Bruins Officially Worst (30th) PP and Best (1st) PK in NHL

Old
02-11-2013, 01:25 PM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
19th and 25th ranked powerplays last year over 82 games. That's the thing about powerplays in the NHL, they change wildly in the NHL from year to year as much as any one team stat that I can find. Very few teams are consistent and if they are they're usually consistently great because of the personnel they have.
The Bruins powerplay is simply not good enough but I wouldn't fire a coach who has a very long history with the head coach including a Stanley Cup just because of it. Do we even know what else Ward is really responsible for? A lot of the Bruins powerplay problem is personnel, just don't have it without Savvy. It seems like Krejci should be the type who's excellent on the powerplay but he's looked lost out there his whole career. Chara's got a bomb but he's no Markov type quarterback. I do agree with switching it up, too much of the same old, same old.
I wouldn't fire Ward (I think Houda is PP, no?)...just take those duties away from him...I think he's a good hockey mind...His PP system sucks...Nobody is perfect .

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:26 PM
BruinsPortugal

If you can score 5on5 you sure as hell can score 5on3. Seguin has a fantastic release, chara has a bomb, Hamilton was one of the best pp qb in the ohl, krejci is a great passer....how can that be personnel??!
It is coaching, period.

As long as they are winning i couldnt care less but it is..annoying.

BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
If our Penalty Kill is so good and our Power Play is so pathetic, then the Power play should practice against the Penalty Kill until the Power play is more set. If our power play can score against the penalty kill in practice on a consistent basis, chances are they'll score more against the other team's PK.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:34 PM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
If our Penalty Kill is so good and our Power Play is so pathetic, then the Power play should practice against the Penalty Kill until the Power play is more set. If our power play can score against the penalty kill in practice on a consistent basis, chances are they'll score more against the other team's PK.
its the same lineup

(i know)

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:39 PM
ksp1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
its the same lineup

(i know)
I really need to stop going out for a snack break during the Bruins power play.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
So a message board is for what then exactly? A celebration of being a fan? The PP flat out sucks...no matter what players are in it (the past three years) and it's not the system? Really?
A message board is for discussion, of course, and I'm all for that. What I am NOT for is hysteria and hyperbole. There is a difference, and that's what I've been pointing out.

And I have some thoughts on the PP which I have already shared. I don't know how to fix that problem, and I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert and say I do.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Shaun
beauty

the bruins need to try this with Chara in net

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:55 PM
ksp1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
A message board is for discussion, of course, and I'm all for that. What I am NOT for is hysteria and hyperbole. There is a difference, and that's what I've been pointing out.

And I have some thoughts on the PP which I have already shared. I don't know how to fix that problem, and I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert and say I do.
Well, the power play has flat out sucked for at least 3 seasons, so whatever the coaching staff is doing ain't working. They need to try thinking outside the box or at least trying to pass through the box to their goal scorers. The passing back to the point, shoot, the other team blocks it and clears it gets tough to watch after a while.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:22 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
The powerplay is unacceptably bad. Admittedly.

The solution is NOT a new coaching staff, however. Our coaches all-in-all have been outstanding.

"A new approach" is a lovely phrase to use... But I have yet to see a suggestion for that approach that is any different than anything else this team has ever tried and failed at.

That's why I suggest a new body. Because that's the only real change that can be made without doing something too drastic that could end up hurting more than helping.

They've tried a new body, they try it all the time.

This bored pined for a PMD to run the PP, they got Kaberle, for as much crap as he took, was a PP guy and no one can deny that. What happened? Same crap. Corvo, big shot PP guy, same crap. Horton? Same crap. Seguin, same crap. Marchand, same. and the list goes on and on and on.

I'm not suggesting a new coaching staff. I'm suggesting a new set up. A new-look PP.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
I really need to stop going out for a snack break during the Bruins power play.
if you don't have enough for everyone then put your snack away

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:17 PM
bruinsfan001

They need to start taking the power play more seriously, this has gone on for too long now. I've seen tiny glimpses of what it could be but no where near what it needs to be. You will not make it through the playoffs with a poor efficiency power play, I don't care how good you are 5 on 5, the chances are greatly stacked against you (ex. see round one against the Caps).

There needs to be structure and their needs to be consistency. I don't care if they have to fire someone if thats what it takes, but changes need to happen soon this isn't anything to joke about. If things are not addressed the power play could very well be their down fall in a playoff series, which would be a shame because I believe they have the personal to have a successful power play.

Last edited by bruinsfan001: 02-11-2013 at 03:24 PM.
bruinsfan001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Which means you're going off a tiny sample size (and yeah, I know, last year etc.).

I know the PP is bad. Not arguing that. But demanding a coach be fired (who coaches other elements of the game as well) or saying they'll make history is hyperbolic.
Tiny? Three years, and a quarter of this season is not tiny.

This is far from an overstatement. In fact, I'd argue you did just that with the term 'tiny'. Agreed?

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Tiny? Three years, and a quarter of this season is not tiny.

This is far from an overstatement. In fact, I'd argue you did just that with the term 'tiny'. Agreed?
What I'm pointing out is that, as you said, they went from 30th to 27th in one game. A handful of PP goals will put them in the middle of the pack. To say they are "making history" ten games into the season is, yes, an overstatement.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:33 PM
ksp1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
if you don't have enough for everyone then put your snack away
I probably should share. It's better than the indigestion that is the Bruins power play. 3 years plus is enough of a sample size. I'm not interested in temporary flashes in the pan that'll bring the power play to the 'middle of the pack'. The fact that the power play sucks over the course of a season will burn them in the playoffs like it did against the Caps. The powerless play needs to be fixed.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Pie O My

funny thing is everyone says they should look at how the Bolts and the Pens do it. I say never mind how teams with the most offensive talent do it (that's kind of self explanatory), what i want to know is, how do the Isles and Flames do it? THAT is what should be embarrassing to us.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:07 PM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Cycle down low and along the boards...pass to the point, pass to the other point, shoot.

That's all they do. Ever.

No presence at all from the dots in, other then Lucic, who quite frankly is not that good in front of the net other then being a big body.

How about 5 forwards on the ice at once? Claude too afraid of allowing a breakaway?

How about putting our best playmakers out there all at once?

Hamilton and Seguin on the points with DK, Bergeron and Marchand up front?

How about Chara and Boychuk on the points, blasting into a screen set up by Lucic AND Horton in front, with Peverley up high?

How about some urgency and quick puck movement? How about keeping Seguin in CONSTANT motion like TB does with Stamkos?

How about watching film of St. Louis, Tampa and Pittsburgh, who I see on CI and NBCSN all the time? They make it look easy with their puck movement. They SKATE.

For a team and staff that are really great at a lot of things, the PP is embarrassing and they all need work harder at it. This Bruins team still relies far too much on their goalies.
Strong everything. Nailed it - especially the bolded.

Quote:
So you're telling me that the Bruins coaches, who won a Cup and have this team at the top of the conference, know less about running a PP than message board posters. Because the scouts had some misses. That makes sense.
C'mon Artmemis, you knew exactly what the poster meant. It's not about knowing more, it's about being open to possibly changing things because anyone can make mistakes (and we just happen to be discussing solutions to the problem) and sometimes it may take an outside perspective to correct a nagging problem. Perhaps there is a simple fix that they are somehow missing? Past that, your interpretation of the post you quoted was hyperbolic.

It's been 3 years of horrible play on the pman advantage and a lousy power play effects more than the amount of goals scored. Teams play other teams differently when they're not scared of being hurt by the other team on the power play. Players are more willing to take certain liberties against the Bruins because the tool that was specifically designed in the NHL rulebook to punish the other team isn't being utilized and isn't punishing the other team. That's a problem. It's been a problem for 3 stinking seasons.

If you were a public figure and were making the same mistakes for three years in a row, would you expect to not be criticized about your inability to correct yourself? Yes the team is doing great right now and an improved power play would make this team downright lethal.

Why are we not able to throw ideas on the wall here in an attempt to talk out possible solutions to something that is so very obviously wrong? It may not be correct but at least it appears like we're trying to make changes (which can't be said about the Bruins power play). When there is a will, there is a way and the corrections can be made.

I think you're a great poster on this site and for the very strong majority I agree with you on most topics. Having said that, something needs to be done about this power play and I just don't know why you think they'll continue to be fine without such a change.

Who knows, Jeremy Jacobs might be scouting the Boston Bruins HFBoards subsection like John Henry scouted Sons of Sam Horn for his lineup magician .

Last edited by DJENTLEMAN: 02-12-2013 at 05:40 PM.
DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leviathan View Post
Strong everything. Nailed it - especially the bolded.

C'mon Artmemis, you knew exactly what the poster meant. It's not about knowing more, it's about being open to possibly changing things because anyone can make mistakes (and we just happen to be discussing solutions to the problem) and sometimes it may take an outside perspective to correct a nagging problem. Perhaps there is a simple fix that they are somehow missing? Past that, your interpretation of the post you quoted was hyperbolic.

It's been 3 years of horrible play on the pman advantage and a lousy power play effects more than the amount of goals scored. Teams play other teams differently when they're not scared of being hurt by the other team on the power play. Players are more willing to take certain liberties against the Bruins because the tool that was specifically designed in the NHL rulebook to punish the other team isn't being utilized and isn't punishing the other team. That's a problem. It's been a problem for 3 stinking seasons.

If you were a public figure and were making the same mistakes for three years in a row, would you expect to not be criticized about your inability to correct yourself? Yes the team is doing great right now and an improved power play would make this team downright lethal.

Why are we not able to throw ideas on the wall here in an attempt to talk out possible solutions to something that is so very obviously wrong? It may not be correct but at least it appears like we're trying to make changes (which can't be said about the Bruins power play). When there is a will, there is a way and the corrections can be made.

I think you're a great poster on this site and for the very strong majority I agree with you on most topics. Having said that, something needs to be done about this power play and I just don't know why you think they'll continue to be fine without such a change.

Who knows, Jeremy Jacobs might be scouting the Boston Bruins HFBoards subsection like John Henry scouted Sons of Sam Horn for his lineup magician .
To reiterate, again, discussing the PP and possible fixes is fine and dandy. Where I have problems is on posters insisting the coaches are ignoramuses who should be fired, or that players need to be traded.

I have said these are talented players and knowledgable coaches, and in my opinion the major problem is between their ears. Again, I have no idea how to fix that, so I am not going to say that I do.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:15 PM
BklyNBruiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
worst PP, best PK, one of the leaders in 5 on 5. EGGGSELLENT!

All is well in the world of Pie.

This obsession with having a sexy PP is bordering on fanatical. Guys, how many 0fers on the PP (not 2nite obviously) combined with W's will it take before folks realize a good PP not essential to winning hockey, ESPECIALLY in the playoffs, which is what it's all about.

I'm going to pound these mantras the rest of the season until folks finally "get" it....

PP for show, PK for dough.

A great PP gets you the presidents trophy, a great PK gets you the cup.

It's nice to have a good PP, it is essential to have a good PK.

PP is icing, PK is the cake.

Oh, and of course...DO NOT BOO OUR PP!
I agree with you Pie. But how about in those close games, where we get a man advantage; it would be nice to have a PP unit that can do some damage. Specially in the playoffs.

As long as this team is coached by Julien I think we will always be a very good 5on5 and defensive/PK team.

I think the PP is still too important to just ignore. Tho again I do agree with you that we won the cup before without a good PP but I don't know if we can do it again.

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:50 PM
vjcsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
I know you're joking, but this is a great point. You cannot teach what that guy did. He wasn't a rocket scientist, bottom line he'd just TRY STUFF. He'd feign passes, fake shots, skate w/ the puck until a pker followed him down low, or up high, inviting his teammates to jump into that seam he created. Or, he simply tee'd it the **** up just to keep them honest. We have absolutely no one that does that.

You would never know watching this team on the PP that Chara possessed the hardest shot in the league. Savard made that shot a weapon. Even when he didn't score, guys gobbled up rebounds. You'd think they'd try just operating under that notion. Throw it at the net, get a rebound, force a mistake. They are the epitome of deer in the headlights. They're getting worse, not better.

If they're serious a/b another Cup, and I don't see any reason they shouldn't be, this has to get fixed. Has to.
Can we get Savard to unretire? LOL

Seriously though, I think the team is missing that 'catalyst' on the PP. The creator, the PP QB. We have weapons on defense. Chara's got a rocket shot and Dougie passes the puck just about as well as any PMD out there. Lucic is a load to hande in front of the net. But we're still not getting the job done?

Something's missing!

vjcsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjcsmoke View Post
Can we get Savard to unretire? LOL

Seriously though, I think the team is missing that 'catalyst' on the PP. The creator, the PP QB. We have weapons on defense. Chara's got a rocket shot and Dougie passes the puck just about as well as any PMD out there. Lucic is a load to hande in front of the net. But we're still not getting the job done?

Something's missing!
Yeah, it is. But MSL isn't walking through that door anytime soon.

Puck movement was better last night, but sill same results. Dougie and Seguin worked well together. Seguin finally figured out it was better to shoot it than to cough it up. I'd actually put Horton in front of the net, quicker hands, still a big dude. And, utilize Lucic's physical dominance maintaining possession, andd his underrated passing ability, elsewhere. Either down low, or on his off wing side.

Peverley backed off pkers nicely w/ his skating. But once again, no one jumped into a seam for him.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNBruiN View Post
I agree with you Pie. But how about in those close games, where we get a man advantage; it would be nice to have a PP unit that can do some damage. Specially in the playoffs.

As long as this team is coached by Julien I think we will always be a very good 5on5 and defensive/PK team.

I think the PP is still too important to just ignore. Tho again I do agree with you that we won the cup before without a good PP but I don't know if we can do it again.
hey BB. I actually forgot about this thread.

of course you want a serviceable PP to keep the other teams agitators somewhat honest, but my main beef with this issue is...well...you guys. (ducks head). We are the fanbase of an original 6 squad, this site is a very good and knowledgeable fan site, so this absolute obsession with this issue is insane. Multiple threads, folks saying we should make this trade or that trade just to improve this PP? Are you kidding me?

This is a great open forum. Go ahead and analyze how to make the PP better in terms of tactics, etc. But don't obsess over it to the exclusion of more important things which lead to cups, such as 5 on 5 scoring, great PK, owning the 3rd period, solid between the pipes, etc. Make a trade just to improve the PP? no way, make trades for the right reasons. Seriously, how many 0fers on the PP combined with W's will it take before folks calm down about this?

Folks may not like it but the further we get away from the 05 lockout the further the league is starting to get away from "the new look NHL". Refs are once again swallowing the whistle (by and large) in the playoffs, so how will that proverbial trade rental help us there?

"But, but, we lost to the Caps last year". Bad matchup. end of story. We would have destroyed the Sens (good matchup) who we thought would be our 1st round foes until the last weekend. If we came across the eventual eastern finalist Devils we would have beaten them, good matchup. If we had played the rangers in 2011 in 1st round (it was a tossup between them and the habs until the last weekend) then no cup, bad matchup. Shyte happens. If your PP sux in the reg season and then it still sux against your 1st round opponent who bounces you then it wasn't a factor and not why you lost.

i'll stop now since i'm just rambling.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:28 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
worst PP, best PK, one of the leaders in 5 on 5. EGGGSELLENT!

All is well in the world of Pie.

This obsession with having a sexy PP is bordering on fanatical. Guys, how many 0fers on the PP (not 2nite obviously) combined with W's will it take before folks realize a good PP not essential to winning hockey, ESPECIALLY in the playoffs, which is what it's all about.

I'm going to pound these mantras the rest of the season until folks finally "get" it....

PP for show, PK for dough.

A great PP gets you the presidents trophy, a great PK gets you the cup.

It's nice to have a good PP, it is essential to have a good PK.

PP is icing, PK is the cake.

Oh, and of course...DO NOT BOO OUR PP!
Tell me which of these two teams you would rather have heading into the playoffs:

Team A: 220 even strength goals, 89% PK, 10% PP

Team B: 220 even strength goals, 89% PK, 20% PP

You act like playing well 5-on-5 and having a productive PP are mutually exclusive, and that is simply not the case. Nobody is saying that the Bruins are a bad team, and they might even win a Cup as is, but I would feel much better about their chances in round 1 of the playoffs if they were "team B" as opposed to "team A." It is simply asinine to believe that they would not be a better team with a more productive powerplay.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
Tell me which of these two teams you would rather have heading into the playoffs:

Team A: 220 even strength goals, 89% PK, 10% PP

Team B: 220 even strength goals, 89% PK, 20% PP

You act like playing well 5-on-5 and having a productive PP are mutually exclusive, and that is simply not the case. Nobody is saying that the Bruins are a bad team, and they might even win a Cup as is, but I would feel much better about their chances in round 1 of the playoffs if they were "team B" as opposed to "team A." It is simply asinine to believe that they would not be a better team with a more productive powerplay.
how many team B's have there ever been? Late 70's Habs, early 80's Isles (i'd actually be shocked if Al Arbour would ever obsess about a bad PP in the regular season) Oilers of the mid 80's? etc. You think we are on the verge of a dynasty save for the PP?

20% PP. pfft! that's one out 5. Many games in the playoffs don't even have 5 TOTAL penalties called between both teams.

Good PP - nice to have. Good PK - essential. Keep your eyes on the prize people, don't lets throw the baby out with the bathwater and make trades ONLY to improve the PP that might eff with team chemistry on a very good team.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:52 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
how many team B's have there ever been? Late 70's Habs, early 80's Isles (i'd actually be shocked if Al Arbour would ever obsess about a bad PP in the regular season) Oilers of the mid 80's? etc. You think we are on the verge of a dynasty save for the PP?

20% PP. pfft! that's one out 5. Many games in the playoffs don't even have 5 TOTAL penalties called between both teams.

Good PP - nice to have. Good PK - essential. Keep your eyes on the prize people, don't lets throw the baby out with the bathwater and make trades ONLY to improve the PP that might eff with team chemistry on a very good team.
Are you going to answer the question? Which team would you rather have heading into the playoffs?

And nobody has ever said that the PP is the most important part of the game, obviously not. It's just the part of the game that this team needs to improve on the most, and they would be better for it.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
Are you going to answer the question? Which team would you rather have heading into the playoffs?

And nobody has ever said that the PP is the most important part of the game, obviously not. It's just the part of the game that this team needs to improve on the most, and they would be better for it.
what do you mean answer the question? of course i want it all!

but if you can't have it all, i'd feel better with a team that excels in the 1st 2 and craps themselves on the 3rd, rather than any other combination.

Nobody said it's the most important aspect of the game? Sometimes i'll read these threads and i get the feeling it's the ONLY part of the game. This misguided obsession with the PP would be like a poster getting all hot and bothered that someone who is 5 for 5 on the shootout has shot it every time from the slot instead of faking out the goalie with a sick deke or something. In other words it's about winning pretty, and with a sort of flare.