HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames pickup G Joey MacDonald on waivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 11:34 AM
  #26
cjm502
#FireHolland
 
cjm502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mid Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Kiprusoff skating today. If all goes well, Kiprusoff comes off IR and likely to play Wednesday. MacDonald expected to be Kiprusoff's backup.

cjm502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:34 AM
  #27
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
Food for thought:
So two backups get waived at the same time again?

Wow.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:34 AM
  #28
BVicious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,309
vCash: 500
I truely believe Irving will be packaged in a trade this year. When kipps is back, MacD will be his backup, and Irving will be sent packing. Why give up on him? Cuz we have Ramo and other goalies that can compete next year.

Irving could put us over the top in a packaged deal for a legit Centerman. Sad to see but this kid has been in the crap system of having an elite goalie who plays 70+ games per year.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:35 AM
  #29
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,941
vCash: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
That would mean a larger window of opportunity for Irving.
After reading Bobby Mac's tweet, that opportunity will likely be with another organization.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:35 AM
  #30
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy
 
Janko Unchained's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 2,131
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
So two backups get waived at the same time again?

Wow.
I thought Irving didn't need to go through waivers because he was put on waivers to begin the season, and then has that 30 day period where he is waiver free?

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:36 AM
  #31
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
I truely believe Irving will be packaged in a trade this year. When kipps is back, MacD will be his backup, and Irving will be sent packing. Why give up on him? Cuz we have Ramo and other goalies that can compete next year.

Irving could put us over the top in a packaged deal for a legit Centerman. Sad to see but this kid has been in the crap system of having an elite goalie who plays 70+ games per year.
MacDonald would be a better backup for Kipper and Irving does deserve a shot in an organization that will give him the minutes and coaching he needs. It could be win/win.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:37 AM
  #32
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brostopolous View Post
I thought Irving didn't need to go through waivers because he was put on waivers to begin the season, and then has that 30 day period where he is waiver free?
Sorry - I'm losing track of time. You're right.

Probably an age thing.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
  #33
Thumper17
Registered User
 
Thumper17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
In other news, Cammy and Baertschi are skating. Looks like a substantially healthier line up for wednesday.

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:42 AM
  #34
MuffinMerc
Registered User
 
MuffinMerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,162
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
After reading Bobby Mac's tweet, that opportunity will likely be with another organization.
I thought it was a signing to send Taylor back to Abbotsford and get Irving an NHL ready backup. If MacDonald does be one Kippers backup, it's a waste of a contract spot.

We will see what happens.

MuffinMerc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:43 AM
  #35
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
After reading Bobby Mac's tweet, that opportunity will likely be with another organization.

Yeah, I think so too.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:44 AM
  #36
Signature
One brick at a time.
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,929
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
I thought it was a signing to send Taylor back to Abbotsford and get Irving an NHL ready backup. If MacDonald does be one Kippers backup, it's a waste of a contract spot.

We will see what happens.
MacDonald's only signed for this season. I don't see the Flames acquiring TWO signed roster players this season. More likely, picks.

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:44 AM
  #37
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,862
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
Food for thought:
Wow. Just when you think this organization couldn't be anymore of a joke.

Can seriously be scapegoating the Vancouver loss on Irving? It makes absolutely no sense to believe the Flames need a better back up at this point.

But yes, it looks like Irving is gone. It's a real shame the way the organization handled him.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:47 AM
  #38
flameaholic
Registered User
 
flameaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
I truely believe Irving will be packaged in a trade this year. When kipps is back, MacD will be his backup, and Irving will be sent packing. Why give up on him? Cuz we have Ramo and other goalies that can compete next year.

Irving could put us over the top in a packaged deal for a legit Centerman. Sad to see but this kid has been in the crap system of having an elite goalie who plays 70+ games per year.
Irving cleared waivers at the start of the season, he won't be packaged for anything. That being said, I don't think he deserves to be demoted either.

Typical Flames move to pick a veteran over a youngster.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:49 AM
  #39
MuffinMerc
Registered User
 
MuffinMerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,162
vCash: 50
What is management doing?

MuffinMerc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:53 AM
  #40
The Hendog
Registered User
 
The Hendog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 372
vCash: 500
So to sum up and please clarify if I have gotten this wrong but
- Joey Mac has to stay on the Flames roster for the rest of the season as he was claimed off waivers? Or because he was injured that is not the case?
- Irving can be sent back down to the AHL without having to go through waivers?
- So for tonight's game Irving gets the start and Taylor is still the backup?
- But for Weds game it could be Kipper getting the start and Joey Mac as the backup?

When was the last time Joey Mac played a game? Seems like a strange backup decision given he hasn't played in forever and the decent play of Irving over the last few games in my opinion.

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:54 AM
  #41
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,941
vCash: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
MacDonald's only signed for this season. I don't see the Flames acquiring TWO signed roster players this season. More likely, picks.
So is Irving. So is Taylor. All of the Flames' "backup goalies" are a UFA after this season.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:55 AM
  #42
Thumper17
Registered User
 
Thumper17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
This could open up some room for a Kipper trade? Ramo is coming in next year right? If were out at the deadline then?

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:57 AM
  #43
Ynnek
Registered User
 
Ynnek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,193
vCash: 500
I'm hoping Feaster has some sort of genious plan

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:59 AM
  #44
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker
 
Hand of Gaudreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnek View Post
I'm hoping Feaster has some sort of genious plan
Maybe he already has a deal and had to cover his bases before pulling the trigger?

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:00 PM
  #45
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,941
vCash: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
So to sum up and please clarify if I have gotten this wrong but
- Joey Mac has to stay on the Flames roster for the rest of the season as he was claimed off waivers? Or because he was injured that is not the case?
- Irving can be sent back down to the AHL without having to go through waivers?
- So for tonight's game Irving gets the start and Taylor is still the backup?
- But for Weds game it could be Kipper getting the start and Joey Mac as the backup?

When was the last time Joey Mac played a game? Seems like a strange backup decision given he hasn't played in forever and the decent play of Irving over the last few games in my opinion.
- MacDonald must remain on the active roster for 30 days
- Irving can be sent to the AHL, but I think after 30 days he must clear waivers again
- For tonight, barring weirdness, Irving gets the start with Taylor as backup as I don't think MacDonald could get here in time for the pre-game skate.
- I believe Kipper must remain on IR for 7 days, so he may not be eligible for Wednesday's game.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:02 PM
  #46
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,941
vCash: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnek View Post
I'm hoping Feaster has some sort of genious plan
Oh I'm sure it's "genious" all right...

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:02 PM
  #47
BVicious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,309
vCash: 500
I'm sure Feaster isn't just using a magic 8-Ball to run a multi-million dollar franchise.

That said, I have a feeling both Irving and Kipps might be moved at some point this year. I think the rebuild is becoming more apparent as this season chugs along. This is the deepest draft in 15 years so I can see Feaster stockpiling picks like crazy.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:03 PM
  #48
The Hendog
Registered User
 
The Hendog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper17 View Post
This could open up some room for a Kipper trade? Ramo is coming in next year right? If were out at the deadline then?
Interesting theory
Flames go with a Irving/Joey Mac combo after they trade Kipper
Then after the year, depending on who performs better, sign one of them and then next year go with a tandem of Ramo and Irving or Joey Mac
You could be on to something

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:05 PM
  #49
BVicious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
I'm sure Feaster isn't just using a magic 8-Ball to run a multi-million dollar franchise.

That said, I have a feeling both Irving and Kipps might be moved at some point this year. I think the rebuild is becoming more apparent as this season chugs along. This is the deepest draft in 15 years so I can see Feaster stockpiling picks like crazy.
And in saying this, the Flames jut got the first look at a team without Kipper. First time in 9 years. So I can see them moving on.... He only has one season left, then he is a goner.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:05 PM
  #50
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,941
vCash: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
I'm sure Feaster isn't just using a magic 8-Ball to run a multi-million dollar franchise.

That said, I have a feeling both Irving and Kipps might be moved at some point this year. I think the rebuild is becoming more apparent as this season chugs along. This is the deepest draft in 15 years so I can see Feaster stockpiling picks like crazy.
Please stop perpetuating this myth.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.