isn't going anywhere, but this one is somewhat absurd.
I didn't say they would have to add or subtract. I was merely asking for a status more in terms of value to determine how much Bruins fan devalue Letang/overrate Lucic because its difficult to have anyone think of anything rational on this board.

But thank you...

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:53 AM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
Letang and Kunitz for Streit and Moulson
Don't quit your day job

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Both of these statements are completely laughable.

Which fanbase overvalues their players more, Edmonton or New York?
Oilers by an insanely long shot.

Followed closely by the Rangers and Leafs.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:05 AM
Zbynek

Doesn't really make sense to trade Tanger.

I can't really think of any winger, even an elite one, that I would trade Letang for 1 for 1.

That NYI proposal was pretty funny though.

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Honour Over Glory

Someone thought the Pens won a game or two without Letang and that he was expendable, the past 2 games should show anyone that the Pens are absolutely useless without his vision offensively from the defensive end. He gives teams another person to keep an eye out for, respect the blueline. Right now, the blueline is a joke, the Pens pass it there and the opposing teams pressure the hell out of them knowing they have no hard shot or skill to really get out of trouble the way Letang can.

Letang has blossomed at a rapid rate into a top 5 defenseman in the league. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but not by much. People forget where he was drafted, the way he plays, you'd think he was a top 15 pick.

Letang's in the group of untouchables on the team, with Crosby & Malkin.

The sooner people realize it, the less headaches we'll have in this thread, as in...there really is no discussion. Value wise, it's higher than most people outside of the Pens fan base, think.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:05 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Fair enough.

The OP worked on the assumption that moving Letang for a top W was possibly worthwhile for Pens. That is the assumption we are all speaking to; whether or not Letang (a D of his calibre) should actually be moved (for the return of only a single F of comparably high quality) is another question, one compounded by supply and demand.

The Fs on NY you would want --- Nash, Gaborik, Callahan and on potential, Kreider, are unavailable, not because Letang isn;t worth any of those guys, he is, but because NY needs more, not less snipers, even more than a superior puck moving D like Letang.
So you see offers like Perry for letang, but Perry is UFA at season's end. There are a handful of possibly do-able matches, but that does appear to result in coke for pepsi, or robbing peter to pay paul because of the supply and demand issues.

So while it was an entirely appropriate ? to ask, the OP hopes to achieve a conclusion that is either not robbing peter to pay paul, or is do-able in spite of that being the case.

To avoid this construct, I thought outside the box. I said, taking into account the totality of the circumstances, moving salary, etc., what new variables in the equation might work...

[more nonsense removed]
Should have stopped after the bolded. You don't want to give value, you want to give pieces.

Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Neal are not available from Pittsburgh. The pieces you are offering range from very good (Girardi, Staal) to solid (Stepan) to unnecessary (Boyle). But they aren't getting two from the list of unavailable players.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Flat Stanley

Well we beat the Caps and proceeded to get owned in back to back games against a team we were neck and neck with in the division, Devils are a really good team and Bylsma is an overrated coach who was taken to school by the Devils, but we are a completely different team with Letang out of the lineup. I would say those 2 games prove that Letang is one of our most important players and a 1st line winger won't make the team better without Letang.

/thread

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:42 AM
MacWinnon

Letang for O'Reilly + Downie? Not sure what his value is.

MacWinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:01 AM
mwalluk

Letang for Letang.

End thread.

Not happening this year, spark discussion this time next year if Letang doesn't resign.

mwalluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Garbage Goal

Trying to think what expendable assets the Flyers have. I can't think of any.

Sad face.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:13 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Trying to think what expendable assets the Flyers have. I can't think of any.

Sad face.
im sure they have plenty of expendable players, but none that will get you Letang

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:15 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeskog2Semin View Post
Letang for O'Reilly + Downie? Not sure what his value is.

This is a no. Not close.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:09 PM
MacWinnon

Quote:
This is a no. Not close.
I feel like the value is off, but how is it exactly "Not close"?

Old
02-11-2013, 08:38 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Guess it depends on how much you think the whole no contract thing affects ROR value. You will however get a much better return from one of the teams desperate for a 2LC for him than from Pittsburgh, who would not put Letang in the discussion at all.

TorstenFrings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:42 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:

1. He isn't signed and God knows what ridiculous amount he is looking for based on one good year.
2. We already have three quality centers, so we don't need another.
3. I need to see O'Reilly do what he did in 2011-2012 again before I consider him a legit player. I'm very skeptical of him.
4. While I like Downie, he really isn't a big need for the third line.
5. Letang is a Norris finalist type defenseman, so I want an overpayment coming back. O'Reilly and Downie isn't an overpayment.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:39 PM
MacWinnon

Quote:
1. He isn't signed and God knows what ridiculous amount he is looking for based on one good year.
2. We already have three quality centers, so we don't need another.
3. I need to see O'Reilly do what he did in 2011-2012 again before I consider him a legit player. I'm very skeptical of him.
4. While I like Downie, he really isn't a big need for the third line.
5. Letang is a Norris finalist type defenseman, so I want an overpayment coming back. O'Reilly and Downie isn't an overpayment.
I'm not saying it's overpayment in the least. But with O'Reilly you could slide Malkin to the wing or something possibly. This is also assuming he'd sign with Pittsburgh, I wouldn't say this if it was expected he were to be a rental.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
I'm not saying it's overpayment in the least. But with O'Reilly you could slide Malkin to the wing or something possibly. This is also assuming he'd sign with Pittsburgh, I wouldn't say this if it was expected he were to be a rental.
Pens didn't slide Malkin to wing for Staal, so why would they for ROR? I can't fathom Shero trading Letang. Period.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
They weren't (and aren't) #1 defensemen.
I don't think Letang is either. But he's the closest thing we have to one, and we can't afford to move him at this point. It might be necessary next year when he's looking for a new contract (depending on his demands). But it's not now. And the only guy who we have that's close enough to replace him is Niskanen. And while he's played damn good this year, he's not Letang.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
The Pens don't want to slide Malkin to the wing full time. He plays wing on occasion when they send him & Sid out at the same time but that's about it.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:47 PM
MacWinnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
The Pens don't want to slide Malkin to the wing full time. He plays wing on occasion when they send him & Sid out at the same time but that's about it.
Oh okay, I didn't know the situation there.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Someone thought the Pens won a game or two without Letang and that he was expendable, the past 2 games should show anyone that the Pens are absolutely useless without his vision offensively from the defensive end. He gives teams another person to keep an eye out for, respect the blueline. Right now, the blueline is a joke, the Pens pass it there and the opposing teams pressure the hell out of them knowing they have no hard shot or skill to really get out of trouble the way Letang can.

Letang has blossomed at a rapid rate into a top 5 defenseman in the league. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but not by much. People forget where he was drafted, the way he plays, you'd think he was a top 15 pick.

Letang's in the group of untouchables on the team, with Crosby & Malkin.

The sooner people realize it, the less headaches we'll have in this thread, as in...there really is no discussion. Value wise, it's higher than most people outside of the Pens fan base, think.
If Niskanen was playing, it would be a slightly different story. It's not the same, but he at least brings a lot of the same abilities that Letang has. Missing both has really hurt our blueline. Probably closer to a top 10, maybe top 15.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:00 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I don't think Letang is either. But he's the closest thing we have to one, and we can't afford to move him at this point. It might be necessary next year when he's looking for a new contract (depending on his demands). But it's not now. And the only guy who we have that's close enough to replace him is Niskanen. And while he's played damn good this year, he's not Letang.
Letang not a #1 D-man?

I guess there are only like 5 #1 D-men in the league then

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote