HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hordichuk Waived

Old
02-11-2013, 01:35 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Funny how in the past few years the Oilers have employed guys like Hordichuk, Stortini, Macintrye and Boulerice to ensure people don't mess with their player, yet always seem to suffer injuries.
No kidding. I'm always amazed at how some folks overlook this or claim it's because they're somehow not allowed to play 'their game'. Having one easily-ignored goon stapled to the bench or watching from the PB does not make a team tough or hard to play against. Size, skill and good systems play make teams hard to play against. Hordichuk didn't help in even one of those categories. He seems like a nice enough guy (though a bit of a clown) but he's made millions of dollars despite being almost entirely useless as an NHL hockey player. I won't waste my time wishing him well. He's already done well for himself.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:53 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Sounds like Jones is getting ready to return

For me, I like Hord, but in the new NHL you need players who can play the game at both ends and play shifts that are more about the game then trying to get into a fight or giving a rest to the top three lines

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If Minnesota were to waive Kassian since they've acquired Rupp would you claim him? IMO he's a lot more intimidating than Hordi was.
Absolutely.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:59 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Wow,

Rob Tychkowski ‏@SUN_TYCHKOWSKI
Didn't think it was possible for the Oilers to get softer.

Hordichuk on waivers; Oilers just a little easier to play

@RenanEdm Just because they didn't play him doesn't make him useless. Now the Oilers have NOBODY
lol yeah, Hordi was on the prowl this season with his whopping 2 PIMs.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:09 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Sounds like Jones is getting ready to return

For me, I like Hord, but in the new NHL you need players who can play the game at both ends and play shifts that are more about the game then trying to get into a fight or giving a rest to the top three lines
@Bob_Stauffer: Wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Jones is in a regular contact jersey for today's optional at Russ Barnes Arena

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Hahaha... I can't believe that Tychkowski is flipping out over this. He's always been a goof but I think that the Oilers' inexplicable play has broken his brain or something.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Pressure
Tier 1/2 and 3 fan

I'm also very very disappointed in the way they handled Hordi this year. I like his play and his grit. He's quicker and he's more able than people think. Not too happy right now with this move.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Good guy, I'm glad he's going instead of Paajarvi or Harti though.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
I'm also very very disappointed in the way they handled Hordi this year. I like his play and his grit. He's quicker and he's more able than people think. Not too happy right now with this move.
This move was overdue. He's barely a step above Steve MacIntyre.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
I agree with that. It's not like he was actually given any chances to show that he is able. Poor guy was in the PB or stapled to the bench when he was dressed. Tough to show that you can contribute when you aren't given a shot.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Wretched Oil

I think MPS got himself a job, not as a replacement to Hordi's style, but as a bottom 6 lefty

Wretched Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
This move was overdue. He's barely a step above Steve MacIntyre.
Another guy who I think isn't as bad as people make him out to be.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:27 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
I agree with that. It's not like he was actually given any chances to show that he is able. Poor guy was in the PB or stapled to the bench when he was dressed. Tough to show that you can contribute when you aren't given a shot.
Taking a meaningless penalty once a play is dead isn't the way to contribute.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Slatsmsg

Even with him or Eager in the lineup, its done nothing to prevent other teams taking a run at our young stars. He was brought here to do a job and it wasn't to score goals. In my opinion, he has failed. Move on. Don't care if he's a good guy or not.

I think this cues Peckham coming back in to take on the enforcer role (not necessarily on a regular basis) but on an opponent by opponent basis. They should move Peck's to forward.

Slatsmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Seems like a good guy, but if you aren't going to play him....
Eager is too frail at this point to be the heavy. Too many concussion problems. They need to find a guy who they can trust to play, but whenever "they need to" refers to something Tambo is responsible for, you can bet it isn't going to get done.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:28 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 350
Quote:
Finkle lied to him, and to us.

His word is worth nothing.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Wizeman*

I think the era is ending where you can just goon . You need to also skate and even score now.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Hordi played 8 minutes over a 12 game stretch.

If they weren't going to use him in the lineup even with a crapload of injuries on the roster... then there's absolutely no point in having him on the roster.

I do agree they really didn't give him much of a chance at all both last year and continuing this year. Energy guy who can hit and skate better than most goons. I think he could have played a bigger role than he did but saying that... he's not a difference maker on this team either way.

In the end analysis though, he wasn't being utilized by the coaches and that #13/#14 forward spot needs to be filled by a player that can actually potentially contribute 5-10 minutes of useful play per game when they do get into the lineup.

Oilers obviously need more of those elusive tough players with grit who can also play the game... like Eager should be and what hopefully Hartikainen can become.

I don't know if Hordi will be picked up by another team but I wish him well wherever he ends up. He did all that was asked of him and seemed like a genuinely great guy just like big MacIntyre who left before him. Seems to be a common trait many goons share.

I agree as well... this move let's the Oilers open up a spot for a true C callup or acquisition as Smyth isn't cutting it even in a 4th line limited ice time role.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:36 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Seems like a good guy, but if you aren't going to play him....
Eager is too frail at this point to be the heavy. Too many concussion problems. They need to find a guy who they can trust to play, but whenever "they need to" refers to something Tambo is responsible for, you can bet it isn't going to get done.
Goons that can play don't just grow on trees.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I think that most of the league is comprised of "goons and grinders that can play" now. Inexplicably those types of players are completely absent from our roster.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:39 PM
alexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
It's about time.

Good guy.

Not the best hockey player.

Definitely makes more sense to do this than send Paajarvi back to OKC.
I've tried to be on Hordi's good side.. support him, but this I agree with. Hordi is just such a non factor. I think we need some toughness in the lineup though...but toughness that can play. Eager should suffice if he can still fight. Not sure if concussions are a prob. Peckham may be back soon too (and unlike the majority of fans that have dumped him for dead, I think there's still a good player there).

I don't think Hordi should be too dumped on though. He barely had any ice time. Krueger didn't want to take any chance giving him ice time. Can't say I blame Krueger much though... I don't think the NHL needs that type of player anymore. Hordi is a lot of heart and good intent, but that only goes so far.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:41 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
after being around the league for as long as he has can we really say that Hordichuk was never given a chance? Come on now. The guy is not a good hockey player, if he could have taken a regular shift he would have. The need for a tough guy is the biggest fallacy in the league right now. You want tough guys with skill and every team is looking for those so they're not exactly easy to come by.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Goons that can play don't just grow on trees.
Also, Tambo's "get off your arse and do something to help this team" doesn't grow on trees apparently.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:48 PM
OilCanada92

Personally if Jones comes back I'd sit smyth a game. Just is out of wack these last 3 games.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:50 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
after being around the league for as long as he has can we really say that Hordichuk was never given a chance? Come on now. The guy is not a good hockey player, if he could have taken a regular shift he would have. The need for a tough guy is the biggest fallacy in the league right now. You want tough guys with skill and every team is looking for those so they're not exactly easy to come by.
I guess you must have missed the Montreal/Toronto game on Saturday.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote