HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

MSG Broadcast rarely on NHL Center Ice

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 11:20 AM
  #26
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,264
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realize View Post
That is really cr$p because I don't want to watch every NYR game with the feed of the other team just to have a better quality.
It just suxx.

You should try the difference between the TBL and NYR feed from last game, it's really not just a little bit better quality with TBL.

I won't be able to do that, since I get the MSG feed in HD since I'm in NY.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:21 AM
  #27
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,264
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Just going to throw this into the ring as well.

Rick Jeanneret. Lived in Buffalo for four years. I understand why Sabres fans love him, I really do. But if you're not a Sabres fan, and you're watching a Sabres game... my ****ing God. It is horrible.

Dude is an icon. He is loved in Buffalo and when he retires it's going to be a sad day for hockey, no doubt about it. But I'm so glad I never have to hear him call a game again.

(Would like to take this opportunity to say that I'm glad RJ is in better health these days)

SCOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOore
Top shelf, where momma hides the cookies!

Holy **** that's bad.

Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:28 PM
  #28
cjc5103
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 514
vCash: 500
Okay, not sure if this guys in THIS thread or deserves its own but does anyone (or know anyone) who uses a Slingbox to broadcast games on MSG?

My family lives in NJ but I'm in DC so I would just hook it up to one of my HD teams in NJ and broadcast it over.

I've heard good reviews online, but I'm wondering if anyone actually does this.

cjc5103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:36 PM
  #29
acapps10
Registered User
 
acapps10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
I use Streamo's stream for pregame, postgame and in between periods because it does suck that you rarely get an MSG feed on Center Ice. But using Streamo side by side with it is the way to go.

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:01 PM
  #30
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,205
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
This is why I tell everyone to get DirecTV if possible, you will get every single game with an MSG feed in HD.
If only I could

I use the streamo feed and download the match the next day if I missed it.

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:12 PM
  #31
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjc5103 View Post
Okay, not sure if this guys in THIS thread or deserves its own but does anyone (or know anyone) who uses a Slingbox to broadcast games on MSG?

My family lives in NJ but I'm in DC so I would just hook it up to one of my HD teams in NJ and broadcast it over.

I've heard good reviews online, but I'm wondering if anyone actually does this.
It all depends on your internet connection both where your slingbox is located, and where you're watching your slingbox.

If you have a great internet connection, you're going to have a good time. If your internet connection is shoddy, it's going to be less fun.

Also, when you're using your slingbox, the cable box that the slingbox is hooked up to cannot be used by anyone in the location where the slingbox is. Well, they can use it, they just have to want to be watching what you're watching. Does that make sense? Basically, if you're watching the Rangers in DC on the slingbox, and someone in NJ goes over to the television that the slingbox is hooked up to and decides to watch Honey Boo Boo, you will be watching Honey Boo Boo as well. (I hope this paragraph makes sense).

I used a slingbox my entire freshman year at UB while dorming, and it was fantastic because the internet allowed it to be. When I moved off campus, however, it was a completely different story and led to me purchasing Center Ice because the feed was so terrible due to the internet.

Hope that helps!

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:17 PM
  #32
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
ROOT, the guys on NESN, and maybe the Caps announcers. All pretty terrible.
Nobody is worse than Jack Edwards on NESN. Never heard a more unprofessional announcer on TV than him.

You guys have it well, Sam Rosen is the best in the business.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:32 PM
  #33
ZacUSNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Upstate, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
I love Sam. I got to meet him during a break, Ray Bourque was in Albany last year (watching Ryan play for the Rangers in pre-season) and during the first intermission everyone flocked over towards his area. I went over to where Sam/Joe were sitting and got to tell Sam how much of a fan of his I was, shook his hand, and had him sign my hat lol.

I got back to my seat and my wife is like "You're so pathetic, I think you're about to cry".

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
  #34
cjc5103
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
It all depends on your internet connection both where your slingbox is located, and where you're watching your slingbox.

If you have a great internet connection, you're going to have a good time. If your internet connection is shoddy, it's going to be less fun.

Also, when you're using your slingbox, the cable box that the slingbox is hooked up to cannot be used by anyone in the location where the slingbox is. Well, they can use it, they just have to want to be watching what you're watching. Does that make sense? Basically, if you're watching the Rangers in DC on the slingbox, and someone in NJ goes over to the television that the slingbox is hooked up to and decides to watch Honey Boo Boo, you will be watching Honey Boo Boo as well. (I hope this paragraph makes sense).

I used a slingbox my entire freshman year at UB while dorming, and it was fantastic because the internet allowed it to be. When I moved off campus, however, it was a completely different story and led to me purchasing Center Ice because the feed was so terrible due to the internet.

Hope that helps!

Yes, that does. How would you say the difficulty of setting everything up is? Also, did you watch it on your computer or TV? I've heard that trying to stream it on a 42" HDTV won't come up as good, but we'll see.

Ideally, I would just get an extra cable box at home and not connect a TV to it.

cjc5103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:20 PM
  #35
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,898
vCash: 500
I agree that Jack Edwards is not fun to listen to on a broadcast...very homerish...actually whiny. Must be the Tom Heinsohn influence up in Boston.

He does, however, give pretty good blow by blow descriptions of hockey fights!

I do like Rick Jeanneret, however. His folksy sayings take some getting used to (not unlike Mike Lange in Pittsburgh, who is now on radio), but Rick is one announcer who gets just as excited when the Sabres are scored against as when they Sabres score a goal.

Rick Peckham is very good on Lightning telecasts....he was the old Hartford Whalers announce when they were in the NHL.

Some other good play by play guys around the league...Randy Hahn in San Jose, Bob Miller in LA, Dean Brown in Ottawa, Pat Foley in Chicago, John Kelly in St Louis, Ralph Strangis in Dallas, and John Shorthouse in Vancouver.

The best, however, is Jim Hughson of CBC Hockey Night in Canada. Nobody else is close.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:40 PM
  #36
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjc5103 View Post
Yes, that does. How would you say the difficulty of setting everything up is? Also, did you watch it on your computer or TV? I've heard that trying to stream it on a 42" HDTV won't come up as good, but we'll see.

Ideally, I would just get an extra cable box at home and not connect a TV to it.
I was always a little "ahead of the curve" when it comes to that kind of technology stuff (not saying I'm a genius by any means, because I'm basically average) but from the years of always hooking up my own video game systems and such, installing the Slingbox was quite easy for me. It should come with detailed instructions anyway, and if you're having trouble their customer service is decent.

I always watched on my PC, but if your connection is good enough, and the stream is clear enough, you might not have too much of an issue running an HDMI to a tv and trying to watch on there as well.

Wouldn't hurt to try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I do like Rick Jeanneret, however. His folksy sayings take some getting used to (not unlike Mike Lange in Pittsburgh, who is now on radio), but Rick is one announcer who gets just as excited when the Sabres are scored against as when they Sabres score a goal.
You really think so? From what I remember he was rather dull when the Sabres got scored on. Maybe that's just in comparison to his over the top calls when the Sabres score.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:52 PM
  #37
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 566
I've been buying center ice for years, at least 6. ...And yes very often you won't get the MSG broadcast or the MSG broadcast will be in SD. Basically my conclusion is that Dolan is a ********* who also owns a cable company. To promote his cable company he restricts the HD sports network to his cable company. Or at least tries to. He'll keep dragging it out as long as he can.

Quote:
Just as Verizon yesterday was busy telling customers they'd finally be getting MSG HD in a few weeks after a long fight with Cablevision, Cablevision was busy filing suit against the FCC for their order requiring Cablevision share Dolan-owned programming.
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/C...-MSG-HD-117080

This year I've gone with the NHL GameCenter Live subscription because the provider I now use, doesn't even offer CenterIce so instead I stream it to my PC through an internet capable device. GameCenter has it's quirks, though I'm almost always able to get the MSG broadcast in HD.

All home team announcers are homers, though some are really bad it makes listening to the game difficult, i.e. Boston.


Take that Jack Edwards!!!!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:09 AM
  #38
NCRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,277
vCash: 500
The interesting thing about Jack Edwards is that about 10 years ago, he was fired from ESPN's coverage of the US Soccer Team because he was too much of a "homer". I thought that was kind of ridiculous, but he is obviously a ridiculous homer on the Bruins broadcasts.

I've found that most broadcasts are very home-team centric, and some worse than others, i.e. Pittsburgh and Boston. At least with Boston's, Edwards and Brickley know the game. I can't say that about Pittsburgh's. Most of the issues I have with the broadcasts are less with the play-by-play guys, and more with the "color commentators". I really don't need to hear about their personal lives. The worst ones are the ones that broadcast the games like they're broadcasting to a middle school, i.e. screaming like schoolgirls when their team scores. The Tampa radio guy is the worst when it comes to this, as well as Dan Kamal when Atlanta had a team.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 05:11 PM
  #39
Slick Rick 61
Registered User
 
Slick Rick 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 434
vCash: 500
Sorry for bumping this, but it popped up as I used google to search if MSG was in yet another dispute with cable companies.

I have Center Ice with digital cable, so inDemand provides me games. This year, the lack of MSG is the worst it's ever been. Before all of the HD games (3-4 years ago), MSG feed was available EVERY night, in SD just like the other games. Just last year we finally got some MSG games in HD, but this year, it's been next to none. It's ********.

Anyone else with CI and a digital cable provider noticing this as well? I'm tired of it. Sure, all of the games in HD is awesome, but the main reason I buy is to watch the Rangers.

GameCenter and hooking up to my TV with HDMI isn't always convenient, as I tend to use my laptop while watching the games. I don't feel it would be a good fit for me to use GCL on my ipad, either, so I just bought the package like usual. From now on, though, I'll be damn sure to buy GCL. I'm seriously pissed about it.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.