HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Malkin's Line Concerns Me Deeply. Panic!

Old
02-11-2013, 01:33 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
LOL. I forgot about Comrie.
I'm kind of mad that I was reminded.

Just put Sid with Maatta and Morrow. Then role with a 1-4. The go after a vet defender during FA and a PMD at the draft.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Dupuis isn't as "natural" a finisher as Kunitz is, but he'd still become the Kunitz of Sid's line if Kunitz moved up.

Again, Dupuis-Sid-Scorer is a very good line, because Dupuis can do some of the dirty work that Kunitz does. However, having the both of them on the same line is quite redundant.
This is kind of what frustrates me the longer it draws not happening. It's not like the top six needs a massive overhaul. We're literally one trade away from being a very good top six.

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla/whoever
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

I'd have no problem whatsoever with that top six. Both Crosby and Malkin would be flanked by one legitimate scorer, and one solid third wheel type winger.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:39 PM
billybudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovifan27 View Post
I'm putting it on Malkin. He makes passes to Neal he doesn't have to avoiding an open ET, Jeffrey, TK, or Boychuk. If we put any of his rotating wing with Crosby the results would be better.
Sigh

Malkin's play isn't without room to criticize, but not because he should use those guys better. Boychuk doesn't get in position to receive a pass and, if he happens to be in position, will lose possession if there's any type of battle for the puck because he abdicates under defensive pressure. Tangradi boots every single pass reception or stares at it as it goes past his stick, ending possession (unllike dupuis, he isn't quick enough to recover a pass he kicked to the corner). Kennedy will shoot from a bad position, ending possession.

"Using" any of these guys is a sure-fire way to end possession. There's no way to "use" them well.

Of course, that's not necessarily true of Jeffrey, but the coaches don't like him for some reason.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Post Hossa:

Fedetenko: Now a 4th line penalty killer who's been on 2 teams since.
Ponikarovsky: 3rd/4th liner, who's been on 3 teams since.
Sykora: Dumped by Minnesota after leaving Pens and exiled to Europe. Came back, scored some goals for Jersey, but useless enough to be a healthy scratch in the playoffs (again)
Guerin: Forced to retire after being unable to get a contract.
Kovelv: Exiled to Europe. Healthy scratch for the Panthers. THE PANTHERS!!!
Comrie: Retired due to bad case of suck (and a bad hip)
Tangradi: THIRD ROUND PICK, not the first rounder many mistake him to be.
Boychuk: Waiver wire pickup
Sullivan: Almost worthless 5 on 5 after the 15 game mark. He's the only one I would have kept strictly for the PP.

I'm sure there's one or two more, but I'm getting nauseated writing this.
This is all correct other than Tangradi who was taken in the 2nd round, 42nd overall. That doesn't mean he's any good, but I find it odd that you rip on invisible posters that think he's a 1st round pick and then say something wrong.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Dupuis isn't as "natural" a finisher as Kunitz is, but he'd still become the Kunitz of Sid's line if Kunitz moved up.

Again, Dupuis-Sid-Scorer is a very good line, because Dupuis can do some of the dirty work that Kunitz does. However, having the both of them on the same line is quite redundant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Yes, Dupe - Sid - Scorer. That scorer is not in the Pens organization, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
This is kind of what frustrates me the longer it draws not happening. It's not like the top six needs a massive overhaul. We're literally one trade away from being a very good top six.

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla/whoever
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

I'd have no problem whatsoever with that top six. Both Crosby and Malkin would be flanked by one legitimate scorer, and one solid third wheel type winger.
...but in the meantime, I would like that guy on Crosby's wing to be Boychuk/Jeffrey/Tangradi

Flat Stanley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:58 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Both the points about Boychuk being kinda meh and about Malkin not really utilizing average players as well as Sid does I get to a point, but yesterday I put completely on coaching. Way to pick playing Jeffrey as a 4LC as your big change after Sat.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:20 PM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
I think Malkin gets frustrated with his wingers easily.. and when he does that he goes out of his way to not pass to them, or tries to do it all himself.. thats a flaw in Malkins game..

SUBdrewgANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Saison Marguerite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
Occam's razor.

Move Kunitz back with Malkin and Neal instead of jumbling a thousand moving parts. We know that line can produce, put it back together.

Call-up Bennett, try Jeffrey or Boychuk with Crosby and Dupuis. Maybe Cooke. Or whatever but lets use one line that we know can be successful instead of jumbling things up.
And Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis hasn't been producing at all this season? Come on, now.

Saison Marguerite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Til the End of Time

dupuis-crosby-boychuk... what a travesty.

thank god sid is signed to a super long contract.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:26 PM
turd

Without having read the thread, the Malkin line worries me more defensively than offensively. They get trapped in the defensive zone all the time. Neal's a -4, I think. Geno is at even last I checked. They scored 90 goals between them last year, so the offensive side of things doesn't concern me at all. They can't score every single shift like some would like. They need to step it up defensively.

Threads like this are funny, though. We are so freaking spoiled as Pens fans that we nitpick about the superstars. Imagine being a Columbus/Calgary/Florida fan and then realize that everything isn't so bad in Pittsburgh.

turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Beauner
Shooter Tutor Fleury

They should just call up Bennett already. 3 guys tried with no luck. Worst case scenario is that he produces the same as Boychuk.

Beauner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

How about trying Cooke - Crosby - Kennedy one more time?

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Crosby - Kennedy
Boychuk - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams

Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:41 PM
mpp9

We aren't solving our issues on the wing in-house. Bennett may be a decent third wheel for Sid/Geno but we still need at least one upgrade.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:52 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
This is all correct other than Tangradi who was taken in the 2nd round, 42nd overall. That doesn't mean he's any good, but I find it odd that you rip on invisible posters that think he's a 1st round pick and then say something wrong.
Fine, he's a second round pick. My bad.

The argument still stands. I point out his draft status to everyone that thinks he's a superstar in waiting if only he's "Given a chance" because, Lord knows we get enough of those comments about him.

My point is that people need to stop acting like he was a top 5 blue chipper that's being held back by anyone but him.

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Beauner
Shooter Tutor Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
We aren't solving our issues on the wing in-house. Bennett may be a decent third wheel for Sid/Geno but we still need at least one upgrade.
I wasn't really suggesting that. Like you said he would be a good third wheel but I completely agree that we need another winger. By the playoffs I want our third line to be Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis

Beauner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

Man i don't know what the coaches have against Jeffrey, but He is obviously the more talented out of our other options. He can actually make plays with our top two guys and keep up with them. You give him 1 game and then scratch him? These coaches must be seeing something Im not.

Jeffrey-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

give the kid a legitimate shot. At worst hes the same as boychuk.

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Terrapin

Quote:

The whole lineup is redundant. There is virtually no difference between Dupuis, Cooke, Kennedy, Adams, Jeffrey, Boychuk. Having 1 or 2 of those type of players in the lineup is fine. When 6 of your 8 wingers are those type of 'blah' guys, you've got problems.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Kovifan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Sigh

Malkin's play isn't without room to criticize, but not because he should use those guys better. Boychuk doesn't get in position to receive a pass and, if he happens to be in position, will lose possession if there's any type of battle for the puck because he abdicates under defensive pressure. Tangradi boots every single pass reception or stares at it as it goes past his stick, ending possession (unllike dupuis, he isn't quick enough to recover a pass he kicked to the corner). Kennedy will shoot from a bad position, ending possession.

"Using" any of these guys is a sure-fire way to end possession. There's no way to "use" them well.

Of course, that's not necessarily true of Jeffrey, but the coaches don't like him for some reason.
TK is the only one I agree w/100%. The guy needs to go.

