HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Bob Cole

Old
02-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Count Von Grabo*

vCash: 500
>3 Bob Cole

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:23 PM
DeputyMcLaren

Sorry lads, was a little intoxicated when I posted this lol. I should have clarified that I knew it was Bob on saturday and that I wanted him back full term. I did realize that he was off on many aspects of the game but his voice is awesome and suits hockey perfectly. I think a duo of him and Joe would be amazing.

DeputyMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:28 PM
TMLer
#HireJFJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstache View Post
Sorry lads, was a little intoxicated when I posted this lol. I should have clarified that I knew it was Bob on saturday and that I wanted him back full term. I did realize that he was off on many aspects of the game but his voice is awesome and suits hockey perfectly. I think a duo of him and Joe would be amazing.
Even though he makes mistake, I will always love Bob Cole. We all had a good laugh when he said "Jim Van Reimsdyke" . Poor James will now forever be "Jim" Van Reimsdyke in my book.

TMLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Too many cooks in the kitchen, got to be one or the other. Would love to have Bowen call the CBC games but he's not corporate enough for CBC.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:37 PM
topched

As much as I love Bob and his voice because it brings me back to the old days... last game was a reminder why CBC doesn't have him doing primetime that often anymore.

He misses things, butchers names, often lags behind the play, and I find he can't keep up.

He was the best in the biz for a long time, age is finally catching up to him.

I don't mind him every once and a while but if he was our guy every game I'd probably lose it.

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:38 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Joe, as in Bowen?

They are both Play by Play guys, neither does the colour commentary.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:39 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLer View Post
Even though he makes mistake, I will always love Bob Cole. We all had a good laugh when he said "Jim Van Reimsdyke" . Poor James will now forever be "Jim" Van Reimsdyke in my book.
Jim is another name for James. Like Bob and Robert.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:46 PM
TMLer
#HireJFJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Jim is another name for James. Like Bob and Robert.
I know but it was still amusing. Maybe because there was 50 other hiccups leading up to that one which is why I found it amusing.

Still luv ya, Bobby!

TMLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Jatt

Love Bob Cole, hate all the "he misses calls" compaints by people, so I actually paid attention to how many Hughson makes, and there's PLENTY, Hughson actually misses calling a GOAL more often in a game than Cole has in his entire career, "AND IT'S IN THE NET" (well after the fact), bet you read that in Hughson's voice and it sounds pretty darn familiar don't it?

Jatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:50 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLer View Post
I know but it was still amusing. Maybe because there was 50 other hiccups leading up to that one which is why I found it amusing.

Still luv ya, Bobby!
I didn't hear any mistakes. I guess I don't listen very closely.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Bob Cole is a legend, I could care less about a few mistakes.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Roboholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
People say Cole's time has come and gone, well Hughson's time never existed! He is a terrible commentator! Cole is the voice of HNIC, mistakes and all. I can handle the errors in the names and him not calling every little aspect of the game BECAUSE I AM WATCHING IT ON TV.
Agree with this 100%, this isn't raido, I don't need a perfect description of what's happening every minute.

It'll be a sad day in my books when he stops calliing games. Would love to see Joe Bowen take over on HNIC eventually but he's away to much of a homer.

Roboholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:04 PM

I have been listening to Bob Cole since he started on radio, broadcasting games in 1969. I thought he was the best then and I haven't changed my mind after all these years. I said on Saturday night, in another site, that Bob Cole ,despite being in his eightieth year, is still the second best voice on National broadcasts. I will give Chris Cuthbert a slight nod above him but I love Cole on Leafs broadcasts. You nit pickers must have broadcasting aspirations so I understand why you do that. I wonder how many here know that Cole represented Newfoundland as a curling skip in the Canadian curling championships on two different occasions..Just thought I would throw that in lol. Brad Gushue in his own mind lol

share is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:37 PM
DeputyMcLaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by share View Post
I have been listening to Bob Cole since he started on radio, broadcasting games in 1969. I thought he was the best then and I haven't changed my mind after all these years. I said on Saturday night, in another site, that Bob Cole ,despite being in his eightieth year, is still the second best voice on National broadcasts. I will give Chris Cuthbert a slight nod above him but I love Cole on Leafs broadcasts. You nit pickers must have broadcasting aspirations so I understand why you do that. I wonder how many here know that Cole represented Newfoundland as a curling skip in the Canadian curling championships on two different occasions..Just thought I would throw that in lol. Brad Gushue in his own mind lol
Absolutely, I can deal with mistakes as well, his voice just gets my blood going. It's even better when your at a bar that actually has the volume and you hear him say "And we got a scrap" EVERYONE stops what they're doing immediately.

DeputyMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafGardens View Post
This ^ i don't give a rats ass about a few mistakes and shut up about it one day your ass will be older too the legend Bob Cole is great and still calls the games a million times better than Hughson. Whoever the idiot is at the CBC who made the decision to replace Cole with Hughson on HNIC should be fired! Failed decision if there ever was one.

If anyone has the time today can they look up and post the CBC email addy so we can let the CBC know we want Cole back on Leafs HNIC and send Hughson and Simpson who suck large packing back to Vancouver thanks in advance.
Cole wasn't replaced by NHIC. He does the Habs games. believe it or not there is more to HNIC than the Leafs games.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
I was lucky enough to sit in the Broadcast Booth at the Gardens while Bob and Harry called the game, never forget it.

They did have a few cocktails while calling it. Great guys, chatted to us the entire Intermission.
wow that would be pretty awesome

Old
02-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
If anyone thinks Cole makes too many mistakes, be thankful that he isn't just blatantly blind due to homerism.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Clark4Ever

Bob Cole should call every single Leaf game on CBC while we are still blessed to have him around.

We have been robbed as Leaf fans over the last few years, it's as simple as that.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
wow that would be pretty awesome
Yeah it was pretty surreal hearing his voice come in my ear from the right instead of straight out from the tv.

Old
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRamsay View Post
Catching Bob's mistakes is part of the fun.

CBC's real mistake was letting go of Chris Cuthbert. He should have been Bob's replacement for Leaf games.
yes.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissociater View Post
Maybe 20 years ago he could call a game. Now he's confused, has trouble following the puck, mispronounces names or calls the wrong players the wrong names, is behind the play very often, gets excited at odd moments, and downplays exciting moments. Watch Saturday's game in 6 objectively, it's hilarious how bad he is at actually calling.
the one thing he DOESN'T do is mispronounce names. He goes to great effort to make sure he does it correctly.

just because it is different than everyone else doesn't mean it's wrong.

but he does make a lot of mistakes and as much as I loved listening to Bob for years, the Habs games, where not many people will hear, is the better place for him.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Yeah it was pretty surreal hearing his voice come in my ear from the right instead of straight out from the tv.
I would imagine. And I'm guessing you weren't a kid when you got to do this?

Old
02-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
yes.
Cuthbert was my favorite.

Did anyone pick him up?

And who did they replace him with? Is it just Hughson and Cole doing all the CBC games now?

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post

Did anyone pick him up?

And who did they replace him with? Is it just Hughson and Cole doing all the CBC games now?
he was TSN for a while. not sure now where he is

Old
02-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post

Did anyone pick him up?

He's at TSN.

I'm not a fan of Cole really, he just seems way behind the game for me to enjoy his voice. Hughson is okay, but the real stars are at TSN.