HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need a heavyweight enforcer...

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Darcy Hordichuk on waivers?
Yes 21 33.87%
No 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Corncob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeypuck191 View Post
If bergevin doesn't acquire some heavyweight fighters he should be fired period.
Some? How many are you looking for?

Old
02-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well Hordichuk is on waivers now. I think of him more in the Staubitz/middleweight category, though, and he's a bit beat up at this stage in his career, non?

But there's a freebie. What players would you get rid of to make room?

I still don't know what number he is wearing.....

Old
02-11-2013, 11:25 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Hordichuk is washed up. Will be like Laraque fiasco. We can find way better.
He fought 10 times last year and definitely still can take care of business. We can find better, but in this case, it's a good stopgap.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
At what cost? And then, isn't that kind of what people are looking for anyway? Aren't all these guys operating under The Code, and what good did having Laraque ever do? It comes full circle. Anyway, the Habs haven't traded Kaberle or Weber, probably aren't going to demote Gallagher or waive White, or send Galchenyuk back to juniors, and are super-healthy atm... so... claiming Hordichuk isn't really a viable move at this snapshot in time.

And: Therrien won't let Colby go this soon. Alas.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:30 AM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
He fought 10 times last year and definitely still can take care of business. We can find better, but in this case, it's a good stopgap.
Hordi was good when he was younger but now, is old, injurie prone and he think he can be a hockey player. Oh, and he look tough when he talk to the media but rarely show it on the ice. That look alot like Laraque 2.0 if you ask me.....Not what the habs should looking for but its better than nothing

Old
02-11-2013, 11:34 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Hordi was good when he was younger but now, is old, injurie prone and he think he can be a hockey player. Oh, and he look tough when he talk to the media but rarely show it on the ice. That look alot like Laraque 2.0 if you ask me.....Not what the habs should looking for
Then who should we be looking for? And which teams are going to hand these players to us?

The best moment to get a legit quality HW is in summertime. In the meantime, we have to somehow get what we can while we can. As for him being a disaster, well he doesn,t cost as much as Laraque, and after being put of waivers, I'm sure he'll be looking to redempt himself. That being said, I still don't see any similarity to Laraque. The guy twice as quick as BGL, and he has an history of actually fighting 10-15 times per year.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
bud12

Quote:
Then who should we be looking for? And which teams are going to hand these players to us?

The best moment to get a legit quality HW is in summertime. In the meantime, we have to somehow get what we can while we can. As for him being a disaster, well he doesn,t cost as much as Laraque, and after being put of waivers, I'm sure he'll be looking to redempt himself. That being said, I still don't see any similarity to Laraque. The guy twice as quick as BGL, and he has an history of actually fighting 10-15 times per year.
Laraque had 10 fight in 2008-09 and played like what? 40 games. Hordi doesn't really fight more. Mcgrattan and Kassian could be add for what? a 7th rounder?. Those 2 would be better option

Old
02-11-2013, 11:52 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Hordichuk last 3 seasons: 32 fights in 163 games = Fights in 19.6% of the games; 16 per 82 in average
Laraque 3 seasons before Montreal: 30 fights in 216 games = Fights in 13.9% of the games; 11 per 82 in average

I wouldn't say Hordichuk is as pathetic as Laraque was, plus he actually skates. If we're looking for a stopgap who won't complain if he sits 2 games out of 3, I think we have our man.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:53 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Laraque had 10 fight in 2008-09 and played like what? 40 games. Hordi doesn't really fight more. Mcgrattan and Kassian could be add for what? a 7th rounder?. Those 2 would be better option
McGrattan is definitely not something I'd look to add to an NHL lineup. A real headcase and has some real shady rumours going about him.

Kassian is not available, as pointed by their coach. He's still in the Wild's plans.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
I'm with you on this. Hordichuk saw a lot of fists and has lot of mileage. Don't think he's the best choice

If the Habs go for an enforcer at least get a young guy who has something to prove and or a tough D. I like the suggestions of Kassian and Eskrine , especially the latter. Eskrine is tough as nail and is also a decent hockey player. Not Bobby Orr by any means but we're not talking about Todd Simpson either. The guy has been with tehe Caps for a while and can even score a goal from time to time.

He would be my first choice. But is he available and how much he would cost if he is ? That's the question.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Maxpac

Quote:

Kassian is not available, as pointed by their coach. He's still in the Wild's plans.
I HIGHLY doubt that. Rupp, Konipka and Stoner is good enough to go up against anybody, especially in the western conference. Kassian would of been a treat to watch last saturday!

Old
02-11-2013, 12:47 PM
lampshade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I HIGHLY doubt that. Rupp, Konipka and Stoner is good enough to go up against anybody, especially in the western conference. Kassian would of been a treat to watch last saturday!
Doubt it all you want it's facts. Kassian is a tough guy and a elite fighter, problem is he offers nothing Orr hasn't seen. Would he help the habs? Maybe, however he wouldn't stop the abuse.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:49 PM
ninetynine*

Actually the Wild coach said Kassian was done there after they traded for Rupp. Anyway it's possible they want a draft pick for him instead of waiving him in which case they can go **** themselves.

Hordichuk is on waivers right now though, should pick him up, and if Kassian follows that's a great 1-2 punch! Hordi's fought everyone.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Actually the Wild coach said Kassian was done there after they traded for Rupp. Anyway it's possible they want a draft pick for him instead of waiving him in which case they can go **** themselves.

Hordichuk is on waivers right now though, should pick him up, and if Kassian follows that's a great 1-2 punch! Hordi's fought everyone.
Hordichuk's a middle weight. He may have fought everyone, but he'd lose to most heavies. Not much better of a fighter than Prust -- if at all.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:53 PM
lampshade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Hordichuk's a middle weight. He may have fought everyone, but he'd lose to most heavies. Not much better of a fighter than Prust -- if at all.
Hordi (although a little long in the tooth) excuse the pun is a much better fighter then Prust. Hordi has and will drop them with the hw, something Prust has avoided over the two games with the Leafs. Might be your best option right now.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:11 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Repeating the same stuff over and over again like you do doesn't make it any truer.

oh, and...

Old
02-11-2013, 01:29 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Curious, how useless is kassian as a player? Watched some fight videos and he's pretty beast.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:41 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Curious, how useless is kassian as a player? Watched some fight videos and he's pretty beast.
I've not watched him play that often. That being said, useless player for useless player, I take the psychopath way before the wussy who weights 185 pounds and has trouble staying on his skates.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:43 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

I didn't really care for having a heavyweight in the past but I'll take one instead of useless Armstrong, if we're going to have a guy sucking offensively and defensively on our 4th line I'd rather just have a fighter.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:46 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I've not watched him play that often. That being said, useless player for useless player, I take the psychopath way before the wussy who weights 185 pounds and has trouble staying on his skates.
Aye, I should rephrase. How much will he hurt us while he's on the ice, is what I meant. Reading up about hordichuk in the waivers thread.. one guy said that having him out there is like being on the PK for his entire shift. Ouch.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Aye, I should rephrase. How much will he hurt us while he's on the ice, is what I meant. Reading up about hordichuk in the waivers thread.. one guy said that having him out there is like being on the PK for his entire shift. Ouch.
It's about knowing how to put him out there IMO. You obviously won't play those guys more than 4-5 minutes per game, and they won't dress every game. It's also about double-shifting a hot player from time to time.

The downside of having a guy like Hordichuk or Kassian, is that obviously they more likely than not are not going to be great players with or without the puck.

That being said, for the Hordichuk comment, knowing the defensive game the Oilers play out there, it's pretty much the case of each of their line when they get stuck in their own zone.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Kassian is pretty useless when he isn't fighting. If there was a way to clone Patrick Bordeleau (fantastic skater for an enforcer, serviceable 4th liner, great hitter, people are scared to death to face him in a fight so he has only two fighting majors thsi season and suprisingly he's not a liability on the ice) to get him playing both in Denver and Montreal it would be a dream come true

He and McLeod are one of the few bright spots on the Avs.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:20 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
What's the Oilers fourth line like? Our fourth is actualy solid with Moen and Eller/White, maybe he'd fit better with guys who can skate and play in the defensive zone.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:23 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Kassian is pretty useless when he isn't fighting. If there was a way to clone Patrick Bordeleau (fantastic skater for an enforcer, serviceable 4th liner, great hitter, people are scared to death to face him in a fight so he has only two fighting majors thsi season and suprisingly he's not a liability on the ice) to get him playing both in Denver and Montreal it would be a dream come true

He and McLeod are one of the few bright spots on the Avs.

I wonder if he'll test free agency this year. Montreal would be sure to come calling, and would likely outbid most for his services.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:28 PM
ChoseLa

I'm pretty sure Bordeleau will just sign with the Avs, he just made a breaktrough in the league and will hang to any kind of opportunity to stay there.

Closed Thread