The Mike Yeo Firing Thread/Squad

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 11:02 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Scoring 1 goal in 5 games. Out of 11

7 goals in the last 5 games.

The team, Seto, PMB, Heater, Scandella, Faulk, Stoner, Prosser, Koivu, Cullen, Gilbert, Spurgeon, Brodziak, Powe and Clutterbuck were all returning skaters. I do not buy the no preseaon. Parise plays hard and is smart. He looked great right away. Suter and Brodin get added again two smart players that look right at home, when Sutter plays his game and does not press.

Every team has ups and downs. You could make a case to fire any coach in any sport after a short sampling. Those same coaches have a history of winning and have dealt with adversity.

Yeo now has a colapse last year and a poor start this year. He has not shown how to oversome adversity. Great teams find away to stop the bleeding or to just get in the play offs. Yeo has not found that way. I begin to question if he ever will. Anyone can coach a hard working all star team.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:15 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
You realize MOST of the players you listed, are either coming off of injuries, or are only supposed to be depth players right?

Only Heatley played a complete season of the only couple top six forward talent... PMB hadn't played a game in over a year.

Prosser, Falk and Stoner have never shown any ability to be more than 3rd pairing defensemen.

Cullen never belonged in the top six. Thus you have Seto starting slow with a rookie centerman and an ill placed winger, and now Koivu with a rookie and Parise. You can't tell me our top two lines were going to be perfect out of the gate. The 3rd line has been the only one filled with only returning players, but those players are being asked to play a different role than previous due to the increased talent ahead of them in the lineup.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:18 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

vCash: 500
Also we have Falk, not Faulk.

If we had Faulk our Defense would be very different.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:19 AM
roon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
Scoring 1 goal in 5 games. Out of 11
What?

Quote:
7 goals in the last 5 games.
Lack of scoring is a concern...but defense wins games far more than scoring.

Quote:
The team, Seto, PMB, Heater, Scandella, Faulk, Stoner, Prosser, Koivu, Cullen, Gilbert, Spurgeon, Brodziak, Powe and Clutterbuck were all returning skaters.
PMB was out for damn near 50% of the season last year. Gilbert was just starting to get comfortable at the end of last year. Powe is gone..Prosser is garabge. Bottom line is that the lines are different and people are needing to learn to play with new guys. Takes time.

Quote:
I do not buy the no preseaon.
Most of the hockey community does. You are pretty much the odd man out on that one.

Quote:
Parise plays hard and is smart. He looked great right away. Suter and Brodin get added again two smart players that look right at home, when Sutter plays his game and does not press.
Yep, on paper we are a solid team. Looking good on paper does not win hockey games though.

Quote:
Every team has ups and downs. You could make a case to fire any coach in any sport after a short sampling. Those same coaches have a history of winning and have dealt with adversity.
How is a 2nd year head coach going to build that history if you have idiots clamoring for his firing in some kneejerk reaction?

Quote:
Yeo now has a colapse last year and a poor start this year.
That collapse last year was the result of injury and having a team full of AHL'ers. Warren Peters was centering I believe was the 2nd line...or maybe he made it up to the first line...I forget.

Quote:
He has not shown how to oversome adversity. Great teams find away to stop the bleeding or to just get in the play offs. Yeo has not found that way. I begin to question if he ever will. Anyone can coach a hard working all star team.
It's not really Yeo's job to find that way...its the players job to find that way. It's his job to hold them accountable...which he couldnt do last year due to a lack of depth...he has that depth now and is able to send messages when needed.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:24 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Warren Peters at one point was centering the top line with Heatley and Cullen.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Dr Jan Itor

I'm actually starting to get behind this. We should just bring in a new coach every year until one of them wins the Cup. Problem solved.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Elliot Friedman's 30 Thoughts:

Quote:
5. There's a lot of angst in Minnesota about the Wild's 5-5-1 start. After the free-agent bonanza, several opponents said Wild general manager Chuck Fletcher's biggest challenge would be managing expectations. While Parise and Ryan Suter are big upgrades, the roster has holes. The organization is stocked with talented youth, but in different stages of development. "They will not be a contender until their young players are ready," said one executive. "But that will be hard for ownership to hear."

6. A scout had an interesting take on the Wild: "Parise is an aggressive, attacking player. This is an organization without much of a history playing that way. He's playing very well. But they're going to have to get used to each other."

7. It's interesting to hear executives talk about some of the struggling teams. "This is a tough year to make an honest appraisal of your group," one said. "Everything is so screwed up by the lockout." Players showed up in different degrees of conditioning and the injury situation is already ugly. As you can imagine, there are coaches, GMs and players who feel they will be unfairly judged by this 48-game mess.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I'm actually starting to get behind this. We should just bring in a new coach every year until one of them wins the Cup. Problem solved.
That's just asinine. You have to have rotating GMs too!

Old
02-11-2013, 11:44 AM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
What?.
We have played 11 games. We scored just one goal in 5 of those games. Should i list the box score? Almost 50%. Unless we are expecting shout outs we need a little more offensive output to win games.

Quote:
PMB was out for damn near 50% of the season last year. Gilbert was just starting to get comfortable at the end of last year. Powe is gone..Prosser is garabge. Bottom line is that the lines are different and people are needing to learn to play with new guys. Takes time. .
They all skated. Practiced, listened. The playes that were brought in can play in any system. Suter and Parise could play any where and be fine. Brodin looks far beyond his years.

How much time do we give?

Quote:
Most of the hockey community does. You are pretty much the odd man out on that one..
Everyone is on the same playing field. The wild are at no greater disadvatage than anyone. Its an excuse. The Wild were not grounded in a snow storm and missed more days than any other team.

Quote:
How is a 2nd year head coach going to build that history if you have idiots clamoring for his firing in some kneejerk reaction?.
How is keeping a losing coach that cannot generate offense going to help the future? We do not have the luxury of waiting out a rookie coach with a rookie team. Just say we are rebuilding and he can have all the time in the world.

Quote:
That collapse last year was the result of injury and having a team full of AHL'ers. Warren Peters was centering I believe was the 2nd line...or maybe he made it up to the first line...I forget..
Adversity = Yeo failed.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
That's just asinine. You have to have rotating GMs too!
GMs get 2 years.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
We have played 11 games. We scored just one goal in 5 of those games. Should i list the box score? Almost 50%. Unless we are expecting shout outs we need a little more offensive output to win games.

They all skated. Practiced, listened. The playes that were brought in can play in any system. Suter and Parise could play any where and be fine. Brodin looks far beyond his years.

Everyone is on the same playing field. The wild are at no greater disadvatage than anyone. Its an excuse. The Wild were not grounded in a snow storm and missed more days than any other team.

How is keeping a losing coach that cannot generate offense going to help the future? We do not have the luxury of waiting out a rookie coach with a rookie team. Just say we are rebuilding and he can have all the time in the world.

Adversity = Yeo failed.
Name your ideal, realistic replacement.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:

Adversity = Yeo failed.
I'm going to sign you up for a race. Then take one of your legs. Let's see how well you face adversity when the odds are stacked against you.

This is all metaphorically speaking, of course.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:05 PM
roon

Quote:
I understand that scoring is a concern....I still maintain that games are won by defense.

Quote:

Right....skating is the same as playing in game situations...any pond hockey all-star should be able to come in and do well so long as they skate, practice and listen?

Suter and Parise can play in any system...if you give them some time to get used to it.

Quote:
Oh? Take a look at the teams doing the best currently. Virtually an untouched roster.

Quote:
Oh, so the word rebuilding matters? I think your expectations are the issue...and not exactly the coaching.

Quote:
Adversity = Yeo failed.
You want Yeo to go out there and skate for them? It's not his job to win games...thats the players job. As I said before, he is there to hold them accountable...which he could not do last year. Now he has the depth....I predict we see a different team this year.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:08 PM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Did you want Richards gone or not?

Quote:
So how many losses does the new coach get before he gets fired?.
How many?

People who have a wait and see approach. Should read the fire Richards threads from way back. His head was called for after the preason by some. He still did more with less than Yeo did.

Mitts, Koivu, Brunno top line
Havlat leading scorer
Nystrom, Brunno and Zannon only ones to play all 82 game.
Barker, Kobesew, Staubitz, Madden(played OK considering) all washed up
Wellman, O'Sullivan, Peters, Almond, Gillies, Earl, Noreau, Ortmeyer, Kassian, McMillan, Prosser, Bagnall,
Lats 11 games
PMB 59
Zids 46 and he was on a tear

That team and a winning record.

Once Richards left. I am in the results boat. Not that wait and see boat.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Did you want Richards gone or not?
I didn't really have any strong feelings about it, one way or the other.

Quote:
People who have a wait and see approach. Should read the fire Richards threads from way back. His head was called for after the preason by some. He still did more with less than Yeo did.
Not by me.

If you want Yeo to be fired, that's fine, as long as the new guy only gets ~ 40 games to prove he belongs. If they struggle, then we can move on to the next guy. It's a great precedent to set.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Before we get too wistful for the Richards era, let me remind you how we started the seasons:

2009-10: 2-9-0 (0.181)
2010-11: 5-4-2 (0.545)
2011-12: 5-3-3 (0.591)
2012-13: 5-5-1 (0.500)

We're not much different than the last two years but a hell of a lot better than Richards first year.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:22 PM
roon

Quote:
I didn't really have any strong feelings about it, one way or the other.

Not by me.

If you want Yeo to be fired, that's fine, as long as the new guy only gets ~ 40 games to prove he belongs. If they struggle, then we can move on to the next guy. It's a great precedent to set.
A new system every 40 games. I like it.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:

Adversity = Yeo failed.

You fail to acknowledge that MN had how many new skaters in the lineup? Five or six? About more than anyone else in the league. And you also cherry-pick Yeo's tenure. You fail to mention he had the Wild as the best team in the NHL through 3 months of play, before almost any injuries occurred.

EDIT: Look, I'll even quote you Lebrun today, "I know the passionate Wild fans are growing restless, but no team was hurt more by the lockout (no preseason, short camp) given the nearly 40 percent roster turnover. It will take time for these guys to jell."

L.A. should fire their coach too right? They barely made it through last season, snuck into the playoffs- winning the Cup no doubt- and are again in the bottom of the league right now. Can't seem to win unless it's the playoffs. No, if Yeo did that same thing you would be praising him.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:04 PM
forthewild

People that are calling for Yeo's head need to go away and get some action.

seriously its way to early to call for that, sure it could be better, sure we'd like it more if it was better but give it a few more games, this team is good and it will start performing.

while i have no doubt that Yeo's on the hot seat, its not like there is guys out there who are experienced and waiting for a job that we could just pull.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:21 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
People that are calling for Yeo's head need to go away and get some action.

seriously its way to early to call for that, sure it could be better, sure we'd like it more if it was better but give it a few more games, this team is good and it will start performing.

while i have no doubt that Yeo's on the hot seat, its not like there is guys out there who are experienced and waiting for a job that we could just pull.
Hey, it's not just them that need that...

Wait, what?

Anyway, too small of sample size given the events that have taken place to really get a feel for how Yeo will do as a coach. It's not panic mode but something to keep an eye on and that's about it.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:23 PM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsjohn130 View Post
You fail to acknowledge that MN had how many new skaters in the lineup? Five or six? About more than anyone else in the league. And you also cherry-pick Yeo's tenure. You fail to mention he had the Wild as the best team in the NHL through 3 months of play, before almost any injuries occurred.

EDIT: Look, I'll even quote you Lebrun today, "I know the passionate Wild fans are growing restless, but no team was hurt more by the lockout (no preseason, short camp) given the nearly 40 percent roster turnover. It will take time for these guys to jell."

L.A. should fire their coach too right? They barely made it through last season, snuck into the playoffs- winning the Cup no doubt- and are again in the bottom of the league right now. Can't seem to win unless it's the playoffs. No, if Yeo did that same thing you would be praising him.
You add that phrase to Yeo's reume he gets leeway.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:42 PM
MN_Gopher

I am fine giving him this year. No problem. No one was born a Stanly Cup winner. All were once first time winners.

We have a solid team. A solid youth movement. Some key pieces.

Come trade dealine time. Where do we go? Trade a prospect for some immediate help? Trade a vet for some youth. Fletcher is hand cuffed right now. Going into this season his biggest worry would be which farm hand do i trade, now its where do i go in general?

There are buyers and sellers and people with their hands in their pockets. We are going to be that guy again.

Wasn't it Walz for a first.
Gaborik for nothing
Rolston and Demo let go for nothing
Chris Simon signing
Brunno leaves for nothing

All those moves were based off of a lack of direction. Youth or now. We got very little in return. We payed for it in the future. With no reults in the then present.

In this direction we are not doing well. I would be fine trading a kid for a vet to help now or a vet vet for a kid to help later. Which direction are we going?

I am tired of being average.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:05 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
I am fine giving him this year. No problem. No one was born a Stanly Cup winner. All were once first time winners.

Come trade dealine time. Where do we go? Trade a prospect for some immediate help? Trade a vet for some youth. Fletcher is hand cuffed right now. Going into this season his biggest worry would be which farm hand do i trade, now its where do i go in general?

There are buyers and sellers and people with their hands in their pockets. We are going to be that guy again.

Gaborik for nothing
Chris Simon signing

All those moves were based off of a lack of direction. Youth or now. We got very little in return. We payed for it in the future. With no reults in the then present.

In this direction we are not doing well. I would be fine trading a kid for a vet to help now or a vet vet for a kid to help later. Which direction are we going?

Uh..... wut?

Old
02-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:

Gaborik for nothing
Chris Simon signing

If a move is there, then it's there. If it's not, then it's not. Trade deadline is ~ 1 month away. Do you really want us to define our position after 11 games?

Old
02-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

There will be very few rentals this deadline. The shorter season means more teams will be in it with fewer locks. I'm guessing trades will be second tier or role player swaps or movement for mid- to late-round picks.

Closed Thread