HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 12:11 PM
RattleYourSabre

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Time to get him away from this dumpster fire and back into a winning environment.
Which would be where? He's not eligible for the AHL, is he? Can they send him back to the Q now?

Last edited by RattleYourSabre: 02-11-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to put "not" between "he's" and "eligible". Uhh. Whoops.
Old
02-11-2013, 12:15 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre View Post
Which would be where? He's not eligible for the AHL, is he? Can they send him back to the Q now?
as I understand it, they can send him back the Q but the year of his contract is still burned

Old
02-11-2013, 12:26 PM
jfb392

Quote:
They already look pretty bad. This is another instance where Ted needs to be paying attention. The long-term good of the team is more important than some part of the Ruff-Regier Master-Blaster losing face.
You'd hope, but I expect nothing more than "x was fine after not being productive and being scratched/wasting away on the fourth line at 18".

Too bad I don't really like that excuse to begin with and the relevance of it is lessened with decreased practice time due to a shortened season..

Quote:
They could scratch him for a long period of time and get him a conditioning stint in the AHL, but that's only for a limited period of time and requires commissioner approval.
Without going that route, they'd only be able to send him to the Q and would not be able to recall him until his season was finished.

They have until the trade deadline (4/3) to make a decision and regardless of where he plays the rest of the season, they've already burned the first year of his ELC.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:41 PM
OkimLom

I personally have no problem with Benching Grigorenko in general. The kid has the drive to succeed in the NHL, but his Strength is still lacking which I think is the cause of him losing so many easy passes and battles. I don't see a little harm in letting him view the game from the press box to let him see how quick the game is from junior after experiencing it first hand. Let him step back from the game.

However, I do have issue with Lindy benching him over a VETERAN who has been in Lindy's system for a while now; Hecht. Hecht has been dreadful. Taking Ill-timed penalties, not playing well on the forecheck and all around not playing well positioning.

For me its not THAT Grigorenko was benched, but WHO he was benched OVER. Thats why players feel content once they're pegged a Lindy guy because no matter how many times they screw up or how bad they screw up, they will still have their consistent shifts and possibly even more shifts.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:45 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

I can't believe how slow he looks. He needs to get some business cards from Cody.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:46 PM
RattleYourSabre

Okim, perfectly said.

And if Lindy was smart he'd come out and say that... "Well, we felt it was best to have him view the game from the press box for a night. You know, let him see the ice from a distance. We thought it would be good for his development and his game. He'll be back out there for sure next game. This isn't a punishment or a reprimand for doing anything wrong. We're using it as an opportunity to teach him the game. We're VERY happy with Mikhail."

But the other part of the issue is who he was benched for.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I can't believe how slow he looks. He needs to get some business cards from Cody.
I think it's a combination of things: his style of game and his skating style.
I think he's pretty technically proficient like typical Russian skaters are, but he's very upright a lot of the time.
I think he can make it work in the long run, he just needs to learn how to make more of his shifts.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:11 PM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
They already look pretty bad. This is another instance where Ted needs to be paying attention. The long-term good of the team is more important than some part of the Ruff-Regier Master-Blaster losing face.
Just throwing this out there....

What if it was Black/Pegula and Regier who wanted Grigs to stay and Ruff wanted to send him back. From the way Ruff handled him during his five game stand that makes more sense to me.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:19 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
I don't think his skating is actually that slow -- he seems pretty average in that department, though I think it's his style of play can make it look like he's worse than he is. (I can recall a few big, playmaking centers who people said looked slow/lazy, especially when they were younger.)

1) He's not trying to blow anyone away with speed. His bread and butter is how well he thinks the game and his ability to make tough passes. It was said well before the draft that he's a guy who likes to slow the play down and control the pace of the game that way.
2) He's pretty tall. The most efficient stride he could make isn't going to make it look like he's wearing rocket launchers on his feet.
3) He's young and not fully physically developed. I suspect as he matures and fills out his frame more, his strides will become more powerful and he'll be stronger on his skates.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:31 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Okim, perfectly said.

And if Lindy was smart he'd come out and say that... "Well, we felt it was best to have him view the game from the press box for a night. You know, let him see the ice from a distance. We thought it would be good for his development and his game. He'll be back out there for sure next game. This isn't a punishment or a reprimand for doing anything wrong. We're using it as an opportunity to teach him the game. We're VERY happy with Mikhail."

But the other part of the issue is who he was benched for.
Lindy sort of said that in his post game presser last night. He said that giving him nights off is for development and is part of the process.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:06 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
I personally have no problem with Benching Grigorenko in general. The kid has the drive to succeed in the NHL, but his Strength is still lacking which I think is the cause of him losing so many easy passes and battles. I don't see a little harm in letting him view the game from the press box to let him see how quick the game is from junior after experiencing it first hand. Let him step back from the game.

However, I do have issue with Lindy benching him over a VETERAN who has been in Lindy's system for a while now; Hecht. Hecht has been dreadful. Taking Ill-timed penalties, not playing well on the forecheck and all around not playing well positioning.

For me its not THAT Grigorenko was benched, but WHO he was benched OVER. Thats why players feel content once they're pegged a Lindy guy because no matter how many times they screw up or how bad they screw up, they will still have their consistent shifts and possibly even more shifts.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Hecht is what popped up in my mind. Ruff is a bum for this reason alone.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:26 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Lindy sort of said that in his post game presser last night. He said that giving him nights off is for development and is part of the process.
That's literally exactly what he said. "It's a part of the plan"... he wanted him to see the game from up top; my issue is that he mentioned "it's the second of back-to-back's"... Your 18-year old rookie is the one whose legs you're worried about? Come on. It's not like he's never played games on consecutive nights in his young career. That shouldn't have any bearing there.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
That's literally exactly what he said. "It's a part of the plan"... he wanted him to see the game from up top; my issue is that he mentioned "it's the second of back-to-back's"... Your 18-year old rookie is the one whose legs you're worried about? Come on. It's not like he's never played games on consecutive nights in his young career. That shouldn't have any bearing there.
Even Patrick Roy had mentioned that conditioning was one of Mikhail's weaker points, so it's not like conditioning isn't a known issue.

2nd of a back-to-back and 6th in 8 days? Against a team known for physicality who was likely going to look for a modicum of payback for the beatdown we handed them eariler?

IMO, the benching came at a perfect time and makes total sense to me. It's the perfect game for him to watch and learn. And looking at our upcoming schedule, we don't go back-to-back at the end of a 6 in 8 again.

And technically speaking, he wasn't benched for Hecht, who has played every game this year --- he was technically benched for McCormick, who I thought played an OK game.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:05 PM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Well, that's a bit more reassuring. I hadn't heard the presses, so thank you to you guys for setting me straight there. Still not a big fan of it, but it makes sense from a coaching perspective, at least.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Kilts79

Quote:

+1 just a slug

Old
02-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I don't mind at all if Grigorenko struggles this season. This really is a lost season in my mind for the team, and should be used with the purpose of finding out what the potential is for Hodgson, Ennis, Foligno, Grigorenko, and still Myers even. I think Grigs will still be better off next season for his time spent in the NHL this season. He may have the right attitude, but to see right up close just how far off he is on the NHL level should be either an eye opener or provide the proper motivation to works on his weaknesses. If the major weakness is conditioning, well that's easy to work on. If he comes back after a stint with Gary Roberts a la Hodgson he'll be at least one step ahead of where he would've been if he stayed in the Q and came in next season still ignorant of what he needed to work on.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

If we are going to be toiling away in the basement there is absolutely no reason why Grigorenko shouldn't get some time with Vanek and Pominville, I wanna see what the kid can do with offensively talented players. He plays with offensive dynamos like Ott, Hecht and John Scott. Ott averages 12 goals every 82 games and that's the most talented player offensively you play with your most prized prospect? Ruff is a joke.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
If we are going to be toiling away in the basement there is absolutely no reason why Grigorenko shouldn't get some time with Vanek and Pominville, I wanna see what the kid can do with offensively talented players. He plays with offensive dynamos like Ott, Hecht and John Scott. Ott averages 12 goals every 82 games and that's the most talented player offensively you play with your most prized prospect? Ruff is a joke.
With Leino looking to be done for the season, there really isn't anyone to play him with, and he rarely is out with Scott.

It is usually Hecht-Grigorenko-Foligno or Hecht-Grigorenko-Ott

There really isn't much else to try unless you move Ennis or Grigorenko to the wing. We just have no depth on this team right now.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Has anyone else noticed he seems a bit unwilling to battle along the boards? It's probably my biggest complaint about him so far. Was this something discussed going into the draft?

Old
02-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Has anyone else noticed he seems a bit unwilling to battle along the boards? It's probably my biggest complaint about him so far. Was this something discussed going into the draft?
He's probably scared that he'll be benched for games

But I think it's just some fear of being rattled.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:44 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Yes. He was doing it in junior hockey... weaknesses are going to be more evident in the NHL.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:56 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

Grigorenko isn't a grinder, he is an offensive weapon. Ruff would play Stamkos on the 3rd line too, because of his size.

(no, I'm not saying Grigorenko is Stamkos, just making a point about Ruff)

Old
02-15-2013, 05:17 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
They made a mistake keeping him. He's not ready.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:53 AM
LGBuffalo

The one thing that encourages me is that Grigorenko has had flashes of excellent play. You can tell that board work and "blow you away" speed aren't going to be his strong points, but how he moves the puck and gets into scoring areas are. He's made some great plays, and the hope is once the game slows down in his head, and he can wrap his head around the timing of the play, he'll be better. Given the nature of how this season has gone, it's not a bad year to develop his game.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:02 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

I like the kid, it's still early days and I like what I've seen. I'm glad we've kept him but I'd like to see him try harder, maybe being a bit more flashy and taking some risks. Even if he makes mistakes thats what I'd like to see in the early days. He can settle down later.

Closed Thread