HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With the #28 pick in the first round, Wild select Zack Phillips (now signed to ELC)

Old
02-04-2013, 11:29 AM
DANOZ28

vCash: 500
im trying not 2 b to hard on the wilds first rnd draft pick choices however they have not been the choices i would have made. i hope any player that wears a wild uniform succeeds. cheers.

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:20 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
By the way, for a quick skim;
Strange comments about Phillips. I think they're just trying to make him useful in the AHL, because he's not useful in the offensive role.

Anyway this got me to go back and see what I initially said about Phillips. Now over 19 months later, I wouldn't change a word I said.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:51 PM
LemaireisGOD

(shrugs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Strange comments about Phillips. I think they're just trying to make him useful in the AHL, because he's not useful in the offensive role.

Anyway this got me to go back and see what I initially said about Phillips. Now over 19 months later, I wouldn't change a word I said.
I wouldn't change a word I said either. Phillips got a bit of a move up when Granlund got hurt in Houston, did ok but as you can tell he wasn't lighting the lamp like crazy either. He was a set up man. I'd imagine with Coyle getting called up he'll probably move up to play more of a scoring role even if he's been asked to focus on his defensive game.

I went to the Aeros game on the 23rd in Milwaukee and I'll be going to the game this Friday too. Phillips didn't play on the 23rd; but I will have a real good idea after I watch him on the 8th. I will post my report in the Aeros topic; and maybe write a special part about Phillips here.

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
I wouldn't change a word I said either. Phillips got a bit of a move up when Granlund got hurt in Houston, did ok but as you can tell he wasn't lighting the lamp like crazy either. He was a set up man. I'd imagine with Coyle getting called up he'll probably move up to play more of a scoring role even if he's been asked to focus on his defensive game.

I went to the Aeros game on the 23rd in Milwaukee and I'll be going to the game this Friday too. Phillips didn't play on the 23rd; but I will have a real good idea after I watch him on the 8th. I will post my report in the Aeros topic; and maybe write a special part about Phillips here.
Since the Torch interview, Phillips got moved to wing. He was on the right side of Zucker-Larsson last game and also on the 2nd PP. Now that Palmieri and Coyle are gone, he is going to get more ice time.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:56 PM
LemaireisGOD

My take on Phillips....

Good hands, not bad along the boards, but still slow as hell. He was working as hard as he could to get up to speed and eve when he finally got moving a bit it wasn't too fast. It wasn't even Mikko Koivu fast. His lack of explosion is even more evident as the play changes direction. He just takes a long long time to get up to speed.

Strength-wise he seemed solid enough, so its not as much an issue of weakness as I just don't know if he has that motor to get his feet moving and stride mechanics worked out.

I talked with Joe O'Donnell a bit last night before the game and he seemed to think he'd have to be in Houston for a few years but thought he'd be pretty good by the time he was done. I'd agree that he's probably a long-term project. However, his viability as a project really comes down to his ability to improve his skating. If he can't improve then no matter how great the hands are, I don't think he has much of an NHL future.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Kari Takko

Phillips is only 20 years old, and has succeeded thus far because he thinks the game faster than others. While speed may be a concern, I'd put him on the same growth curve as Joe Pavelski, a guy with his own speed deficiencies. Phillips may not end up as good, but his game reminds me of JP.

Pavelski hit the league at 22, and had a great supporting cast around him. With these as my expectations, I would like to see Phillips in the A this year and next with a reasonable expectation to crack the lineup in 14-15. I think we'll see his number jump considerably next season after an offseason spent training and knowing what he can expect.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Hope he's able to keep his head up as he watches guys he came into the AHL with jump into the NHL ahead of him.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:15 AM
LemaireisGOD

Spoken like a Kool Aid drinker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
Phillips is only 20 years old, and has succeeded thus far because he thinks the game faster than others. While speed may be a concern, I'd put him on the same growth curve as Joe Pavelski, a guy with his own speed deficiencies. Phillips may not end up as good, but his game reminds me of JP.

Pavelski hit the league at 22, and had a great supporting cast around him. With these as my expectations, I would like to see Phillips in the A this year and next with a reasonable expectation to crack the lineup in 14-15. I think we'll see his number jump considerably next season after an offseason spent training and knowing what he can expect.
This kid is not like Joe Pavelski. Pavelski has far better defensive instincts and even in his USHL days with Waterloo he had more wheels than Phillips.

Phillips had a fantastic supporting cast in St. John's. And while Granlund and Coyle have moved on Phillips has had a pretty good cast in Houston. He still has Zucker and Larsson now as linemates and he was the weak link on that line. His lack of speed made it tougher for that line to be as effective as it could have been.

I don't think he's a for sure bust, but if he doesn't markedly improve his skating I don't see a bright NHL future for him. IMO, if he doesn't have a good 2nd half playing on the Aeros top line, getting lots of Power Play time etc...then there is reason to be concerned.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:18 AM
tyratoku

Quote:
This kid is not like Joe Pavelski. Pavelski has far better defensive instincts and even in his USHL days with Waterloo he had more wheels than Phillips.

Phillips had a fantastic supporting cast in St. John's. And while Granlund and Coyle have moved on Phillips has had a pretty good cast in Houston. He still has Zucker and Larsson now as linemates and he was the weak link on that line. His lack of speed made it tougher for that line to be as effective as it could have been.

I don't think he's a for sure bust, but if he doesn't markedly improve his skating I don't see a bright NHL future for him. IMO, if he doesn't have a good 2nd half playing on the Aeros top line, getting lots of Power Play time etc...then there is reason to be concerned.
I could be totally wrong, but I thought that he was up with the Wild at training camp last season and worked with a bunch of skating coaches and was able to improve his footspeed and form quite a bit. St Johns fans were raving about how much better he looked.

Is it possible that he does the same again?

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:41 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Phillips imo has always been a weak link in the prospect pool. I think he's a 3rd liner at best...hope to be proven wrong. I have higher hopes for Lucia than I do for Phillips.

He's still a prospect I'd be willing to move in a trade package if the right deal came along.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
I saw Aeros in Milwaukee last Friday. As LIG stated, Phillips seemed pretty slow. However, he's got good hands, creativity, and size - which keeps me cautiously optimistic.

The two prospects that impressed me were Larsson and Medvec.

Larsson has excellent puck protection, speed, passing, grit. With proper development, he's going to be really good. During the game, he used his speed to produce several 2-on-1's, and drew penalties along the boards.

I had never payed attention to Medvec before I watched the Aeros live. This kid is huge (6'5", 190 - could add more muscle), decent skater, good positioning. He's a shut-down guy, so he's not going to produce points, but I like his combination of size and mobility.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Until he can show anything offensively, there's no way he can make the NHL. He's not a strong defensive player to begin with.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Scoutguy77

Frankly, I like the kids upside and applaud the organizations handling of him. Brent Flahr was clear on draft day as saying this kid had some work to do before he will be ready.

The organization has had him as a 4th line center, to a first line winger. I think in a couple of years he will be a very good NHL'er. Is their work to be done YES, but the kid seems to have a great attitude and work ethic.

Scoutguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:16 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I saw Aeros in Milwaukee last Friday. As LIG stated, Phillips seemed pretty slow. However, he's got good hands, creativity, and size - which keeps me cautiously optimistic.

The two prospects that impressed me were Larsson and Medvec.

Larsson has excellent puck protection, speed, passing, grit. With proper development, he's going to be really good. During the game, he used his speed to produce several 2-on-1's, and drew penalties along the boards.

I had never payed attention to Medvec before I watched the Aeros live. This kid is huge (6'5", 190 - could add more muscle), decent skater, good positioning. He's a shut-down guy, so he's not going to produce points, but I like his combination of size and mobility.
Larsson is easily our most underrated prospect. This kid is going to be a very good all around player!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Until he can show anything offensively, there's no way he can make the NHL. He's not a strong defensive player to begin with.
I think Phillips is underrated offensively. Has great hands and is stuck with shoddy playing time. Doesn't play with the cream of the crop like Granlund and Coyle did. Not to mention never got PP like they did. When he did play with Coyle and/or Granlund he did solid. Doesn't really get much time with Zucker either. I used to hate him, too. But hes underrated around here.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote