Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

One thing left - backup goalie

Old
07-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Body Checker

vCash: 500
One thing left - backup goalie

Is Sutter going with Krahn or will he bring in someone as the backup or to compete with Krahn for it??

I will throw in 3 names here: Mikael Tellqvist, Sebastian Caron and Frederic Cassivi.

For some reason I like Caron. He's got talent but was on some bad Penguins teams.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 01:54 AM
kruezer

The only thing I would be looking for would be to grab someone who would accept a two way deal.

Caron would probably consider that no?

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 02:36 AM
Lunatik*

I say bring back McLennan... he will be cheap, he loves the city and the team... and he is an inspirational player in the dressing room... sure he accepts his role as backup but when you are lucky to see 15 games its not a bad trait to have... better than some disgruntled wanna be #1 who cant play well unless they play more often

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Miko

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalunatik1979 View Post
I say bring back McLennan... he will be cheap, he loves the city and the team... and he is an inspirational player in the dressing room... sure he accepts his role as backup but when you are lucky to see 15 games its not a bad trait to have... better than some disgruntled wanna be #1 who cant play well unless they play more often
I like the Noodles suggestion. Everything you said rings true imo. McLennan knows his role and he wouldn't mind at all 15 games a year ,give or take. I'm just wondering if we need to give Kipper some more games off this season. Kipper playing 74 games last season is definitely something worth noting though. No Olympic break to ease the work load. I would feel better with a back-up capable of playing 20 -25 games. M.Dunham and J.Hedberg are ideal candidates from where i sit. That Said. The Krahn Factor.

With or without a back-up signing this year Krahn will get his shot this year. Krahn could very well lock it up in Sutters eyes this training camp. The Flames management invested a lot of time and money in Krahn and might see this as his time grab the bull by the horns . The flames are solid everywhere and this may be the kids chance to grab the back up spot .

Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:14 AM
guzzy

Noodles is back.

One year - $575,000

Good back up and great team guy. A real chemistry guy in the locker room. I was sad to see him go in 04

guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:19 AM
NB_Oiler_Fan

Indeed he is...

is this the end of Sutter's work?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...06_090024_5504

NB_Oiler_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:28 AM
cooksond

I would have to think that beyond the odd depth signing, maybe a 7th d-man or some guys for Omaha, that Sutter would be done. Nothing else jumps out as being an immediate need.

cooksond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:41 AM
tysester

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
Noodles is back.

One year - $575,000

Good back up and great team guy. A real chemistry guy in the locker room. I was sad to see him go in 04

Great for team chemistry but can he start 15 games? It says that he played 17 last year with a 2-4-0 record which probably means he started only 6 of them (or thereabouts).
I certainly hope that he can give Kipper more of a rest than he got last year (played 74 games), Mikka shouldn't play more than 65-68 if we want to rely on him to be tip-top in the playoffs.

tysester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Rudolf Yaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysester View Post
Great for team chemistry but can he start 15 games? It says that he played 17 last year with a 2-4-0 record which probably means he started only 6 of them (or thereabouts).
I certainly hope that he can give Kipper more of a rest than he got last year (played 74 games), Mikka shouldn't play more than 65-68 if we want to rely on him to be tip-top in the playoffs.
McLennan will be able to play more than last year. He stepped in when the Flames had goalie injuries years back and did quite well. I think he is the ideal backup for a top 5 goalie; knows his role, supportive, does his job, and doesn't complain.

Great to see him back.

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 02:48 PM
tysester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perogieboy View Post
McLennan will be able to play more than last year. He stepped in when the Flames had goalie injuries years back and did quite well. I think he is the ideal backup for a top 5 goalie; knows his role, supportive, does his job, and doesn't complain.

Great to see him back.

I really hope that he can play that much...
I just remembered that when Luongo and the Panthers were in last ditch contract talks one of his demands was that they resign McLennan as backup. That really speaks to his character I think.

tysester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 03:53 PM
TomHBlain

Send a message via AIM to TomHBlain
So whats the story on Krahn? He has been in the Calgary system for sometime right? Is he just going to stay in the AHL for another year or two? I thoguht by now he would be ready to become Mikka's backup.

TomHBlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Zimmer12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHBlain View Post
So whats the story on Krahn? He has been in the Calgary system for sometime right? Is he just going to stay in the AHL for another year or two? I thoguht by now he would be ready to become Mikka's backup.
I thought I heard Sportsnet or TSN mention last year, that Krahn looked pretty good in camp last year. I really don't know what the Flames should do with this guy. Now that we drafted Leland Irving, Krahn will definately not be needed in the next couple years. Unless he can really prove that he is something in camp, he will be between a rock and a hard place? What does he make a year?

Zimmer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:53 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmer12 View Post
I thought I heard Sportsnet or TSN mention last year, that Krahn looked pretty good in camp last year. I really don't know what the Flames should do with this guy. Now that we drafted Leland Irving, Krahn will definately not be needed in the next couple years. Unless he can really prove that he is something in camp, he will be between a rock and a hard place? What does he make a year?
I believe Krahn is making 627k right now.

I still think Krahn will get some games in the big leagues this year, they can get Kipper even more rest without playing Noodles too much if they can get Krahn into 4 or 5 games over the course of the year, he needs to get a taste of the NHL sometime now, he has the talent to at least be a solid backup.

Old
07-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHBlain View Post
I still think he could use one more full season in the AHL. It won't do him any good to sit behind Kipper this season, with the knowledge that he likely won't get much more than 8-10 games. He'd be better off in Omaha playing 50+ games for one last season. I think that's why McLennan was signed for just the one year (a good pick up again by Sutter). I think Krahn could back up now (he's vastly improved since turning pro), but I think it would be best for him to see more action in the AHL, as opposed to being Kipper's caddy.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
well nice to see that we have found our answer to Luongo already, now we jsut need to get Noodles his own Zamboni and sneek him on during canucks pre game skates.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:14 PM
swo2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer View Post
I believe Krahn is making 627k right now.

I still think Krahn will get some games in the big leagues this year, they can get Kipper even more rest without playing Noodles too much if they can get Krahn into 4 or 5 games over the course of the year, he needs to get a taste of the NHL sometime now, he has the talent to at least be a solid backup.
Krahn is either the starter in Omaha, or he's the backup for the Flames and plays when Kipper gets a night off, he's not both. Calling up Krahn to start in place of Kipper, instead of going with a very capable Jamie McLennan on a wim just screams bush league to me.

If McLennan isn't getting the job done, then that is something that needs to be addressed, and will be addressed by Sutter during the course of the season.

Krahn (for development's sake) is best suited to play 55-60 games in the AHL, than to rot on the pine for the Flames while Kipper plays another 70 games this season.

swo2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:25 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swo2k1 View Post
Krahn is either the starter in Omaha, or he's the backup for the Flames and plays when Kipper gets a night off, he's not both. Calling up Krahn to start in place of Kipper, instead of going with a very capable Jamie McLennan on a wim just screams bush league to me.

If McLennan isn't getting the job done, then that is something that needs to be addressed, and will be addressed by Sutter during the course of the season.

Krahn (for development's sake) is best suited to play 55-60 games in the AHL, than to rot on the pine for the Flames while Kipper plays another 70 games this season.
I don't see why it would be on a whim, it would certainly be planned, and I am sure that J-mac would know what was going on, it would definetaly not be done as some shot at McLennan, but I am sure he understands his role and also the Flames desire to develop their young goalie, I don't think McLennan would freak out over it at all, its not like its some new thing, many teams have done the same thing with their young goalies to get them experience in years past.

I see no reason why it couldn't be done, J-mac is likely done in a year, Krahn needs to get the experience, playing a full season in the AHL (which I think would be great for him) is awesome and all, but he has to play some games in the bigs at some point, for developments sake.

Old
07-06-2006, 09:45 PM
swo2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer View Post
I don't see why it would be on a whim, it would certainly be planned, and I am sure that J-mac would know what was going on, it would definetaly not be done as some shot at McLennan, but I am sure he understands his role and also the Flames desire to develop their young goalie, I don't think McLennan would freak out over it at all, its not like its some new thing, many teams have done the same thing with their young goalies to get them experience in years past.

I see no reason why it couldn't be done, J-mac is likely done in a year, Krahn needs to get the experience, playing a full season in the AHL (which I think would be great for him) is awesome and all, but he has to play some games in the bigs at some point, for developments sake.

I understand what you are saying about getting Krahn some games, but I think that is where the exhibition season comes into play. And I realize that exhibition isn't the same thing as regular season games, but I look at it as Krahn is best suited to stay in Omaha for another full season (his second as an AHL starter) to earn the experience of being a starter in the pro's, but is also given the chance to play against (some of) the best players in the game during NHL type situations, which can be a very valuable experience in itself.

And I agree McLennan might be done after this year, and if he is, then you bring Krahn up, or maybe you keep Krahn down in Omaha for two years until Leland Irving is ready to join the AHL ranks. Just to give Krahn some more seasoning. Or maybe, Sutter isn't convinced that Krahn is the guy?

I don't know the answer, but I just come from the belief that you have two goalies on your team, not three, and you don't give games to prospects just because. If Brent Krahn is deserving to be starting above Jamie McLennan when it is Kipper's night off then Brent Krahn should be the back up and Noodles shouldn't be a Calgary Flame.

swo2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmer12 View Post
actually all of the Flames goaltenders played well in camp last season... both Krahn and Curtis McElhinney played very well in their pre-season assignments and challenged Sauve for the back-up job

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:05 PM
natural420*

i've been waiting to see krahn play for a while. saw him play with the hitmen so i've been looking forward to him playing with us for a while. was hoping we'd give him a shot this year and at worst get his pricetag a bit higher if we do ever decide to deal em. dosent look good now though. oh well. i do hope we see him play somewhere soon. hopefuly somewhere in the east

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote