HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

RNH's injury

Old
02-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Meanashell11

vCash: 500
Guys with serious shoulder injuries do not throw checks around like RNH has the past two games.

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:14 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Think it's more of a sophomore slump?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
Guys with serious shoulder injuries do not throw checks around like RNH has the past two games.
That totally depends on the type of shoulder injury. With a rotator cuff/labrum tear type of injury you can throw checks all day as long as you keep your arm close to your body.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:40 AM
awesomo
HARD!

He tried to hit someone hard after Johnson leveled eberle

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Think it's more of a sophomore slump?
This. Plus, given his size, other teams know if they play him hard he will shy away from contact. Kid's got amazing skill, but this is a physical league. I guess Tamblowe forgot that when they built a team of smurfs.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:45 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Still think it was funny how RNH and Hall were holding each others hands on the PP last night
wait.. that didnt sound right

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:06 AM
AlanHUK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
This. Plus, given his size, other teams know if they play him hard he will shy away from contact. Kid's got amazing skill, but this is a physical league. I guess Tamblowe forgot that when they built a team of smurfs.
Didn't Morrow try playing him hard last season and end up on IR because of it? If I recall correctly RNH just ran him over.

AlanHUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:30 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
That totally depends on the type of shoulder injury. With a rotator cuff/labrum tear type of injury you can throw checks all day as long as you keep your arm close to your body.
Why would a guy that generally doesn't hit, go out of his way though?

Seems quite odd that RNH would take the risk.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

In regards to the shoulder injury and impacting RNH play theres one thing thats been pointed out often. Theres no way this is the same shot RNH had a year ago, two years ago etc. He has no zip, no accuracy and a now methodical release as he has to use muscle groups to compensate for the loss of mobility/strength in the shoulder. His shot mechanics are off right now and thus pucks flying anywhere but the target.

All of this being extremely uncharacteristic of Nuge. The Nuge I know used to have a laser pointer at the end of his stick...just look at a spot and put the biscuit right there.

Surprised people aren't noticing how different Nuge's shot is these days. The Nuge I know doesn't miss the net like this or most of the time. Its like watching Cliff Thorburn play with a warped cue..

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:36 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Its not just his shot, its his all around game..pretty good defensively though..

I just think the lockout has had a greater impact than most people realize..maybe a little bit sophomore jinxed as well

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:15 PM
kitchen44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
In regards to the shoulder injury and impacting RNH play theres one thing thats been pointed out often. Theres no way this is the same shot RNH had a year ago, two years ago etc. He has no zip, no accuracy and a now methodical release as he has to use muscle groups to compensate for the loss of mobility/strength in the shoulder. His shot mechanics are off right now and thus pucks flying anywhere but the target.

All of this being extremely uncharacteristic of Nuge. The Nuge I know used to have a laser pointer at the end of his stick...just look at a spot and put the biscuit right there.

Surprised people aren't noticing how different Nuge's shot is these days. The Nuge I know doesn't miss the net like this or most of the time. Its like watching Cliff Thorburn play with a warped cue..
I agree completely, he just cant shoot right now, I dont know if its an injury or just frustration from not being able to score but there is something up with him right now.

if it is his shoulder he needs to get that fixed asap. his shot was his best weapon next too his skating last year, I think he would have at least 5 goals this year if his shot was on like it was last year.

his release last year was just filthy, its depressing to see him drag he puck across the ice and throw it wide from the slot every time.

kitchen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:21 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:

Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. Watch Nuge actually shooting right now. It has nothing to do with his injury, it has everything to do with him bearing down on his stick and trying to throw everything into the shot instead of placing it. Players do that when they get into scoring slumps. Instead of trying to pick corners, they start trying to put the puck through the goalie. Watch the last shot he missed last night, he put every ounce of his body into the shot, and it ended up going high, last year he would have just released, but he held it an extra second for that little bit of power, that ended up putting it over the net.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:27 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I think it is a combo, nuge does have a sore shoulder, but it probably isn't hurting him that much. I think it more has to do with A. he is just in a funk and B. other teams are checking him really tight. He has to adjust.

I expect him to come around. he is a smart kid. He will get rolling again.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHUK View Post
Didn't Morrow try playing him hard last season and end up on IR because of it? If I recall correctly RNH just ran him over.
Sure, Nudge is a beast .... I want him playing that role all day long. That's why they waived Hordicuk, cause the Nudge is the new guy in that role.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:32 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Sure, Nudge is a beast .... I want him playing that role all day long. That's why they waived Hordicuk, cause the Nudge is the new guy in that role.
Who is the Nudge?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:34 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Going back to last year RNH hasn't scored a goal in over 20 games. Yikes.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Who is the Nudge?
A guy from my hockey pool. He lives in the back alley and eats scraps from the McDonalds dumpster.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:40 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Going back to last year RNH hasn't scored a goal in over 20 games. Yikes.
It took the vaunted #1C superstar Sam Gagner 20 games to score his first goal last year. Yikes!

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. Watch Nuge actually shooting right now. It has nothing to do with his injury, it has everything to do with him bearing down on his stick and trying to throw everything into the shot instead of placing it. Players do that when they get into scoring slumps. Instead of trying to pick corners, they start trying to put the puck through the goalie. Watch the last shot he missed last night, he put every ounce of his body into the shot, and it ended up going high, last year he would have just released, but he held it an extra second for that little bit of power, that ended up putting it over the net.
If he's bearing down as you say he's sure not getting much mustard on the shot. I've watched this guy for years. Pure shot mechanics, lightning release, perfect accuracy. Now he can't hit a net to save his life. You think this is all confidence. For a kid that was the best player his age on Earth? Just forgets how to shoot the puck. I dunno. Theres no point in the kids career where he's ever struggled to even hit the net.

If it is the confidence shattered its a worse problem to have.

Did he have a bad Horcoff dream?

It doesn't take much of an injury to impact such things as shooting mechanics. Pretty sure he's hampered. This is not the Nuge accuracy I've seen for years. For me it was one of the attributes that impressed me the most.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:16 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
It took the vaunted #1C superstar Sam Gagner 20 games to score his first goal last year. Yikes!
#1 C superstar eh?

Did Gagner start that season playing between Hall and Eberle or was he on the wing with Belanger and Paajarvi?

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:20 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
If he's bearing down as you say he's sure not getting much mustard on the shot. I've watched this guy for years. Pure shot mechanics, lightning release, perfect accuracy. Now he can't hit a net to save his life. You think this is all confidence. For a kid that was the best player his age on Earth? Just forgets how to shoot the puck. I dunno. Theres no point in the kids career where he's ever struggled to even hit the net.

If it is the confidence shattered its a worse problem to have.

Did he have a bad Horcoff dream?

It doesn't take much of an injury to impact such things as shooting mechanics. Pretty sure he's hampered. This is not the Nuge accuracy I've seen for years. For me it was one of the attributes that impressed me the most.
So is Eberle injured too?

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
#1 C superstar eh?

Did Gagner start that season playing between Hall and Eberle or was he on the wing with Belanger and Paajarvi?
The stretch thats being cited is the start of last season when Gagner was struggling the first 15games with a known ankle injury that was incurred in preseason and that impacted his speed and mobility. It was unfortunate as Gagner was flying in TC.

Of course once he recovered he hasn't looked back.

Not too curiously if you take out the first 15 games last season which Gagner played through (and didn't have to) he's had something around 60pts in 72GP since then.

Something that the anti Gagner crowd won't touch.

I'm guaranteed btw to be accused of specious game sampling here even though were talking a known, quantified injury. So I think its somewhat reasonable to consider that as the reason for Gagner's struggle, just like it might be for RNH's current struggle.

Seems fair.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:16 PM
OiledUp

I don't know. I find it hard to blame the fact he's struggling on a busted shoulder. He's been underwhelming for such a long time and with the lockout would've had so much time to get it rested, rehabbed or operated on.

He just seems off. His skating doesn't look as effortless as it used to, both his straight line speed and his quickness looks worse. He's overthinking and forcing plays. His shot isn't as accurate nor powerful, the release isn't as quick. Pretty much everything is at a slightly lower level as compared to last year, he's still an ok player but he can play so much better.

Too many things seems off for it to be just about a bad shoulder, ofc one particular injury could cause a domino effect and thus throwing more parts of his game, but I'm not convinced.
If I were to guess I'd say it's either confidence, conditioning or general wear and tear aka his body isn't quite ready for pro hockey. And when I say conditioning I'm not suggesting he's been lazy, just that he hasn't learned how to prepare his body for an NHL season yet, sometimes it takes a few seasons before a young player find a regime that works for him during the off season. It can be tricky, especially when everyone wants you to add mass in the process.

Could be all of the above, could also be we're overanalyzing and he just hasn't found his game yet. Hopefully he just needs one good game and he's going again.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote