Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Game # 10 Bruins ( 7-1-1 ) @ Barfalo (5-6-1 ) Part Deux

Old
02-11-2013, 11:16 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
amazing weekend for the Bruins- they survived both the blizzard and John Scott.

I was worried the Bruins would be intimidated and Marchand looked like he felt bad about scoring that first goal, but other than that the Bruins made it out alive from the Big Bad Buffaloes

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:05 PM
TCL40

Quote:
Dobby ? I prefer Khudini
Pretty sure that is his actual nickname-he has it on his goalie mask.

And I cant complain about either effort he has made this season-I am pretty sure there are teams out there who would love to have him as a back up.

One thing I noticed last night compared to the previous game with the Sabres-the defense was definitely more solid, but each line was really back checking well-and the back check frustrated the Sabres. I think when this team really lets speed beat them, they are often lazy about the back check, but when they are back checking the other team-even if it has some speed, can't generate much.

Just wish the darn PP would be somewhat productive. I don't demand a #1 in the league PP, but I would at least like to see them have a PP good enough that other teams care if they take penalties. Right now I am not really convinced any team is worried about the Bruins PP.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:12 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
amazing weekend for the Bruins- they survived both the blizzard and John Scott.

I was worried the Bruins would be intimidated and Marchand looked like he felt bad about scoring that first goal, but other than that the Bruins made it out alive from the Big Bad Buffaloes
Must admit I'm pretty shocked the Bruins didn't go near Scott. I guess you just know when you meet your match fight wise.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Must admit I'm pretty shocked the Bruins didn't go near Scott. I guess you just know when you meet your match fight wise.
Why bother. Losing anyone for 5 minutes for Scott is a vicotry for the Sabres..

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:15 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Why bother. Losing anyone for 5 minutes for Scott is a vicotry for the Sabres..
Just used to the Bruins being the meanest dog in the kennel I guess...Parros and Orr did fine vs Scott...Not used to the Bruins turning the other cheek.

Plus, I kinda like fights.. HAHAHA

Old
02-11-2013, 12:22 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Pretty shocked they went near him in the first place. Pure Plug. Dropping the gloves with him does the Sabres a favor every time whether you win the fight (Orr, Parros) or not (Thornton).

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Just used to the Bruins being the meanest dog in the kennel I guess...Parros and Orr did fine vs Scott...Not used to the Bruins turning the other cheek.

I didn't see Scott trying to pick a fight. Maybe I missed it. I did see the Bruins skating past him like he was a revolving door. Win the game, make Scott look stupid. Win/win.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:31 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I didn't see Scott trying to pick a fight. Maybe I missed it. I did see the Bruins skating past him like he was a revolving door. Win the game, make Scott look stupid. Win/win.
Yeah he didn't do anything...didn't try to start anything, even when he had a chance to with McQuaid..

Old
02-11-2013, 12:31 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Pretty shocked they went near him in the first place. Pure Plug. Dropping the gloves with him does the Sabres a favor every time whether you win the fight (Orr, Parros) or not (Thornton).
Would be nice to take some clean runs at him...knock him on his ass... He would prolly take some stupid penalties..

Old
02-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Therick67

Quote:

I love the fights also. If I were GM, Steve MacIntyer would have been here before Scott had served his 5 min for the Thornton beating.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
My thoughts exactly. Why play into the other team's strengths? They want the Bruins to lose self-discipline and spend time chasing after vendettas.

Screw that. Expose them for the weak team they are. Without Miller, it would have been a blowout.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:37 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Would be nice to take some clean runs at him...knock him on his ass... He would prolly take some stupid penalties..
Why bother? We're a much better team than them. We have Cup aspirations, they're asphyxiators. We take clean runs at Scott, they get their feelings hurt and take questionable runs at our talented players.

Just beat them on the ice and in the standings. Everyone else does.

Record should still show that the one regulation loss we have is the night we decided to load up on fighters and engage John Scott. I disagree that we're a team full of tough guys, I think we're more a talented team that takes care of each other.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
I honestly dont know if Ruff allows him to touch the puck.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:54 PM
RedBruin

Quote:
Maybe... don't know. I was disappointed nobody went after Stafford in some way or the other. As for Scott, not sure any revenge was necessary. He won a fight fair and square and was very classy (hate that word, especially in relation with hockey ) about it. Marchand made him look silly skating around him, did it for me

RedBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Quote:
Yeah he didn't do anything...didn't try to start anything, even when he had a chance to with McQuaid..
Had Scott pushed the issue, I have no doubt McQuaid would have obliged. I actually think he'd have fared a lot better than Thornton did, too.

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
RedBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
I honestly dont know if Ruff allows him to touch the puck.
Didn't he have a (relatively) clean breakaway in the first game as well ?

RedBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:45 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
no way Jose- they were told to let him play. All you had to do was watch that one shift by the Bergeron line and see how bad he is. Before last nights game the last time I saw Scott he was going down to one knee after taking a left to the head in Florida from Parros.

Scott will get his- lets see how he does in the flow of the game with depleted oxygen, and modified balance

I would take Milan Lucic in a fight against every single Celtics player on the ground and he's shorter than all.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:15 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Is there a more enigmatic player than Vanek in the league right now? Guy looked like an unstoppable force in that 7-4 game and then was so invisible last night that I don't recall him touching the puck once until the 2nd. I honestly thought he was out with an injury or something until i finally noticed him late in the 1st.

Guy is incredibly talented and has all the tools but just seems so inconsistent. I know his numbers thus far are really awesome, but I will be surprised if he's still leading the league in scoring by the end of the year.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

A few more thoughts about the Buffalo game: I also wish they had sent a message to Stafford. The elbow he through is the kind of thing that demands taking a number. As was said on Felger and Mazz today, they played a good, solid, defensively responsible game and beat the Sabres on the scoreboard where it counts. Dougie is stuggling a little with his strength/board work. That is to be expected and he needs the experience....
Someone on this board said Vanek is carrying a leg injury incurred before the Islander game. That could be true but Vanek sure is an "enigmatic" player; so much so that Ruff has been known to bench him from time to time. However, I would take him on the Bruins in a minute as I think Ruff's doghouse is too big.

Last edited by Actp: 02-11-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Hamilton paragraph
Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Salem13

Thing that shocked me most this game was Chris impersonating his dad on the point, he moves so much like a tiny version of Ray back there.

Such a smart Bourque-y play to bounce the puck straight of the boards for the assist too.

Chris also occasionally has a bit of Samsonovinallity in his stick handle that i like, hope he can continue to build on packaging his skill-set.

He has gifts to use and an obvious burden, I think he can still find some balance in be a decent NHL'er and Bruin.

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
Is there a more enigmatic player than Vanek in the league right now? Guy looked like an unstoppable force in that 7-4 game and then was so invisible last night that I don't recall him touching the puck once until the 2nd. I honestly thought he was out with an injury or something until i finally noticed him late in the 1st.

Guy is incredibly talented and has all the tools but just seems so inconsistent. I know his numbers thus far are really awesome, but I will be surprised if he's still leading the league in scoring by the end of the year.
There's a reason one of his nicknames is Thomas Vanish.

Gonzothe7thDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:07 PM
TCL40

Quote:
Marchand made him look silly skating around him, did it for me
This part was far more enjoyable than any fight.

As for McQuaid-not sure I want McQuaid fighting Scott either, but at least McQuaid is closer to Scott's height and Scott wouldn't have the reach advantage that he had with Thornton. McQuaid isn't a technically sound fighter, but he throws some pretty mean punches-McQuaid probably would have fared better.

I also think Thornton would likely have fared better had he been able to get inside, but Thornton wasn't in a good place and left himself vulnerable for that beat down (Love Thornton, but that was probably the worst fight I have ever seen him have and I find it painful to watch knowing the outcome).

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:25 PM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
This part was far more enjoyable than any fight.

As for McQuaid-not sure I want McQuaid fighting Scott either, but at least McQuaid is closer to Scott's height and Scott wouldn't have the reach advantage that he had with Thornton. McQuaid isn't a technically sound fighter, but he throws some pretty mean punches-McQuaid probably would have fared better.

I also think Thornton would likely have fared better had he been able to get inside, but Thornton wasn't in a good place and left himself vulnerable for that beat down (Love Thornton, but that was probably the worst fight I have ever seen him have and I find it painful to watch knowing the outcome).
Painful indeed, and sorry to retraumatize you, but I do have a question for you or others here: In the slow-motion replay, I see what looks like Thornton's left arm coming up after he's gone down to the ground. The arm seems to make two quick jabs straight up, as though either (a) he's still trying to punch Scott (from a ludicrous position); or (b) doing a version of Horton's one-armed concussion salute. Either way it's a chilling sight, because you gotta figure he's semi-conscious at that point. Am I the only one who saw this, and if not, what did others make of it?

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:10 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone for your jar View Post
Painful indeed, and sorry to retraumatize you, but I do have a question for you or others here: In the slow-motion replay, I see what looks like Thornton's left arm coming up after he's gone down to the ground. The arm seems to make two quick jabs straight up, as though either (a) he's still trying to punch Scott (from a ludicrous position); or (b) doing a version of Horton's one-armed concussion salute. Either way it's a chilling sight, because you gotta figure he's semi-conscious at that point. Am I the only one who saw this, and if not, what did others make of it?
Interesting, but I don't want to watch it again. Still can't watch the Horton or Bergeron hits either.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:24 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone for your jar View Post
Thornton said he didn't lose consciousness (or if he did, it was only for a millisecond). The "fencing response" is a classic sign of a severe concussion, and IIRC there is no movement involved; the arm hangs limply in the air before collapsing under the weight of gravity. If he had displayed that symptom, they would have gotten him off the ice (or box, as it were) asap.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote