HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Kesler

Old
02-11-2013, 01:25 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
I imagine it would be Koivu+, but I don't think Minny has any reason to do that. It'd have to be enough of a + to make up for the cap hell it would put Vancouver in, while getting a comparable player.

Vancouver has no reason to trade Kesler - nothing they replace him with would be as effective for as great of a cap hit.
Kesler+ = Koivu
Kesler != Koivu+ haha

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Wizeman*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Sorry misgauged Kesler's value. Didn't realize 2nd line centers coming off injury were worth Hart trophy winners or perennial Norris trophy candidates. My bad stupid me. I apologize.
No problem.

Dont use a pending UFA looking for a raise to get our 40 goal scoring Selke winning power Center on an excellent contract for the next 4 years.

Certainly dont ask for him AND a quality prospect like Jensen to boot. It insults our intelligence.

Take your punishment like a man.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:27 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I wouldn't trade Kesler for Perry straight up. Upcoming UFAs rarely get impact players signed long-terms coming back the other way. It's usually just a medley of solid prospects/picks and a decent roster player.

Kesler for Weber was something that was tossed around a short while back before Nashville locked him up, but even that wasn't very appealing.

If we do trade Kesler, I'd want a Huberdeau/Granlund/Tarasenko calibre prospect coming the other way.
A guy who's MAYBE in the top 20, definitely top 30 for centres, is somehow worth arguably the best defenceman on earth?

Weber >> Kesler and it's no question.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Do Habs fans not like Plekanec? Why is he on almost every proposal involving a top player?
He is our best foward with a great work ethic, but because we drafted gally and because we r far of winning the stanley cup, I think plekanec could become available.

Edit : And Kesler is one of my favorite player

Last edited by Chacal667: 02-11-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Chacal667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
A guy who's MAYBE in the top 20, definitely top 30 for centres, is somehow worth arguably the best defenceman on earth?

Contracts do play a factor in a player's worth(As Canucks fans have been made all too aware in recent days)

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:31 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
I imagine it would be Koivu+, but I don't think Minny has any reason to do that. It'd have to be enough of a + to make up for the cap hell it would put Vancouver in, while getting a comparable player.

Vancouver has no reason to trade Kesler - nothing they replace him with would be as effective for as great of a cap hit.
um. what?

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:

I disagree, but then I am using a 100% Kesler on top of his game.

But if you add in the contract, Weber is a JOKE compared to Kesler. Webers contract is illegal now its so bad.

I dont even know what you would get for Weber now , considering the CBA rules . Nashville still has to eat 1/2 his cap regardless of retirement or sale. So does the other team.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize 40-goal scoring Selke winners signed long-term at a friendly cap-hit were worth slightly better players with only one year left on their contract before they get a huge payday.
Until he repeats, the 40 goal season is an anomoly. His career high outside of that ONE season is 26 goals. The Selke is impressive, but is Scott Gomez somehow worth Shea Weber because, after all, he is a PPG player (years ago)... Using a single season to gauge a players worth is just plain ridiculous. Until Kesler repeats, he's an injury prone, one hit wonder.

I'm not saying that I think he's a bad player, before Nucks fans get all up in arms, but you can't claim that a player holds immense value when he's a shoot first centre who's never cracked even 30 goals outside of his one great season where (surprise, surprise), he also set a career high in shooting % and everything just seemed to go his way.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
surely not, Kesler is a lil better than Plekanec so the + could be a second and a prospect like Leblanc or Tinordi.
Vancouver has zero incentive to make that deal. Kesler gives us a Better chance to win now and that's what the Canucks are trying to do.
Pleks would be a nice addition. Not for the subtraction of Kesler though. So unless we see someone coming in who is better now or at least a very good chance of being better sooner rather than later. If the Avs weren't in our division someone like Duchene.

Vancouver doesn't really have a center capable of replacing Kesler full time so one would have to be returned who is of equal or greater value. If equal we would require some type of incentive to make the deal. Quantity deals have no appeal as of now, Vancouver has their whole core signed to deals for the foreseeable future and have 3 ELC players contributing to the success of the team as it stands. We also have two starting goaltenders. Other than Kesler himself, we are basically a complete team with very few holes, ones that have been temporarily filled or can be lived with.

So instead of these deals around division rival teams like Minn, or for UFA players like Perry.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Do Habs fans not like Plekanec? Why is he on almost every proposal involving a top player?
With Galchenyuk, they have expendable assets at centre. Neither Eller or Desharnais hold much value on the market and are quite young. Plekanec, on the other hand, could command a solid return for the temporary retool his departure would propel the Habs into.

In short, Plek offers better value. No other reason.

Quote:
surely not, Kesler is a lil better than Plekanec so the + could be a second and a prospect like Leblanc or Tinordi.
Kesler is a whole tier above Plekanec. The former is arguably the best definition of a two way forward in the league, provided his injuries do not hinge his abilities. Plekanec, while goood, is not offensive gifted nor is he up to par defensively to Kesler, although the comparison is closer there.

Nevertheless, as others have indicated. Vancouver has no inclination to even consider moving Kesler and would not do so unless a severe overpayment was offered. Galchenyuk+ is precisely what Gillis would demand. And that plus would be equally as steep. Montreal would never make the deal nor do I believe they should. But it is what you can expect when asking for another team's top tier player.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Chacal667

What about Plekanec Cole and a second ?

Old
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
Is the plus Gally or Patch?
You wouldn't get either of them straight up for Kesler simply because it makes no sense from Montreal's perspective.

Old
StarsFan74

Quote:
He is our best foward with a great work ethic, but because we drafted gally and because we r far of winning the stanley cup, I think plekanec could become available.
Exactly why proposals involving him is baffling if you view him that way.

And I don't get that "far of winning the stanley cup" bit. You're saying Kesler replacing Plekanec makes you a contender almost overnight?

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Until he repeats, the 40 goal season is an anomoly. His career high outside of that ONE season is 26 goals. The Selke is impressive, but is Scott Gomez somehow worth Shea Weber because, after all, he is a PPG player (years ago)... Using a single season to gauge a players worth is just plain ridiculous. Until Kesler repeats, he's an injury prone, one hit wonder.

I'm not saying that I think he's a bad player, before Nucks fans get all up in arms, but you can't claim that a player holds immense value when he's a shoot first centre who's never cracked even 30 goals outside of his one great season where (surprise, surprise), he also set a career high in shooting % and everything just seemed to go his way.
Trolling canuck fans today are we?

Logan Couture is worth a 5th rounder day?

Joe Thorton worth Steve Bernier ? Marleau is a shoplifter? Sharks cant even make the finals in spite of all the talent they have been given over the years/

Old
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:

And what about Perry's 50-goal Hart season? He's also never come close to that before or since then.

Old
Wizeman*

Quote:
You wouldn't get either of them straight up for Kesler simply because it makes no sense from Montreal's perspective.
Being a Shark fan makes no sense either so you would be an expert on the subject

Old
02-11-2013, 01:37 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Contracts do play a factor in a player's worth(As Canucks fans have been made all too aware in recent days)
Regardless, there is no GM is the league that would trade Weber for Kesler. Weber is the kind of player you build a team around. Kesler is not.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Exactly why proposals involving him is baffling if you view him that way.

And I don't get that "far of winning the stanley cup" bit. You're saying Kesler replacing Plekanec makes you a contender almost overnight?
No but Kesler isn't old he could be a part of a short rebuild

Old
02-11-2013, 01:40 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Trolling canuck fans today are we?

Logan Couture is worth a 5th rounder day?

Joe Thorton worth Steve Bernier ? Marleau is a shoplifter? Sharks cant even make the finals in spite of all the talent they have been given over the years/
Errr what? I gave reasons for my assertions, let's see you debate them, but instead you prefer to take shots at one of my teams. Keeping it classy pal!

Old
02-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
With Galchenyuk, they have expendable assets at centre. Neither Eller or Desharnais hold much value on the market and are quite young. Plekanec, on the other hand, could command a solid return for the temporary retool his departure would propel the Habs into.

In short, Plek offers better value. No other reason.

Kesler is a whole tier above Plekanec. The former is arguably the best definition of a two way forward in the league, provided his injuries do not hinge his abilities. Plekanec, while goood, is not offensive gifted nor is he up to par defensively to Kesler, although the comparison is closer there.

Nevertheless, as others have indicated. Vancouver has no inclination to even consider moving Kesler and would not do so unless a severe overpayment was offered. Galchenyuk+ is precisely what Gillis would demand. And that plus would be equally as steep. Montreal would never make the deal nor do I believe they should. But it is what you can expect when asking for another team's top tier player.
Maybe but Pleky is very impressive this season

Old
02-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

His value is probably similar to M. Richards. Blue chip prospect + 1st.

Huberdeau/Granlund/Tarasenko/etc + 1st is if we decided to retool Philly-style. However it makes no sense for us to trade him unless we're getting an upgrade, or we decide to retool.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:43 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
And what about Perry's 50-goal Hart season? He's also never come close to that before or since then.
What about it? I don't value Perry as a perennial 50 goal scorer or Hart winner. In fact, he's not even part of this debate, so I don't see why you're bringing him into this.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
He did, however, lead the Western Conference in goal scoring last year on a down season for the entire team.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:44 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
No but Kesler isn't old he could be a part of a short rebuild
His age has nothing to do with my argument. I asked if you thought Kesler's addition, at the expense of Pleks+ or Pleks++, made you contenders?

Edit: I apologize. I think I misunderstood the question perhaps. You mean to involve Kesler in a short rebuild since you are "far from a Stanley Cup." Is that what you meant? If that's the case, don't you think you're in the midst of one?

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:45 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Being a Shark fan makes no sense either so you would be an expert on the subject

Apparently reading comprehension isn't your greatest skill... perhaps I can give you some

I said that Montreal would not do such a trade because it makes no sense for their future. Pacioretty is so important to the success of our team and we will never trade him. Galchenyuk... do I even need to address this?

Goodness gracious you misinterpret things. Not only that, but you simply take jabs at me because I've poked holes in your argument that Kesler is worth the world.