HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Quarter Season Report Card

Old
02-11-2013, 10:07 AM
ChadSC
SportingCharts

vCash: 500
MVP without a doubt is Dubnyk with second place going to the defense as a whole.

The Oilers are last place in the NHL in shot differential per game at -7.8, which roughly equates to giving up 0.5 goals a game.

Reason the Oilers are still in contention is the vast improvement in save percentage (currently 6th in the NHL) - 0.908 in 2011 to 0.929 - which is a by-product of both Dubnyk's play and the defensive contributions of the team.

Oilers are destined to disappoint this season if the don't start improving in the shot battle.

ChadSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:18 AM
CupofOil

Good thread idea OB....

MVP? (and why) - Dubnyk AINEC

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? - Dubnyk. I thought that he was unappreciated but didn't expect him to be THIS good.

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? There are a lot but Petry and Smid have disappointed me the most. We need them to play like a top pairing and they have been far from it. RNH gets honorable mention. I'm happy with his defensive play but he needs to be more than a checking center for us to take the next step, i still think that the shoulder is bothering him.

Strongest area of the team? - Goaltending without a doubt and who thought that we would be saying that? The offense and defense simply haven't been nearly good enough.

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? - Krueger has been up and down but like a lot of the team, he's learning on the fly so too early to judge. I'm starting to think that coaching is the least of the concerns in the organization and i was one of the "Renney is the biggest problem" posters.

Positives from the Oilers so far? - Justin Schultz has been a god send. Dubnyk. Yakupov seems to be gaining confidence, Gagner has been a pleasant surprise offensively.
The team is 5-4-3 despite putting up many mediocre or putrid performances. That bodes well for them when a lot of the guys who are usually good break out of their slumps.

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? - Too many to name. The most important thing is that they need structure to their game, get the puck deep and have to get pucks to the net, it's not rocket science. They need to simplify their game and stop trying to be so cute in the neutral zone constantly.

Overall grade for the Oilers? D - They have had 4 maybe 5 decent (not great, decent) games. 1st Vancouver game, 1st L.A. game, 2nd San Jose game, Dallas game and 2 periods of the 1st Colorado game. The rest have been clunkers. The team needs to be a lot better if they want to make the playoffs or even get out of the bottom 5.

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? - As it stands now, i see them as finishing ahead of Columbus and maybe Colorado or Calgary so i'll say 13th the way they are currently playing. Hopefully, my mind will be changed by the next quarter pole.

Last edited by CupofOil: 02-11-2013 at 10:44 AM.
CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:37 AM
harpoon
FOB

Great post Lessy.
I agree with everything you wrote except I'd give Hall at least a B and maybe I don't watch Petrell closely enough but an A seems awfully high imo.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:50 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Yeah hard to believe Hall would get anything less than a B. At least his compete level is there, night in and night out.

Remember when we thought that the Oilers had a better chance of making the playoffs because of the shortened season, the kids in the AHL, etc.

Do you think we'd actually have a better shot at the playoffs if we had the full season to figure some of these issues out?

dustrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:55 AM
jadeddog

I like the idea of giving player grades, the NA grade is for players who haven't played often enough to garner a grade

A - Dubnyk, Gagner
B - Hemsky, Hall, J. Schultz
C - Yakupov, Hartikainen, N. Schultz, Belanger, Fistric, Paajarvi, Petrell
D - RNH, Smid, Horcoff, Eberle, Petry
F - Whitney, Smyth, Potter
NA - Eager, Khabibulin, Hordichuk, Lander

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:02 AM
onetweasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So 1/4 of the glorious (albeit short) NHL season is done. So what are your thoughts on the Oilers in these categories:

MVP? (and why) - Dubs...see yesterdays game. JSchultz gets and HM

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Bad - Smyth and Whitney......never thought they would be this terrible. Good - Schultz and I will say Petrell has done pretty good IMO

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? Nuge, Ebs but feel they will come out of it and of course Smyth and Whitney...

Strongest area of the team? (offense/D/Goaltending) - Should be offense but it has easily been goaltending

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? Too early to determine if it is coaching or the players are in a terrible funk......I tend to believe it is a funk. Although Krueger needs to implement at least some "dump and chase" hockey as teams have learned to stand us up at the blueline and as a result we cannot enter the zone and cycle.

Positives from the Oilers so far? Goaltending, winning some games despite what I feel has been a terrible stretch of hockey

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? Basically every facet aside from goaltending

Overall grade for the Oilers? I would say a C+ - the plus is only because goaltending has been allowing us to win games or get the loser point. Otherwise it is a C-

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? I think they turn it around and win 4 of 5 at home and will finish 8th or 9th.....this is not based on how they have played as they look like bottom feeders again but I just think that the forwards will come out of this funk and start to score goals and win games in a deserved fashion.

If you want to do individual grades, feel free.
See comments above

onetweasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Great post Lessy.
I agree with everything you wrote except I'd give Hall at least a B and maybe I don't watch Petrell closely enough but an A seems awfully high imo.
Ya I guess Hall's been ok. The stats certainly look good but I feel like he's capable of better overall play. The letter grades are relative to what we can expect from them and I'm not sure Petrell is capable of anymore than what he's done so far. Maybe a few more hits would be nice but he's been out of this world good killing penalties.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:15 PM
zeus3007*

MVP? Dubnyk. Not even close really, he's been keeping us in pretty much every game.

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Dubnyk. I wasn't expecting him to be bad, but not this good either. Honorable mention with Gagner, who has been far and away the best forward we have.

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? Smyth. Hasn't done much but be a liability. Honorable mention to Whitney. I wasn't expecting as much from him though, so Smyth wins.

Strongest area of the team? (offense/D/Goaltending) Goaltending, easily.

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? I really wish we were more aggressive on the puck. Its hard to criticize so early, so that's all I'll say.

Positives from the Oilers so far? Gagner emerging, Hemsky returning to form, Dubnyk showing he's a legit starter, Yakupov and Schultz having good rookie outings.

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? Puck control.

Overall grade for the Oilers? C-

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? Said 8th/9th before, now I think 10th-13th in West.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Baggers

MVP: Even though Dubnyk's the popular choice (and not undeservedly so), I'm going to go with Schultz. Dubnyk's been playing great, but he's also lost the team a few games as well and the San Jose stinker still lurks in the back of mind.

Schultz, on the other hand, has stepped in as a 22-year old rookie defenceman and played like a vet in his late-20s. Calm and collected in his own zone, offensively capable (7 points in 20 games), and plays in all situations (averaging over 23 minutes per game). The guy has stepped into the best league in the world and made it look easy. If Tarasenko weren't lighting up the scoreboard, Schultz would be a shoo-in for the Calder.

MIP Gagner and Hemsky are candidates here, but since I skipped him in the MVP, I gotta go with Dubnyk - even though he hasn't really improved much (he was playing pretty well the last half of last season.

Strongest Area of the Team Special Teams. Over half of the teams' goals have been scored on the PP (14/27) and the team is rocking a 24% PP conversion rate. Likewise, the team is 6th in the league in PK, killing close to 87% of the team's penalties.

Coaching/System First of all, I like that Krueger is not pulling his own version of the Mac-Blender and giving lines a chance to gel. He's also not been Renney-like in his willingness to play the youngsters on the top line (facing tough competition), which IMO is the right move. Sooner or later, they need to sink or swim against the other team's top lines and despite the growing pains they're experiencing now, I think it's the right move. I also like the fact that he's playing Horcoff at around 15:00/game (where he can still be effective) and he hasn't been afraid to bench underperforming players like Whitney.

That being said, the team still seems to get hemmed into their own zone 5 on 5 a lot, but I'm not sure whether that's the fault of the players or the system.

Positives:
- Hall scoring almost a PPG while appearing unimpressive doing so
- Gagner stepping up his game
- Hemsky not being the bum he's been the past few years
- Dubnyk stepping up his game considerably
- RNH still being defensively responsibly while he's going through a rough patch offensively
- Paajarvi looks faster and more physical
- Hartikainen looks like he's finally ready to stick with the big club
- Smid still bringing the sandpaper
- Justin Schultz
- Yakupov (when he's been good)
- Comebacks - two years ago, this team would've completely folded down by 2 goals going into the 3rd period. No longer.

Areas for Improvement:
- Being able to pass it out of the defensive zone
- Turnovers
- Games where they don't seem to shoot the puck
- 5 on 5 play
- Defensive coverage
- Consistency

Overall Grade B. I was expecting them to finish 8-10th in the conference, and that's where they currently sit.

Revised Outcome: Same. I still see them being in a battle for the final playoff spot.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Ladra

MVP - Though call between J.S and DD. I'll go with DD because he has kept us in so many games where we played like crap.

Player who has surprised you with his play this season - J.S/DD/Gagner

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season - Whitney has been horrible and so has Potter but I didn't expect much from them anyways. I have been very very very dissapointed with RNH, Eberle and Hall. I thought this was the year when the would go off and start to dominate. But it seems like it is a bit to much on RNH and that he isn't quite ready for it yet. I'm aso dissapointed in Petry since I was expecting him to take a step forward, but it seems it was a step backwards.

Strongest area of the team - Goaltenting

Thoughts on coaching and system in place - Intresting. Just like with Renney I like some things that R.K does. I believe that he will have lines clicking and a system in place by the end of the year. (so far.. I havn't seen much of a succses with the puck possesion game).

Positives from the Oilers so far - PK, Goaltending. Gagner and Hemsky. Decent 1-4D.

Areas where the Oilers need to improve Transition game. Breaking into the O-zone. Better passing (or positional play). Maintaining puck possesion. Regain puck possession in the O-zone.

Overall grade for the Oilers D+

Revised season outcome for the Oilers A season start I believed that they had an outside chanse to reach the 8th spot. somewhere 8-10th. But I believe they will have a hard time reaching 10th place now. so perhaps 11-12th in the west if "kids" don't start klicking.

A- Dubnyk, J. Shultz
B - Gagner+, Hemsky,
C - Hall+, Yakupov+, Smid+, Belanger+, N. Shultz, Fistric, Petrell, Horcoff, Paajarvi,
D - RNH+, Petry+, Hartikanen+, Eberle+, Potter-
F - Whitney, Smyth

Ladra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:24 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Ya I guess Hall's been ok. The stats certainly look good but I feel like he's capable of better overall play. The letter grades are relative to what we can expect from them and I'm not sure Petrell is capable of anymore than what he's done so far. Maybe a few more hits would be nice but he's been out of this world good killing penalties.
What I do like about Hall this year is that he's made some decent gritty plays like winning o-zone faceoffs, the spinorama shot that Yakupov got the rebound, etc. He's a decent passer when he takes his time and it looks to me like his backchecking is much better than last year.

dustrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:34 PM
jadeddog

For the revised expectations part. I expected them to finish around 20th in the league, and that's right around where they are. Dubnyk and Schultz have been much better than I thought they would be, Yakupov has been about what I expected. The kids are nowhere near what I expected, and I still think they will turn it around somewhat.

I guess I still expect them to finish around 20th, maybe a bit higher if Schultz and Dubnyk keep playing like they have been.

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:45 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

MVP? (and why)

Dubnyk, he's faced the most shots and made the most saves in the entire NHL this year. He's bailed the Oilers out multiple times and has kept us extremely close, even in losses.

Player who has surprised you with his play this season?

Justin Schultz... I didn't think he'd be the #1 defenseman instantly but his transition has been so smooth. The Oilers are extremely lucky to have him

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season?

Ryan Smyth is completely worthless.

Strongest area of the team? (offense/D/Goaltending)

Should be offense but it's goaltending right now.

Thoughts on coaching and system in place?

His line combos have been pretty logical, the potter obsession was bothering me at the start of the year but CP has played well enough to warrant a spot as the #6. As for the system I'm still skeptical. Their zone entry (especially on the PP) is abysmal.

Other then that I've been ok with it though. I like how every player is in on special teams.

Positives from the Oilers so far?

Justin Schultz, Devan Dubnyk, Ales Hemsky, Sam Gagner and the PK. Yakupov has had a nice start too.

Areas where the Oilers need to improve?

5v5 mainly. Scoring is an issue as well, Hall Eberle and RNH need to score more goals.

Overall grade for the Oilers?

I'd say a C-. Kind of encouraging that they sit at 9th when they haven't started to click yet but this team has a ton of issues to address. They won't make the playoffs.

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)?

Sticking with my original prediction of 10th.

Last edited by SephF: 02-11-2013 at 01:54 PM.
SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:21 PM
scid14

vCash: 50
http://oilersnation.com/2013/2/11/at-the-quarter-pole-3

scid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:43 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

MVP? (and why)
Honestly, it's between Dubnyk, Gagner and Schultz. Dubnyk's doing his best Lundqvist impression, starting all the games and giving us a remarkable chance to win in every single of one of them... While Gagner has been superb offensively (i.e. all of our offence)... While Schultz has been spectacular. Better than anyone would have ever pegged him to be.

Player who has surprised you with his play this season?
Gagner/Schultz. Schultz more so, because holy crap, he's good.

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season?
Smyth. Watching the heart and soul of the 90s Oilers skate like a rock and hook to survive is depressing.
Whitney. Because he sucks.

Strongest area of the team? (offense/D/Goaltending)
... Goaltending and the PK.

Big fan of Krueger coming in. I don't think his Swiss-rope-a-dope style is going to succeed here, because our defence isn't strong enough.

Positives from the Oilers so far?
Gagner might be a good-to-great 1B centre. Dubnyk might be a good to great 1A starter. Schultz might be a good-to-great prophet of hockey.

Areas where the Oilers need to improve?
Faceoffs. Health. 5on5. Power play. 3rd and 4th lines. Forwards. Defence. Cycle game. Playing the cycle game. Puck watching. Puckside attack. Breakouts. Preventing breakouts. Being physical.

Overall grade for the Oilers?
B+ based purely on their placement at 8th in the Western Conference
C+ based on their play. The record is kind, but accurate. You don't get to lose the won games. Nobody cares we blew it against Columbus. It's a W.

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)?
I said 12th in the West, I'm going to keep it there so I can be pleasantly surprised if they do better.

nofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:45 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
MVP? (and why) Dubnyk, and isn't it obvious?

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Sam Gagner

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? Ryan Whitney

Strongest area of the team? (offense/D/Goaltending) Goaltending

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? Still too early to tell, though we are further ahead then we were before.

Positives from the Oilers so far? Dubnyk has take the reigns and held up under the pressures of being the #1. Schultz and Yakupov making a good transition to the NHL.

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? 5 on 5 scoring

Overall grade for the Oilers? B-, slightly above average but showing potential.

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? I was saying that 7-10 spot before, I am sticking with that prediction.

02-11-2013, 03:12 PM
belair

I won't follow the dynamic of this thread because I'd just be repeating the previous posts for the mostpart. But the one point I'd like to make is how important the success of our top-six forward group is to our team's success.

Just looking at the statistics, it's already been beaten to death that our 5v5 scoring is atrocious. But I really haven't seen any topics that focus on how offensively inept our bottom six forwards have been in recent history.

If someone is able to contribute some league-wide statistic, I'm almost certain the Oilers would be flirting with 30th in regards to scoring in their bottom six.

Looking closer, only Horcoff, Paajarvi, Smyth and Petrell have lit the lamp this season outside of our scoring forwards. That is a serious issue.

Looking even closer is the fact that Horcoff's goal went in off of his foot from an Eberle shot and Paajarvi's goal was a one-timer set up by an excellent Gagner rush.

Whether it's a lack of a productive system or a lack of an offensive catalyst, this team will fail to make the post-season if it continues to rely on 6 forwards to carry the load offensively.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Aerchon

MVP? (and why) Dub at this exact moment. Just excellent play. Want to put RNH in here for his incredible defensive work but his points so far will keep me from going there.

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Dub

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? Whitney

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? Not as good as I hoped but can't really complain yet.

Positives from the Oilers so far? Gagner's points, Dub's play, Hemsky looking good, and Shultz looks the real deal.
Areas where the Oilers need to improve? Bottom pairing and scoring from all 4 lines.

Overall grade for the Oilers? D+

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)?I had them for last spot in the West to make the playoffs but this was hope more than reality. I will officialy change my stance to what I think they should be able to accomplish. 22nd overall in the league.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:18 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So 1/4 of the glorious (albeit short) NHL season is done. So what are your thoughts on the Oilers in these categories:

MVP? (and why) Dubnyk

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Gagner - thought he'd finally come through, and has, and J. Schultz.

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? RNH, Smyth and Whitney - tie. Whitney hasn't been the same since his injury Smyth looks old, and RNH looks really off. If RNH is indeed hurt, shut it down instead of playing like this.

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? Okay. Fristic being sat was a big dissapointment

Positives from the Oilers so far? Gagner, Schultz and Dubnyk

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? Too many to list. Mainly needing to compete better.

Overall grade for the Oilers? D

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? 11-13

If you want to do individual grades, feel free.
Dissapointed thus far.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:30 PM
ponokanocker

A- Dubnyk, J. Shultz, Gagner-
B - Hall-, Smid, Yakupov(for what a rookie should be doing) Hemsky-, Petry-
C - Belanger, Fistric, N. Shultz-, Petrell, Horcoff, Paajarvi, Hartikanen, Eberle+
D - RNH, Potter(performing as expected, just not an NHL player), COACH
F - Whitney, Smyth

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Lion

vCash: 50
MVP? (and why) Dubnyk, gives the team a chance to win every game and probably the only reason why we aren't last place right now

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? Sam Gagner

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? Whitney

Positives from the Oilers so far? Dubnyk, Schultz, Gagner and good role players

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? Defensively and the top 6 needs to be better

Overall grade for the Oilers? C

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? 10th in the West

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Pekka Rinne

MVP: Dubnyk, the reason we aren't in dead last.

Player who has surprised me with his play this season: Gagner, finally looking like the #2 C we need. J. Schultz, I knew he was going to be good, but he has exceeded all expectztions.

Player who has disappointed me with his play this season: RNH, he is just snake bitten, probably just a sophmore slump, i am not worried at all.

Strongest area of the team: PP, PK and goaltending (even Khabi had a good game)

Thoughts on coaching and system in place: Not that bad, havent agreed with some of the lines though.

Positives from the Oilers so far: PP, PK and goaltending

Areas where the Oilers need to improve: Even strength scoring, secondary scoring.

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? Ill stick with my preseason ranking and say they will finsih 10-12th in the west.

Pekka Rinne is online now   Reply With Quote