Boychuk was streaking down the middle w/one guy on him last game. Pass to him he draws a penalty or scores most likely. Instead Malkin throws a pass across ice to Neal which he had to put some lift on because of a trailing defenseman. Neal couldn't control it and the play was gone. Malkin ignored Boychuk like he ignored ET most times.

Jeffrey created plays so he was the best fit there. But to say Malkin shouldn't make them better is a joke. Crosby seems to work with his linemates where as Malkin yells at them.

Kovifan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Fine, he's a second round pick. My bad.

The argument still stands. I point out his draft status to everyone that thinks he's a superstar in waiting if only he's "Given a chance" because, Lord knows we get enough of those comments about him.

My point is that people need to stop acting like he was a top 5 blue chipper that's being held back by anyone but him.
I agree. He could still be an NHL'er, but if there are expectations he is going to be a top 6 forward for this team, then those are misplaced.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:36 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
How about trying Cooke - Crosby - Kennedy one more time?

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Crosby - Kennedy
Boychuk - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams
LOL this board is ridiculous sometimes.

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Acquizitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh1776 View Post
The adoration of Crosby is nauseating. Crosby struggled in 2008-09 and people were saying he was not a simple player to play with, and didnít make his linemates better like Malkin. How dare anyone criticize Crosby and his conduct. Malkin will always be held to a different standard by the legion of Crosbyís followers. Star wingers have always been tried with Crosby first. Neal was going to be Crosbyís winger, not Malkinís, and I think Bylsma was itching to put Neal with Crosby once Crosby was in the lineup. Even though Crosby is not good on the right side and has no one-timer, Malkin goes to Siberia to the left point where he is a liability and is not able to shoot. Since Crosby likes to play on the half-wall. Bottom line: Malkin is a European and Bylsma is not comfortable coaching him, and many fans are not comfortable with him on the same level they are with 87. When Crosby isnít playing well, it is because timing isnít good. When Malkin isnít playing well, heís a flake with no heart. Malkin is a different player than Crosby. He can put up points without support, to maximize his talent he needs good wingers.
that is one of the reasons why Malkin should not renew his contract with the pens. He thrives under pressure, he also thrives when he is angry, being in a team with a better player (Crosby) sends a signal to his russian brain (I also have a russian brain so I know what it is) that a "better player is out there and he will take care of everything, so I can ****** around and be lazy".

Pens should trade Malkin away imo, that would free up lots of cap space for young talented players. If Malkin wants to unravel his full potential (IF it's there, IF he can be better than last year), then it should not happen with the Pens where he will always be overshadowed by Crosby.

Letting Geno go would be a win/win for everyone.

Acquizitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:57 PM
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acquizitor View Post
that is one of the reasons why Malkin should not renew his contract with the pens. He thrives under pressure, he also thrives when he is angry, being in a team with a better player (Crosby) sends a signal to his russian brain (I also have a russian brain so I know what it is) that a "better player is out there and he will take care of everything, so I can ****** around and be lazy".

Pens should trade Malkin away imo, that would free up lots of cap space for young talented players. If Malkin wants to unravel his full potential (IF it's there, IF he can be better than last year), then it should not happen with the Pens where he will always be overshadowed by Crosby.

please tell me where he's going to go to play with a better winger than James Neal?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:00 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:

Split Geno's salary amongst any other 2 players in the league. You won't come out ahead unless it's an insanely unrealistic pair of guys. Plus you don't trade players away just to make the GM's job easier. Sometimes I think the only reason Malkin comes up as a trade option is so armchair quarterbacks can have more fun playing with cap space on CapGeek.

By the way, all the Penguins organization had to do to avoid all of this was pluck one half decent winger from the draft in the last 5 years who had a development spurt and could play in the top 6, even if he was only going to get 30 points.

UnderratedBrooks44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:

great post or greatest post?

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:05 PM
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
great post or greatest post?
69 posts in 3 years. He's a tantric poster, saves all the goodness for one big bang.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote